Jump to content

2018 NYCC - Hasbro Marvel Legends Roundtable and Reveals


Bespin refugee
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wow that Corvus Glaive looks so realistic Hasbro has outdone themselves. Hopefully the actual retail figure looks like that. I love. The Sticker idea for Deadpool! You can make it your own little custom scooter! 

That New Arbil Zola is interesting. I still prefer the original. But it looks like they have him the Collossus arms this time. The Supreme Leader figure is okay. If I actually get it I might like it, but they’re totally gonna repaint that figure into a Civil Warrior figure! Which would be awesome!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, EvilHayato said:

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention, looks like the same sculptor that did that ulgy as hell Logan head that keeps being reused for some reason, did the new Kraven head. It looks awful. Its got the signature eyes too far apart and gross squinty look that just all around looks off. Whoever that sculptor is should be fired or at least demoted. 

I guess it's from Gentle Giant. They usually do all the sculpting for Hasbro and other companies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, FASVB said:

I guess it's from Gentle Giant. They usually do all the sculpting for Hasbro and other companies. 

I've been noticing the reduction of quality of some of the head sculpts as well. I know I'm not the only one that was somewhat dissapointed by the Psylocke sculpt. While not a bad sculpt, it wasn't quite as good as the likes of Rogue or Mary Jane. I'm assuming with the amount of product Hasbro is putting out (remember, Power Rangers is also on its way) Gentle Giant has had to take on some new talent. At the end of the day Marvel gets the final approval. That being said, I agree the Kraven sculpt is terrible and I'll also throw in Forge as well. One is ridiculously too expressive an the other is impossibly non expressive. Both those sculpts should be nixed by Marvel and taken back to formula.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FASVB said:

I guess it's from Gentle Giant. They usually do all the sculpting for Hasbro and other companies. 

Its not so much because its Gentle Giant, I actually love Gentle Giants work. Being an artist myself, you can notice similar works from the same artist. Not all the figures are in the same exact style of eachother. This specific head sculpt is so bad that you can see its similarities to a similar bad headsculpt.. this being Kraven to unmasked Logan. 

4 hours ago, monron999 said:

I've been noticing the reduction of quality of some of the head sculpts as well. I know I'm not the only one that was somewhat dissapointed by the Psylocke sculpt. While not a bad sculpt, it wasn't quite as good as the likes of Rogue or Mary Jane. I'm assuming with the amount of product Hasbro is putting out (remember, Power Rangers is also on its way) Gentle Giant has had to take on some new talent. At the end of the day Marvel gets the final approval. That being said, I agree the Kraven sculpt is terrible and I'll also throw in Forge as well. One is ridiculously too expressive an the other is impossibly non expressive. Both those sculpts should be nixed by Marvel and taken back to formula.

I wouldnt say that Psylockes head sculpt is bad in any way. I think most people were not happy with her overall body type choice. Sure her head doesnt match Jim Lees art its based on but honestly none of the figures theyve made do. They put a certain hasbro/gentle giant twist on the designs overall. Its why almost all of them are great but not perfect. Forge isnt terrible, just boring and somehow not as interesting looking as the crappier one they did years prior. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, EvilHayato said:

Its not so much because its Gentle Giant, I actually love Gentle Giants work. Being an artist myself, you can notice similar works from the same artist. Not all the figures are in the same exact style of eachother. This specific head sculpt is so bad that you can see its similarities to a similar bad headsculpt.. this being Kraven to unmasked Logan. 

I wouldnt say that Psylockes head sculpt is bad in any way. I think most people were not happy with her overall body type choice. Sure her head doesnt match Jim Lees art its based on but honestly none of the figures theyve made do. They put a certain hasbro/gentle giant twist on the designs overall. Its why almost all of them are great but not perfect. Forge isnt terrible, just boring and somehow not as interesting looking as the crappier one they did years prior. 

I see. Could be an specific guy, but would like to point that this goes through soe sort of approval by the ML team.  So they could be blamed as well. 

To me these are isolated cases. Specially the female figures have got much improved heads in the past year. One exceptional example is Typhoid Mary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, monron999 said:

I've been noticing the reduction of quality of some of the head sculpts as well. I know I'm not the only one that was somewhat dissapointed by the Psylocke sculpt. While not a bad sculpt, it wasn't quite as good as the likes of Rogue or Mary Jane. I'm assuming with the amount of product Hasbro is putting out (remember, Power Rangers is also on its way) Gentle Giant has had to take on some new talent. At the end of the day Marvel gets the final approval. That being said, I agree the Kraven sculpt is terrible and I'll also throw in Forge as well. One is ridiculously too expressive an the other is impossibly non expressive. Both those sculpts should be nixed by Marvel and taken back to formula.

I agree with  EvilHayato and I will add that I liked the Psylocke head very much. What is actually happening with some female figures is the so called "lollipop syndrome".  The heads look great but they sit way too high on the peg and a huge gap appears. You can see all the insides of the head an that breaks completely the aesthetics of the figure. There are like 3 or 4 current releases with this exact problem.  Maybe the problem is the neck peg is too long. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, FASVB said:

I see. Could be an specific guy, but would like to point that this goes through soe sort of approval by the ML team.  So they could be blamed as well. 

To me these are isolated cases. Specially the female figures have got much improved heads in the past year. One exceptional example is Typhoid Mary. 

There are times where I think the approval process at Marvel is sometimes like look the other way kind of thing. Or is in a just hurry it up to stores we dont care kind of thing. Dont get me wrong tho, id say about 90% of the stuff thats approved is pretty great. I think thats why that stuff sticks out so much. Now some designs theyve dont arent always great, they are usually acceptable. That Wolverine head is something that they just keep using and it should be taken out of production but due to costs Im sure they are just like eh run with it. 

Ironically I m pretty sure Typhoid Marys head is actually Psylockes face reused. I saw a few places that stated it. Its all about the makeup that covers it all up. I cant confirm it but I wouldnt put it past them. But it is nice to have great looking female faces for a change. Toybiz couldnt model a good female face ever and Hasbro took like 10 years to even get anywhere remotely acceptable. They are only getting better so far tho. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These reveals did not disappoint.

 

Sure, I was hoping to see the New Mutants announced as the new Walgreens exclusives, but what we got instead was stellar!

 

Highlights:

Shadow King headswap

Battle Damaged Spidey

Prof. X's chair

Jubilee!!!

 

So stoked!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE