NYCC 2018 Official Discussion

tarot

It's that time of the year again guys. for the new guys we have strict rules. It also should be noted that Hasbro usually does only one day reveals and no panel. I don't think that has changed but keep it in mind.

As alway:

• DO NOT POST PICS OR LINK TO OTHER SITES.
    • I know we all get excited when we read something on another site but please know that this site will post news and images on the main page. You are allow to write what other sites have reported, that fine as we know we can't stop you all from doing that but don't post any pics or link. That plus our boss get really mad at us lol :P
  • Don't not make multiple thread discussing the same thing.
    • Keep all Toyfair/SDCC/Hascon/NYCC news to this thread. If you have an opinion or even anger rant (come one we know some one will), please post it here. If we MODs see a thread like this one, it will be merged together with this one.
  • Try and keep wishlist til after the Toyfair/SDCC/Hascon/NYCC (Sunday or Monday).
    • We are not going to ban wishlist thread, in fact we like them, but there is really no point in making a list until we know all that is coming out. Also their will usually be the annual "Post SDCC/Hascon/NYCC Wishlist" Thread going up on Monday.
  • NEW RULE! DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A MCU VS COMIC THREAD!!
    • Over the past couple of months there has been an increase in threads going from talking about one particular topic into a thread filled with MCU VS Comic or Peg Cloggin. Keep this thread talking about the reveals and figures. Nothing else. BUT if you don't like the MCU figures revealed then you can say that.

Soooooo...Caliban. Hm. Caliban. Not Guido. Caliban.

Forge. Kool.

Night Thrasher....with nary another New Warrior in sight.

Beta. Ray. Bill. Along with Hercules (is there going to be a Thor wave no one told me about?). 

Black Suit Spider-Man/Kraven 2 pack. Looks like they changed up Kraven's appearance.

Supreme Leader/Arnim Zola 2 pack is the business! Lovin Zola.

Ebony Maw & Corvus Glaive (my all time favorite comic character name). Heh heh heh. I don't think any team has been completed so quickly!

4 minutes ago, Rukkdeez said:

Night Thrasher....with nary another New Warrior in sight.

you forget Nova and sometimes Darkhawk. Also both Scarlet Spiders, Dagger and Sam Alexander Nova have been members as well.

Any how.

Corvus Glaive and Ebony Maw are nice to complete the MCU Black Order. I hope someday we get their comic versions alongside Supergiant.

Beta Ray Bill - Based on the Unworthy Thor run. Nice to get an update as my BRB has 2 left legs and an arm that can't move down. My guess either the Capt Marv wave or the Avengers

Forge - Nice to get a waaaayyyy better version of this. Now I don't have to tell my readers to get that 2 pack for forge.

Jubilee - we are extremely close to completing the 90's X-men. just need a hand full more character and a number of remakes. 

Caliban - Wow! Was never, ever expecting that. Bravo Hasbro. No Strong Guy yet but this is a great sub.

Night Trasher - As always Hasbro surprises us with a requested character. Yes. Plus he has a skateboard. A frigging Stakeboard. Rocket Racer later maybe

Kraven and Spidey- It's nice that Hasbro are continuing the famous cover 2-pack. This looks nice but it may be one I hold off on getting. Have both version anyway.

Hydra Cap and Armin Zola - will get this. It looks great. I don't even mind them re-releasing the Armin Zola as they have changed it sooo much. Dimension Z was a fantastic storyline. I can already see Civil Warrior repaint as part of the Avengers wave. but glad to get this figure. 

Shadow King - this is the only thing that pisses me off. Not that we are getting him but the fact I have to buy a second Kingpin to make him. Hasbro you really want my money. 

Bob - Eh. give me a reason to get the Hydra set.

Noooooo! Caliban? CALIBAN?! WTF? I'm all about getting obscure figures, but.....WTF? Plus, it's just Caliban. Technically he shouldn't be any bigger than the standard Hyperion buck & he sure as hell shouldn't be bigger than Beta Ray Bill (who looks to be on some version of the Odinson buck). He's neither an oversized character nor of a complicated design requiring a specific sculpt. He's single card worthy at best. Waste of a BAF. Even I woulda got on board for Nimrod. So no sign of Strong Guy, Beast, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver, no more Alpha Flight (does BRB count?) or an updated Hulk or Thor. All and all a pretty lackluster showing, I must say.

