SDCC 2018 - Hasbro's Marvel Legends Kingpin Build-A-Figure Booth Images

JayC

With today being the final day of the San Diego Comic Con things are starting to wind down, but here is a look at the recently announced Marvel Legends Kingpin Build-A-Figure that Hasbro put out in their booth this morning. This figure is part of the next Spider-Man themed wave due out towards the end of the year. Other figures announced for the wave include the Modern Symbiote, Red Goblin, Black Cat & Silver Sable. Check out the images for Kingpin below and see images of all the other figures revealed yesterday by clicking here. Thanks to SharimusPrime & Pixel-Dan for getting us these final images.

Marvel-Legends-Hasbro-Kingpin-BAF01.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Hasbro-Kingpin-BAF02.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Hasbro-Kingpin-BAF03.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Hasbro-Kingpin-BAF04.jpg.thumb.jpg.05848c6490d7a92b3f14555d1fed5a67.jpg

This  was a long time coming. We have waited and now the reward. I don't know about the rest of the wave, but the BAF will probably be the best piece and Silver Sable is second so far. The rest is very weak.

29 minutes ago, Asan517 said:

Awesome choice, would love for them to do a scorpion fig for the spider man line and a Nightcrawler for the xen line 

Remember that we still have NYCC and other international Cons. They'll probably reveal more figures.  Scorpion is a definitive possibility and Nightcrawler. 

I kept saying over and over that a Kingpin BAF would be awesome. I was saying the NEtflix Kingpin though but a BAF Kingpin is better than no BAF Kingpin. It is massive and looks amazing. I cant wait to get it!

Outstanding Kingpin figure, can't wait to see the 3rd head sculpt. The wave he comes in sucks so I'm just buying this by itself when it goes for sale. I can see Hasbro throwing on a Shadow King head sculpt on this & using it as the BAF of a future X-wave. As far as people saying it can be used for a classic Mr Hyde...no, Hyde isn't rotund, they might be able to use the arms & lower waist but the torso would have to be new as Hyde has a bit more muscular build & bit more tapered waist line, no pot belly. 

Mr Hyde 1.jpg

Honestly, I think it's too big for a Shadow King. Shadow King should have a smaller body which could be reused for a Doctor Faustus. That mold definitely doesn't work for a Mr. Hyde as the character is not that large, he's wide but not big. There's a trend where characters that are close to 7 feet tall but are wide in buff kind of a way get tend to be drawn as 8 to 9 feet tall. Modern writers are very guilty of this and as a consequence people tend to believe that character should be huge when in reality they are not. When we get a Mr.Hyde it should be a brand new sculpt. 

1 hour ago, belmont13 said:

Honestly, I think it's too big for a Shadow King. Shadow King should have a smaller body which could be reused for a Doctor Faustus. That mold definitely doesn't work for a Mr. Hyde as the character is not that large, he's wide but not big. There's a trend where characters that are close to 7 feet tall but are wide in buff kind of a way get tend to be drawn as 8 to 9 feet tall. Modern writers are very guilty of this and as a consequence people tend to believe that character should be huge when in reality they are not. When we get a Mr.Hyde it should be a brand new sculpt. 

