Favorite Marvel Legend of the year so far!

eeron123

In a record (maybe historic is the more apt word) year for Legends with 10 waves already out and a promised 11th wave before years send, on top of the countless box sets, 2-packs and exclusives, this really is the definitive year for the line, for now anyway. By my math (I’m too lazy to double check so plus or minus 1 or 2), we have received 137 individual figures this year (not unique, just individual) when you add everything up. CRAZY. 

With that being said, my #1 for the year is Thing. Thing, imo, is nothing short of a 10/10 masterpiece, as far as modern Hasbro legends are concerned. Below is my top 10 favorite figs along with top 10 runner ups.

1. Thing

2. Cable

3. Vintage Vision

4. Doc Ock

5. Namor

6. MCU Yellowjacket

7. MCU Crossbones

8. SDCC Red Skull

9. Taskmaster

10. Silver Surfer

Runners Up (in no particular order):

1. Reed Richards

2. Elektra

3. Prowler

4. Klaw

5. Deathlok

6. Mysterio (superb figure but sculpting his suit lines and not painting them really irked me)

7. MCU Ant Man 2

8. Vintage Wasp

9. 90s Deadpool

10. Bishop

14 hours ago, greenlucario said:

For those that felt Psylocke was a let down, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts as to why, I mean other than her not being on the Moonstone body.

Psylocke is my favorite x-woman and then it is Storm. And absolutely my first problem was the body they chose, second was the face sculpt. The face is not good looking at all! I see Scarlet Witch, Dark Phoenix, the new Wasp, and all of these females have beautiful faces with great paint. Then, her hip joints really hinder her from cool ninja poses.

Still it is better than the Toybiz one, has cool accessories, and it could have been worst like someone else said they could have given her pants lol.

12 hours ago, Hogun said:

No interchangeable left hand and it's kind of hard to have him hold the big gun with both hands.

That's very true. I have been trying to find a left hand for him that can hold his other guns. I am actually having a problem where his right hand is so stretched open from holding the big gun that he can't hold the little guns anymore :( they fall out of his hand!!!

6 hours ago, americamgl said:

Psylocke is my favorite x-woman and then it is Storm. And absolutely my first problem was the body they chose, second was the face sculpt. The face is not good looking at all! I see Scarlet Witch, Dark Phoenix, the new Wasp, and all of these females have beautiful faces with great paint. Then, her hip joints really hinder her from cool ninja poses.

Still it is better than the Toybiz one, has cool accessories, and it could have been worst like someone else said they could have given her pants lol.

I totally get that.  I painted the unmasked Silk head so that it would have purple hair, I hated the face too.  But yeah it's not a perfect figure.  To me the plus is that the articulation and accessories are a lot better than the past ones.  But if she was one of my favorite characters, I'd be where you are for sure.   

5 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

I totally get that.  I painted the unmasked Silk head so that it would have purple hair, I hated the face too.  But yeah it's not a perfect figure.  To me the plus is that the articulation and accessories are a lot better than the past ones.  But if she was one of my favorite characters, I'd be where you are for sure.   

Would you guys say that the SDCC Uncanny X-Men Psylocke face is better or worse than the new one?

3 hours ago, greenlucario said:

I tried looking for the Silk figure but wow was she expensive!!!

3 hours ago, JKenbok said:

Would you guys say that the SDCC Uncanny X-Men Psylocke face is better or worse than the new one?

I actually don't like neither one, but if I was to choose one I would go with the X-Force one. Not sure if I say that because I don't have that figure and actually haven't seen it in person.

I have seen some customs and they are spot on.

1 hour ago, americamgl said:

I actually don't like neither one, but if I was to choose one I would go with the X-Force one. Not sure if I say that because I don't have that figure and actually haven't seen it in person.

Yeah I’m honestly not sure which I’d pick. Neither is perfect but in my opinion neither is terrible. The x-force one def looks more Asian which would be more correct but I guess the new one doesn’t look not Asian. I don’t know. I’d prefer something better myself. 