I'm hoping the absence of Strong Guy (or any New Mutants altogether) is just a symptom of the movie(s) getting pushed back....again. With 2 movies coming out next year I hope we get more than 1 X-Related wave. Also, I'm sure Hasbro's not done cashing in on the Deadpool gravy train, especially with the surprise, unannounced, possibly animated movie that's been eluded to recently. With the Kingpin and Caliban waves being the only actual confirmed waves so far, that leaves a lot of year to fill. Plus there's still 3 more conventions before the end of the year. I won't expect too much tho cuz they're pretty much all dropping at the same time and all the smaller ones seem to get 3 or 4 reveals at best. I assume they'll just use them to finish out those two waves. We shall see.

On the bright side, there are a few shining stars here. From best to worst:

1. Night Thrasher - far and away the best surprise. Another skill type vigilante. He's bound to be showing up on Contest of Champions soon.

2. Forge - one of my fave on/off X-characters since the Silvestri run. What's up with that dead expression head sculpt tho? Hopefully there's still time to add a little personality.

3. Jubes - yeah, I guess. I was cool with the first BAF. Guess it helps fill out the 90's roster, I suppose.

4. Beta Ray - kinda knew he was coming. Hopefully this means a new Thor is on the way. Love the Stormbreaker.

5. Corvus & the Maw - the Black Order are the best MCU figs to date. Completing the team will be awesome. Hopefully it'll be a 2 pack.

6. Another Kraven & Another Symbiote Spidey - meh! Easy pass. Already got both of the previous figs. Now, had they done a Symbiote suited Reaper buck to represent Kraven impersonating Spider-Man and included a battle damaged Peter head sculpt to be used on any number of the Spider-Men we already have, that's someting I woulda spent money on. Guess I'll just hafta hang on to it for now.

7. Hydra Cap & Arnim Zola - double meh! Gimmicky characters from a lame, gimmicky story line? No, thanks. Not even on clearance. Is it just me or does that Cap look washed out & waxy? Remeniscent of the crappy materials they were using on the last few waves of 4" MU figures that put the final nail in that coffin.

Outta left field comes the Shadow King head sculpt. It's awesome and yes it means I'll be getting a 2nd Kingpin wave just as I did the Onslaught wave. Kudos Hasbro, you stuck me for another $140+.

Like I said, a lotta year left to fill. Hope next year will be as good as this one. Minus the Gladiator retread and the Pygmi Sasquatch, of course.

I'm also "meh" about most of the reveals. Don't collect MCU so won't be buying the other Black order members as I find it amusing that Thanos would need help. I've always considered Thanos as a solo player who needs no one's assistance for any of his conquests of the universe. If that's BRB's look in the comics now, it's pretty pathetic. TB classic version is still superior. I never got Black Symbiote Spidey nor Kraven, so this 2 pack is great for me, especially since it's classic Kraven to boot!  Forge came out great but they didn't sculpt a bionic right hand for him or will that be included? Night  Thrasher is cool but I've never been a New Warriors fan so not needed. Huge pass on Hydra cap/evil Zola 2 pack. Never was a Jubes fan, so pass & though it's cool that they made Caliban in his 4 horseman look, I could never get into the character before or after his transformation, so another pass.  I'll give Hasbro props for continuing to make more obscure C rate characters though. I'm just waiting for classic comic versions of Thor, Ironman, Falcon, Quicksilver, War Machine, Yellowjacket, Wonderman & Swordsman to come out. As far as my most wanted X-Men related BAF fig is concerned, Nimrod is the one I'm still waiting for, very long over due marvel character from the X universe that has yet to be done in 6' scale nor 3.75 scale.  Some in scale classic wrecking crew figs can now be done using that BRB buck. Those oversized, outta scale giant ones they did using that outdated Warpath buck suck!

Kind of a so-so show for me so far but here are my thoughts anyway!

