Favorite Marvel Legend of the year so far!

eeron123

5 hours ago, monron999 said:

I love the buck they used for Psylocke. I have a feeling this Dark Phoenix/Psylocke buck is the one they're planning to phase out the Moonstone buck with. Psylocke's face sculpt was not nearly as good as it coulda been, especially comparing it to Elektra's. Obviously they have to employ several different sculptors, but some are just not as adept at faces as others. Somehow if they coulda made Elektra and Psylocke on the same buck and used the same artist/sculptor for both face sculpts they both would been perfect. I have a feeling they're gonna find a way to improve on that face sculpt, similar to the way they packed a few extra head sculpts into the Dark Phoenix/Cyclops pack, as Psylocke (for the time being) has gone back to her British identity. Maybe a modern costume Psylocke with Asian & British swap heads is somewhere in the future. That way we can use the Asian sculpt with the classic figure and British sculpt with the modern figure. Problem solved.

Throw in Wolverine's head sculpt while at it. That one needs some serious fixing. At least Psylocke's head is acceptable, Logan's head is just wrong... Doesn't even look human... 

42 minutes ago, americamgl said:

Throw in Wolverine's head sculpt while at it. That one needs some serious fixing. At least Psylocke's head is acceptable, Logan's head is just wrong... Doesn't even look human... 

Yeah the riders series one?  Not good. I hate the slit eye look, the strange black line above his eyelid which does not look like an eyeline, eyelashes and is definitely not eyebrows cause he always has wayyyyy too much eyebrow above that. And it looks like that Kraven in the new two packing coming out is the same sculptor. 

Yes, it's becoming pretty clear that some sculptors should be relegated to specific areas of expertise (ie. females, males, monster type faces, mechanical faces, etc.) The person who did the Logan sculpts gave it the good ol' college try but it just didn't work out. Everything they do seems to be way too expressive and over exaggerated. It's clear the person(s) who did Logan also did the new Kraven head sculpt. On the othe side of the coin, it looks like the same person who did the deadpan, expressionless Psylocke head sculpt also did the Forge sculpt. I think it's just a matter of them figuring out which artist is capable of properly doing the character at hand. Guess there's still a few kinks to iron out.

Ugh I hate that Forge head. I agree I think it looks like it's from a different universe than the other Marvel Legends, it's the other end of the spectrum from the very cartoony maskless Wolverine, which coincidentally also sucks.

I would put the Riders series Black Widow in the Forge column.

Best Marvel Legends head sculpts (I don't collect movie figures):

Rogue

Dark Phoenix (from the two pack)

Punisher (Walgreens exclusive)

Namor (Walgreens exclusive) which I customized into Quicksilver

Punk Storm (the excessive neck articulation kinda ruins it)

Sabretooth (the mouth corner slits don't bother me)

90s Cable

Mr Fantastic (has that Mike Wieringo look) & Invisible Woman

Multiple Man (smirk)

Elektra

Bishop

Big fan of that Hercules headsculpt

Worst:

Helmetless Magneto (wtf Hasbro)

Letdowns:

Psylocke

Domino (that facesculpt works better as Janet)

There's probably others.

5 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

Best Marvel Legends head sculpts (I don't collect movie figures):

Rogue

Dark Phoenix (from the two pack)

Punisher (Walgreens exclusive)

Namor (Walgreens exclusive) which I customized into Quicksilver

Punk Storm (the excessive neck articulation kinda ruins it)

Sabretooth (the mouth corner slits don't bother me)

90s Cable

Mr Fantastic (has that Mike Wieringo look) & Invisible Woman

Multiple Man (smirk)

Elektra

Bishop

Big fan of that Hercules headsculpt

Worst:

Helmetless Magneto (wtf Hasbro)

Letdowns:

Psylocke

Domino (that facesculpt works better as Janet)

There's probably others.

I know you just forgot about that Silk head sculpt right ?  That one is gorgeous. You’re right Rogue is up in my top theee females for sure. 

11 hours ago, JKenbok said:

I know you just forgot about that Silk head sculpt right ?  That one is gorgeous. You’re right Rogue is up in my top theee females for sure. 

I don't have that one but yea I agree, Silk is a gorgeous head sculpt. That said (and I know you didn't suggest it) it would've been a bigger letdown if Hasbro just plopped that head on a female buck and called it Psylocke.

1 hour ago, enzosaurusrex said:

I don't have that one but yea I agree, Silk is a gorgeous head sculpt. That said (and I know you didn't suggest it) it would've been a bigger letdown if Hasbro just plopped that head on a female buck and called it Psylocke.

