Jump to content
JayC

Marvel Legends Archangel Figure Video Review & Images

Recommended Posts

FO Hulk , classic Vulture & classic Lizard still are great TB figs. I didn't like the Hasbro Lizard as it's too large & has more of a dinosaur head than Lizard head.  IMO, the 2nd best superhero based line ever is the DCUC. All classic versions & they did their damn best to complete all the major & even minor DC teams of both  heroes & villians. I mean they made the entire core membership of the LOSH as a SDCC exclusive!  How I wish Hasbro would do this for either the Imperial Guard or the Squadron supreme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, americamgl said:

 

Now, there are some Toy Biz ML that are still good until this day. The Beast, Colossus, Face-Off Captain America, Face-Off Hulk. Again this is just my opinion.

I agree whole-heartedly. And how about toybiz mr sinister?!  THE ONLY ONE WE HAVE. Terrible lol. He might as well be a statue he can barely move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would definitely agree with you all in saying alot if not most of TBs figures have not withstood the test of time nor were most that great even back then. Hasbro has a good formula (even if its because they are cheap and saving money) by reusing alot of body molds. It gives a nice uniformity as well as when something works why try to fix it? TB almost always did new bucks on alot of their figures and with mixed results. Ive found myself selling off alot of them to replace them with Hasbro iterations. I also love the uniformity when it comes to the accessories, making customs very easy in a very kitbash style with very little effort. Their biggest drawback is the lack of LARGE BAFs but Ive found myself getting over that with the overall quality of them all. They are far from perfect but they are overall pretty damn good. There are a few quality figs from TB non BAF that I think still hold up pretty well.. Both Colossus' for example still look awesome but there are very few that I see not being worthy of keeping over what Hasbro has made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't blame TB because at the time, the technology was not around for them to do better figs & they were really hung up on giving their figs as much POA as possible. I mean they would even articulate every individual finger on their figs as well as toe cuts. That's like 35 POA on a 6' figure. While cool at the time, as the months & yrs went by, after so much constant reposing, those joints got loose & wobbly & you had cases of  figures diving off shelves & breaking. Or they would flop over on the shelves. IMO, 21-24 POA is the perfect amount needed for a 6' scale figure. 

 

I love just about all the new bucks Hasbro has been doing, especially the butterfly articulation. It allows for much more dynamic poses on the figure & it's especially ideal for slimmer type builds such as Spidey/Sunfire/Human torch which I used it for to make my own custom classic Torch. Then the Speed Demon buck is awesome for runners such as him & Quicksilver, though QS could also look good on the Sunfire buck as well. The new Hercules upper body buck is ideal for buff heroes/villians in the 6'5 6'6 range. Classic Thor needs to utilize that upper torso of Herc's.  So would a new T-bird.

 

TB Colossus while great, suffers from the wobbly ankle syndrome due to being pretty top heavy. I look forward to when Hasbro gives us a re-do of classic 70s/80s Colossus. 

 

If there are 4 characters that I really hope Hasbro does over again is the Wrecking crew. I hate that they utilized that awful T-bird buck from like 10yrs ago for them. One, they are not 8ft giants, 2, they make 3 of the 4 in their classic looks but make Bulldozer in his more modern look. The 4 members of the crew range in hgts of 6'3 to 6'6 with T-Ball being the tallest member. The new Young Thor buck is ideal for the crew with only the Wrecker needing a new upper body sculpt due to his collared jacket. The other 3 can be on the same buck as their costumes are all the same with BD just needing some sculpted pieces on his wrists/boots & upper torso/shoulder area. Gimme figures  based on these Marvel busts by Bowen on the Young Thor buck  & I'm a very happy camper. Their MU 4' scale versions were perfect! Just scale those 4 up to the 6' scale. I need em to start rounding out my classic Masters of evil team. 

