So is Galactus inevitable?

KiloinNorcal

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither is worth 100+ clams. Hasbro needs to stop being cheap with these re-issues & create an all new  articulated buck in the 12-14 inch scale for giant sized characters. Waste of $ making giant sized versions of normal sized characters.  Put new, never before done giant sized characters as exclusives if you have to but at least they will be worth spending $$ on over another giant sized Spiderman or DP who stagnate on the shelves at Target then get clearance a  few months later cuz no one wants to shell out 60 clams for em.

Hank Pym has had 3 different costumes as Giant man/Goliath, make em all in 12' scale! Make Erik Josten in both his Masters of evil "Goliath" costume & in his alter ego good guy look as Atlas. Give us Titan of the Imperial guard. Classic Sentinels & Kree sentries. A deluxe 14' Galactus.

Give us Sub Mariner's enemy, Orca on a thick buck. The cosmic elder, the Stranger. So many visually cool giant sized characters to make but they keep making the same normal sized characters in giant form over & over. Oh well, guess they don't want my $$. Is there anybody here that wouldn't buy those characters if they made em?

I'm not particularly fond of this Sentinel release so I haven't really been tracking how well it's being recieved, but from what I hear, the MU version was much better pertaining to paint apps and the light up feature. I do agree the 12" ML line is a waste of time and resources, plus none of them were in scale and some of the head sculpts were way too massive. They didn't even have proper updated 6" versions of Cap, Thor & Hulk yet, but expected us to pay $50+ for a few figures that don't fit anywhere in a display. They looked good, don't get me wrong, but they were just unnecessary and excessive. Every time I saw them they were quick to go on clearance and even then I had no desire to get them, cuz they would only take up space in an odd way.

If they do start to release larger figure's in this fashion I do think there is a need. We all know we're never gonna get BAFs as big as the Sentinel & Giant Man & Apocalypse again, but there is some demand for figures like Goliath, Atlas, Stature, etc...but I'm actually pretty happy with the TB versions of Galactus and Giant Man. They still hold up with the current ML, but that being said, I don't think Hasbro is content not trying to outdo the originals. So I do expect to see these larger figures in some form or fashion. If they do do it in a similar way they did with the DOFP set, they should direct it at serious collectors by releasing them as preorder only online exclusives or through HTS. That way they aren't over produced and end up lying in a clearance bin. Also, to be more attractive to serious collectors they need to include a 6" figure that hasn't been done yet. Of course, figures like Atlas and Stature would come with the 6" version of themselves, but Galactus could come with Nova (Frankie Ray) or Blue Marvel. I'm pretty conviced part of the reason the DOFP set was so ill recieved is because of yet another version of Wolverine. The way you do the 6" figure could make or break this project, IMO.

4 hours ago, monron999 said:

I'm not particularly fond of this Sentinel release so I haven't really been tracking how well it's being recieved, but from what I hear, the MU version was much better pertaining to paint apps and the light up feature. I do agree the 12" ML line is a waste of time and resources, plus none of them were in scale and some of the head sculpts were way too massive. They didn't even have proper updated 6" versions of Cap, Thor & Hulk yet, but expected us to pay $50+ for a few figures that don't fit anywhere in a display. They looked good, don't get me wrong, but they were just unnecessary and excessive. Every time I saw them they were quick to go on clearance and even then I had no desire to get them, cuz they would only take up space in an odd way.

If they do start to release larger figure's in this fashion I do think there is a need. We all know we're never gonna get BAFs as big as the Sentinel & Giant Man & Apocalypse again, but there is some demand for figures like Goliath, Atlas, Stature, etc...but I'm actually pretty happy with the TB versions of Galactus and Giant Man. They still hold up with the current ML, but that being said, I don't think Hasbro is content not trying to outdo the originals. So I do expect to see these larger figures in some form or fashion. If they do do it in a similar way they did with the DOFP set, they should direct it at serious collectors by releasing them as preorder only online exclusives or through HTS. That way they aren't over produced and end up lying in a clearance bin. Also, to be more attractive to serious collectors they need to include a 6" figure that hasn't been done yet. Of course, figures like Atlas and Stature would come with the 6" version of themselves, but Galactus could come with Nova (Frankie Ray) or Blue Marvel. I'm pretty conviced part of the reason the DOFP set was so ill recieved is because of yet another version of Wolverine. The way you do the 6" figure could make or break this project, IMO.