1. Jubilee, Forge & Caliban: Jubilee doesn’t excite me but the figure looks great. Forge is finally coming so I’m stoked for him but I agree with Monron that his face is off, like he looks like a deadpan Office Depot manager or something. However, I do love the guns he’s coming with as they look legit and most importantly...they aren’t yellow, purple or green. Caliban? Ummm ok...I guess? This does bring the wave to 6 figs and that BAF doesn’t look like he will need more than 6 figs to complete but I’m holding out hope there will be a 7th figure to be revealed. If not, who are they going to double up on twice? Gambit and Weapon X Wolvie? BAF aside, I’m actually very very fond of this X-Men wave and if they can sneak in a Beast or Nightcrawler or another obscure bad guy, then this wave will be nothing short of incredible imo.

2. Night Thrasher: how do I say this? NIGHT THRASHER!!! By far the best legends reveal of the show for me and this fig injects some much needed badassery into the Kingpin wave which as of now, for me, is shaping up to be one of the weakest Spidey waves to date (incredible BAF notwithstanding) There’s still time to turn the wave around as we should expect a 6th and 7th figure to round out the wave though. Scorpion? Puma? Carrion? Vulture? Tinkerer? Mr. Negative? Cmon Hasbro, let me see what you got!

3. Spidey & Kraven. Doesn’t excite me but there’s been a LOT worse 2packs to come out so I ain’t gonna hate on it.

4. Beta Ray Bill: Doesn’t excite me per say but I will NOT scoff at getting ANY figures tied to the Thor universe. 

5. Corvus & Maw: Stunning, absolutely stunning. Those figs represent some of hasbros best work to date imo. Based on this, looks like Avengers 4 Wave 1 so far has Hercules, Beta Ray, Corvus & Maw so kind of interesting wave so far and I’m definitely not complaining. Hell, even if these were the only 4 figs in the wave, it would be more exciting than the last Avengers wave we got imo.

6. Zola & Hydra Cap: Very strong 2-Pack and one of the best Hasbro has done imo (the bar is set pretty low when it comes to 2-packs they do) Didn’t read nor care to read the story (I barely read comics anymore) but the Cap figure looks cool and it’s awesome to see a new Zola. 

Also, I found it amusing that Captain Marvel is the first 2019 wave we will see and they completely ignored it lol. Still 1-2 comic based figures needed to round out that wave no? Out of the 5 figs that have been revealed for that wave, only 1-2 excite me but if they can add CLASSIC versions of Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel into the mix, it will really help turn that wave around for me.

What I wanted to see:

1. ANYTHING pertaining to getting additional Fantastic Four figures.

2. Inhumans? We got Black Bolt through a Black Panther Wave and Medusa through Walgreens and both of them were re-issues soooooo is Hasbro aware that there are more than TWO Inhumans characters in existence? Heck, give me a wave of half Inhumans and half F4 and I’ll buy 3 cases of it just to show support. I’m already buying 6 of every F4 fig from Walgreens for that very reason alone-just to show support.

3. More MCU 10th Anniversary Sets? Are we gonna see releases for the other 10 films, #11-20? Sure the MCU sets are overpriced and there were some misfires but overall, I think there was more hits then misses with the line.

4. Whys is NO ONE talking about Haslab for marvel legends??? X-Men Black Bird anyone? Punisher Van anybody? Accessory Pack box sets? Diorama/effects pieces? Money on the table guys...money on the table.

19 minutes ago, CobraSaboteur87 said:

Also, I found it amusing that Captain Marvel is the first 2019 wave we will see and they completely ignored it lol. Still 1-2 comic based figures needed to round out that wave no? Out of the 5 figs that have been revealed for that wave, only 1-2 excite me but if they can add CLASSIC versions of Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel into the mix, it will really help turn that wave around for me.

I honestly believe one of the Marvel based figs is going to be Kl'rt. We all figured he'd be another FF based Walgreens exclusive, but then word got out that the switch to X-Men based characters would begin after the release of the Thing. Well the reason I say the Super Skrull will make this wave is because if we have Talos the Skrull in the movie (as well as in ML form), then apparently, this means Skrulls and related characters aren't Fantastic Four properties and thus, not owned by Fox (I know alll about the merger, but the Captain Marvel film was already in early development stages when that all came down). Also, based on the "Who Do You Trust" storyline (which was a marvel wide event), the Skrulls belong to Marvel "Prime". Skrulls are a big part of the Captain Marvel movie and would make sense to include a Marvel based Skrull (like Kl'rt) into the wave.

