Fox Delays X-Men: Dark Phoenix & Gambit Movies & Announces Surprise Deadpool Movie For End Of The Year

JayC

Just days after 20th Century Fox released the first trailer for the upcoming X-Men: Dark Phoenix movie, they announced that the movie's release has been pushed from February 14, 2019 to June 7, 2019..

Fox also announced they will be releasing an as-of-yet untitled Deadpool movie this year on December 21, which no one up until now has heard anything about. The chances Fox made a new Deadpool movie without anyone ever catching wind of it is nearly impossible, which has led many to believe this will just be a kid-friendly version of one of the previous 'R' rated Deadpools. Either that or maybe they will release as a feature movie the previously canceled Deadpool animated series that was slated for FX.

This week's X-Men trailer was not received well by many fans who long for the day when Disney's Marvel Studios will take over the franchise, but it is unclear if this release date move is a sign that the studio has a lack of faith in the movie or perhaps the opposite. Summer release dates are often herald for those films expected to do well at the box office, but this isn't the first time this movie has been delayed. Originally this film was supposed to open next month in November and was delayed until 2019 so re-shoots could be done. There has been no word any more re-shoots are planned during this delay, but who knows.

Fox also announced that the still directorless Gambit movie which would star Channing Tatum has also been delayed again, this time going from June 7, 2019 to March 13, 2020.

The Disney/Fox merger is expected to be completed sometime in 2019, at which point Disney will have full control of all these properties and when or if they will actually be released. My guess at that point movies like Gambit and New Mutants will be completely scrapped, and while I have little doubt X-Men: Dark Phoenix will be a train wreck, being the money has already been spent to make it, Disney will likely still opt to release it.

1 of 1

as much as I want them to cancel them, even I have to admit if you put so much money into making it it most be released. I mean they have to pay all the people working on it and not just the actors. 

as for Gambit, just give it up already. but what they should do it take Gambit and use it to launch the X-men into the MCU instead of it being part of the Fox-#$##-Verse.

As long as Ryan Reynolds is keep as Deadpool, I don't care what happens to the rest.

I also think that they should just drop everything. 

But like Jay said, Dark Phoenix is unlikely to be cancelled due to the already spent money. And it was a pretty penny. I'm will say that I'm interested to see this new take on the storyline. Sure, I'm not expecting an amazing movie, but it will probably be much better than the first attempt to tell the story.

Those generic outfits are beyond disappointing and we had a glimpse of those things a few months ago when a movie theater released pictures or leaked, can't remember, of they promotional material for the movie. We had hopes that it wasn't the case. Unfortunately it is. 

About the other movies I am like 100% certain that they will be cancelled. Can't remember they status of New Mutants, since a trailer dropped not long ago. More like a teaser, but still. Can't remember if the production was halted or if they actually got part of the movie done.

About DP, the cartoon is definitely a possiblity. Since it's much complicated to develops a full film in one year. No script, director or anything. If they rush this just to make sure buck might undermine everything that has been achieved so far. But I think that they will make this cartoon a series. We'll probably hear something more conclusive soon, because like I said it's almost impossible to get a good original movie in less than two years with all the special effects and post production done. Not taking into account possible reshoots.

OMG just cancel this already, you know the movie is going to be bad when its been pushed back not once, not twice but three times now. The trailer looks so boring!, I understand Fox at least wanting to get a little bit back of what it put into it since they have already spent the money, but seriously this is just sad.
BTW I was scrolling through the tv the other day and X-Men Apocalypse was on (and yeah I know its bad) but it was the scene where the "kids" go to the mall and after coming out of the movies they are discussing wether Empire was better or not (cant really recall), anyway I believe Jean says something like "we can all agree the third one is always the worse" (this being by many considered a dig on X-men 3: The Last Stand being the worse of the original X-men movies), but now all I could think about was... "Well X-Men Apocalypse is also the 3rd movie in the new X-men movies, and it also happens to be the worse one (yet)" I wonder if this is just a funny/sad coincidence or the writers knew all along it was gonna be the case.

I believe completely that Ryan Reynolds is the only actor that Marvel Studios would want to continue on as the same character he played in the Fox movies. Deadpool's 4th wall breaking helps with this.  Fox doing one last Deadpool before the deal closes doesn't surprise me. 

It amazes me that everyone is so quick to poo-poo Dark Phoenix. 

