Will we finally get a comic based Falcon and Winter Soldier?

monron999

Now that it's been announced that one of the first three Marvel/MCU based shows that will appear on the Disney streaming service will be one revolving around Falcon & Winter Soldier (SW&Vision and Loki being the other two shows), will we FINALLY see Hasbro give us their comic interpretations of both characters, in a 2 pack or otherwise? I mean really, is it not ridiculous and unfathomable that that they haven't, at the very least, done a Falcon by now. Along with Mar-Vell it's totally baffling as to why Hasbro hasn't tried to improve apon either of the figures from the Toybiz days. To top it off, they both pretty much used the same buck back then. It shouldn't be too hard for Hasbro to outdo the previous versions.

From what I've read about the premise of the show it doesn't really look too promising to me, but I'm keeping an open mind. After all, the only steaming heaps that Marvel has laid out to us so far are Iron Fist and the 2nd season of Luke Cage (don't worry Jessica Jones, your 2nd season is right up there too), but it really was more Netflix fault than Marvel's. These shows seem to have a lot more involvement by Kevin Feige himself, which has served the MCU well to this point. Either way, I do have high hopes for this show more than the other two. I hope they take some cues from the various DC shows based in the Arrowverse and use it to grow the MCU and introduce a lot more characters that Marvel has at their disposal. I'm tired of seeing full seasons based around a single antagonist, especially when they're usually just a cheap clone of the main protagonist. At the very least I hope it lasts long enough to warrant ML comic versions of both characters (we already have MCU versions of both and they're actually done very well), or possibly even a wave or two, but come on guys, it's time to correct the injustice of these figures not having been done to this point.

5 hours ago, mako said:

If it helps, I dropped 25 bucks on a MOC ToyBiz Falcon last week. With my luck, that pretty much guarantees they'll release a better comic version pretty soon.

Lol. I feel your pain, bro. I stopped chasing TB figures a few years ago for that very reason. And for the record, yes it helps.

7 hours ago, SeingtusLupus said:

Interesting points, so would you like to see Classic Falcon or the newer suit, now that he returned to this identity??And didn't Winter Soldier looked identical to his movie counterpart?? At least he did, last I saw him with the Thunderbolts...

And to your points the answers to all the questions are "YES". At this point I really don't care. Do I want a modern or classic Falcon? Yes, either one will suffice at this time, cuz as we know, once Hasbro gets a character into the rotation it gets put on the map and other versions of that character get explored. I'm more partial to the modern "returned" version, but yes a classic will do just fine for now. Doesn't Winter Soldier look pretty much the same in the comics as he does in the MCU? Yes, but much in the same way as Black Widow, and Iron Man, and War Machine, and Black Panther, yet there are clear visable differences (see: the 3.75 figure comparison between the comic and MCU versions of Winter Soldier) and regardless of the similarities it hasn't stopped people wanting comic versions of those other characters either. And Hasbro has delivered on most of them. It's an argument I've heard several times, and from many of my collector friends as well. Many of them just use the MCU version as their default and there's nothing wrong with it, but what's the harm in giving us both options? To me it seems it would be as easy as reusing the Blade buck with some chest holsters and some belts and the left arm from the Giant-Man wave Winter Soldier. Like I said, it's a wonder why it hadn't been done yet. Regardless of how happy most people may or may not be with the MCU WinSol (I just trademarked that), I predict at least 80 percent of collectors would buy a legitimate licensed comic version for their collection.

12 hours ago, tarot said:

I don't think it was ever confirmed that we were getting a Falcon and Winter Soldier TV series, only rumour. Actually I think the only one 100% confirmed was Loki. 

but that been said yeah we definitely need a update to both.

Well according to websites like Moviefone, IMDB and Variety it's already in the works so, if there's any faith that these are reputable websites it looks like it's pretty much a done deal. Latest rumors are that it's supposed to be some kinda buddy cop thing like Leathal Weapon, according to Sebastian Stan. Of course, and again the SJW community is out in full force making their demands about gender & sexuality changes they want, but if they can avoid caving in and rewriting the characters' entire histories and back stories, it's starting to look better and better. Maybe the buddy cop format means they'll be chasing down more than one single "criminal" during the entire duration of the show. Fingers crossed, but I won't hold my breath.

2 hours ago, leokearon said:

I could see the Falcon getting a vintage line figure, given he had one in the past

True, but Hasbro has never done one themselves which means they would need to do a new sculpt for the wings (I can't think of any previous wings that would work) and hopefully a new face sculpt. The one major rule that seems to apply to characters that appear in the Vintage waves is that they can be made 100% out of existing parts, so that would disqualify a Classic (or any) Sam Wison at this point.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:05 PM, monron999 said:

Lol. I feel your pain, bro. I stopped chasing TB figures a few years ago for that very reason. And for the record, yes it helps.