Wrecking crew MU.jpg

wrecking crew busts.jpg

Wrecking crew.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Gmen4ever said:

I don't blame TB because at the time, the technology was not around for them to do better figs & they were really hung up on giving their figs as much POA as possible. I mean they would even articulate every individual finger on their figs as well as toe cuts. That's like 35 POA on a 6' figure. While cool at the time, as the months & yrs went by, after so much constant reposing, those joints got loose & wobbly & you had cases of  figures diving off shelves & breaking. Or they would flop over on the shelves. IMO, 21-24 POA is the perfect amount needed for a 6' scale figure. 

 

 

 

I agree ToyBiz did do the best they could with the current technology and examples set before them. They were awesome at the time. We can look back on anything and kind of laugh at it with the technology we have now. Computers, cellphones, whatever. It’s easy to look at old stuff now and say it’s crap but it was just setting the groundwork for what we have now. Good call on the Hercules buck being a good buck for some figures we still need made, in particular Warpath (one of my favorites). Though I think he might be a tad tall for him. I don’t think Warpath is quite as tall as the old figure scaled. Though artist renditions have changed his size a bit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 7:14 PM, Gmen4ever said:

FO Hulk , classic Vulture & classic Lizard still are great TB figs. I didn't like the Hasbro Lizard as it's too large & has more of a dinosaur head than Lizard head.  IMO, the 2nd best superhero based line ever is the DCUC. All classic versions & they did their damn best to complete all the major & even minor DC teams of both  heroes & villians. I mean they made the entire core membership of the LOSH as a SDCC exclusive!  How I wish Hasbro would do this for either the Imperial Guard or the Squadron supreme.

You know who is an awesome toybiz figure I forgot to mention- Modok!  He was an awesome baf!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JKenbok said:

You know who is an awesome toybiz figure I forgot to mention- Modok!  He was an awesome baf!

I agree. And it was during a time where Toybiz was cheapening their plastic quality which is saying alot! Mojo isnt bad either but he suffers from some not great engineering. I always liked Toybiz's Venoms as well altho there were some that arent definitive versions tho. The TB Icons Venom is phenomenal. The Hobgoblin and the Green Goblin they did are also great except for their emo kid legs. They looked like they came right out of the comics/cartoon with those head sculpts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MODOK was cool but since TB never did any AIM figures, it kinda never was a must complete BAF for me. The MS Watcher figure is also perfect to scale with ML figures too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Gmen4ever said:

MODOK was cool but since TB never did any AIM figures, it kinda never was a must complete BAF for me. The MS Watcher figure is also perfect to scale with ML figures too. 

Good call. MODOK works with the current aim figures for me. But he’s expensive to get now if you didn’t complete him previously.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet Hasbro could do a killer MODOK that would blow away the TB version. They should do an exclusive boxset of a new MODOK with 3-4 AIM Bee keeper grunts, I'd get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

I bet Hasbro could do a killer MODOK that would blow away the TB version. They should do an exclusive boxset of a new MODOK with 3-4 AIM Bee keeper grunts, I'd get it.

I feel like that will be a bit tough for Hasbro as Modok really need some good paint apps to look good since hes a giant face essentially. Not saying they couldnt do it, they for sure could pull it off. I just think its going to be much more of a challenge for them as they use very little paint and mostly go off of the plastics to get the desired effects without taking a hit in costs. Modok is literally a figure that would be mostly all makeup paint. Would be interesting to see. Im actually very curious to see how Hasbro will handle remaking Toybiz BAF characters. Im sure its going to be a big challenge for them to overcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well since it seems like they are either reluctant to do 16' scale BAFs such as Sentinels, Galactus, etc  or just don't want to, we may never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like eventually we will get Modok though. They’re already giving us a new Arnim Zola and MODOK was pre that. Being that they just released that sentinel set though I doubt we’re getting another of those anytime soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Galactus they would probably re-release with new paint apps the old Marvel Universe or ToyBiz baf like they did the sentinel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rehashing old BAF molds from 8yrs ago is just Hasbro phoning it in. They will get 0$ from me pulling that stunt. The SDCC Sentinel was $49 back when it 1st came out in the 4' scale MU line as part of their gigantic battles line.  So tell me how that same $49 figure even with a $20 figure rates to go for $100 8yrs later. They charging an extra $30 for the pretty box?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gmen4ever said:

Rehashing old BAF molds from 8yrs ago is just Hasbro phoning it in. They will get 0$ from me pulling that stunt. The SDCC Sentinel was $49 back when it 1st came out in the 4' scale MU line as part of their gigantic battles line.  So tell me how that same $49 figure even with a $20 figure rates to go for $100 8yrs later. They charging an extra $30 for the pretty box?