Of course I could be totally wrong! LOL.

I also hope we can get an original Ms Marvel figure.

1 hour ago, Rukkdeez said:

I honestly believe one of the Marvel based figs is going to be Kl'rt. We all figured he'd be another FF based Walgreens exclusive, but then word got out that the switch to X-Men based characters would begin after the release of the Thing. Well the reason I say the Super Skrull will make this wave is because if we have Talos the Skrull in the movie (as well as in ML form), then apparently, this means Skrulls and related characters aren't Fantastic Four properties and thus, not owned by Fox (I know alll about the merger, but the Captain Marvel film was already in early development stages when that all came down). Also, based on the "Who Do You Trust" storyline (which was a marvel wide event), the Skrulls belong to Marvel "Prime". Skrulls are a big part of the Captain Marvel movie and would make sense to include a Marvel based Skrull (like Kl'rt) into the wave.

Of course I could be totally wrong! LOL.

I also hope we can get an original Ms Marvel figure.

Yeah anything can happen and I certainly wouldn’t rule that out. Having said that, I think a Super Skrull would’ve made a decent BAF choice, specifically from an accessory stand point, like they did with Absorbing/Sandman. Sure, Kreel & Sandy could’ve been single carded releases but the amount of accessories they came with is what made them decent-great BAF options.

A really well done comic Super Skrull could also work well in the deluxe box format, like they did with Archangel, as there’s a little more room in the box to fit stuff. Put out the Super Skrull in that format for $30-40 even and I think you would see some sales. It could probably done single carded but not with the level of execution we would want, more from an accessory/alt hands/arms standpoint.

In any case, I just think the Kree Sentry BAF could’ve easily been a single card release. It’s not that I don’t want a Kree Sentry, but I’m genuinely surprised at anyone that could be super excited for it, seeing the actual execution of it. It doesn’t even look like the figure is painted-it just looks like a bunch of purple and grey plastic with virtually no detail minus the actual paint that’s on the face. Also, what is with those single hinged elbows that clearly look they have like 10-20 degrees or range movement at best. Idk, just really looks like a phoned-in BAF with very little effort imo.

@moron it seems to me you are more pissed that it wasnt strong guy as the baf rather then them picking caliban. Caliban is a brilliant and unexpected pick though i do see where your coming from.

But i say not to worry as hasbro has yet not fulfil fans wants. Just look at this nycc reveal and you see that we have a number of highly listed wants like classic jubilee and night thrasher. Stong guy is coming they just need time to perfect it.

Caliban is the 2nd Horseman of Apocalypse to be released, he's kinda a big deal... In that area.

Forge looks bored to be at NYCC

Night Thrasher is a welcome surprise

Jubilee looks amazing, I'd love to see her in Gen X colors tho. I can understand the need for this look

Prof. X is almost as cool as the original Toybiz version, this one can leave his chair tho

Both 2 packs look bomb

Kinda "Meh" on both Silver Sable and Black Cat. I'd love to finally get a Dodson version

Jubilee was a nice unexpected surprise. Forge looks great. Beta Ray Bill looks nice. The rest I am not excited about.

I probably will only be going for the Kingpin BAF in the next Spiderman wave and skip everyone else. X-Men wave will be another grab. Avengers, probably getting Hercules, Nighthawk, and Beta Ray Bill. Prof. X Rider as well. Everything else will be a pass.

On 10/6/2018 at 2:29 PM, tarot said:

@moron it seems to me you are more pissed that it wasnt strong guy as the baf rather then them picking caliban. Caliban is a brilliant and unexpected pick though i do see where your coming from.

But i say not to worry as hasbro has yet not fulfil fans wants. Just look at this nycc reveal and you see that we have a number of highly listed wants like classic jubilee and night thrasher. Stong guy is coming they just need time to perfect it.

