Marvel Legends Vintage 6" Black Panther Figure Video Review & Image Gallery

JayC

This is a cool figure if you need classic Black Panther because you don’t have a previous one. I’m fine with the two Walmart exclusive ones. I would only grab this one if you like the look of that vibranium one over the look of the gray striped glove and boot one or rocket raccoon baf wave one and you want it to be all black instead of the vibranium pink.  I actually the blue shimmery shade they mixed up in there for some highlight effect though.  And the different colored energy effects are cool. 

11 minutes ago, Hogun said:

If this was a repaint of last year's Wal-Mart exclusive, I would have picked it up. As much as I criticize Hasbro for overusing the Buckycap mold, I do love it on a Black Panther figure.

It is a repaint of the Walmart exclusive vibranium one with the pink but not the Walmart exclusive on the Bucky Cap mold. It’s the same mold as Cosmic Spiderman and Prowler. 

7 hours ago, JKenbok said:

This is a cool figure if you need classic Black Panther because you don’t have a previous one. I’m fine with the two Walmart exclusive ones. I would only grab this one if you like the look of that vibranium one over the look of the gray striped glove and boot one or rocket raccoon baf wave one and you want it to be all black instead of the vibranium pink.  I actually the blue shimmery shade they mixed up in there for some highlight effect though.  And the different colored energy effects are cool. 

This is actually the most modern version of BP.

2 minutes ago, tarot said:

This is actually the most modern version of BP.

This Retro one is the more modern looking Black Panther? I honestly haven’t read him much lately but that makes sense because I think of the Rocket Raccoon wave one being his classic look. I just figured if they made this one for the Retro wave they were going for classic BP. 

5 minutes ago, americamgl said:

Nothing beats the Black Panther from Walmart. I think that would have been a better choice or give us another character that we haven't seen yet in his/her classic version.

Yeah the Walmart exclusive with the cape and spear is my favorite version for sure. I think that should’ve been the one to be a retro too but seeing that we already have him it would’ve been nice to get another character. But, he’s in demand by the masses right now

So I went to Gamestop to pick up my pre-ordered Spider-man and they had the retro wave 2. The Black Panther did look a lot cooler than I had anticipated. The blue paint they put in there looks awesome and the effects that come with him look really cool with the paint they used. 

Yeah the colors on this one are great! Much better than its Walmart counterpart. Plus the new hands they gave it makes it look more Black Panthery I just kinda wish they would have gave him a different head since he is in a vintage wave. That head design for panther isn’t really my favorite anyway, but it does still look cool. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, Gmen4ever said:

Hasbro was counting on the majority of the fanbase not to know this was a more modern version most likely. I was hoping it woulda been the classic Walmart version with  a new head sculpt with open mouth mask. 

Black Panther open mask.jpg

They should do a version from his first appearance with the cape....

RCO017_1468851242.jpg

37 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

RCO017_1468851242.jpg

I would have loved the caped version. This suit was in one of the better Panther limited series back when I was a kid collecting comics.. the nostalgia is strong with this one..

the other open mouth mask would be nice for costume completists..

before my time as a comic collector but I read in TPBs that Panther actually hid the fact that he was a black guy in many early appearances.. can’t remember why but there was a storyline reason.. strange times

40 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

RCO017_1468851242.jpg

whoa bumping from the past, I too also really would love to see this first appearance look for BP, I do really like this retro figure with its interesting highlights but it indeed is not his classic look, the mask is really the throw off, this first appearance look would be quite easy to give us as well. We need a comic inspired Black Panther wave (pay some love to Chadwick) and get us some characters from comic BP to tangle with like Killmonger, Man Ape BAF, Achebe, White Wolf, Malice, K'Ruel, Nightshade,and King Cadaver (cause hes cool looking)

9 hours ago, McHogan said:

before my time as a comic collector but I read in TPBs that Panther actually hid the fact that he was a black guy in many early appearances.. can’t remember why but there was a storyline reason.. strange times

