90's/Jim Lee Beast!!!!

Rukkdeez

52 minutes ago, Rukkdeez said:

The Blob was (and is again) 5'10. Prior to his depowering, he mutated to 8' tall. This is official (and for once not the subject to "artistic license").  He's back to 5'10. If Hasbro releases a Blob figure, it should be as he's currently portrayed. What would be the point of making another large Blob when we've gotten that already? Surely we're not trying to bring back the "redo" era?  To your point Gmen, if they (Hasbro) made a new Blob figure and they scaled it to be 7', it should be taller than Fisk (who's 6'7), but then that would be inaccurate, not that Hasbro cares (Sasquatch anyone?).  Speaking of, I'm interested in seeing the Kingpin BAF's size compared to other Build-A-Figures (as well as some standalone figures). He should NOT be taller than the Abomination BAF (6'8), Colossus (7'5),  etc. If made at his current status, he should be (more or less) the Beast's height. Because of his girth, he should probably be a Build-A-Figure, but he doesn't have to be tall (being large is NOT a mandate for BAF's aka extra/free figures despite many a collector's refusal to accept that FACT).

Ya. It's most likely gonna be too tall. I think JayC said he measured it and it was right at 7.5 inches. It still looks pretty awesome though. For some reason a too tall Kingpin doesn't bother me near as much as a too short Sasquatch. Don't ask me to explain it cuz I can't.

Eh, I'm a recovering "Bigger Is Better" guy. I don't much care how large the BAF is anymore as long as it's done right. Usually it falls into one of three criteria: 1) the character is too big to be a single carded figure. 2) the figure requires a new or very specific scupt. Or 3) the figure more obscure and wouldn't necessarily be done otherwise. In the case of Mantis, it was a very specific sculpt plus there were already 2 females in the assortment. In the case of Okoye I just don't think they thought they could get away with putting 2 females that were almost identical in the same line up. In the end I think they took the gamble that the actress' popularity would push the collectors desire to finish the BAF. Also, something tells me the real BAF was supposed to be Man-Ape but pulled the idea cuz, as we know, in today's environment that could me misconstrued as offensive. Either way, though there are plenty of larger characters in the Marvel Universe that would qualify as BAF worthy, they have to weight a level of recognizabilty, demand and relation the the wave in its entirety. We're gonna get dome big hits and we're gonna get some that may not be everyone's cup of tea. It's up to the customer to decide if they wanna pay for it or not.

6 hours ago, Rukkdeez said:

The Blob was (and is again) 5'10. Prior to his depowering, he mutated to 8' tall. This is official (and for once not the subject to "artistic license").  He's back to 5'10. If Hasbro releases a Blob figure, it should be as he's currently portrayed. What would be the point of making another large Blob when we've gotten that already? Surely we're not trying to bring back the "redo" era?  To your point Gmen, if they (Hasbro) made a new Blob figure and they scaled it to be 7', it should be taller than Fisk (who's 6'7), but then that would be inaccurate, not that Hasbro cares (Sasquatch anyone?).  Speaking of, I'm interested in seeing the Kingpin BAF's size compared to other Build-A-Figures (as well as some standalone figures). He should NOT be taller than the Abomination BAF (6'8), Colossus (7'5),  etc. If made at his current status, he should be (more or less) the Beast's height. Because of his girth, he should probably be a Build-A-Figure, but he doesn't have to be tall (being large is NOT a mandate for BAF's aka extra/free figures despite many a collector's refusal to accept that FACT).

I stopped reading comics yrs ago so I was unaware that he had shrunk down to 5'10 again. Problem is that at a 6' scale, & being a huge fatbody, that would severely hinder his POA being as the arms/legs would be limited to very few POA. Also Hasbro's 6' scale is really more like 6.5  scale . TB was more of a true 6' scale based line as you can tell from the comp pics of Hasbro vs TB figures. Hasbro classic Vision is about a half a head taller than TB Vision & more bulkier. So 5'10 Blob translated to Hasbro scale would still be around Hasbro Vish hgt which I'm OK with, just wondering about the amount of POA they can give it & still have him be able to hit cool action poses.  At the same time if they make him 7' tall, he would only  be about half a head taller than Cap for example & they can squeeze in 2 more POA. I definitely don't want an 8' tall Blob that is as tall as Sasquatch.

