Luke Cage Gets Canceled By Netflix

JayC

Just several weeks after it was announced that Iron Fist would not get picked up for a 3rd season on the Netflix streaming service it has been announced today that Luke Cage will also not be seeing a third season. Marvel and Netflix today in a joint-statement said:

“Unfortunately, ‘Marvel’s Luke Cage’ will not return for a third season. Everyone at Marvel Television and Netflix is grateful to the dedicated showrunner, writers, cast and crew who brought Harlem’s Hero to life for the past two seasons, and to all the fans who have supported the series,”

It's unclear at this time if either Cage or Iron Fist will end up on Disney's own streaming service which is slated to begin in 2019. It will be interesting to see if Jessica Jones or Daredevil which just had it's third season debut today will get renewed on Netflix or not. In fact it's really unclear at this point if there will be any more Marvel shows streaming on Netflix from this point on.

Luke-Cage-08__scaled_600.jpg

7 minutes ago, JayC said:

My guess is this latest season of Daredevil will be the final Netflix Marvel show as Disney shifts everything over to their own streaming service next year.

I heard they were making Punisher season 2. Let's hope this still makes it.

Just wish we could see Heroes for Hire instead now that Luke Cage and Iron Fist are both canceled. Luke Cage season 2 wasn't that bad.

1 minute ago, americamgl said:

I heard they were making Punisher season 2. Let's hope this still makes it.

Just wish we could see Heroes for Hire instead now that Luke Cage and Iron Fist are both canceled. Luke Cage season 2 wasn't that bad.

Cage season 2 wasn't bad but I thought Iron Fist season 2 was better. A Heroes for Hire series would be cool but I def think if that were to happen it would be on the new streaming service. Daredevil season 3 was really good and my guess is the best performing show of the bunch, so if Netflix doesn't pick it up for a 4th season I would say that def means Marvel and Netflix are done.

6 minutes ago, JayC said:

Cage season 2 wasn't bad but I thought Iron Fist season 2 was better. A Heroes for Hire series would be cool but I def think if that were to happen it would be on the new streaming service. Daredevil season 3 was really good and my guess is the best performing show of the bunch, so if Netflix doesn't pick it up for a 4th season I would say that def means Marvel and Netflix are done.

Wowww I was really not expecting this. Daredevil and Punisher both have been doing really well I though?  Is there something else behind this?  I really hope they keep Punisher and Daredevil going cause they’re by far my personal faves. I know they finished Punisher 2 as I heard Jon Bernthal on a podcast I listen to. 

9 minutes ago, JKenbok said:

Wowww I was really not expecting this. Daredevil and Punisher both have been doing really well I though?  Is there something else behind this?  I really hope they keep Punisher and Daredevil going cause they’re by far my personal faves. I know they finished Punisher 2 as I heard Jon Bernthal on a podcast I listen to. 

I def dont think Daredevil and Punisher and prob the same for the other will be canceled as in never be seen again. I think its just they will no longer air on Netflix. I don't think Punisher season 2 has been given any kind of release date so it will be interesting to see if it ends up on Netflix or not. I noticed no preview at the end of DD Season 3 for any other Marvel shows which is something they have normally done in the past.

32 minutes ago, JayC said:

My guess is this latest season of Daredevil will be the final Netflix Marvel show as Disney shifts everything over to their own streaming service next year.

Oh I’m sorry I just read this initial comment about Disney. That makes sense. I figured there had to be another reason. 

Clearly they are moving over. I hated how Cage season 2 ended but it was good. Kinda hate that Disney is going to pump us for more money. They better have a slew of good content or I'll be subscribing and dumping their service after binging a season.

10 hours ago, JayC said:

I def dont think Daredevil and Punisher and prob the same for the other will be canceled as in never be seen again. I think its just they will no longer air on Netflix. I don't think Punisher season 2 has been given any kind of release date so it will be interesting to see if it ends up on Netflix or not. I noticed no preview at the end of DD Season 3 for any other Marvel shows which is something they have normally done in the past.

Oooh good call. They do always do that. Man that’s kind of a bummer. I’ve been waiting what feels like forever for Punisher season 2. But if they do show up somewhere else for Disney that would be cool. I wonder if they’ll work something out where they can keep what’s been shot already. 

