Should Hasbro retire the Bucky Cap and Hyperion Body molds?

Hogun

19 minutes ago, BludChylde said:

She looks like she should go to the doctors to get her left arm rebroken and set properly.

Even though peeps continue to lambast Hasbro for no double jointed elbows on their females (and with respect to Shartimus Prime), THIS is the reason they haven't done so as yet (I believe the movie Captain Marvel will have DJE's, but we'll see). I'm quite sure when they figure out how to make them look anatomically correct, we'll enter a new nightmare era for Legends, because then we'll have the return of the "redo" nation.

6 hours ago, watanabefan said:

It's a specific pose to show off the joints. It looks fine in other shots.

81Gwpzzwm6L._SX466_.jpg

BLACK-SERIES-6-INCH-JAINA-SOLO__63987.15

Clearly the technology is there.

I had to watch two YouTube videos, because it looks like a single joint elbow. And my understanding is, it is not a double jointed elbow as it is missing a second hinge to give it the "double joint". Granted it is designed in a way that gives it an impressive range over most women's elbow joints. But design wise, other than the design allowing for extra, there is no other difference.

It is definitely a step in the right direction and can clearly be posed so that it can look good. So I do applaud Hasbro for the effort, and like all new design attempts take time to work out the kinks. Just look at the digital face painting.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:46 PM, BludChylde said:

I had to watch two YouTube videos, because it looks like a single joint elbow. And my understanding is, it is not a double jointed elbow as it is missing a second hinge to give it the "double joint". Granted it is designed in a way that gives it an impressive range over most women's elbow joints. But design wise, other than the design allowing for extra, there is no other difference.

It is definitely a step in the right direction and can clearly be posed so that it can look good. So I do applaud Hasbro for the effort, and like all new design attempts take time to work out the kinks. Just look at the digital face painting.

If it happens it happens. Maybe they do it specifically for those figures that need better range of motion. I'm not gonna be on the boat to "redo nation" if it does happen. I like the way the female arm joints look just fine as it is. I've watched the videos as well and they still look wonky and flimsy. Those pics posted are specifically positioned to make them look less so. It's not a true DHJ, it's more of an extended hinge joint and it looks really awkward in a "relaxed" pose. Any pose that has the figure's arm extended past about 100 degrees looks out of place. You'll see it once you get that figure in hand. It's not good and I really don't wanna see it in ML.

I feel like the Bucky Cap mold is the ideal mold for many of the Male Marvel characters, its got the right proportions. Personally I like the feel of that figure mold more that the Hyperion mold so, Hasbro can retire it if they want.

On 11/20/2018 at 1:43 PM, Satam said:

Everything you just said.  Everything.  I was coming in here to say.  But you already said it.

It's a good point, I mean, I want to see improvements in some of the bodies' articulation, but not at the cost of continuity across the line.

If they continue to use the Hyperion torso for characters like Bishop or that Cable with accessories that lay on their cheesy looking pecks, then it's not so bad. But if the chest is bare, it just looks so corny. I want a Tiger Shark remake soooo bad. He was so half-@$$ed. And I'm taking my sweet time but I'm currently in the process of a Sabretooth custom on the Omega Red body. It looks fantastic so far. I wish they would've did this originally.

I don't mind the Bucky Cap mold though. The short feet is my only gripe really.

• 6 months later...

I’m definitely tired of the Bucky Cap buck. Not only is it really common, but the feet are far too small and the sculpting makes the characters look less like they’re wearing costumes and more like they’re covered in body paint. I prefer some of the newer bucks that have creases and fabric sculpted around the body to simulate and detail clothing/uniforms (the 3-pk Magneto buck comes to mind but I don’t recall which exact buck it is). 

As for the Hyperion buck, I’m probably in the minority who doesn’t totally hate it. My biggest gripe is that the thighs are too large, and the knee joint are kind of back further than they should be, so when standing straight up the figures tend to lean forward some, or appear that they are “pushing their chest out”. This is then exacerbated by the fact that the pecks on that buck are HUGE. So, I get the dislike, but overall I think it’s a workable buck. I do think it’s old and that there are better options now (Omega Red buck, for instance). I know the Apocalypse Sabretooth is mostly disliked by collectors but I’m happy with it. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, watanabefan said:

I'd be in favor of phasing out the Hyperion body because I've never liked the proportions. I'm not one of those people who obsessively nitpicks things like height disparity, but the way the chest juts out is just awkward.

Agree. Its not as bad as a Liefeld drawing, but its up there, and clearly looks anatomically incorrect. Also agree on disparity- Vance Astro is a nice figure but he's never been that big (bulky) in the books, Beast is nowhere near that huge, Iron Man extremis is far too skinny to even be a human in that suit, yellow head Torch is also too big, and a great deal of these female body bucks are just too slender for the characters theyre supposed to represent. Storm should be on a scale like the X-Men Rogue figure. They even put Tiger Shark in that Hyperion body. WTF??

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:04 PM, watanabefan said:

Double jointed arms on the women would be a plus as well. I can be done. The Black Series Jaina Solo accomplished it.

image.thumb.png.01c68f50e243394a3521f94570875103.png

Double jointed arms definitely can and have been done. Proxima Midnight, Black Widow Endgame and Rescue all have them and they look fine. Hooray for progress!