All time favorite of the year is definitely Thing. Despite the terrible press image that gave me severe anxiety that we were getting yet another terrible attempt at the Thing, he turned out amazing and comic accurate and Hasbro did not skimp on materials. Additionally there were a ton of standouts this year that could all have legitimate claim for runner up.

GRAND CHAMPION - Thing

10. Black Dwarf - I refuse to call him Cull Obsidian. I will not cave to the word police.

9. Invincible Iron Man - first original comic IM in years (how sad is that?) And it did not disappoint. Get it and love it guys, cuz it'll probably be another 5 years till we get a new one.

8. Silver Surfer - I guess they took their time to make sure they got it right. Poorly designed board aside, mission accomplished.

7. Bishop - it wasn't all that new considering it was almost all reused parts but they did manage to beat out the TB version, which was excellent in its own time.

6. MCU Wasp - wow, from the biggest critic of the MCU figs, even I can see the beauty in this one. Great sculpt and the actors face was captured very well.

5. Prowler - absolutely perfect representation of the character.  This one they got right on the first try.

4. Sauron - never woulda expected it eoulda turned out that good, especially considering it used quite a few reused parts. Incredible use of resources.

3. Riders Wave Black Widow - I do not mind paying for a premium set as long as it's done right. Just like Iron Man, it's a tragedy that we had to wait do long for an updated comic version of BW.

2. Ant Man from 2 pack - outta nowhere. New sculpt, great design, nice clean paint apps. Much better than expected.

1. Omega Red - untouchable. Beautiful, accurate. And great articulation. This woulda been the top dog had Thing not snuck in under the wire. The argument could easily be made that this was the best.

Also remember the Kingpin wave is supposed to hit before year end. While I'm not all that excited for any of the figures in the wave, that Kingpin looks amazing so far.

I might be the only one, but I actually do not like the new Silver Surfer. I feel he was a bit short and the board was not helpful when it came to the poses. He definitely was great with the amount of extra hands included, but still not good enough. The paint in many of these I have seen is not the greatest.

I thought of buying some magnets, drilling the feet of this figure and super gluing in to use the old ToyBiz surf board.

32 minutes ago, americamgl said:

I might be the only one, but I actually do not like the new Silver Surfer. I feel he was a bit short and the board was not helpful when it came to the poses. He definitely was great with the amount of extra hands included, but still not good enough. The paint in many of these I have seen is not the greatest.

I thought of buying some magnets, drilling the feet of this figure and super gluing in to use the old ToyBiz surf board.

He’s not perfect, but I think he’s pretty damn good. The board could’ve been better for sure. Hard to pose him on there. The head could’ve been a little better.  It all in all I love the buck they used for him, and the extra hands and accessories were great. That said, I gotta say, I didn’t mess around with him as much as figures like the Thing, Omega Red, Apocalypse, and Sauron. 

21 hours ago, JKenbok said:

I'd give it to the new one, for articulation and accessories.  The old one has a slightly better head sculpt than the new one, and the hair is guarunteed to be purple, but those y joints in the hips are frustrating compared to the new one's t joints.  

I had to do a head swap and paint just to get something like the Psylocke figure I'd prefer, new one's body, Silk unmasked head, hair painted purple.  

18 hours ago, americamgl said:

I didn't realize it had gotten that expensive.  I actually had purchased the figure whenever it came out, and it had been laying around as a possible Psylocke custom that I never got around to finishing.  When Hasbro announced the new one, I figured I'd at least finish the hair.

20 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

I'd give it to the new one, for articulation and accessories.  The old one has a slightly better head sculpt than the new one, and the hair is guarunteed to be purple, but those y joints in the hips are frustrating compared to the new one's t joints.  

I had to do a head swap and paint just to get something like the Psylocke figure I'd prefer, new one's body, Silk unmasked head, hair painted purple.  