And to your points the answers to all the questions are "YES". At this point I really don't care. Do I want a modern or classic Falcon? Yes, either one will suffice at this time, cuz as we know, once Hasbro gets a character into the rotation it gets put on the map and other versions of that character get explored. I'm more partial to the modern "returned" version, but yes a classic will do just fine for now. Doesn't Winter Soldier look pretty much the same in the comics as he does in the MCU? Yes, but much in the same way as Black Widow, and Iron Man, and War Machine, and Black Panther, yet there are clear visable differences (see: the 3.75 figure comparison between the comic and MCU versions of Winter Soldier) and regardless of the similarities it hasn't stopped people wanting comic versions of those other characters either. And Hasbro has delivered on most of them. It's an argument I've heard several times, and from many of my collector friends as well. Many of them just use the MCU version as their default and there's nothing wrong with it, but what's the harm in giving us both options? To me it seems it would be as easy as reusing the Blade buck with some chest holsters and some belts and the left arm from the Giant-Man wave Winter Soldier. Like I said, it's a wonder why it hadn't been done yet. Regardless of how happy most people may or may not be with the MCU WinSol (I just trademarked that), I predict at least 80 percent of collectors would buy a legitimate licensed comic version for their collection.

As I don't want to be misunderstood, I totally agree with you. It was just a question, that popped into mind. But yeah Comic and Mcu is nothing alike ( For me of course, as I collect comic figures only). I would also love a comic Winter Soldier, along with other Thunderbolts, as I love the teams.

1 hour ago, monron999 said:

True, but Hasbro has never done one themselves which means they would need to do a new sculpt for the wings (I can't think of any previous wings that would work) and hopefully a new face sculpt. The one major rule that seems to apply to characters that appear in the Vintage waves is that they can be made 100% out of existing parts, so that would disqualify a Classic (or any) Sam Wison at this point.

I beg to differ.

Darkhawk 1.jpg

Darkhawk 2.jpg

Falcon. classic version.jpg

49 minutes ago, Gmen4ever said:

I beg to differ.

Darkhawk 1.jpg

Darkhawk 2.jpg

while that was the first thing that popped into my head, I have to say those wings won't work for Sam. They would need a resculpted version of that. Plus once they do the classic wing they can instantly reuse them for a certain spider-man villain. 

But like @monron999 said and I keep saying, the vintage line it about reusing, repaint and kitbash. NO RESCULPTING!! that's why we will not get a Classic Falcon in that line and we will definitely won't get a Classic Hulk and Thor in that line.

We can get a classic Falcon in an Avengers themed line just like we got classic Black Knight, classic Taskmaster, etc. Doesn't have to just be done in the vintage line. Why are some people fixtated on him just being  in that line?  I put up Darkhawk cuz he has the wings that are closest to Falcs wings. Though you are correct that Falcs wings would need to be sculpted differently & then be utilized for a classic Vulture. There are tons of classic Avengers/Avengers villians that Hasbro has yet to touch & I see no reason they cannot start making them already. I may be the only one on here that wants a classic Wonderman 1st app fig, but I really do! I even want his classic 2nd app version done as well but if forced to choose just one version, then I'd go with the 1st app.

Wonderman.jpg

wondermanvsnamor.jpg

Wonderman 2nd app by JB.jpg

Wonderman classic.jpg

2 minutes ago, Gmen4ever said:

We can get a classic Falcon in an Avengers themed line just like we got classic Black Knight, classic Taskmaster, etc. Doesn't have to just be done in the vintage line. Why are some people fixtated on him just being  in that line?  I put up Darkhawk cuz he has the wings that are closest to Falcs wings. Though you are correct that Falcs wings would need to be sculpted differently & then be utilized for a classic Vulture. There are tons of classic Avengers/Avengers villians that Hasbro has yet to touch & I see no reason they cannot start making them already. I may be the only one on here that wants a classic Wonderman 1st app fig, but I really do! I even want his classic 2nd app version done as well but if forced to choose just one version, then I'd go with the 1st app.

Wonderman.jpg

wondermanvsnamor.jpg

Wonderman 2nd app by JB.jpg

Wonderman classic.jpg

I agree he should be in an Avengers line (or a Falcon and Winter soldier tv wave or a Captain America 4 wave but that is if it happens). 

I think people misunderstand that the Vintage line is for just for Classic figure and not a attempt just to resell previous figure on pretty cards. So I agree with you on that. 

