Biggest surprise--almost skipped, but love this figure!

fleskz

I can only get so much from the pics and videos online--even Shartimus Prime, who does such an amazing job at reviews, can't replace the experience of holding or owning a figure. I am lucky to live in Chicago, where several world class toy stores (Quake especially) allow me to hold and test out loose Marvel Legends, Amazing Yamaguchi, etc. before putting up the cash--even the most rare, from BAF Toy Biz Sentinel and Black variant Apocalypse, to every new figure that exists. with this privilege, I've checked out figures that I had either planned on skipping, or thought about picking up, but wasn't too excited about. And sometimes, I find out I was wrong! Sometimes, what failed to turn me on digitally, becomes my new favorite and I can't stop looking at, holding, and posing it! What are your biggest surprises? What inspired me to ask is the latest ML Tiger Stripe Wolverine and Boxers deadpool. 

The deadpool doesn't have any particularly ground breaking sculpts or pain apps or accessories, etc... and There have been SO MANY deadpools in the past 2 years, It was hard for me to get super excited about any specific one. But what makes deadpool (the character) so special? He's not the strongest, or smartest, or fastest, or most powerful--but he IS the most fun! and everything is possible with him, including fighting epic historical battles in silly boxer shorts, pink slippers and one dirty sock! This figure is SOOOO unique and out of place, I cannot imagine my collection anymore without it. Even the red paint, which I originally saw as too neon/loud, looks so damn brilliant in person, and continues to make him stand out. The exposed muscle tissue under melted skin IMG_5014.thumb.JPG.e125aee21188a40e139cddf1cea14667.JPGand

half mask add to his over-the-top fun factor. The guns are above average and I know the holster does not come with a gun, but I have so many left over guns to put in there, I couldn't care less. I'm sure we can all dream of ways to improve ANY figure ever made, but for $20 AND a superb Sauron body AND Head!?!? this is a Must!

IMG_5010.JPG

Tied with that for me is 2018 Tiger Stripe Wolverine Marvel Legends. I love Wolverine so much, But I already have/had so many, again, it was hard for me to get too excited about a figure I have so many of, didn't come with any accessories (I don't count the hands cause if you take the claws off, they are exactly the same), and, though I grew up watching (and Loving) the 90's cartoon, The yellow always looked silly and clownish to me, even back then. But once again, having it in hand changed all of that! The sculpt is as perfect as we can realistically hope for, the articulation and balance are perfect (even with those shoulder pads), And the precise shade of golden yellow, I don't know why, but looks 10 times better and brilliant and regal than it seemed on my screen. Sure, I wish the mask wings spread a bit more out than back, and having open hands, gun holding hands, or an unmasked head would have improved it. But beyond what I've been able to articulate in words, there is just a certain je ne sais quoi, That makes this my new definitive wolverine. I just can't stop staring at it and posing it!

What about you? Which figure were you going to skip, but is now one of you favorites? 

*Honorable mention: Sauron, Walgreens Magik, marvel first 10 crossbonesIMG_5016.thumb.JPG.f9c62a606e7eb8d6d92cc75fb0a540c2.JPG

IMG_5017.JPG

For me the biggest surprise of the year was definitely the MCU Wasp. Similar to your experience I really couldn't get all that excited till I held it. Not only is it the best MCU figure of the wave, it's the best one to date.  I challenge anyone to find any other MCU based figure with a more spot on face sculpt, even in this day of facial scan technology. It can't be done. Don't believe me, check it out for yourselves.

23 hours ago, monron999 said:

For me the biggest surprise of the year was definitely the MCU Wasp. Similar to your experience I really couldn't get all that excited till I held it. Not only is it the best MCU figure of the wave, it's the best one to date.  I challenge anyone to find any other MCU based figure with a more spot on face sculpt, even in this day of facial scan technology. It can't be done. Don't believe me, check it out for yourselves.

Nice! good to hear, I actually did skip the wasp--cause I already had CUll and haven't seen the movie yet. But since you mentioned it, I'll give her a chance.

Cool topic! My surprise would be Angela. I remember the character well from her old Spawn days. (I collected and enjoyed her Image mini-series). I had stopped actively collecting comics nearly 20 years ago though, so I had no idea about all the beef that went down over the character between McFarlane and Neil Gaiman. I also didn't know that McFarlane killed her off, and that Gaiman won the rights and sold her to Marvel either (the things you miss out on, lol). So yeah, imagine my sheer surprise when I first saw the figure revealed in SDCC pics as a Marvel Legends figure, Lol! 

I still wasn't going to pick the character up because I'm more into classic characters in their classic outfits, but man am I glad I went for it anyway. While I find the whole 'long lost, more powerful older-sister' to Thor back story a bit much, the figure is sensational! She just has so much presence on the shelf! I love the posability of her hands, particularly the left hand being able to point her sword forward (every sword wielding ML should have this joint). I love the figure's great height too, and I get such a kick out of posing and displaying her. Easily one of my most favourite figures ever!

