YOU'RE FIRED! - Disney Pulls Trigger on Guardians Director James Gunn

Wheel-Jack

Daaaamn... I wasn’t privy to what was said or done, specifically. But, I wonder if this is a case of having to look at what was said in a certain kind of context, or whether it really was as heinous as we’re being made to believe. Comedians say some dark things, on stage. You could argue that, for a guy like Gunn, with a background with the Troma people, his stage is Twitter, and he’s just doing a routine. Who knows. Either way, this really doesn’t bode well for retaining the overall quality of content, and vibe, for GOTG.

Wow! Stupid on Disney's part. When will the world learn that words are words and just leave it at that. I understand what he may have said was wrong (I have no idea what he said) but we have the freedom of expression in America and nobody should be punished for something that they say as it abridges the 1st Amendment rights of the American people no matter how people view it. That is just how it is. Words are words and nothing more.

2 minutes ago, anthonywayne said:

Who are these 'conservative personalities' they're referring to? Can we see some of their tweets and see if they need to be fired, too?

Exactly! If one person is to be scrutinized, then everyone should be held to the same standards and should all be faced with equal treatment so the playing field is fair for all players.

Guys,  James Gunn is a sick & depraved individual.  Research this further and you'll begin to understand that this rises far above politics. This is not an issue of Left Vs Right,  this is an issue of a man endorsing pedophilia, mocking those who suffer from Aids, mocking ethnic groups & much more. Prominent individual's must not be allowed to do or say terrible things,  just because they have power or make good films. They must be held accountable just as you or I would be under the same circumstances.

Ok, James Gunn said some really messed up things so I understand why Disney did what they did. The things he said was just insanely weird and demented. Yes he has freedom of expression but the things he said was Harvey Weinsteinish. And now I question James Gunn and I wonder if he is involved in some weird creepy stuff as well.

4 minutes ago, ransomz said:

A) I really hope this doesn't mean Gunn is a pedophile. I have my doubts about Singer.

B) This really sucks. Much like everyone else, I love these movies and really want to see the conclusion. I mean this sucks.

If it looks like a duck,  and quacks like a duck,  there's a high probability it's a duck,  or in this case a pedophile.

UPDATE: James Gunn has released a statement to Entertainment Weekly about his recent firing:

“My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.’

“Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all.”

1 hour ago, anthonywayne said:

Who are these 'conservative personalities' they're referring to? Can we see some of their tweets and see if they need to be fired, too?

This isn't about politics. This is about a prominent director who has for years posted depraved tweets for which he is now paying for. Gunn posted support for the North American Man-Boy Love Association aka NAMBLA for Pete's sake, it's sick.

5 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

UPDATE: James Gunn has released a statement to Entertainment Weekly about his recent firing:

“My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.’

“Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all.”

Translation from spin into English:  Oh crap, I got caught! Now I'll have my lawyers write up an "apology" that states that these horrible things I said we're just harmless "jokes", say I've learned from it, hopefully I won't be held accountable for it, and the sheeple will just forget about it.

Not to get too overly political here, but I see something of an unchecked level of hypocrisy in holding Gunn accountable for his d-bag, twisted statements of old — which they most certainly are, and should be — and yet, turning a blind eye to people like our own aspiring despot’s ‘Grab ‘em by the P#$$¥’ style statements... In other words, there’s a lot of grey area, here. Especially in this clash of the titans, Politically Correct versus Me Too, eras. I’m all for holding those who are less than savory, accountable. But, maybe we ought to make better efforts not to cherry pick which offenders we will or won’t go after, at a given time.

1 minute ago, Axonrey said:

Trump doesn't work for Disney. 

I'm not particularly sensitive, but i don't see "provocative" or "funny" in any of those comments.  I'm not a fire 'em guy in general, but i think in this case, it's just.  He tweeted some heinous things.   No further context is necessary.

I’m not talking about Disney, specifically... But the armchair and keyboard warriors who are raising their pitchforks and torches over this, yet cannot be bothered to recognize similarly heinous content being used by some of our nation’s leaders. I think there should be equal time spent calling out all such idiots.

To take this in a better direction; Who do we think should direct GOTG vol 3? Given how closely Thor: Ragnarok felt to that GOTG vibe, maybe it should be Taika Waititi. Although, a friend of mine thought of Guillermo del Toro.

58 minutes ago, sXeblues said:

Not to get too overly political here, but I see something of an unchecked level of hypocrisy in holding Gunn accountable for his d-bag, twisted statements of old — which they most certainly are, and should be — and yet, turning a blind eye to people like our own aspiring despot’s ‘Grab ‘em by the P#$$¥’ style statements... In other words, there’s a lot of grey area, here. Especially in this clash of the titans, Politically Correct versus Me Too, eras. I’m all for holding those who are less than savory, accountable. But, maybe we ought to make better efforts not to cherry pick which offenders we will or won’t go after, at a given time.

Please leave politics out of this conversation,  whatever the motivation for these tweets being exposed, it simply does not change the level of depravity shown by Mr.  Gunn. We all have our own political  opinions,  but I think we can all agree that when someone makes "jokes"  about molesting children, the political party we affiliate with is in no longer relevant. All Americans should condemn Mr. Gunns behavior no matter what personal political bias we have. Let us focus on this story that brings us together in the condemnation of pedophilia rather than attempt to draw equivalency between this and any random politically charged issue.

First thing I am gonna say about this:

"Private companies, private rules"

There is nothing political about this or first amendment and things of the sort. 

Now for the second part os my 2 cents on this:

The irony, is that he criticizes Trump and other people that have a different view from him and the mainstream Hollywood, highly progressive, leftist and things of the sort. These people cannot tolerate a different view on any subject, now try to dictate the rules, what can be shown, spoken and such. BUT, they forget that we are humans, we make mistakes, we are imperfect and sometimes we may say or do things that we regret later on. With the internet, nothing is forgotten, nothing is forever hidden anymore.  Someone cannot cal himself the bastion of self righteousness and have a dark past, because in the next second you are discovered, that crumbles and your hypocrisy will be shown. 

The worst part, is that the fans, cannot separate things and will support the person, no matter what bad thing they did, IF their political and ideological views are the same.  But this is wrong. You can't have double standards.  You can't throw stones at Roseanne and hold Gunn your arms and comfort him.  If both did "wrong", they both must suffer the consequences equally.  I say "wrong"  because I believe in liberty. Freedom. Real freedom. You can say and do literally whatever you want. BUT it is "freedom with responsibility"  Do as you please, but beware the consequences of your actions.  Right or wrong could be sometimes just a matter of perspective.  One exception that is very clear is the call for violence. Actual, physical violence. There is no excuse of that.

And once again it's not a freedom of speech thing.  They are not being persecuted by the government. 

Sure he apologized, said that he was terribly sorry and that he changed. Good for him. His conscious is clear. But if the company decided that it was in their best interest not to have their image linked to his, well, that is it.

Deal with it. 

The lesson is, don't be quick to judge others, to point flaws, because one day you are in the graces of "the people" but next you could see yourself on the wrong side of door and that door will shut on your face.  

On a more "mudane"  side of things, for us the fans of the MCU and GotG, let's see what happens to the franchise now. 

Sorry about the long post =]