2 hours ago, tarot said:

I agree he should be in an Avengers line (or a Falcon and Winter soldier tv wave or a Captain America 4 wave but that is if it happens). 

I think people misunderstand that the Vintage line is for just for Classic figure and not a attempt just to resell previous figure on pretty cards. So I agree with you on that. 

If the do a Disney+ wave they would be based on their MCU versions. So a standard avengers wave would be the best chance,

I always forget how ugly most of Wonder Man's costumes throughout history have been. Yipes. I can see why ToyBiz and Hasbro stuck to his West Coast look.

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

If the do a Disney+ wave they would be based on their MCU versions. So a standard avengers wave would be the best chance,

And given how slow they've been with getting out figures for the existing TV shows, I wouldn't even count on that.

13 hours ago, watanabefan said:

I always forget how ugly most of Wonder Man's costumes throughout history have been. Yipes. I can see why ToyBiz and Hasbro stuck to his West Coast look.

And given how slow they've been with getting out figures for the existing TV shows, I wouldn't even count on that.

I wish they would do a new version of his energy form

cmx-cu-sash-lg.png%7C0,0,313,480%20160,3

Like I said above, the Netflix shows got a wave, so it is possible that a Disney+ wave could happen

On 11/16/2018 at 6:45 AM, Gmen4ever said:

I beg to differ.

Darkhawk 1.jpg

Darkhawk 2.jpg

I must admit, for a second I also thought the Darkhawk wings might work, but like Tarot says, they're just a bit off. Then again, if they wanna use em to pump out a classic version of Falcon right away and do a modern one sometime in the future, I'm all on board. The point I was making was that regardless of what body mold(s) or combination of parts they use, it still doesn't account for the head sculpt they would need for it. Aside from the wings issue I really can't think of an existing head sculpt that would work for his classic look. And honestly, if they're doing a classic comic Falcon for the first time, I sure don't want some recycled, reused, repainted head sculpt anyway. Now, if you wanna argue that the Sam Cap from the 3 pack will work for his modern look I'll concede, but as far as his classic look he would need a new sculpt which would disqualify him from being in the Vintage line, in particular.

Also, nobody ever said we can only get classic versions of the characters in the Vintage line only. They make plenty of classic characters in the main line still and I'm sure it will continue, and should. But don't expect to see any character in the Vintage line unless the character or the parts that make up the character have been used before. More than a sub line, the Vintage line is a cheap way for Hasbro to capitalize on the perception of new figures without actually doing anything new except maybe in regards to plastic colors & paint application. I really do hate the premise but even I must admit I prefer all the figures in the latest Vintage wave to the previous releases. They are just better. Especially the Scarlet Spider and Black Panther. Hasbro got me again.

16 hours ago, mako said:

I realize that. What I'm saying is, being in a show or movie increases the chance of getting comic OR movie figures. Yes, we got a Netflix wave, but we've also gotten no less than four different versions of comic Daredevil, a Cottonmouth, a '90s Cable, an improved Thanos, etc. That's not coincidence. These comic figures happened because the characters were in mainstream productions.

Of course it increases the chances, but chances are if they do a Disney+ wave, it will more than likely be MCU versions. While a standard Avengers mave will have a better chance of being a comic version.

Also Cottonmouth came out a whole year before the Luke Cage series, so he doesn't count, the other do.

2 hours ago, mako said:

Remember how long it takes to film a TV series. Plus, being on the inside, there's a better than average chance the Has' knew about Cottonmouth being on Cage looong before we did.

That's 100% the case. Any doubters need only look at the Black Dwarf (you can't make me call him Cull Obsidian) BAF. He was designed, produced and released based on original design over a year old and when the movie came out he looked almost nothing like the character in the movie. Even the weapon was different. Hasbro knew so long before anyone else and had gotten so far into production, it was actually easier to redesign the character in the multimillion dollar movie than the toy production. Not that I'm complaining. That movie character has goofy looking skinny legs with Frankenstein feet while the BAF looks a lot more menacing and powerful. It's actually being speculated that Black Dwarf will actually appear in the Captain Marvel in a form more resembling the BAF as in Infinity War he seams to be wearing a belt incorporating Captain Marvel's scarf that he or the Order altogether has taken from her. If that's the case and the character in the movie ends up looking like the BAF then that even accentuates the point that Hasbro had a glimpse much farther into the future than anyone.

Cull-Obsidian-and-Ebony-Maw-in-Avengers-Infinity-War-1.jpg

Marvel-Legends-Cull-Obsidian-Build-A-Figure_clipped_rev_1_86c6dbf8-8e05-4735-b111-a1bac1ca0766.jpg