If I'm guessing the 6 inch pack in, since they already released Surfer, I'd say they go with Doom.

On 10/13/2018 at 1:49 PM, Gmen4ever said:

Neither is worth 100+ clams. Hasbro needs to stop being cheap with these re-issues & create an all new  articulated buck in the 12-14 inch scale for giant sized characters. Waste of $ making giant sized versions of normal sized characters.  Put new, never before done giant sized characters as exclusives if you have to but at least they will be worth spending $$ on over another giant sized Spiderman or DP who stagnate on the shelves at Target then get clearance a  few months later cuz no one wants to shell out 60 clams for em.

Hank Pym has had 3 different costumes as Giant man/Goliath, make em all in 12' scale! Make Erik Josten in both his Masters of evil "Goliath" costume & in his alter ego good guy look as Atlas. Give us Titan of the Imperial guard. Classic Sentinels & Kree sentries. A deluxe 14' Galactus.

Give us Sub Mariner's enemy, Orca on a thick buck. The cosmic elder, the Stranger. So many visually cool giant sized characters to make but they keep making the same normal sized characters in giant form over & over. Oh well, guess they don't want my $$. Is there anybody here that wouldn't buy those characters if they made em?

Yes yes yes!!!!!!! I second this! I would love to have a giant sized set of Hank in all his costumes! And I would love to have all the Celestials!!! HASBRO if you’re seeing this get on it! Make me a 14 inch Eson the Searcher stat!!!!!!!!!!! 

I think if anyone is seriously expecting oversized figures of characters like Erik Josten, Orca or Titan, then you're gonna be seriously disappointed. Hasbro isn't spending that kind of a scratch on limited appeal characters like that, unfortunately. 

The Gigantic Battles box sets from some years back were likely meant to test the waters for figures like that.

1 hour ago, watanabefan said:

I think if anyone is seriously expecting oversized figures of characters like Erik Josten, Orca or Titan, then you're gonna be seriously disappointed. Hasbro isn't spending that kind of a scratch on limited appeal characters like that, unfortunately. 

The Gigantic Battles box sets from some years back were likely meant to test the waters for figures like that.

Ya, I'm in agreement with you about the Gigantic Battles. That was even my thinking back then. It was looking like a way to put out those bigger figs that could legitimately function in both 3.75 & 6" scales. It was a good idea then, but they it was terrible execution. The arms and legs were laughably thin compared to the smaller figures they were supposed to correspond to and the articulation was rather limited and stiff for that size of figure. If you'll remember those larger figures were only repaints and reuses of the 12" ML line of that time. They were making good use of the larger molds to span 3 different scales back then, they should be able to do it again, but much better. If they could apply that same plan using the quality of the 12" molds they have today I think it would be a winner. Now, I wouldn't pay $100 for a 12" and a 6" figure, but I would pay the standard price of $49.99 they were asking for the 12" figures which also included quite a few accessories. I just don't really see the downside. What makes more sense? Buying a 12" Captain America which only has limited appeal and contemporaries to pose or display him with or using the same resources to do an all those extra large characters that are in strong demand and will fit in just fine with the current line of ML which both Hasbro and the fans have put so much time and money into. I will buy a 12" Galactus, Giant Man, Yellowjacket, Atlas, etc... at $50. Hell, if they would just release the same old Sentinel at $50 I would buy a half dozen of them tomorrow. We've shown that we will support the line as long as they continue to give us most of what we want. Let's let them know this is a good idea.

