Hasbro's Marvel License After 2020?

tarot

As for Mattel picking up either license (SW or ML), I too would stop collecting cold turkey. I still have nightmares about those awful Ghostbusters figures they made. What a mess. With the quality upticks in both SW and ML just over the past year, it would be a crying shame for Hasbro to lose either license now, regardless of who picked them up.

2 hours ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

As for Mattel picking up either license (SW or ML), I too would stop collecting cold turkey. I still have nightmares about those awful Ghostbusters figures they made. What a mess. With the quality upticks in both SW and ML just over the past year, it would be a crying shame for Hasbro to lose either license now, regardless of who picked them up.

Yeah, I was super excited about the Ghostbusters figs when they hit Mattycollector and grabbed a Ray Stantz when they went up.  I look at him not hanging on my wall and he looks... rough.  The MOTUC and the Watchmen figures are really the ones that held up from Marty Collector, but everything after they folded has been subpar at best.  I got the Lobo wave to build Lobo, but even then he just doesn’t scratch that itch for the Main Man.

16 hours ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

They aren't terrible, the figures are just sort of bland with a lot of re-used parts.  They definitely have gotten better since I quit collecting them about two years ago though.  

Not to wander too off topic, but Yeah definitely a lot of re-use, however they seem to sell and it appears that they are constantly coming out with new figs, or at least putting new stock out on the pegs. Saw a nice looking Nia Jax figure today that came with 2 alternate heads... i have no idea who Nia Jax is, but it was a pretty good looking figure (especially for under $16, which is apparently the normal price for WWE elite figures now.

Just now, bashpics99 said:

Not to wander too off topic, but Yeah definitely a lot of re-use, however they seem to sell and it appears that they are constantly coming out with new figs, or at least putting new stock out on the pegs. Saw a nice looking Nia Jax figure today that came with 2 alternate heads... i have no idea who Nia Jax is, but it was a pretty good looking figure (especially for under $16, which is apparently the normal price for WWE elite figures now.

It depends, the elites still sit at the $19.99 price point and the basics right around $9.99.  But yes, they are including a lot more accessories including alternate heads, hands, and even chase pieces in the line now.  not to mention that they are starting to use some pretty great face scanning tech. I just think when it comes to comic book or "imaginary" properties, the new Mattel figures just don't look great.  But to your point, the "realistic" figures are improving drastically.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hasbro has been producing figures at a feverish rate so much so it would lead you to believe they are finished after 2020.  Hasbro is almost at the point where they have hit all the sweet spot for Marvel Characters.  At this rate the X-Men and most major X-Men related characters could be completed by end of 2019.  They are wearing that new wolverine buck out.  Deadpool is overflowing with every variation and derivative possible.  Spider-man to Spider-woman to Spider-Ham is covered.  There are a few more teams like Alpha Flight they could focus on.  Other than a few characters they could remake from the toybiz era and early Hasbro era and some abscure characters, I see mainly the movie and live action based characters as the way to keep the wave going since Disney looks to release about 3 movies a year and have several TV/ streaming series.  Maybe produce some Fox movie bases X-Men and Deadpool characters. Negasonic Teenage Warhead and Colossus would be a great two-pack.  Or some MCU/ Netflix characters they missed.  Netflix Wilson Fisk?  Yes, please.  Iron-Man 1 Iron Monger?  Sure.  But how much further can they go until it's only appealing to the hard core collectors that must have that Beyonder or One Above All figure.  Toybiz and Hasbro has served my appetite well but I must say I'm almost full.  Key word being almost.   Hey Hasbo what's for desert?

The folks that have been collecting for years might be near "full" but that's not really something Hasbro or Disney/Marvel are going to take into their calculations because there are new potential buyers joining the market every year, and THEY don't yet have a million Iron Men, Spider-Men, Wolverines, et al....  On the comic front you constantly get new costume variations for flagship characters and improvements upon characters that were released in the more distant past (as well as continuing to fill out the B/C listers from the comics, and especially the villains roster).

The movies are going to keep chugging along, too.  That's a steady stream of new product that both collectors and "newbies" will buy up. 

Basically what I'm saying is:  Individual collectors feeling like they're "done" is not something Disney or Hasbro are going to care about, because their job is to market and sell this stuff forever.  They're not going to throw their hands up and say "Oh, some folks on the internet said we've made everyone they want in good-enough versions, I guess we should stop selling Marvel figures forever now."

