JayC

Deadpool 2 PG-13 Edition Coming To Theaters In December With New Footage

It has been confirmed that the unknown Deadpool movie slated for a December 21 release that 20th Century announced a month ago will in fact be a PG-13 version of Deadpool 2. In an interview with /Film, Deadpool screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick revealed that the more kid-friendly version of the film will in fact feature new footage.

“We definitely shot new stuff,” Wernick said. “And recently too. After Deadpool 2 came out and we were all sitting around, we came to it less about the idea of let’s make a PG-13 movie and more, ‘Let’s talk a little bit about Deadpool.’ We were kicking around some ideas and then I think it was Ryan [Reynolds] who had the great framing device and we all got excited and went to the studio. They said, ‘Yeah, let’s do it. Fire up the cameras.’ About two months ago we were out on soundstages shooting again. Ryan was in the suit and the gang was back together, Dave Leitch and Ryan and us having a great time and laughing. It comes together great so we’re super excited about it.”

The overall story isn't expected to change to much. Rumors suggest that it will open similar to the Princess Pride movie that stared a young Fred Savage having a story read to him in bed.

A PG-13 version of Deadpool have many worried that this is being done to test the waters for when Disney takes over the reins of the Fox Marvel based movies next year, which has led many to fear that the merc with a mouth will get watered down and no longer be an R rated franchise. I don't know if that is the case or if this is just a money grab on the part of the studio. Disney in the past has indicated that they would be willing to keep Deadpool R rated, but if this is a test it is one I suspect will fail. The new footage while funny will likely be out on YouTube even before the movie launches in theaters, and even if it doesn't, I don't see it being enough to warrant buying an expensive movie ticket to see a movie most will have already seen, even younger kids who either sneaked into the theater or have since watched it on home release. Will you go see Deadpool again this holiday season???

Deadpool-2-PG-13.jpg

No no no. It's bad enough that they lower the rating for Deadpool 2, now they want to lower it even further?! Deadpool is not for kid! Stop trying to force it down kids throats.

9 minutes ago, tarot said:

No no no. It's bad enough that they lower the rating for Deadpool 2, now they want to lower it even further?! Deadpool is not for kid! Stop trying to force it down kids throats.

But a lot of kids  want to read/watch Deadpool. One comic shop here in Ireland even suggested an All-Ages Deadpool book would fly of the shelves, since a lot of kids think he's cool but can't read/watch DP due to the age rating

2 minutes ago, leokearon said:

But a lot of kids  want to read/watch Deadpool. One comic shop here in Ireland even suggested an All-Ages Deadpool book would fly of the shelves, since a lot of kids think he's cool but can't read/watch DP due to the age rating

Kids think anything with blood and guts is kool. Since you are from Ireland then you know of the Panini reprints. They basically are doing a Deadpool collectors edition but the stories they have in it are the tamest they could find.

2 minutes ago, tarot said:

Kids think anything with blood and guts is kool. Since you are from Ireland then you know of the Panini reprints. They basically are doing a Deadpool collectors edition but the stories they have in it are the tamest they could find.

Well there is Wolverine and Deadpool which does cover DP's ongoing. 

As for the Collector Editions doing tame stories, well they did get into a lot of trouble for printing Black Panther's Secret Invasion tie-in.

22 minutes ago, leokearon said:

As for the Collector Editions doing tame stories, well they did get into a lot of trouble for printing Black Panther's Secret Invasion tie-in.

Green blood a problem for the censors?

9 minutes ago, watanabefan said:

Green blood a problem for the censors?

no it was the fact that they killed the skrull and hung their head on pikes.

Sorry people. Superheroes were never meant to be Rated R. If that's what you wanna see, get in your car, drive as far as geographically possible from your kids, and arrange for professional help.

31 minutes ago, mako said:

Sorry people. Superheroes were never meant to be Rated R. If that's what you wanna see, get in your car, drive as far as geographically possible from your kids, and arrange for professional help.