In his very first appearance, he stalks and defeats the Fantastic Four, to test their worthiness. He invites them to his kingdom and at no time is there any doubt he's the king of Wakanda, or that he's black, nor does he hide who he is. Even before he removes his mask at the end of their battle, the F4 know he's the chieftain of an African nation. When he first meets the Avengers he's accused of killing them, and at the police station he has his mask off and tells them he's the king of Wakanda (cops are worried about diplomatic immunity but can't find Wakanda on any map). There is one panel, in a later Avengers issue, where he and his fellow Avengers are basically hanging out in Avengers Mansion, and some detectives come by. All the Avengers with secret IDs put their masks on, and T'Challa basically says to himself he wants the Black Panther to be seen by his deeds, not the fact that he's African royalty. Maybe that's what you're talking about, but if so it didn't last more than an issue or two and considering the fact that he was already known as a black man, didn't make a lot of sense.

There was a time when he created a separate id as an American school teacher (Luke Charles), but he didnt hide his skin color. 

Doubt Hasbro has any plans to do a Coal Tiger....

RCO003_1468851242.jpg

blackpanther018.jpg

3 hours ago, leokearon said:

I would love to see an update of the Toy Biz early 00's Pather with the gold trim

So far best option for that is first Killmonger figure. Imo Black Panther needs all new comics figure that is more articulated, Killmonger in Panther or Jaguar costume  proved Hasbro can do an amazing Black Panther figure if they really want to, however that Killmonger fig somehow was better than both Movie Black Panthers.

15 hours ago, McHogan said:

I'm pretty sure you're mixing Black Panther up with the version of Golden Age hero, Black Marvel that was featured in the "Six Forgotten Warriors" story-arc from Spider-Man the Animated Series. In the comics, Black Marvel was Dan Lyons, a white guy, but on the show, for reasons, the characters identity was changed so that he was original character Omar Mosby, a black guy and Dan Lyons driver. Part of the back story was Mosby pretended to be Lyons while in costume. Yes, his secret identity had a secret identity. The more you thought about it, the less sense it made, but it was still a pretty cool story-line.

The claim that they hid his ethnicity was in response to the covers. Kirby drew T'Challa's mask with an exposed mouth but the inker and colorist covered it up. It was never confirmed but the speculation was that distributors in the South wouldn't order the book if they saw a black superhero on the cover. This wasn't a case with the interior because obviously they weren't actually reading the inside of the books.

pantherkirby.jpg

Brian Cronin went into it here.

https://www.cbr.com/black-panther-cowl-costume/

1 hour ago, mako said:

I'm pretty sure you're mixing Black Panther up with the version of Golden Age hero, Black Marvel that was featured in the "Six Forgotten Warriors" story-arc from Spider-Man the Animated Series. In the comics, Black Marvel was Dan Lyons, a white guy, but on the show, for reasons, the characters identity was changed so that he was original character Omar Mosby, a black guy and Dan Lyons driver. Part of the back story was Mosby pretended to be Lyons while in costume. Yes, his secret identity had a secret identity. The more you thought about it, the less sense it made, but it was still a pretty cool story-line.

No, I had not heard of the Black Marvel story until you wrote your response.

after yourself and Atlantis responded I checked my EpicCollection. In Avengers #74 Panther is captured by the Sons of The Serpent. Their plan is to reveal that Panther is a black guy to destabilize race relations in America. A direct quote from T’Challa : “ The Serpents want to cause a civil war.. to set black against white! And what better way to reveal that the Panther..who is also an Avenger.. is both black and a marauder”

so he must have been hiding his identity for some reason other than a one off story. 

And in a real Scooby Doo moment the Serpents unmask a fake Panther who is black but isn’t Tchalla, Who later in this issue gets unmasked again by the real Panther to reveal a white guy under a black guy mask under a Panther mask... as I said strange times haha

I have no real understanding of that quote without reading a few issues before to get some perspective. As others have said before Panther wasnt  hiding his identity from fellow heroes.. as both the Avengers and FF are in Wakanda and hanging out unmasked.. must have been an arc that reflected the times.. but again I didn’t have the time to reread a years worth of comics to get the full story..that quote just gives me reason to believe he was hiding his identity as a black guyfrom the general public