Not so much. At least not as much as you seem to wanna make it out to be. I barely even mentioned Strong Guy in my rant. At this point I'm used to not seeing him in the reveals. So much so that I actually think Hasbro does it just to get at me for being so critical about some of the weird crap they do. But that's crazy cuz I'm just one guy on a chat board so I'm convinced, like you, that they're holding off and perfecting it because his overall design is so top-heavy and awkward. I would be even more surprised if he had been revealed. Elated yes, but nonetheless surprised.

I think I was pretty sure I was clear that I thought Caliban was just not BAF worthy. You think it's brilliant, maybe so. Maybe only in the way to get a really obscure character into the fold that probably wouldn't even make it as a single card figure. Sure I would buy it, as I'm sure you and most of us here would, but as a general release he has neither the recognition or the cool design and look to appeal to the general public.

My biggest problem is he's just lame. He's never been all that formidable or powerful as a villain, he's never been portrayed as larger than Sabretooth or Beast. He's just never been significant. He does what? He can track mutants within 25 miles. Okay, so what happens when he tracks them down? Oh, he absorbs their fear so he can lift 10 tons. Wow! Then he can instill panic into them. I assume  panic is insinuated once they know they're being tracked. It just seems the writers don't even know what to do with him, much less make him relevant. Basically, he can just dissappear as a character altogether and very few of us would even remember him. That's all.

Also, I agree the Skrulls are somewhat of an anomaly in both the MCU and Fox univeres. As finicky as both companies have been with their properties I'm surprised that they've been so loosely unclaimed so far. Much like Ruk I wouldn't be all that surprised if Super Skrull made it into the Captain Marvel wave. If the Kree are gonna be a force in the MCU, it stands to reason their arch nemesis' would also be. It would make sense in that 7th or 8th character in a wave way that had no BAF piece but came with extra accessories instead. Also keep in mind that the rumors are strong that the main villain played by Jessica Chastain in the Dark Phoenix is going to be a Skrull. This may be the beginning of the thread that starts to tie the Marvel properties and former Fox properties together. Then again, another rumor is she could be a female version of Mastermind. I like to theorize that maybe she'll be the host body for Shadow King which would make the swap head included with the Professor X figure even more significant.

16 hours ago, monron999 said:

Not so much. At least not as much as you seem to wanna make it out to be. I barely even mentioned Strong Guy in my rant. At this point I'm used to not seeing him in the reveals. So much so that I actually think Hasbro does it just to get at me for being so critical about some of the weird crap they do. But that's crazy cuz I'm just one guy on a chat board so I'm convinced, like you, that they're holding off and perfecting it because his overall design is so top-heavy and awkward. I would be even more surprised if he had been revealed. Elated yes, but nonetheless surprised.

I think I was pretty sure I was clear that I thought Caliban was just not BAF worthy. You think it's brilliant, maybe so. Maybe only in the way to get a really obscure character into the fold that probably wouldn't even make it as a single card figure. Sure I would buy it, as I'm sure you and most of us here would, but as a general release he has neither the recognition or the cool design and look to appeal to the general public.

My biggest problem is he's just lame. He's never been all that formidable or powerful as a villain, he's never been portrayed as larger than Sabretooth or Beast. He's just never been significant. He does what? He can track mutants within 25 miles. Okay, so what happens when he tracks them down? Oh, he absorbs their fear so he can lift 10 tons. Wow! Then he can instill panic into them. I assume  panic is insinuated once they know they're being tracked. It just seems the writers don't even know what to do with him, much less make him relevant. Basically, he can just dissappear as a character altogether and very few of us would even remember him. That's all.

Apocalypse transformed Caliban into his 4th Horseman & increased his  size & strength FYI. I still have never cared for the character from his very 1st app as one of the Morlocks back in the 80s. Just always seemed to be a very dumb& boring character to me.  In this day of $20+ figures, I now cherry pick waves & the only way I will buy an entire wave is if every fig is a must have & the BAF as well. Last wave that fit that criteria for me was the Juggernaut BAF. If I just want the BAF in a wave, I'll just buy that alone. I bought Sasquatch for $45. I'll be buying the Kingpin fig on it's own as well as I don't care for every fig in the wave he'll be in. Sauron, super giant Venom monster, over sized Lizard with raptor head, Warlock, Caliban, Spy//der or whatever the heck you wanna that crap, I have zero interest in those. Nimrod & Strong Guy would be BAFs I would want, if done right & in their classic looks.  