From what I hear, the Disney streaming service will be very family oriented and essentially capped at PG/soft PG-13 rated content, which makes sense. So, if these shows were to move to Disney's service, they'd be toned down considerably. Here's the thing though, Disney currently owns 30% of Hulu and will own 60% after the Fox acquisition goes through, making it entirely possible Disney will use Hulu for more "adult" (read, violent) content. My hunch is we'll see shows of this type end up there. It feels like Disney is done with Netflix, seeing them more as a major competitor now and less as a partner.

Now this is just dumb. I was never a Luke Cage fan but this show was great and interesting and made the character much more likable in my eyes. There better be a good reason for this like a new spinoff show with Fist and him as the heroes for hire.. if its just they werent getting enough ratings or however you gauge streaming service programs, I call BS. 

Well I didnt see that comming..... *cough, cough* [sarcastic tone], all jokes aside I know some people enjoyed both Iron Fist and Luke Cage and thats cool if you did. I personaly didn't, I thought both (along with Jessica Jones Season 2, which im betting will probably be next in lone to get the axe) suffered in 3 key components:
1) A streched storyline, in some cases not being very entretaining (seemed like the seasons would have been better if they were shorter, more episodes made for boring and unecesary moments in most episodes)
2) A lackluster or boring villian(s). and
3) An overall lack of action which gave way to a lot of talking and exposition (both had their action scenes but it seemed that they were too few and most were a bit dull).

11 hours ago, Hai_Karate said:

From what I hear, the Disney streaming service will be very family oriented and essentially capped at PG/soft PG-13 rated content, which makes sense. So, if these shows were to move to Disney's service, they'd be toned down considerably. Here's the thing though, Disney currently owns 30% of Hulu and will own 60% after the Fox acquisition goes through, making it entirely possible Disney will use Hulu for more "adult" (read, violent) content. My hunch is we'll see shows of this type end up there. It feels like Disney is done with Netflix, seeing them more as a major competitor now and less as a partner.

I like the characters of Iron fist and Luke Cage and thought they would have been great series would they have done them justice, so I really hope either Netflix plans on uniting both characters for a heroes for hire show (I dont know how the deal between Disney and Netlix was done), or Disney has plans to pick these shows up (and maybe the rest eventually) to either of their Streaming services (I agree they would be better suited for Hulu). Hopefuly Marvel TV will learn from their mistakes and plan these shows better, rather than just pumping them out as soon as they can with a poorly though out story arc, (also get writers that can make the actors shine like they did in DD, Punisher and the first season of JJ. Aside from The character of Look Cage, almost every other character in these two shows seemed to me like a perfect example of an acceptable casting that writing made boring. 

On 10/19/2018 at 11:56 PM, JayC said:

Well it appears that they are definitely cutting ties with marvel for good. Jessica Jones is currently filming. It might be the last show or they will wrap the shooting and save it for a relaunch at the streaming service.  Haven't watched DD yet but I bet it's amazing. 

If this isn't Marvel and Disney pulling their stuff off Netflix in preparation for the new streaming service, then I personally think they are building towards a Heroes for Hire show and a Daughters of the Dragon show.

Iron Fist was never that great so I get them canceling that, but Luke Cage did very well (regardless of how you feel about it), so cancelling that doesn't make tons of sense. 

If they do a Heroes for Hire spinoff, I hope they recast Iron Fist. That Jones guy doesn't do justice to Iron Fist.

Something way out of topic: I don't mind Iron Fist or Luke Cage being cancelled, but when Avengers Earth' Mightiest Heroes was cancelled, I was upset. That show was the best Avengers cartoon ever. Not sure if anyone used to watch it?

5 hours ago, americamgl said:

Something way out of topic: I don't mind Iron Fist or Luke Cage being cancelled, but when Avengers Earth' Mightiest Heroes was cancelled, I was upset. That show was the best Avengers cartoon ever. Not sure if anyone used to watch it?

I loved that show. I was super bummed when it was cancelled and then redesigned into Avengers Assemble. Originally I hated the change but I eventually got used to it.