For sure the body of the new one. It was a toss up for the faces though. If the paint was better on the SDCC one I’d go with that one. I think considering that I still go with that one lol. I hated those old leg joints though. Losing those drove me nuts. I really wish the Wolverine from that box set had the updated hip/leg joints too. 

Top 10 ML for the Year

1. Scarlet Spider (Kaine)- I'm a huge fan of the character from Yost's series a few years ago and this one has a much better sculpt and articulation, plus those stingers are awesome.  One drawback would be the lack of thwipping hands, but a quick custom paint job for a Ben Reilly hand and it's much better.

2. Sauron- I mean he's a huge, pterodactyl man with the one largest wingspans in ML, an amazing sculpt, and a superb paint job, plus despite it all he can stand on his own.  What else is there to say? 

3. Psylocke- Despite the fact that this figure isn't perfect the classic colors and better articulation definitely make this a great figure, the accessories are superb.  Truth be told, this one got a bit of custom work to make it this far, but I'd still rank it in the top five without the custom work.

4. Songbird- Love the sonic energy wings effect, plus its a figure that not only have I been hoping to get, it's an upgrade on a figure we were teased with and never actually got.

5. Mysterio- We've never had a ML Mysterio, and as a huge Spider-Man fan he had to make the list for that alone.  Add to that the nice effects and the fact that he doesn't have a gimmick like that Spider-Man classics one? It's a win-win.  

6. Prowler- Again another "never had a ML" Spidey character, despite the floppy add ons and the cape, it's a great addition to the Spider-Man collection.

7. Ghost Rider w/ Hell Cycle- It's amazing that it's take this long to get a good bike to go with Ghost Rider, but the set is excellent.  The only thing keeping it this far down on the list is the color choice.  As a huge Ghost Rider fan, I'd have liked a more modern color scheme for Johnny, something circa 2007.

8. Cloak and Dagger- Is it cheating to give them the same spot? I doubt they'd rank this high for me alone and so together they fill out that Spider-Man's supporting characters niche and that's enough for me.  Cloak elevates the pair with his awesome translucent cloak and Dagger brings the duo down a bit with the head sculpt and paint.  

9. Elektra- Holy...that head sculpt is spectacular! Add that to a good base body with some great sai and some swappable hands, easy entry to this list.

10. Thing and Black Dwarf/Cull Obsidian- I couldn't decide which one I liked better.  Both are practically head to toe new sculpt (not sure of Black Dwarf's torso has an overlay or not).  They're solid, imposing, and while Thing was desperately needed, more than Black Dwarf, the paint and sculpt on both is nothing to take lightly.  

Honorable Mentions

-Mr. Fantastic- Lost out to Thing, would have tied with Black Dwarf otherwise.

-Apocalypse- Great figure, but hard to pose dynamically, the ankle add ons are in the way constantly, plus had to buy Archangel just for the extra hand attachment.

-Thanos (Walmart)- Much better paint than the first, still has a terribly floppy torso.

-Wasp (Vintage)- Excellent figure, great head sculpt, cool wing effects, but largely, seen before.  An effect or two might have helped it crack the Top 10.

-Dock Ock- The arms, having to replace them with the superior ToyBiz ones which not everyone has, so not a cost effective custom.

-Black Knight-Great figure, just not as needed or necessary in my collection.

-Spider-Punk- Not that I don't love Spider-Man variants, but this one would have had to be Kaine to crack the top 10.  Awesome and fun figure.

-Spider-Man Noir- Again, no Spider-Man variant short of Kaine was getting in the Top 10, but it's a great figure that I'm happy to own.

-Carnage (Updated)- Not a lot of new going on here.  The new hands and head are excellent, definitely the best Carnage figure in ML but the lack of new hurts it.

-Scream

-King Cobra

-Invincible Iron Man

-Iron Spider (MCU)- No legs, probably would have placed higher if it had come with the legs.

-Taskmaster- Still can 't warm up to the head sculpt, don't know why.