My second surprise would be the Marvel Now Iron Man. Like I said, I'm mainly into classic renditions of characters and was going to pass on this. However, I got it on a whim one day, and thank heavens! It looked cool in photos, sure, but in person WOW! I love the techy anime look to the armor. Actually it reminds me a bit of Space Sheriff Gavan, which I loved when I was a kid. The bonus repulsor hands are awesome too! Such a fun figure!

3 hours ago, Air-Walker said:

Cool topic! My surprise would be Angela. I remember the character well from her old Spawn days. (I collected and enjoyed her Image mini-series). I had stopped actively collecting comics nearly 20 years ago though, so I had no idea about all the beef that went down over the character between McFarlane and Neil Gaiman. I also didn't know that McFarlane killed her off, and that Gaiman won the rights and sold her to Marvel either (the things you miss out on, lol). So yeah, imagine my sheer surprise when I first saw the figure revealed in SDCC pics as a Marvel Legends figure, Lol! 

I still wasn't going to pick the character up because I'm more into classic characters in their classic outfits, but man am I glad I went for it anyway. While I find the whole 'long lost, more powerful older-sister' to Thor back story a bit much, the figure is sensational! She just has so much presence on the shelf! I love the posability of her hands, particularly the left hand being able to point her sword forward (every sword wielding ML should have this joint). I love the figure's great height too, and I get such a kick out of posing and displaying her. Easily one of my most favourite figures ever!

My second surprise would be the Marvel Now Iron Man. Like I said, I'm mainly into classic renditions of characters and was going to pass on this. However, I got it on a whim one day, and thank heavens! It looked cool in photos, sure, but in person WOW! I love the techy anime look to the armor. Actually it reminds me a bit of Space Sheriff Gavan, which I loved when I was a kid. The bonus repulsor hands are awesome too! Such a fun figure!

Yeah that would be a surprise! Personally, Her outfit is a little over the top for me--I tend to go for semi realistic figures, but I'll definitely give her a second look. I didn't read the comics, so maybe that's why I'm not so excited for the figure. I Do have that iron man tho--Had to make that Hulk Buster!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 10:21 AM, monron999 said:

Funny thing is that it seems TRU Canada might have ordered solid cases of Ant-Man and the Wasp cause those seem to be really plentiful at all the stores I see, and unless they are each packed 3 or 4 per case, it doesn't make sense how many they have to not have been ordered in solid cases.  I really like both Ant-Man and Wasp.  However, I wish they made an attachment to make it look like the helmet is folded behind the neck like in the movie though.  It is a really nice figure though and I collect MCU so it was perfect for me.

For me it's Black Panther both the one from the MCU first wave and the Walmart exclusive. I would see the figures everywhere but never had it in my mind to pick any up, especially with the MCU's infamous man boobs lol. One day though I was in my local comic book store and decided oh what the heck and picked him up. Im glad I did I've been posing him around ever since. He was one of the first figures I used when I started doing stop motion. Two weeks later I picked up the Walmart exclusive Black Panther. I love the comic look of him and the energy effects he comes with. Plan on using him in some up coming stop motion once I get some free time.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:55 PM, nighthawk said:

Funny thing is that it seems TRU Canada might have ordered solid cases of Ant-Man and the Wasp cause those seem to be really plentiful at all the stores I see, and unless they are each packed 3 or 4 per case, it doesn't make sense how many they have to not have been ordered in solid cases.  I really like both Ant-Man and Wasp.  However, I wish they made an attachment to make it look like the helmet is folded behind the neck like in the movie though.  It is a really nice figure though and I collect MCU so it was perfect for me.

Ya, they are both littering the shelves where I'm at too. Be that as it may, it's still a damn good figure. Maybe Hasbro knew what they were doing when they decided not to do an entire Ant-Man & the Wasp wave, though I still think those Vintage wave figures along with a comic Ben Foster woulda been a good idea, along with maybe a Yellowjacket update. I'm pretty sure the deciding factor was that there just weren't enough characters in the movie to make as many MCU figures as they usually prefer. Ant-Man, Wasp and Ghost were pretty much it, and though Luis is awesome in the movie i don't really see anyone all that excited about a figure of him. 

In a perfect world they woulda done a Ant-Man & Wasp wave and the line up would have been as follows:

1. Ant-Man (MCU)

2. Wasp (MCU)

3. Ghost (MCU)

4. Ben Foster Goliath

5. Classic Ant-Man

6. Classic Wasp

7. Comic Yellowjacket (male or female)

BAF: Ant-Ton

Woulda loved for a real Goliath BAF, but as we all know, the days of really big BAFs is long past us and any attempt at a giant Goliath or Yellowjacket or Giant Man would probably result in the Civil War Giant Man BAF half-assed effort.