I'm partial to Marc Silvestri & Chris Claremont's time doing X-Men so I may be biased, but I honestly think the modern portrayal of the Blob extends from one iconic story line from the late 80's. While Silvestri didn't exactly "redisign" characters as drastically as Jim Lee he did have a particular ability to make them more dynamic. As far as I can remember Blob had been portrayed as much smaller and more in line with his official stats until the "Fall of the Mutants" crossover event where he was drawn by Silvestri as this towering mass of meat and flab, basically a mountain with a cherry on top. I seriously believe this is the point where the Blob started to resemble the form he was in before his depowerment. He was made out to be the main nemesis for the returning Colossus and though the BAF doesn't perfectly line up with Silvestri's art it matches more closely with his art than most previous interpretations, especially in regards to size.

Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_225.jpg

BC_33-600x890.jpg

mlh2_blob1.jpg

Tell ya the truth, Hasbro just has to make a Blob figure be it depowered or further mutated bigger version ala the TB BAF. That will cause the price of the TB version to drop on ebay so those greedy sellers get karma for overpricing the figure in the 1st place. I remember a few yrs back where TB Vision cost a ton & now that the vintage wave version came out, the sellers have dropped the price drastically, same will be true of the TB Kingpin fig once the Hasbro version hits. That's why I hope Hasbro gives us a BAF Sentinel comparable in size to  the TB version so those come down in price as well. $200+  reeks of such greed.

11 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

Tell ya the truth, Hasbro just has to make a Blob figure be it depowered or further mutated bigger version ala the TB BAF. That will cause the price of the TB version to drop on ebay so those greedy sellers get karma for overpricing the figure in the 1st place. I remember a few yrs back where TB Vision cost a ton & now that the vintage wave version came out, the sellers have dropped the price drastically, same will be true of the TB Kingpin fig once the Hasbro version hits. That's why I hope Hasbro gives us a BAF Sentinel comparable in size to  the TB version so those come down in price as well. $200+  reeks of such greed.

The Blob was by Hasbro.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 7:19 AM, tarot said:

No hasbro released it but toybiz made it

Didn't Toy Biz show it off at Toy Fair or SDCC in like 2006 before the license went to Hasbro? I have a vague recollection of that happening but haven't been able to find a pic online...then I kinda forgot and stopped looking lol

1 hour ago, Rukkdeez said:

Then why no articulated hands and toes? That was a Toybiz staple.

Toybiz was planning on doing it anyway. They said as much during some interview. They just made hasbro take the fall, just like they were planning on doing away withbthe comic pack in. Times were tough and they couldnt  afford to do it

8 minutes ago, mako said:

I'm pretty sure I read where Hasbro created those early waves from scratch, hence the horrible articulation. At that point they didn't have the mechanics to do it right, or the time to come up with something better.

no Toybiz did the first 2 waves. They even revealed them at the SDCC before the Hasbro deal was gone through. The first Wave hasbro Made was the brood queen wave.

On 12/9/2018 at 8:12 AM, mako said:

I'm pretty sure I read where Hasbro created those early waves from scratch, hence the horrible articulation. At that point they didn't have the mechanics to do it right, or the time to come up with something better.

On 12/9/2018 at 8:22 AM, tarot said:

no Toybiz did the first 2 waves. They even revealed them at the SDCC before the Hasbro deal was gone through. The first Wave hasbro Made was the brood queen wave.

I've heard it both ways and anyone who really knows seems to have quit talking a long time ago, tho Jessie Falcon was out front batting for Hasbro from the start. As I remember, I think TB alluded to it at one time but it didn't show up in prototype until Hasbro showed it at Toyfair. There's still a picture out there of someone giving him a kiss, LOL. It actually looked like something TB designed but the articulation was more along the lines of what Hasbro was doing at the time. Mainly that whole rotation ankle thing with no pivot. If you'll remember, Hercules was a similar situation. He looked really good, right in line with what TB had been doing. Then you opened the box. In the end I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Hasbro surely retained the designs with the license and many of the creative team. Those first Hasbro waves were probably mostly a continuation of work started by TB with Hasbro clearly determined to do their own thing eventually.