5 hours ago, watanabefan said:

That's why you release them exclusively  online via EE or HTS  to actual hardcore Marvel collectors & not the general public that doesn't know crap about these characters. Hasbro can include extra hands, alternate heads to a Erik Josten Goliath/Giantman/Orka/Sentinel/Kree Sentry/Titan/Stranger/Celestials, etc. I'll gladly pay 60$ for that.  The Gigantic box sets figs were lanky looking & the POA was decent but not great. The newer 12' scale bucks they did were superior to the Gigantic battles figs. Hasbro can knock these out of the park.  Make a 12'-14' Galactus with open/closed hands, power effects & a 6' scaled version of his heralds Nova or Air Walker, that would be worth $80-$100 imo.  I don't see the high demand for 12' versions of 6' characters such as Cap/IM/Spidey/DP. That to me is a colossal waste of time, effort & $$ on their part.

17 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

That's why you release them exclusively  online via EE or HTS  to actual hardcore Marvel collectors & not the general public that doesn't know crap about these characters. .

Even among the hardcore collectors you're still vastly overestimating the appeal of most of these characters. If Hasbro can't even sell 12-inch versions of A-list properties then this is never gonna happen.

Reason they ain't selling 12' versions of their A-listers is cuz none of them is a giant in the comics. And us hardcore marvel comics collectors know this! Why the freak am I gonna spend 50 clams on a giant Spiderman figure? Now I see a 12' scaled Giantman/Goliath/Titan, etc, I'm getting that sucker cuz I know he is a giant In the comics.  You're the one vastly underestimating the comic IQ of the hardcore fanbase.

11 minutes ago, Gmen4ever said:

Reason they ain't selling 12' versions of their A-listers is cuz none of them is a giant in the comics. And us hardcore marvel comics collectors know this! Why the freak am I gonna spend 50 clams on a giant Spiderman figure? Now I see a 12' scaled Giantman/Goliath/Titan, etc, I'm getting that sucker cuz I know he is a giant In the comics.  You're the one vastly underestimating the comic IQ of the hardcore fanbase.

No the reason they didn't sell is that there was no market for them. Just like there wouldn't be any market for those characters you have mentioned. you may think they would sell but the won't sell enough to continue a line of them.

Also stop thinking that these line can live long with just hardcore or casual fan. They can't we are a very small part of the toy market. We can't keep a line running. Hasbro has to sell to a much wider market rather then just us. Stop thinking you know how to run a business when you seem to think your way is the right way.

Gonna raise the BS flag on that. How would they ever know that a Erik Josten Goliath figure will never sell if they don't ever release it! They can do a  deluxe anniversary boxset featuring 4 Avengers & 4 MOE members hyping up the classic "Siege of Avengers mansion" story arc with a Bearded Thor, Photon, Wasp in costume she wore & Hercules, add Grey Gargoyle, Blackout, Fixer & Mr Hyde!  Then on the back of the box, they can have a pic of Erik Josten/Goliath hyping it up that he is the 1st figure to get in a new "Giants of Marvel" 12' scale line coming out & that he's another member of the MOE to go with the figs in the boxset. You gonna tell me this won't sell? That people only want giant sized figs of the A-listers only?  BS on that. 

The line can be a 1-2yr thing. There are only so many giant sized characters in the MU that would rate being made. Big G, Sentinels, (army builder) Kree Sentries (army builder), Pym's Goliath/Giantman, Erik Josten Goliath/Atlas, Orka , Titan & the Stranger. So they can't do a line with 8 giant sized Marvel characters? They can spread it out over 2 yrs by releasing 4 a yr. All those characters have tie in with the FF, Avengers & X-Men. The fan base of those 3 franchises has been hoping & begging for these giant sized characters to be made by Hasbro since they took over the ML line. Right now the TB Sentinel is the best as their MU "Gigantic battles" Sentinel is lacking in POA & too bulky looking. I know that Hasbro can knock out an awesome John Byrne classic Sentinel with a brand new buck. Sentinels/Sentries are guaranteed army builders for the vast majority of their fans. I'm not loaded but I would still get at minimum, 3 of each, those with more disposable cash funds would get 2x that much if not more. I've seen youtube vids of some fans with 12 or more TB Sentinels in their collection.

I gotta agree with Gmen on this one guys. At the chance of causing another Comic vs MCU debate I'm gonna just go by what I see. I don't have any BS numbers or statistics but I do have this community and a large local community who share information, so here goes.