21 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

I didn't realize it had gotten that expensive.  I actually had purchased the figure whenever it came out, and it had been laying around as a possible Psylocke custom that I never got around to finishing.  When Hasbro announced the new one, I figured I'd at least finish the hair.

Dude she’s crazy expensive now!  And I think a big part of it is that head sculpt. It’s beautiful and can work for several females repainted 

Just now, JKenbok said:

Dude she’s crazy expensive now!  And I think a big part of it is that head sculpt. It’s beautiful and can work for several females repainted 

Another option would be the Jessica Jones from the Defenders set, same sculpt.  Also pricey, but if you wanted the other figures I guess that's an option.

3 minutes ago, JKenbok said:

For sure the body of the new one. It was a toss up for the faces though. If the paint was better on the SDCC one I’d go with that one. I think considering that I still go with that one lol. I hated those old leg joints though. Losing those drove me nuts. I really wish the Wolverine from that box set had the updated hip/leg joints too. 

Yeah, I loved Uncanny X-Force, I wish Wolverine could get an update in that costume too.

6 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

Yeah, I loved Uncanny X-Force, I wish Wolverine could get an update in that costume too.

Fingers crossed we get him in the new Wolverine buck. I could’ve swore I heard earlier in the year that we were getting Uncanny X-Force in 2019 but now it looks like its gonna be 90’s X-Force(which I’m also cool with) but if Hasbro is smart they’ll re-release Uncanny X-Force Archangel, Wolverine on the new buck, the new Psylocke painted to X-Force and I’d love a new Fantomex and Warpath. 

35 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

Another option would be the Jessica Jones from the Defenders set, same sculpt.  Also pricey, but if you wanted the other figures I guess that's an option.

Yeah for sure I actually grabbed her for that purpose. Still pricey but not as much as Silk. I was planning to make a madame viper custom. 

26 minutes ago, JKenbok said:

Fingers crossed we get him in the new Wolverine buck. I could’ve swore I heard earlier in the year that we were getting Uncanny X-Force in 2019 but now it looks like its gonna be 90’s X-Force(which I’m also cool with) but if Hasbro is smart they’ll re-release Uncanny X-Force Archangel, Wolverine on the new buck, the new Psylocke painted to X-Force and I’d love a new Fantomex and Warpath. 

I would love that.  Would like to see a better Famtomex too.  I went pretty crazy to find Warpath originally, so I'm torn about a new one, but I guess it's good for new collectors.

Just now, JKenbok said:

Yeah for sure I actually grabbed her for that purpose. Still pricey but not as much as Silk. I was planning to make a madame viper custom. 

That's a good choice too, that head sculpt is really versatile for customs.

47 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

I would love that.  Would like to see a better Famtomex too.  I went pretty crazy to find Warpath originally, so I'm torn about a new one, but I guess it's good for new collectors.

That's a good choice too, that head sculpt is really versatile for customs.

Yeah that Warpath was priiiicey. And it is still good looking, but again...those damn hip/leg joints. 

It is good for customs. I used that Polaris body but changed the outfit some and got a green wired cape. Looks decent enough. That old viper was terrible. 

23 hours ago, JKenbok said:

Yeah I’m honestly not sure which I’d pick. Neither is perfect but in my opinion neither is terrible. The x-force one def looks more Asian which would be more correct but I guess the new one doesn’t look not Asian. I don’t know. I’d prefer something better myself. 

I love the buck they used for Psylocke. I have a feeling this Dark Phoenix/Psylocke buck is the one they're planning to phase out the Moonstone buck with. Psylocke's face sculpt was not nearly as good as it coulda been, especially comparing it to Elektra's. Obviously they have to employ several different sculptors, but some are just not as adept at faces as others. Somehow if they coulda made Elektra and Psylocke on the same buck and used the same artist/sculptor for both face sculpts they both would been perfect. I have a feeling they're gonna find a way to improve on that face sculpt, similar to the way they packed a few extra head sculpts into the Dark Phoenix/Cyclops pack, as Psylocke (for the time being) has gone back to her British identity. Maybe a modern costume Psylocke with Asian & British swap heads is somewhere in the future. That way we can use the Asian sculpt with the classic figure and British sculpt with the modern figure. Problem solved.