Yeah that’s true. Would’ve been super disappointing. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow. Probably the hardest year ever to answer this question, give all the waves and other releases.  Some that come to mind (in no special order):

Thing 

Scarlet Spider

Wasp - Vintage wave 2

Wasp - MCU

Ghost Rider on bike

Tiger Stripe Wolverine

Elektra

Very favorite is probably Dark Phoenix from the TRU 2-pack. Wanted one forever, and they delivered a great one. 

Edit:  Totally forgot to mention Omega Red!! So good!

Man this is difficult but off the top of my head Thing and Dark Phoenix were the two figures that they really knocked out of the park. I usually customize my loose figures but I could leave these two exactly as the came and be happy. I really like 90's Cable but I customized him quite a bit. I am going to look over this year and try and come up with a more in depth list. 

I noticed a few people have the Dark Pheonix from the TRU X-Men 2 Pack on their fav figs from 2018 list but that set came out in the summer of 2017 lol.

It is a nice figure though and to this day, that set was the hardest 2-Pack to track down (In my experience) since they re-introduced the 2pack line. I could be wrong but I also think it goes for the most money on eBay compared to all of the other 2-packs released over the last couple years.

Hasbro...maybe do some more X-Men 2packs lol?

22 hours ago, CobraSaboteur87 said:

I noticed a few people have the Dark Pheonix from the TRU X-Men 2 Pack on their fav figs from 2018 list but that set came out in the summer of 2017 lol.

It is a nice figure though and to this day, that set was the hardest 2-Pack to track down (In my experience) since they re-introduced the 2pack line. I could be wrong but I also think it goes for the most money on eBay compared to all of the other 2-packs released over the last couple years.

Hasbro...maybe do some more X-Men 2packs lol?

I wish I bought two. I actually hid one waiting for it to go on sale (there were still other two-packs on the shelf so I wasn't depriving other collectors by hiding the only one left) and it must've stayed hidden for a few months. When it finally went on sale, it was gone LOL. Yea I know, Karma...

My favorite pick of the year has to be the ever lovin blue eyed Thing. Aunt Petunia's favorite nephew Benjamin J Grimm. Now my FF look like the real McCoy! Now if they will make a good Super Skrull for me to collect, I can pose the Thing like its clobberin time. Yes sir, this figure has to be the pride and joy of Yancy street!

thumbnailthing.jpg

So many figres to choose from, among my most liked figures not counting the BAF's or re-releases, are (in that order): Cable, Elektra, Bishop, Mysterio, Omega Red and Silver Surfer. 

But my top 3 have to be Tiger Stripe Wolverine, The Thing and 90's Deadpool

12 hours ago, silverback said:

My favorite pick of the year has to be the ever lovin blue eyed Thing. Aunt Petunia's favorite nephew Benjamin J Grimm. Now my FF look like the real McCoy! Now if they will make a good Super Skrull for me to collect, I can pose the Thing like its clobberin time. Yes sir, this figure has to be the pride and joy of Yancy street!

thumbnailthing.jpg

Ohhh yeah the Thing is an awesome figure. That's my pick for favorite ML for 2018.

Can't wait for a good Super Skrull figure. I hope they use a larger body with the butterfly joints similar to Omega Red's. Definetely with some interchangeable arms or parts.

We also need a new Dr. Doom.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2018 at 9:24 PM, JHS said:

Mysterio and The Thing are a tie for me. Both came out of the package better than I thought they would. 

Crossbones is a close second. I ended up getting the 2 pack even though I didn’t need another Captain because I thought he came out great. 

That Crossbones, aside from the fact that it was a few years later than it shoulda been, was better than expected. If I had a nickel for every time I've seen that thing swapped out with another figure at the store.....well, I'd have about $1.15 (I really shoulda upped it to $5), but that's beside the point. I know it's one of Hasbro's tried and true methods of getting the consumer to pay premium price for what amounts to little more than 1 new figure and some alternate paint apps, but that's the danger of packing one figure everyone wants with another figure everyone has. Swappers are a huge problem, but Hasbro isn't helping in the matter either.

The same issue seems to be with both the Thor/Sif (tho, not so much) and especially the Ant-Man/Yellowjacket packs as well.

On 12/19/2018 at 5:12 AM, americamgl said:

Ohhh yeah the Thing is an awesome figure. That's my pick for favorite ML for 2018.

Can't wait for a good Super Skrull figure. I hope they use a larger body with the butterfly joints similar to Omega Red's. Definetely with some interchangeable arms or parts.

We also need a new Dr. Doom.

We're kinda getting him. Infamous Iron Man style.

• 1 year later...