Ryan Reynolds was meant to play Deadpool just like Wesley Snipes was born to be Blade.

I’m not writing off Dark Phoenix completely, but that was a weak teaser for me. After Apocalypse, Fox can’t afford that. They need to capture the attention of their base from the start and build on it. As of right now, I saw nothing that would make me want to see this in theaters.

Wow, they just released the trailer! At this point you gotta wonder are they scared of the fan backlash or just aren’t ready? And is the film even gonna be worth the watch and all this trouble? I’d say just go ahaead and scrap the film, but like you said they already made it so why not go ahead and release it? I don’t know man, just ain’t looking good for Fox X-Men but hopefully this opens the door for for Marvel Studios/Disney reboots if the Main X-Men!!!!

On 9/29/2018 at 1:04 PM, mako said:

Just to be clear, I don't expect a new fully-realized Deadpool movie. On the other hand, if they DID, who's to say it would be rushed? If they were able to film an entire movie in secret, then who's to say when they started pre-production. What about all that talk of extra X-Force footage they filmed to fool fans before DP2s release? What if that was just smoke to cover-up filming of another movie?

Come to think of it, Ryan Reynolds has been relatively quiet lately... and for Reynolds, that's unusual.

He is a loudmouth. If they had something he wouldn't be quiet about it.  

I have read that a movie takes two years to be made. Pre-production takes 6 months. They could shoot the whole thing ins 4 months, not less. Post-production takes no less than 2 months IF they don't have re-shoots or lot of CGI to make. If this movie was shot back to back with the last one, I would say that one years is enough like Avengers 3 and 4. That is basically one huge movie split in two parts.  

The extra scenes will go to the bluray and they had released a director's cut also. 

5 hours ago, Falls22 said:

Wow, they just released the trailer! At this point you gotta wonder are they scared of the fan backlash or just aren’t ready? And is the film even gonna be worth the watch and all this trouble? I’d say just go ahaead and scrap the film, but like you said they already made it so why not go ahead and release it? I don’t know man, just ain’t looking good for Fox X-Men but hopefully this opens the door for for Marvel Studios/Disney reboots if the Main X-Men!!!!

Maybe they are pushing it to be as close as possible to the Disney deal, so that when it happens, people don't care as much. 

The movie is happening. It's done. The other productions could be stopped indefinitely because they are either half way done or still in pre production .

Of these three projects the only one I'm excited about is New Mutants. Can't care about X-Men anymore, and that DP movie sounds false or too rushed to cash in on a property. I hope they don't just go and do it and end up ruining a good series.

Only good X-Men shows have been a few of the animated ones. Vast majority of the live ones have stunk. Best live action Colossus is the DP version, isn't that sad that a non X-Men movie gave us the best live version of Peter Rasputin.  And sorry, but no more 6'3 Jackman as 5'3 Wolverine, can Hollywood actually cast a short built actor that is in shape to play Wolverine?  They've been great at getting the vast majority of their actors to be close to or the actual hgt of the character they are portraying except for Wolverine.  I'll settle for someone in the 5'5-5'9 category. 

19 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

Only good X-Men shows have been a few of the animated ones. Vast majority of the live ones have stunk. Best live action Colossus is the DP version, isn't that sad that a non X-Men movie gave us the best live version of Peter Rasputin.  And sorry, but no more 6'3 Jackman as 5'3 Wolverine, can Hollywood actually cast a short built actor that is in shape to play Wolverine?  They've been great at getting the vast majority of their actors to be close to or the actual hgt of the character they are portraying except for Wolverine.  I'll settle for someone in the 5'5-5'9 category. 

I am one of those as well who didn't like any of the live action movies. I think they should definetely recast Wolverine, keep that Colossus, and cancel Gambit and make a good X-Men movie with a good Gambit character in it.

Would like to also see Disney/Marvel give a shot to Fantastic Four! No one seems to get them right.

I do not see the point in any of these movies coming out. I know some are done so they mine as well but it might be better to put them out on a streaming service or just release the blu ray so people could just buy it or more likely rent it. They seem to have little faith in what they made why should the fans feel any different 

Could New Mutants really be on the chopping block if there's already footage? I can understand Gambit, since there hasn't been anything(that I know of), but I'm hopeful New Mutants still has a chance.. Even if it does look pretty out there.
As far as Dark Phoenix ending as a grande finale to that line of movies.. I'll remain cautiously hopeful.