Here is my list

1. Ghost Rider w/bike - I have been wanting a Ghost Rider with bike even during when I took a break from Legends. Hasbro has delivered me this amazing figure.

2. Thing - I really only expected an open hand and a fist with this year's Walgreens exclusive and Hasbro just exceeded my expectations with this Thing figure. It's the only one that really feels like it was ripped from the comics.

3. Psylocke - I love this Psylocke so much. I think the articulation and interchangeable hands could have been better but I still really love this figure nonetheless. I painted the hair on my copy purple before I purchased the purple haired version that I found out in the wild, which I have sealed.

4. Magneto - I know a lot of people don't like this particular costume with Magneto and I considered customizing it into a classic or Marvel Now! Magneto before I got my hands on it and decided against it. He was my second most wanted figure from the Apocalypse BAF wave and it's because I really wanted a Magneto figure for my Marvel Legends collection. I'm glad I can use the accessories for other figures like his effect hand for Bishop. Overall, I think this Magneto figure is AMAZING!

5. Apocalypse BAF - I'm being biased for this one because Apocalypse is my favorite X-Men villain. I wish he came with more interchangeable parts. A clamp is better than nothing though.

6 - Bishop - I'm going to let the lack of accessories bar a rifle and a BAF piece slide because I am so glad to own a Bishop figure in my collection. He is easily one of if not the most desirable figure in the entire Deadpool wave 2. Hasbro has nailed the face sculpt and the paint apps, bar minor QC issues on the left leg. I'm letting my problems slide because I can just use the accessories that came with this year's Cable and Magneto as substitutes.

7 - Infinity War Thor - Thor is my favorite Avenger and Hasbro gave me a great Thor figure with a good amount of articulation. My only gripe is the face sculpt. He looks too sad.

8 - Erik Killmonger - In terms of figures that have won me over, this takes the cake. I was initially skeptical about the whole Evil Black Panther thing going on with this piece. But as time went on, I slowly started to love this piece, eventually getting it along with my Blu-Ray copy of Black Panther and the new Black Panther figure itself. And I do like this figure more than the Black Panther figure so that's saying something.

9 - Namor - I am just loving this classic Namor figure. I know it might come off wrong. But I love the interchangeable parts it comes with. I'm one of the few who likes the bearded head sculpt over the regular one.

10 - Domino - I like the Cable from that wave more. But he is my biggest letdown. This Domino figure looks beautiful. The head sculpt in particular is comic accurate. I really think Hasbro killed it with this Domino figure.

Honorable mentions include The rest of the Warlock BAF wave bar Old Man Logan, which I've purchased last weekend thus completing Warlock. Both Thanos figures. The Human Torch figure which I've also purchased this year. The Doc. Strange and Iron Man figures from the 3-pack set and Mr. Fantastic

2 hours ago, monron999 said:

I love the buck they used for Psylocke. I have a feeling this Dark Phoenix/Psylocke buck is the one they're planning to phase out the Moonstone buck with. Psylocke's face sculpt was not nearly as good as it coulda been, especially comparing it to Elektra's. Obviously they have to employ several different sculptors, but some are just not as adept at faces as others. Somehow if they coulda made Elektra and Psylocke on the same buck and used the same artist/sculptor for both face sculpts they both would been perfect. I have a feeling they're gonna find a way to improve on that face sculpt, similar to the way they packed a few extra head sculpts into the Dark Phoenix/Cyclops pack, as Psylocke (for the time being) has gone back to her British identity. Maybe a modern costume Psylocke with Asian & British swap heads is somewhere in the future. That way we can use the Asian sculpt with the classic figure and British sculpt with the modern figure. Problem solved.

I love that idea