And the Legends Days of Future past 6” Wolverine. But yeah I get your point. I have the old sentinel so I just bought the Wolverine figure separately. I do want more sentinels and those toybiz ones are usually @ $200. I can’t spend that but I also don’t wanna spend the $100 on this set either. It’s a crappy situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is. I also would love to get at least 2 more TB Sentinels but am not forking over $200 per! I don't know if Hasbro has the molds of the TB version but if they did, it would be awesome if they could repaint them in the more classic comic based colors & re-release them as part of some online exclusive for $65 even $75, it beats the $200 the thieves want on ebay.  Or make a new Sentinel figure based on the classic DOFP designs by John Byrne & make em 12' scale. I'd easily pay $49.99 for that & get 6 of em!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

Rehashing old BAF molds from 8yrs ago is just Hasbro phoning it in. They will get 0$ from me pulling that stunt. The SDCC Sentinel was $49 back when it 1st came out in the 4' scale MU line as part of their gigantic battles line.  So tell me how that same $49 figure even with a $20 figure rates to go for $100 8yrs later. They charging an extra $30 for the pretty box?

Its because they are seeing a huge resurgence of Xmen things. That and it seems like they are pushing Xmen alot harder now. Its stupid af but people are buying it because of the demand. Both those figures in my opinion are ugly as all hell. It blows my mind how many people accept that ugly ass wolverine head as if its at any point good. It makes the ultimate wolverine figure actually look BETTER. 

 

4 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

It is. I also would love to get at least 2 more TB Sentinels but am not forking over $200 per! I don't know if Hasbro has the molds of the TB version but if they did, it would be awesome if they could repaint them in the more classic comic based colors & re-release them as part of some online exclusive for $65 even $75, it beats the $200 the thieves want on ebay.  Or make a new Sentinel figure based on the classic DOFP designs by John Byrne & make em 12' scale. I'd easily pay $49.99 for that & get 6 of em!

I have 2 TB Sentinels and have had all but one piece for a third for like 10 years now. I just need the main upper torso and its been nearly impossible to find unless I pay essentially the price of ONE fully built sentinel to get. buch of BS. If Hasbro had the molds and were smart, they would just rebrand those molds and sell them like hotcakes. But instead they like selling toy versions that talk instead. Altho even if they had those molds, you can guarantee their paint apps would be lack luster and make those figures look like total butt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, but I'd much  rather re-buy the TB Sentinels & repaint em myself if need be over the crap version they came out with & are trying to sell off for $80 along with a $20 umpteenth Wolverine figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like em both, but I prefer Hasbro's Sentinel more. It's bigger and more along the lines of the classic and/or animated Sentinel I grew up with.

I just removed the shoulder pads off of mine last night. Going to try and smooth off the things that held those pads on.

Though, I haven't seen a Toybiz baf repainted, I can't imagine it looking better than the original paint job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hasbro Sentinel & TB Sentinel are the exact same hgt, 16' scale, Hasbro version is more bulkier if that's what you mean by "bigger". Other than that, the TB Sentinel has way more POA, especially the mid torso joint that allows it to bend over unlike the Hasbro version that only has waist swivel. Hasbro sculpters  could do an incredible 12' scaled accurate DOFP BAF Sentinel if they so chose to do so, & many would buy it!  These Sentinels would require just an easy smooth humanoid body with metallic paints, alternate open/fist hands & a few weapons effects accessories. These are & always will be my all time favorite versions of the Sentinels. Heck, they were the ones used in the 90s X-Men animated series as well.

Sentinels days-of-future-past.png

Sentinels kill X-men.jpg

Sentinels_Part_Two.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×







Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE