Is Hasbro Planning On Doing A 90's Comic Book Based Marvel Legends War Machine?

JayC

Hasbro this morning posted to their Instagram account this image of concept art for what seems to be a comic book based 90's version of War Machine, which is leading some to believe that Hasbro might be trying to give us a clue for an upcoming Marvel Legends figure they have in the works. The one strange thing about this art work that is not in keeping with the 90's armor is that it looks like the arc reactor on his chest is shaped like a star as opposed to a circle. The star would be more of an indication of Iron Patriot, however the rest of the armor, especially the helmet looks very much like the 90's War Machine and Hasbro labels the image as War Machine.

Hasbro has posted similar types of concept art like this before, but it's always been for Marvel Legends figures that had already been released. Hasbro has done various 6" figures of War Machine from the movies and even did an Ultimate version many years ago, but only Toy Biz has done any kind of 6" Marvel Legends War Machine figure from the 90's comic book era. Hasbro did do a 3.75" Marvel Universe comic book based War Machine, so it is possible that this concept artwork was used for that figure. Only time will tell I guess. What do you think, should Hasbro do a new 6" 90's version of War Machine from the comics?

1 of 1

1 hour ago, tarot said:

god I so hope so. I'm sick of using MCU figures for Rhodey.

Maybe this is a preview of the reveals for London and/ or  Paris this weekend?

Doubt it, it would be too soon to show a preview... but fingers crossed.

I hope so.  War Machine is one of my favorite characters and there just aren't enough good Marvel Legends of him.  Most are too skinny/small.  Right now I have the MCU Civil War 2 pack War Machine standing in, but I'd love to get a proper comic based War Machine.  Preferably more modern, but the 90s look would be great too as long as it gets some really solid work on it from Hasbro.  

Nope. I'm not biting. I don't remember anywhere in the comics where any other armor other than the Iron Patriot armor had a star shaped Arch Reactor on it. It's much more Hasbro's MO to give us some weird amalgam of a figure we never expressed any interest in only to keep us on the hook for the figures we want. Anyone remember the whole Iron Skull and Secret WTF Captain America from a few Avengers waves ago? I don't know what the hell that is but it ain't War Machine.

Just now, monron999 said:

Nope. I'm not biting. I don't remember anywhere in the comics where any other armor other than the Iron Patriot armor had a star shaped Arch Reactor on it. It's much more Hasbro's MO to give us some weird amalgam of a figure we never expressed any interest in only to keep us on the hook for the figures we want. Anyone remember the whole Iron Skull and Secret WTF Captain America from a few Avengers waves ago? I don't know what the hell that is but it ain't War Machine.

It a concept art! it's not the final product. The artist probably just put it in himself, as in an artist interpretation. It have been done plenty of time. I seen this said so many times today I don't know if people don't understand Concept art.

Definitely hope that the star arc reactor is just concept art.  If it were to be a comic version of Rhodey as Iron Patriot, I'll pass on that easily.  A forgettable part of the character's history, as well as one I don't care to revisit.  

3 hours ago, tarot said:

It a concept art! it's not the final product. The artist probably just put it in himself, as in an artist interpretation. It have been done plenty of time. I seen this said so many times today I don't know if people don't understand Concept art.

Oh, I understand concept art, working in archetectural design for 15 years. I get the gist, believe me. I understand artist's (and engineers, for that matter) are a different breed and they always love to put their own flavor into their work, but putting a little spin in the aesthetics and putting a characters signature on another character changes the entire identity of that character. You aren't gonna put Storm's mohawk on Jane Foster in a black & white sketch and assume everyone is gonna recognize her as Jane Thor rather than Storm of the Thor Corps. The star reactor clearly indicates Iron Patriot while the 90's War Machine is a rectangle. Maybe I'm the only one who saw it this way, but my first look at the art steered me towards: a) an artist's preliminary rendering of Iron Patriot (who is one and the same as War Machine) for the Iron Man 2 movie or b) an artist's redesign or re-imagining  (artists love that word) of the Iron Patriot armor. A 90's War Machine would have come in a distant 3rd guess on my part. I think almost everyone else would have assumed it was Iron Patriot as well had the title of the article not pointed our minds in the direction of War Machine before we even began to reading it. I've been accused of hopeful thinking influencing my comments several times on this forum, but this time I'm gonna flip the script. This is clearly not War Machine and any assumptions made off this artwork was based on wishful thinking.

But hey, I could be wrong. I have been many times, and if I am I will conceed. I do want this to be the case. I would love it to be. We need a comic War Machine as bad as a comic Falcon or Hulk and if it is I'm totally in, even if it turns out to be some version of a comic Iron Patriot, I'm in, but looking at it in unbiased perspective, without influence from the article, I just don't understand where the inference of War Machine came from. There is zero indication on the Instagram or the art that it's even War Machine. Even the article itself says "it seems" to be War Machine. That's just pure conjecture. To me "it seems" like Iron Patriot. To someone else it could "seem" like a concept for another Iron Man armor. Better yet, it "seems" like I've even seen a version of Toni Ho's Iron Patriot armor (which she has several of) resemble this sketch.

So yes, I do understand the concept of "concept art". Sometimes it's just a fancy way of saying random sketching. I personally am quite a concept artist as well (mostly regarding my perfect woman). Obviously, if it's being released by Hasbro or anyone on the ML team it mean's something, but when was the last time they ever gave us any kinda real clue as to which direction they're actually heading? Maybe the next three conventions coming at the end of this week into the middle of next week will provide some answers, but most likely will just create more questions.

It looks like greenlucario sees it more from my perspective too. Is his opinion going to be instantly written off as well?

4 hours ago, etoebben said:

I think they should start changing their focus from the MCU and start focusing on the comics. They should probably focus on the 80's and 90's versions. Considering they are not selling to kids but grown ups that were kids during those times. 

I second this. Clearly people are after the comic book versions and not the MCU, those poor guys peg warm everywhere. Look at how excited the majority of us were with the Tiger Stripe Wolverine, Jim Lee Prof. X & Cyclops, classic Mysterio, Walgreens Thing...

1 hour ago, Hogun said:

We got 90s X-Men. So why not 90s Avengers next?

Bring on some Old School Avengers. May I suggest Thor and Loki??? :)

15 hours ago, etoebben said:

I think they should start changing their focus from the MCU and start focusing on the comics. They should probably focus on the 80's and 90's versions. Considering they are not selling to kids but grown ups that were kids during those times. 

Amen to that.

Make Marvel Legends great again!

:)

On one hand, I'm excited because Rhodey getting attention is always awesome. On the other hand, I'm skeptical because of that original design. Why would Hasbro design their own armor? Oddly enough, Hasbro has already designed their own War Machine armor, but it was used for a dollar store 3-POA 6 inch figure. Why does it have the Iron Patriot star? It could be so that the mold can be used for War Machine and Iron Patriot figures, since most of Hasbro's comic-style low-cost Iron Patriot figures (both Titan Heroes and 6 inch) are just Iron Men with the star awkwardly painted in pretending the circular unibeam isn't there and completely dissonant. But why would Hasbro share the sketch of the design for an expendable mold? Eh, I figure I'm reading too much into it. I should just be glad we're getting news about Rhodey figures.