Disney & Fox Approve Merger Deal

JayC

The votes are in and according to THR, both Disney and Fox Shareholders this morning approved the $71.3 billion deal merger deal between the two companies.

The portion of Fox that Disney proposed to purchase includes the TV and movie studios, Star India, FX, Nat Geo, Fox's 30 percent stake in Hulu and Fox's 39 percent stake in Sky, the European pay TV company that Comcast is looking to acquire.

The deal has been said have regulatory approval and last month the U.S. Justice Department did give it's blessing for the merger.

The deal does not include Fox News.

The deal is definitely good news for Marvel fans waiting for Marvel Studio's to regain the rights to popular characters such as the X-Men and Fantastic Four, however many fear this will give Disney a virtual monopoly on the overall movie industry which is not viewed by some as a good thing.

What are your thoughts, is the Disney/Fox merger a good thing and which Fox owned Marvel character do you want to see appear in the MCU first?

Disney-Fox__scaled_600.jpg

This is definitely scary. Disney now owns most of the mainstream entertainment industry, and that can't be a good thing. If only one company owns all this, diversity and creativity in movies, shows and other media will be extremely limited. Just one company, one vision. Another scary thing could be that the products will decrease in quality, since there will be almost no competition. Just my thoughts.

Anyway, putting conspiracy theories aside, I would love to see Dr. Doom made justice in the big screen.

I can definitely see an Avengers vs X-Men in the future.  How awesome that would be!!!

I really hope that the announcement comes at NYCC. They have time to do that. 

Perfect timing for a shift in reality after Avengers 4 to expand all those characters back into the universe, I could see a scenario where it plays out much like the Sentry's origin, where when everything is reset to "normal" there are all these characters that noone remembers suddllenly back., exciting for marvel films the rest is a bit scary, too much control for one company.

I am totally pumped! I'm a big fan of the X-Men and FF characters and would love to see them done right and in the MCU. I've enjoyed some of the X-Men movies, but they really are not well done enough and too far afield from the comics for me. No offense to Hugh Jackman, but he was never really Wolverine. The gravelly voice worked sometimes. I just opened the new ML Wolverine figure and it's great. Short, ugly, hairy and extremely bad tempered looking. Wolverine was such a dick when he started in the comics. Too much Magneto and Mystique in the movies. Fassbender was great but I never thought they handled Mystique right. And that make up was so horrible. They took two of the most beautiful women in the world and made them look ugly. Mystique is hot. They put this disgusting crap on their faces. And it's an ugly blue they've chosen. I know the MCU is going to do it right. Hopefully Feige sticks around at Disney long enough to make sure it's the done the way it should be.

I’m of two minds on this... On the one hand, of course I’m all kinds of excited to potentially see the X-Men and Fantastic Four and such, crossing over with the MCU. But, on the other hand, talk about a monopoly on the entertainment industry. Much as I love Disney’s animated and comic book movie output, for them to be lording over practically all of it, is a little disconcerting.

Ok, long read ahead. Sorry in advance.

I don't get the "OMG DISNEY MONOPOLY!!!" reactions to this.

First of all, 20th Century Fox (the studio) will still be around as a subsidiary. Disney has been really great at letting each studio be it's own studio.  There's a reason Pixar is still the preeminent animation studio (with Disney Animation nipping at its heels) and Marvel Studios has basically written new rules and set a new standard for blockbuster flicks. Besides, one of the reasons Disney grabbed them is because they need a studio to produce the occasional R-rated film and "prestige" pics (via Searchlight), which is something they've been missing since they got rid of Miramax. Fox gives them that. Plus, we'll most likely get to see the Fox searchlights and fanfare in front of Star Wars flicks again. :) But the truth is, this acquisition (not a "merger") was more about increasing brands and brand footprints, gaining control of Hulu and a million other things (including getting Sky plc for it's massive share of the Euro market)  than it was about "controlling the industry" or simply getting certain film rights to Marvel characters and the original Star Wars trilogy. Disney's just making the moves it needs to make. This is a rapidly changing business and sitting still will get you either acquired or just plain left behind. Fox Corp say this and realized they better sell while the selling's good.

Second, take a good look at the entertainment biz and tell me what you see? You will no doubt notice that there are now 5 (6 if you still include 20th Century Fox) major studios, all of them owned by a conglomerate of mass media enterprises. Competition is fierce and there's plenty of it. We've moved into the age of oligarchies (which is just as bad, and can be even worse than a monopoly) in all sectors. Take a gander down the frozen food aisle or cleaning aisle or...#$##, any aisle, and you'll discover that for every sector, there are 2 or 3 major players who own damn-near all of it. I don't like it, but I'll happily take Disney owning more of it than these other entities. Not one of them has such a track record of sustained excellence over the past decade. From Wikipedia, but it's accurate:

Studio parent
(conglomerate)
Major film studio unit Date founded Arthouse/indie Genre movie/B movie Animation Other divisions and brands US/CA market share (2017)[6]
NBCUniversal
(Comcast)
Universal Pictures 1912 14.98%3
Viacom
(National Amusements)
Paramount Pictures 1912   4.82%6
Sony Pictures
(Sony)
Columbia Pictures 1918 9.87%5
WarnerMedia
(AT&T)
Warner Bros. Pictures 1923 18.50%2
Walt Disney Studios
(The Walt Disney Company)
Walt Disney Pictures 1923 21.82%1
Fox Entertainment Group
(21st Century Fox)
20th Century Fox 1935 Fox Searchlight Pictures

12.92%4

@Hai_Karate, You make a compelling argument... I’m nowhere near as ‘in the know’ on the ramifications of all of this, as you appear to be. So, as with all things, I suppose only time will tell whether this is for better or worse. Truth be told, I just want good, solid entertainment. I’m much more worried about the current sociopolitical climate, than this scenario, when you get right down to it.

I am definitely stoked for the potential of the Fantastic 4 and X-Men (and their respective corps of marquis villains!) to be integrated w/in the MCU. However, I think it is certainly more than fair for reasonable people to air concern regarding the potential monopoly of ideas that this entertainment media merger creates. If you are someone, like me, who feels that the Last Jedi was an abomination of bad story telling, characterization, structure and SJW agenda, then this merger certainly presents concerns for how the stories may be compromised to enable a cultural shaping agenda born of intent to market to wider audiences, all for the sake of more money. Let us keep our fingers crossed that the powers at Disney and Marvel Studios continue to strike the right balance between soirce materials and adaptation as has been seen thus far in the MCU.