That’s a ridiculous statement

Just now, JKenbok said:

That’s a ridiculous statement

Is there a box that all superhero movies need to fit in?  If so, how boring. There can be great r rated superhero movies. And if you’re into that you need help?  Sorry, nah

1 hour ago, JKenbok said:

Is there a box that all superhero movies need to fit in?  If so, how boring. There can be great r rated superhero movies. And if you’re into that you need help?  Sorry, nah

Movie Box Sets. (Sorry couldn't resist)

54 minutes ago, leokearon said:

Movie Box Sets. (Sorry couldn't resist)

Hahaaaa nice!

I would go see it for the laughs. But in no way I would be happy if they toned down the movie like forever. They could leave him exactly the way it is and if he happens to be in some avengers crossover then they tone it down. DP solo movies must remain the way they are. 

Leave Deadpool alone. Its awesome just the way it is. There is plenty of marvel movies the kids can watch. 

Well I'm certainly interested to see how this pans out. I can't say I'm surprised to see them creating a Deadpool for all ages as they cash in on his popularity. Batman is a classic example of a character's popularity and appeal allowing them to become... transcendent, so to speak. Harley Quinn is a similar more contemporary example.  They may have telegraphed this move with the storybook the included with the Target release of the Blu-Ray. In any event I won't be forking over my money to see it, but I'll be interested to see how people with children and families receive it, especially if they're already big Deadpool fans. 

Haha, back in the 80's they figured out that you had to get 'em young. Then they learned to wield the power of nostalgia. Now they've learned that they can do both and will be unstoppable even as parents indoctrinate their young, unaware of the cycle in which they partake. We're all doomed, I tells ya, DOOOOOOOOMED!!! 

It should be interesting to see how they make it PG-13 and if the movie holds up because of the changes

I think it’d just be fun to watch. But yeah idk about paying to see the same movie just changed up a little. 

I have some mixed feelings about this. As a 13 year old I'd personally just watch the R rated Deadpools. Also I don't know if a lot of money could be made off of this since some kids my age or maybe 11 and 12 already watched the R rated one in theaters.

On 10/30/2018 at 10:20 AM, leokearon said:

Like @tarot said DP is not for kids, at least DP done the right way. If kids are interested in DP it is because they want to see the funny, gory, crazy, etc. DP. I think kids should stay away from DP, Punisher, some Wolverine comics... Removing those key characteristics of DP would make kids not interested imo.

Kids have too much power nowadays, they demand and they are given...

I don't really agree with that, necessarily. Deadpool, for all his violence, has been published under Marvel's mainstream imprint for the vast majority of his existence. He's made appearances in cartoons and video games aimed at younger audiences.

image.thumb.png.8085c65eb22903bbe07c0d451a08bb19.png

header.jpg?t=1462222851

So while I'd say the creative freedom that comes with an R rating was a huge boon, I can't say he NEEDS to be hard R when he hasn't been for the vast majority of his existence. 

8 hours ago, americamgl said:

Like @tarot said DP is not for kids, at least DP done the right way. If kids are interested in DP it is because they want to see the funny, gory, crazy, etc. DP. I think kids should stay away from DP, Punisher, some Wolverine comics... Removing those key characteristics of DP would make kids not interested imo.

Kids have too much power nowadays, they demand and they are given...

and yet DP has appeared in cartoons and you can get action figures. Of course kids also like things they aren't supposed to

2 hours ago, leokearon said:

and yet DP has appeared in cartoons and you can get action figures. Of course kids also like things they aren't supposed to

Of course it will appear in cartoons. They will throw in Punisher shooting and not kill anyone and also Wolverine who has claws and doesn't slice anyone. It is called business.

Again, as I said "DP done the right way". I believe you missed the point of this topic.

53 minutes ago, americamgl said:

Again, as I said "DP done the right way". I believe you missed the point of this topic.

Exactly what IS the right way?

2 hours ago, mako said:

Exactly what IS the right way?

Why do you like DP?