There are 2 very big things that I see that would indictate to me the true extra large figures would be a success. First, and this will be debatable, it still seems that after so many years, the hardcore collectors are still the major supporters of the line. Of course the movie figures appeal to the hardcore collectors as well but they are clearly aimed at the children and casual fans picked up by the movie franchises, but by in large it was the collector community that supported ML back in the TB days where there was very small movie presence and it still remains the same today. Secondly, I think it is indisputable that "New" sells. A 12" version of characters we already had is just that. It's really not all that new. A 12" Yellowjacket made for the 6" line IS new. I think the simple fact that it is a character we don't have is the selling point. You go into Walmart, Target or whatever your favorite haunt is and you see a 12" Thor....? Eh, it's kinda nifty. I don't have one. It looks good. The articulation kicks ass, buuuut....naaah. I have a Thor and he fits in with my dozen's of other ML in 6" scale, and really, how many 12" standard figures are they gonna make? Am I gonna waste my time and money and pick up a whole new sub line of ML at $50 a piece? No, I'll just save my money for the next ML wave. Now, you walk by and see a Stature at 12" and it looks awesome, has great articulation and it's a character that hasn't been done yet and it looks great with your dozens and dozens of ML in 6" scale you've been collecting for many years? That's something I gotta have. Trying to compare the appeal of a 12" standard line to the appeal of extra large figures geared to fit with the 6" line is just not accurate.

For some reason, there are some here who really think that a foot tall Thor figure is what the majority of ML buyers want?  You & I know better. The same crowd that supported & bought MLs when TB made em in the days of no movies/toons to support em are still the same fanbase buying them now. There are 8-10 large sized characters in the MU that can be made into 12'-14' scale line. The fanbase both comic & MCU crowd will buy em because they are NEW/NEVER BEFORE MADE characters that are essential to the 6' lines as members of certain teams, enemies of certain characters/teams. Kree SENTRY, the FF crowd is buying this guy up in multiples. Not that crap BAF they phoned in. Sentinels. everyone is getting them, especially the X-crowd. Big G, FF fanbase is getting him. MOE Goliath, Avengers fanbase is snatching him up! Stature, same thing. Pym as Goliath/Giantman/YJ, all 3  versions will be snatched up by Avengers fans as well as a 6' YJ fig. 

Make a Wolvy in his Fang costume & include an actual "Fang" alternate head, now that's a 2nd core member of the IG & a 12' scaled Titan can make it 3 members to go along with Gladiator/Fang.  Look at how bad people are trying to buy that cheesy "DOFP" boxset cuz many missed out on getting the other 2 versions or they just wanna add this 3rd version to their collection.

Marvel fans/collectors will buy a "Giants of Marvel" line, just don't make em Giant versions of A-listers that are not Giants in the comics & then pull the " there's no demand for a 12' scale ML line cuz no one bought foot tall versions of Spidey, Cap, Wolvy , IM & DP" card.  

I dunno that anyone here is arguing that anyone particularly believes larger versions of the 6" figures are what we want but it seems a lot of people are drawing the conclusion that the lackluster sales of the 12inch "normal" sized figures proves that giant sized figures based in the 6inch scale will not sell. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Larger figures of the mainstream characters such as Cap, IM, Spidey and Deadpool are just another line of figure in 12" scale. Giant figures such as Giant Man, Goliath, Yellowjacket and Galactus are representations of much larger figures still based in the standard, more successful, more established 6" line. A 12" Thor based on a 12" scale is not the same as a 12" Goliath based on a 6" scale. Paying a heftier price for a select few "Giant Sized" figures is certainly easier to swallow than starting and buying a whole new collection of the same characters in a larger scale.

On 10/15/2018 at 5:20 PM, Gmen4ever said:

Got links to show the sales #s? 

Just the house I built out of leftover Gladiator figures I keep finding at Target.

But more seriously, the answer here would be that the line-up of characters you're proposing haven't been made. If Hasbro thought there would actually be money in selling oversized versions of relatively low tier characters like Erik Josten or Titan, they'd have been made. At this point, the best characters like that are likely gonna get is an appearance in an SDCC box set like with the recent Giant-Man.