5 minutes ago, Gmen4ever said:

Apocalypse transformed Caliban into his 4th Horseman & increased his  size & strength FYI. I still have never cared for the character from his very 1st app as one of the Morlocks back in the 80s. Just always seemed to be a very dumb& boring character to me.  In this day of $20+ figures, I now cherry pick waves & the only way I will buy an entire wave is if every fig is a must have & the BAF as well. Last wave that fit that criteria for me was the Juggernaut BAF. If I just want the BAF in a wave, I'll just buy that alone. I bought Sasquatch for $45. I'll be buying the Kingpin fig on it's own as well as I don't care for every fig in the wave he'll be in. Sauron, super giant Venom monster, over sized Lizard with raptor head, Warlock, Caliban, Spy//der or whatever the heck you wanna that crap, I have zero interest in those. Nimrod & Strong Guy would be BAFs I would want, if done right & in their classic looks.  

You updated my brotha so I'll do the same; Once upon a time the Lizard was only 5'11. He's mutated to around 6'8 so in actuality, he's not "oversized". Granted, at that size his appearance is different, but he IS 6'8 (I noticed you didn't mention that Juggernaut was oversized. And he was. No rationalization, excuse or fallback can alter the fact that in that costume, Cain is too large). Don't get me wrong. I'm not attacking your choices or preferences. Not everyone is a neurotic completionist like myself.

1 hour ago, Gmen4ever said:

Uhhhm, I'm well aware of the history of Caliban. I've been collecting & reading comics since long before he joined X-Factor in its original form and have both comics where Angel & Caliban were "boosted" by Apocalypse. The power set I spoke of in my previous post IS his current power set and the power set that's associated with the look of the BAF. Before that he was even less powerful and could only "sense" other mutants in a much shorter distance. Similar to how he's portrayed in the Logan movie. Yes, he's gone back and forth to the horsemen where his powers were stronger but that's not the version they're doing, FYI. I know this all from memory but feel free to contact the marvel comics database.

See that's the excuse card they fall back on. Everyone's "mutated" to a bigger size. Hate that crap. Juggernaut was already a huge 6'10 character, he is not even a mutant so they really can't even use that "mutation" excuse for him. That was just artistic license that has been allowed to go unchecked for the past 20yrs that has got half these characters hgts outta whack.  Cuz being 6'10 is too "small" I guess. Thanos was 6'7, that's big in my book but no, now he's gotta be an 8 footer. Did he "mutate' as well? Thing's a mutant too huh? Went form being a 6 footer to an 8 footer as well. I guess comic editors have gotten way lax since the days of Jim Shooter. That's why my fav 2 artists of all time are George Perez & John Byrne, they always strove to draw characters at their exact listed comic hgts. They didn't see the need to use artistic license & all of a sudden draw certain characters larger than they were. The main reason I never bothered getting the Wrecking crew was for this reason alone. They got put on the wrong sized bucks when the Sentry buck was there for them to utilize for them. Especially for T-Ball, Piledriver & Bulldozer. The Wrecker is the only one that woulda needed a new upper torso sculpt due to the type of jacket he wore. The tallest member of the crew is T-ball at 6'6, not one member is close to being a 7 footer. The sad thing is, I doubt Hasbro will ever re-do them again in their proper scale.

