Does Hasbro suck at predicting which figures should be packed two-per-case

Hogun

Double packed figure from X-Men wave 3  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which figure do you think is going to be packed two-per-case in the next X-Men wave? Don't follow your heart. Think what Hasbro would pack two-per-case.

• Beast
    • Blink
    • Forge
    • Gambit
    • Jubilee
    • Skullbuster
    • Weapon X Wolverine

It has come to my attention that when it comes to figures that are packed two-per-case, it is usually a hit-or-miss for Hasbro. I've realized that Hasbro just double packs characters who are usually the most popular and doesn't think that maybe some of the lesser well-known but still quite popular characters like Bishop or Cable are the main seller. Which leads to said characters to be short-packed and hard to find and also leading to Hasbro creating entire cases of said character. I got lucky that I was able to reserve the entire second Deadpool wave at my local EB Games to ensure that I get Bishop. But he will be harder for others. The only waves that have hard-to-find-yet-are-still-packed-two-per-case figures are the Thor Ragnarok wave and the Black Panther movie wave with the titular characters. Correct me if I am wrong. I will defend Hasbro though when it comes to the second Avengers Infinity War wave because even I didn't predict Thor to be the most wanted figure of the wave. Let's face it, Hasbro usually sucks at predicting which figures should be packed two-per-case. To prove my point, I put up a poll to see which figure in the upcoming X-Men wave do you think Hasbro is going to double-pack. Just to be clear, this is what Hasbro thinks. Not what you want.

no. no they don't. why? because it's not Hasbro that are making these decisions. it's the stores themselves. They ask for the figure that is double packed to be more readily available. They don't care for characters like beast or gambit. they just want another high seller and big name like Wolverine and Spider-man. hell the only reason doc ock got to be double pack is because everyone know that he is Spidey's most famous villain. 

Fan can whine and moan that figure like Multiple Man aren't double packed but who outside of comic (and the dreadful Last Stand appearance) has heard of Multiple Man? 

However I will say this. if the figure is in high demand AFTER the initial release they will re-release cases for that figure.

6 hours ago, tarot said:

no. no they don't. why? because it's not Hasbro that are making these decisions. it's the stores themselves. They ask for the figure that is double packed to be more readily available. They don't care for characters like beast or gambit. they just want another high seller and big name like Wolverine and Spider-man. hell the only reason doc ock got to be double pack is because everyone know that he is Spidey's most famous villain. 

Fan can whine and moan that figure like Multiple Man aren't double packed but who outside of comic (and the dreadful Last Stand appearance) has heard of Multiple Man? 

However I will say this. if the figure is in high demand AFTER the initial release they will re-release cases for that figure.

Yeah. 90 percent of the questions online about why someone's specific fan favorite was shortpacked or why characters like Iron Man, Spider-Man and Wolverine are always double packed shake out thusly: they're characters that outlets know have built-in exposure and appeal.

Retail outlets are not comic book fans. They see something they think it gonna be popular because of the branding involved and order accordingly. That was pretty much the main reason why when Marvel Legends was relaunched in 2012, there was an increased focus on tying various waves to movie releases and then using that as a way to trojan horse in smaller and lesser known properties. That ain't a coincidence. Nobody at Target or Walmart is chomping at the bit to order a bunch of Swordsman, Stingray, Jack of Hearts and Serpent Squad figures.

No, they don't suck at it. It's just hit or miss and it always will be. Logic says the most recognizable figure in the wave should be in highest demand so, naturally the customer wants more of that product, but that's rarely the case, cuz I see MCU Captain America and Iron Man and Wolverine littering the toy isles almost everywhere I go, but I'll be damned if a Mysterio or Kane SS or Infinity War Thor can be found within a 200 mile radius. It's imperfect science (though I probably coulda told them the FA Deadpool was gonna be a floater), but it is what it is and we just get used to it.

10 minutes ago, Gmen4ever said:

No prob, I'll use my telepathic abilities to know when someone posts a sarcastic comment. Funny, cuz on plenty of other sites I belong to , especially sports forums, many posters use the red font to denote sarcasm. Just laziness here I guess.

dude knock it off. the guy made a joke. you didn't get it. move on.

I think Hasbro has gotten better at choosing the 2-per case figures. Tiger stripe Wolverine and Doc Ock are good examples. Then there are cases were they have no choice but to go with the most popular character like Deadpool instead of Cable and again Deadpool over Omega Red or Bishop. Why Old man Logan was chosen over Cyclops still not sure since OM Logan is not that mainstream.

9 minutes ago, americamgl said:

I think Hasbro has gotten better at choosing the 2-per case figures. Tiger stripe Wolverine and Doc Ock are good examples. Then there are cases were they have no choice but to go with the most popular character like Deadpool instead of Cable and again Deadpool over Omega Red or Bishop. Why Old man Logan was chosen over Cyclops still not sure since OM Logan is not that mainstream.

he had no baf part so.... less plastic less cost.

29 minutes ago, americamgl said:

He was the marquee character, plain & simple. Sure, he was a lesser known version of Wolverine/Logan than the general public was used to, but the people in charge were willing to gamble that the casual fan was smart enough to make the correlation between the two based on the general ideal, and most notably, the fact that he had 3 claws. After all, the Fox Cenematic version of Wolverine, as awesome as he is(was), only resembled the comic book version in the general details, and he never wore a costume even remotely resembling the comics (unless you count Ultimate Wolverine, but he wasn't even the same guy), yet the general public was able to make the association. Add to the fact the "Logan" movie had been released shortly around the same time and it's really not that hard to make the connection. Take your profile picture, for instance. To us fans, we all know that's OML, from the less mainstream storyline that your everyday, average Joe knows nothing about, but off the simple fact that he looks mean and has 3 metal claws, I doubt anyone would have a problem understanding he is indeed Wolverine (or at least a version of him).

The entire "no BAF" thing is just a symptom of the fact that it was a larger wave. In the case that it's not necessary to include a BAF with a figure, which figure gets that detail? Logic says you do it with the most popular character (or what is perceived as the most popular character), which is assumed to be the hot seller irregardless of the BAF or not. Sometimes we get lucky and get some extra accessories, as was the case with the first Deadpool, but sometimes its just Old Man Logan and his surly demeanor.

I understood the double-packed X-men Deadpool. I guess I also understood why the Sauron torso wasn't part of the double-packed figure (less plastic). But why Lady Deadpool? And not "Wolverine." Or really, if I had the choice: Bishop.

It hasn't been hard for me to find any figures from this wave but I can understand the frustration of not finding Bishop. Lady Deadpool (and X-men Deadpool) has been pegwarming.

12 minutes ago, enzosaurusrex said:

I understood the double-packed X-men Deadpool. I guess I also understood why the Sauron torso wasn't part of the double-packed figure (less plastic). But why Lady Deadpool? And not "Wolverine." Or really, if I had the choice: Bishop.

It hasn't been hard for me to find any figures from this wave but I can understand the frustration of not finding Bishop. Lady Deadpool (and X-men Deadpool) has been pegwarming.

you just answer your own question. Her name is Lady "Deadpool". She is basically the female version of the main person in that wave, which was deadpool.

As for Bishop or Wolverine, one is not that well known outside comics and the other  just got a figure in the previous wave. 

again it goes back to the fact that stores want big name character. Not b-list (at best) characters like Bishop.