5 hours ago, watanabefan said:

Just the house I built out of leftover Gladiator figures I keep finding at Target.

But more seriously, the answer here would be that the line-up of characters you're proposing haven't been made. If Hasbro thought there would actually be money in selling oversized versions of relatively low tier characters like Erik Josten or Titan, they'd have been made. At this point, the best characters like that are likely gonna get is an appearance in an SDCC box set like with the recent Giant-Man.

Ya, I agree not all figures we want can be made. We can't even get all the BAFs we want, especially when they keep jamming crap like Kree Sentry and Space Venom (good figure, no longer relevant) in the mix, but I been on this forum a long time and even though characters like Giant Man and Goliath are a gimme as far as what would most likely be made, characters like Atlas and Stature have been pretty high on the wish list for a long time now. So much so that if Hasbro had actually taken a poll on which version of Cassie (Stature or Stinger) fans preferred, I woulda gambled that Stature woulda won outright. While the opinions of a lot of people on this forum are just that, nothing official, but this forum seems to run pretty parallel with the opinion of the ML collecting community in general.

Box sets are okay, but for some reason a box set somehow justifies a $50 large figure and a $20 6inch figure to be priced at $100. For what, a pretty box? Like I said, price the giant figures the same as the 12inch figures ($50) and stack them next to the general ML (similar to the Riders sets) and watch them fly off the shelves. Especially if they were to take the strategy of releasing a normal size Yellowjacket in a standard wave and then a giant size version of him (or her, I guess) at the same time or shortly thereafter. There would be so many of us that "gotta have it" that it'd be a sure seller.

As far as exactly what fans want, whatever happened to those official fan polls anyway? Hasbro used to do them all the time, though I'm pretty sure it was mostly used as a stall tactic, giving the perception that they were working really hard, but wanted to make sure they had their fingers on the pulse of the fan base. Anybody seen those Lady Bullseye, Moonstar or Bag Man figures that polled pretty high waaaaay back in the day?  If they would just bring those polls back a train wreck like the aforementioned Kree Sentry can be avoided in the future.

IMO, the Kree Sentry BAF is a phoned in POS. Looks like a large happy meals toy. The POA is gonna be extremely limited due to those giant hand/gloves/boots/feet. Pretty much their worst BAF ever for Hasbro. Space Venom was a wasted BAF slot that should have gone to more fan favs/wants such as Nimrod, Strong guy, new Blob. I'd throw Monster Venom in their as well as a waste of a BAF slot.

As was stated by monron999, that "DOFP" boxset should be $69,99 & I may have even bought just for the Wolvy fig & then sold off the Sentinel for $55. Damn Mattel made the entire "Crime syndicate" team in a  boxset,  the entire core members of the  "LOSH" boxset but Hasbro can't do a boxset of classic 80s Avengers or classic X-Men from their 75' All new, all different X-Men"? TB used to do boxsets all the time. Why doesn't Hasbro?   Make a "Different armors of Ironman" boxset consisting of these 4 armors or a boxset with  those 3 armors IM-many-armors-of-iron-man.thumb.jpg.99d149ba3f9a979142a6761c7c13fae3.jpgIM-many-armors-of-iron-man.thumb.jpg.99d149ba3f9a979142a6761c7c13fae3.jpg. They would fly off the shelves. Enough with the umpteenth MCU armors. His latest one is looking more & more like the DC version of the modern Blue Beetle. With morphing tech & wings. WTF!

IM-ironmen_1.jpg

anyway back to what the topic is about. Do I think Galactus is coming? Honestly yes. There are a ton of new collectors who never got either version so I can see Hasbro re-releasing that figure with a Silver Surfer repaint.

That Marvel universe version is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY better then the TB version. Yes I said it. It's bigger and more menacing then that one. Now before TB diehard get on my case, I love the TB one. it was one of the first series I complete and what really got me into hardcore collecting. But only diehard collectors can say that the MU one is not superior.