2018 SDCC - Hasbro Marvel Legends Brand Team Interviews

JayC

As we close out our San Diego Comic Con coverage for the year we wanted to bring you a couple video interviews with Hasbro's Marvel Legends brand team members Dwight Stall and Ryan Ting.

We do apologize about the low audio on the first video. We experienced technical problems with the mic while filming. You may want to use ear phones in order to hear it better.

Also for a complete recap of all the Marvel Legends news from this years Comic-Con, be sure to check out this article and let us know what you thought about everything shown last week in the comment section below.

I really hope that they start completing teams that are not A-list Like the Avengers & X-Men are but that they start giving us at least the core members of  teams such as Alpha Flight, Imperial Guard, Squadron Supreme & the Masters of evil, especially the 80s version which IMO, is the powerfullest & has the best lineup. We also really need re-dos of the wrecking crew in correctly scaled bucks as those versions they made were giants & on that pretty bad T-Bird buck. A classic Thor with in scale wrecking crew boxset would be great as well as a Erik Josten Goliath BAF in the 10' scale. classic 80s Zemo,  Mr Hyde, Blackout, Grey Gargoyle, Moonstone, Titania & the fixer are also long overdue. When are we gonna get the 4 core members of the Starjammers, or do we have to wait for them to get a movie as well?  We need more members of the Serpent Society as well. Hasbro gave us the FF, though their version of the Torch was not all that great,  I had to go do my own version of what I wanted them to give us.   

Masters of evil #1.jpg

Human Torch front.JPG

Human Torch & Invisible woman.JPG

They will eventually remake everything Toybiz did. That's for sure. Yeah they have the main characters and can't leave those out because they push the sales and interest. But yes all the teams will be completed. The double joints on female figures thing I kinda agree because when they are too tiny and skinny it will look weird, but they can probably find a way to incorporate that alongside bicep swivel without braking the aesthetic of the figure.  The arm joint has to be too small and can either break or get loose really fast the arm is too thin.  And to keep the price point they will have to sacrifice something else, like paint. We don't want that. They hinted another female figure with double joints. I wonder if they will make yeat another She Hulk, whoever she is it still be a bigger character. 

11 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

Human Torch front.JPG

Human Torch & Invisible woman.JPG

I wasn’t at all dissatisfied with the ML Human Torch they gave us... But, I’m also really digging the look you drummed up for him. I would almost want one or two other small flames popping off of him, or perhaps the black lines running across his body, to look like he’s straight off the page of the classic comics. But, I’m still sitting here admiring the hell out of the way yours looks. What did you use to put him together?

Thanks. I just used an extra sunfire buck & the Torch head, washed, cleaned & primed em with grey primer, disassembled the figure & sanded it down to reduce paint rub, put em back together & painted him with some acrylic red n yellow, also used the open hands that came with the Spidey in the MJ 2 pack so now he has both fist n open hands. I don't have the steadiest hands so didn't attempt to draw in the black lines, they woulda come on all wavy n straggly like. Hopefully Hasbro gives us a more classic John Byrne Torch in a future FF wave as well as a more better scaled Thing as the one they released is almost Hulk sized. Gonna have to see if I can knock an inch of the one we're getting till then.

3 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

Thanks. I just used an extra sunfire buck & the Torch head, washed, cleaned & primed em with grey primer, disassembled the figure & sanded it down to reduce paint rub, put em back together & painted him with some acrylic red n yellow, also used the open hands that came with the Spidey in the MJ 2 pack so now he has both fist n open hands. I don't have the steadiest hands so didn't attempt to draw in the black lines, they woulda come on all wavy n straggly like. Hopefully Hasbro gives us a more classic John Byrne Torch in a future FF wave as well as a more better scaled Thing as the one they released is almost Hulk sized. Gonna have to see if I can knock an inch of the one we're getting till then.

Very cool, man... Thanks for the info!

1 minute ago, sXeblues said:

Very cool, man... Thanks for the info!

No problema. I'm strictly ol school Marvel & just collect comic based figs. I am a huge stickler for accuracy in comic based figs especially scale. That's why Hopefully if I ever get my hands on a Thing fig, I'm gonna attempt some scale down surgery on ol Ben as he is not supposed to be Hulk sized no matter how artists today wanna depict him. That's why great artists like George Perez & John Byrne are my all time top 2 fav artists, they always stuck to scale when they drew their characters in both the Marvel & DC universe & even in indie titles that they did. At one time in the late 70s & pretty much all of the 80s, these 2 guys were the be all & end all of drawing just about every single super hero team & solo hero you could think of. Perez drew the entire epic 12 part "Crisis on infinite earths" in 86' & Byrne did the 6 issue series "Legends, not too mention his epic work with Chris Claremont on Marvel team up, Ironfist, & of course X-Men , FF & Hulk for Marvel. Perez has an even bigger resume & FYI  co-created the Teen Titans,  Deathstroke the Terminator, Taskmaster & the 1st ever Puerto Rican superhero, the White Tiger in the mid 70s. I implore anyone who is not familiar with these 2 legendary artists to go out & get all their work in trade paperback novels, you won't regret it. I always envisioned all their drawn characters as action figures & wish Hasbro would do a wave or 2 of all the big guns based on their art.  Perez Ironman is to die for as a figure! His Cap/Thor are epic as well. Perfect scale.

IRON MAN George Perez.jpg

Avengers by GP.jpg

avengers_george_perez_.jpg

14 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

No problema. I'm strictly ol school Marvel & just collect comic based figs. I am a huge stickler for accuracy in comic based figs especially scale. That's why Hopefully if I ever get my hands on a Thing fig, I'm gonna attempt some scale down surgery on ol Ben as he is not supposed to be Hulk sized no matter how artists today wanna depict him. That's why great artists like George Perez & John Byrne are my all time top 2 fav artists, they always stuck to scale when they drew their characters in both the Marvel & DC universe & even in indie titles that they did. At one time in the late 70s & pretty much all of the 80s, these 2 guys were the be all & end all of drawing just about every single super hero team & solo hero you could think of. Perez drew the entire epic 12 part "Crisis on infinite earths" in 86' & Byrne did the 6 issue series "Legends, not too mention his epic work with Chris Claremont on Marvel team up, Ironfist, & of course X-Men , FF & Hulk for Marvel. Perez has an even bigger resume & FYI  co-created the Teen Titans,  Deathstroke the Terminator, Taskmaster & the 1st ever Puerto Rican superhero, the White Tiger in the mid 70s. I implore anyone who is not familiar with these 2 legendary artists to go out & get all their work in trade paperback novels, you won't regret it. I always envisioned all their drawn characters as action figures & wish Hasbro would do a wave or 2 of all the big guns based on their art.  Perez Ironman is to die for as a figure! His Cap/Thor are epic as well. Perfect scale.

Oh, I am most definitely familiar with Perez and Byrne! Between Crisis, Titans and the post crisis Man of Steel, which are some of my first loves, comic book-wise. I’m not as familiar with their Marvel work. But they are indeed two classic, iconic artists. :smile:

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:40 AM, sXeblues said:

Oh, I am most definitely familiar with Perez and Byrne! Between Crisis, Titans and the post crisis Man of Steel, which are some of my first loves, comic book-wise. I’m not as familiar with their Marvel work. But they are indeed two classic, iconic artists. :smile:

You really need to get their "Masterworks" books. Their work in Marvel is legendary. I think Perez last Marvel work was the Avengers/JLA 4 part team up in 2004 I wanna say.