Totally agree with you on the over sizing of certain characters such as Hulk, Juggs/Thanos/Thing/Hyde/Rhino. These characters are all large in a "massive" way but not hgt wise if ya know what I mean. I blame the artistic license that Marvel has allowed artists since the early 90s to get away with when drawing certain big characters such as Juggernaut who was originally listed at 6'10 but is now drawn close to 9ft tall. Hulk was always a 7 footer, now he's a 8 footer or sometimes even bigger. Rhino was just 6'5 but massive as is Thanos who is 6'7 but now skews in the 8ft range. The worst has been what Marvel has allowed artists to do with Ben, the Thing is 6ft 500lbs but now is drawn almost as big as the Hulk in the 7ft range. What made the Thing always appealing to me was that for his 6f t hgt, he always was the underdog vs the other heavy hitters of the MU such as the Hulk, Sasquatch, Gladiator, etc He might lose, but he'd go down fighting vs the big dogs.  Now his figure, while great overall, is too tall & I'm gonna be hard pressed to try & customize it down to a more decent size. It's like todays Marvel writers/artists equate power with size, the stronger the character, the bigger he has to be. With that mindset, DC should make Superman an 8 footer as well instead of keeping him at 6'3.  That's why I have never bought those Copiel Thor figs, they are too outta scale as are the Wrecking crew that they decided to turn into hulk size. The wrecking crew members range in hgt from 6'3 to 6'6, none are anywhere near 7ft tall. The Hyperion/Gladiator buck was the perfect buck for them with only Wrecker needing a new upper torso buck. That buck is perfect for characters in the 6-4- 6'5-6'6 range. Was surprised to not see a classic Doc Samson this yr as they can easily just have used that buck along with unworthy Thor head sculpt & Hyperion boots to do ol Leonard.  Sorry to drone on but I'm a super scale Nazi & like proper scale size in my ML figs. Thor is 6'6, no other Avenger should be anywhere his hgt yet I keep seeing Ironman now listed as being 6'6 in armor. I've been collecting Marvel comics since the 80s & I have never seen Ironman drawn the same hgt as Thor. Stark does not magically gain 5-6 inches in hgt just due to donning the armor, sorry, his boots do not have 5 inch lifts in them. The suit is form fitting so he should maybe gain an inch or 2 of hgt from the boots & helmet space, nothing more  That's why George Perez & John Byrne are my 2 favorite artists ever, they were sticklers for drawing every character at their proper hgt/scale. Way too many artists today just draw characters at whatever scale they feel like.  These 3 pics I posted show how big IM & just about every other Avenger other than She-Hulk (6'7) should be when next to Thor

Avengers 1.jpg

Avengers big 3.jpg

Avengers wallpaper.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 7:39 PM, Gmen4ever said:

Totally agree with you on the over sizing of certain characters such as Hulk, Juggs/Thanos/Thing/Hyde/Rhino. These characters are all large in a "massive" way but not hgt wise if ya know what I mean. I blame the artistic license that Marvel has allowed artists since the early 90s to get away with when drawing certain big characters such as Juggernaut who was originally listed at 6'10 but is now drawn close to 9ft tall. Hulk was always a 7 footer, now he's a 8 footer or sometimes even bigger. Rhino was just 6'5 but massive as is Thanos who is 6'7 but now skews in the 8ft range. The worst has been what Marvel has allowed artists to do with Ben, the Thing is 6ft 500lbs but now is drawn almost as big as the Hulk in the 7ft range. What made the Thing always appealing to me was that for his 6f t hgt, he always was the underdog vs the other heavy hitters of the MU such as the Hulk, Sasquatch, Gladiator, etc He might lose, but he'd go down fighting vs the big dogs.  Now his figure, while great overall, is too tall & I'm gonna be hard pressed to try & customize it down to a more decent size. It's like todays Marvel writers/artists equate power with size, the stronger the character, the bigger he has to be. With that mindset, DC should make Superman an 8 footer as well instead of keeping him at 6'3.  That's why I have never bought those Copiel Thor figs, they are too outta scale as are the Wrecking crew that they decided to turn into hulk size. The wrecking crew members range in hgt from 6'3 to 6'6, none are anywhere near 7ft tall. The Hyperion/Gladiator buck was the perfect buck for them with only Wrecker needing a new upper torso buck. That buck is perfect for characters in the 6-4- 6'5-6'6 range. Was surprised to not see a classic Doc Samson this yr as they can easily just have used that buck along with unworthy Thor head sculpt & Hyperion boots to do ol Leonard.  Sorry to drone on but I'm a super scale Nazi & like proper scale size in my ML figs. Thor is 6'6, no other Avenger should be anywhere his hgt yet I keep seeing Ironman now listed as being 6'6 in armor. I've been collecting Marvel comics since the 80s & I have never seen Ironman drawn the same hgt as Thor. Stark does not magically gain 5-6 inches in hgt just due to donning the armor, sorry, his boots do not have 5 inch lifts in them. The suit is form fitting so he should maybe gain an inch or 2 of hgt from the boots & helmet space, nothing more  That's why George Perez & John Byrne are my 2 favorite artists ever, they were sticklers for drawing every character at their proper hgt/scale. Way too many artists today just draw characters at whatever scale they feel like.  These 3 pics I posted show how big IM & just about every other Avenger other than She-Hulk (6'7) should be when next to Thor

Avengers 1.jpg

Avengers big 3.jpg

Avengers wallpaper.jpg

I agree, I consider George Perez to be one of the best if not the definitive Avengers artist.