Deadpool 2 PG-13 Edition Coming To Theaters In December With New Footage

JayC

It has been confirmed that the unknown Deadpool movie slated for a December 21 release that 20th Century announced a month ago will in fact be a PG-13 version of Deadpool 2. In an interview with /Film, Deadpool screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick revealed that the more kid-friendly version of the film will in fact feature new footage.

“We definitely shot new stuff,” Wernick said. “And recently too. After Deadpool 2 came out and we were all sitting around, we came to it less about the idea of let’s make a PG-13 movie and more, ‘Let’s talk a little bit about Deadpool.’ We were kicking around some ideas and then I think it was Ryan [Reynolds] who had the great framing device and we all got excited and went to the studio. They said, ‘Yeah, let’s do it. Fire up the cameras.’ About two months ago we were out on soundstages shooting again. Ryan was in the suit and the gang was back together, Dave Leitch and Ryan and us having a great time and laughing. It comes together great so we’re super excited about it.”

The overall story isn't expected to change to much. Rumors suggest that it will open similar to the Princess Pride movie that stared a young Fred Savage having a story read to him in bed.

A PG-13 version of Deadpool have many worried that this is being done to test the waters for when Disney takes over the reins of the Fox Marvel based movies next year, which has led many to fear that the merc with a mouth will get watered down and no longer be an R rated franchise. I don't know if that is the case or if this is just a money grab on the part of the studio. Disney in the past has indicated that they would be willing to keep Deadpool R rated, but if this is a test it is one I suspect will fail. The new footage while funny will likely be out on YouTube even before the movie launches in theaters, and even if it doesn't, I don't see it being enough to warrant buying an expensive movie ticket to see a movie most will have already seen, even younger kids who either sneaked into the theater or have since watched it on home release. Will you go see Deadpool again this holiday season???

Deadpool-2-PG-13.jpg

9 minutes ago, tarot said:

No no no. It's bad enough that they lower the rating for Deadpool 2, now they want to lower it even further?! Deadpool is not for kid! Stop trying to force it down kids throats.

But a lot of kids  want to read/watch Deadpool. One comic shop here in Ireland even suggested an All-Ages Deadpool book would fly of the shelves, since a lot of kids think he's cool but can't read/watch DP due to the age rating

2 minutes ago, leokearon said:

But a lot of kids  want to read/watch Deadpool. One comic shop here in Ireland even suggested an All-Ages Deadpool book would fly of the shelves, since a lot of kids think he's cool but can't read/watch DP due to the age rating

Kids think anything with blood and guts is kool. Since you are from Ireland then you know of the Panini reprints. They basically are doing a Deadpool collectors edition but the stories they have in it are the tamest they could find.

2 minutes ago, tarot said:

Kids think anything with blood and guts is kool. Since you are from Ireland then you know of the Panini reprints. They basically are doing a Deadpool collectors edition but the stories they have in it are the tamest they could find.

Well there is Wolverine and Deadpool which does cover DP's ongoing. 

As for the Collector Editions doing tame stories, well they did get into a lot of trouble for printing Black Panther's Secret Invasion tie-in.

31 minutes ago, mako said:

Sorry people. Superheroes were never meant to be Rated R. If that's what you wanna see, get in your car, drive as far as geographically possible from your kids, and arrange for professional help.

That’s a ridiculous statement

I would go see it for the laughs. But in no way I would be happy if they toned down the movie like forever. They could leave him exactly the way it is and if he happens to be in some avengers crossover then they tone it down. DP solo movies must remain the way they are. 

Well I'm certainly interested to see how this pans out. I can't say I'm surprised to see them creating a Deadpool for all ages as they cash in on his popularity. Batman is a classic example of a character's popularity and appeal allowing them to become... transcendent, so to speak. Harley Quinn is a similar more contemporary example.  They may have telegraphed this move with the storybook the included with the Target release of the Blu-Ray. In any event I won't be forking over my money to see it, but I'll be interested to see how people with children and families receive it, especially if they're already big Deadpool fans. 

Haha, back in the 80's they figured out that you had to get 'em young. Then they learned to wield the power of nostalgia. Now they've learned that they can do both and will be unstoppable even as parents indoctrinate their young, unaware of the cycle in which they partake. We're all doomed, I tells ya, DOOOOOOOOMED!!! 

On 10/30/2018 at 10:20 AM, leokearon said:

Like @tarot said DP is not for kids, at least DP done the right way. If kids are interested in DP it is because they want to see the funny, gory, crazy, etc. DP. I think kids should stay away from DP, Punisher, some Wolverine comics... Removing those key characteristics of DP would make kids not interested imo.

Kids have too much power nowadays, they demand and they are given...

I don't really agree with that, necessarily. Deadpool, for all his violence, has been published under Marvel's mainstream imprint for the vast majority of his existence. He's made appearances in cartoons and video games aimed at younger audiences.

image.thumb.png.8085c65eb22903bbe07c0d451a08bb19.png

header.jpg?t=1462222851

So while I'd say the creative freedom that comes with an R rating was a huge boon, I can't say he NEEDS to be hard R when he hasn't been for the vast majority of his existence. 

8 hours ago, americamgl said:

Like @tarot said DP is not for kids, at least DP done the right way. If kids are interested in DP it is because they want to see the funny, gory, crazy, etc. DP. I think kids should stay away from DP, Punisher, some Wolverine comics... Removing those key characteristics of DP would make kids not interested imo.

Kids have too much power nowadays, they demand and they are given...

and yet DP has appeared in cartoons and you can get action figures. Of course kids also like things they aren't supposed to

2 hours ago, leokearon said:

and yet DP has appeared in cartoons and you can get action figures. Of course kids also like things they aren't supposed to

Of course it will appear in cartoons. They will throw in Punisher shooting and not kill anyone and also Wolverine who has claws and doesn't slice anyone. It is called business.

Again, as I said "DP done the right way". I believe you missed the point of this topic.

This is no bullshit but I first got into Deadpool when I was a kid reading the original X-Force comics and saw him sneak into their base for Tolliver and kicked the #$## out of Shatterstar, but eventually got his ass handed to him by the others. I latched onto him right away. He was hilarious back then but not ridiculous yet. He was still kinda mysterious and badass but cracked great jokes. Then Circle Chase came out and I loved that. He was my favorite action figure as a kid with that little retractable knife thingy. But I liked him for what he was. He kinda lost his savor for me when Daniel Way kind of made him ridiculous and it only got worse. I still like him, but I like him for what he is and I definitely don’t want to see him changed permantly. But of course, it’s all about raking in the younger audience. Always has been. I understand what they’re doing. I just don’t want to see it become a permanent thing. But I don’t think it will be. And if you read the comics you know it hasn’t. It is what it is. All about the money as all business is. What can you do?

6 hours ago, americamgl said:

Of course it will appear in cartoons. They will throw in Punisher shooting and not kill anyone and also Wolverine who has claws and doesn't slice anyone. It is called business.

Again, as I said "DP done the right way". I believe you missed the point of this topic.

DP done the right way can mean any sort of things, depending on what you think a character should be portrayed

Wolverine in the 90's cartoon didn't cut anyone, just robots but still acted like Logan. So the thing is how much different will Deadpool 2 be without all the R-Rated stuff. Will it be better/worse or the same. The worrying thing is technically it has to be worse, otherwise there will be a validation that the whole R-Rated hero movie is pointless.