21 minutes ago, Gmen4ever said:

See that's the excuse card they fall back on. Everyone's "mutated" to a bigger size. Hate that crap. Juggernaut was already a huge 6'10 character, he is not even a mutant so they really can't even use that "mutation" excuse for him. That was just artistic license that has been allowed to go unchecked for the past 20yrs that has got half these characters hgts outta whack.  Cuz being 6'10 is too "small" I guess. Thanos was 6'7, that's big in my book but no, now he's gotta be an 8 footer. Did he "mutate' as well? Thing's a mutant too huh? Went form being a 6 footer to an 8 footer as well. I guess comic editors have gotten way lax since the days of Jim Shooter. That's why my fav 2 artists of all time are George Perez & John Byrne, they always strove to draw characters at their exact listed comic hgts. They didn't see the need to use artistic license & all of a sudden draw certain characters larger than they were. The main reason I never bothered getting the Wrecking crew was for this reason alone. They got put on the wrong sized bucks when the Sentry buck was there for them to utilize for them. Especially for T-Ball, Piledriver & Bulldozer. The Wrecker is the only one that woulda needed a new upper torso sculpt due to the type of jacket he wore. The tallest member of the crew is T-ball at 6'6, not one member is close to being a 7 footer. The sad thing is, I doubt Hasbro will ever re-do them again in their proper scale.

Even if the artists use "artistic license" to draw monster sized versions of characters, the true fault lies with the BiB posse for automatically dubbing the larger size as "canon" even when the character is next drawn back to their original (and actual) sizes. One of the reasons for this I suspect is "cheapness". These guys simply want more "buck" for their buck. This is possibly the main reason the Thing is so beloved. Not his sculpt, but his size plus those accessories. All for $20. We don't even think in terms of the figs that come with no accessories makes the ones that do "even out". We just complain...then buy anyway.

They're the same crowd that complains there is not enough food on their plate for the $ they spent on it  & that's why so many portions are huge at restaurants, but then whine that they're overweight. When I finally do get that Thing Figure I'm gonna see about doing some custom surgery on it to bring him down in size by an inch.  

I don't think size is so much an issue anymore with BAFs. I think the costs are more dependent on the necessity for new sculpts or the complication of the sculpt. I was once under the opinion that a BAF should be bigger but now I believe it's often a product of the size of a character being to larget for a single card as in Juggernaur or the necessity for a specialized sculpt as in Urich Hobgoblin or M'Baku. In either case the BAF is usually a product of particulars that would just cost more to do it as a standard figure in the wave. I don't usually squabble about the size of the figure as long as it's done well, but most importantly, done in scale with the other figures in the line. That's where my problem with Caliban is. He's just not that big. If the intent was to make the BAF in this wave a larger figure there were much better options to do a figure that would justify that larger size. I wouldn't have even cared if Caliban had been a smaller BAF, as long as he was done in correct scale. It just seems somewhat forced. That was my entire issue with Sasquatch. A lot of guys gave me guff and I think the overall perception was that I didnt think they gave us enough plastic for the money. That wasnt the case at all. I didn't care how much plastic we got, I just wanted it to be right. In a similar fashion Caliban is gonna be too large. They gave us too much plastic this time.

I fully agree that Sasquatch needed to be the full 10' scale to depict his hgt of 10 ft in the comics. For some reason Hasbro tops out at 8-9' scale as Groot is in the 9' scale. I'd have been alright if they had at least made Sasquatch 9' tall. Hasbro cheaped out on making a properly scaled Kree Sentry & tried to condense a cheap 8' version out of it that just looks all kinds of  wonky with very little articulation in key areas such as the arms & legs.  A Kree sentry is Sentinel hgt  in the comics, around a 20 footer. They woulda been better off doing a comic based 8' tall Ronan the accuser as the BAF instead.  Hasbro wastes $$ making 12' or bigger figs of normal sized characters like Spidey, Thor, Hulk, Cap, DP that stagnate on the shelfs due to their price & the fact that no kid under 15 has the $$ to fork over for those large scale figs. They could instead have made a line of actual MU characters that are giant sized such as Sentinels, Kree Sentries, (army builders) both good Goliath/Giantman Hank Pym & Master of evil member Goliath/Erik Josten , Titan of the Imperial guard, & Orka.  I'd gladly fork over $60 for 12' fully articulated versions of those characters over a giant sized version of Spiderman & DP. Who you gonna make em fight besides each other?  Hasbro can deny it all they want, but the ML line is more collector driven than it is kid driven. No mom is gonna be forking over $20 a pop or $130 for a case of ML figs for little Jr.