That said, slowing down a bit on the sheer volume might not be a terrible idea.

Even very recent collectors (myself included) could be forgiven having Deadpool or Wolverine fatigue. (: Wade has had six renditions since 2016 and Logan will have had 10 to 12, depending on how you're counting, between then and the end of this year. And that's not even counting Lady Deadpool or Laura as Wolverine.

I am surprised, but I don’t have Wolverine fatigue yet myself.  

I was never a Toy Biz Legends collector... I picked up a few here and there but at the time was really only collecting X-Men figures.  

I started expanding into the full Marvel Universe with the 3 3/4” Universe line, and was buying 90% of each wave.  I started picking up the 6” Legends just for the MCU figures, but then dove in headfirst when the Infinite series started with Odin.  

All that set up is to say... I don’t have the full Toy Biz roster of Wolverines.  With the X-Men waves that have come out starting with Juggernaut I think the Wolverine per wave have been intelligent choices.  I won’t add the upcoming X-Men retro Patch to my collection because it doesn’t interest me, but I know others are excited for it.

If X-Force Wolverine really is the final slot for the upcoming X-Force wave then I’m ok with it if it matches the colors of the X-Force Deadpool and X-23.

It would also be a great way to fill the Wolverine slot in another X-Men or Retro wave to do the blue and yellow X-Men uniform.  If they included alternate hands without the claw ports it would then be an awesome idea to include an alternate head with each figure in the wave - Banshee, Morph, evil Morph, Joseph, etc.

So, short story long, I don’t have Wolverine fatigue yet.  

I don't really either, and he has a lot of great looks, but he will have gotten 10+ recent figures by the end of the year, so I certainly get it if anyone is burned out on him. I definitely would've preferred Old Man Logan, Weapon X, street clothes Wolverine, and cowboy hat Wolverine's slots gone to other characters, but I wasn't disappointed to see any of the other Logan choices when they were announced... even if some of the headsculpts are a bit, ahem, underwhelming. After the perfect cowled head on Juggernaut-wave Wolvie, I was really bummed with the profile on the version from the Apocalypse wave.

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

I have MCU Carol fatigue 

Heh.  I still want that Binary figure but otherwise agree, i'm still seeing both Sentry wave Carols on pegs everywhere along with the rest of that wave.  although i'm not sure if whether that's due to stores overstocking (relative to other waves) or lack of demand ... probably a combo of both i suppose.  

On the plus side, i haven't seen a ton of pegwarming figures from BP wave 2 or Kingpin wave . Probably too soon to judge on Endgame wave 1 but one of my local WM's has had all the comic characters in stock for a few weeks now.

I'm not sure retailers bought much of BP wave 2, but it's mostly very inexpensive on Amazon (Only the Dora Milaje is above MSRP, and even then only by a couple bucks, likely because she's a troop builder).

Captain Marvel wave has dropped like a rock, too.

As for Wolverine fatigue, I think it's mitigated by the fact that we didn't get any 6" scale Wolverines outside of the occasional hard-to-find exclusive for a few years.  And they've been pretty good about getting the "most important" versions of him out there (barring Old Man Logan and "Cowboy Logan", but ehn....)  I will agree that with the X-Force variant, they'll be running thin on Wolverines that have "semi-universal appeal" though.  Blue-and-Gold costume Logan might be the last that I'd think has enough nostalgia value to be pretty well-liked, but after that?  Ehn...some of his modern costumes are fine, but most folks are going to be happy with the OG brown costume and tiger-stripe costume and not need the half-dozen or so variations on those two themes that he's had in more recent years.

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:33 AM, Socialitekidd said:

Man, I don't even want to think about life with Hasbro making Marvel Legends figures. Devastation would be an understatement. I just got into the whole collecting ML trend for almost two years now. I have to admit that Hasbro does create some pretty cool figures. A few hit-or-miss figs but overall a pretty solid trend to be apart of. 

I really hope it all turns out well. Years ago when DC was doing the DCU Classics, they were going strong but never finished out a number of notable figures. If you compare Hasbro today to what the 4HorseMen were putting out then, Hasbro wins hands down. Still, it was a wake-up call for collectors, that you cant always bet on a company finishing the figures.  I'm holding out hope for a completed Inhumans, Guardians of the Galaxy, Alpha Flight & Starjammers sets!

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:27 AM, leokearon said:

I have MCU Carol fatigue 

Really?? She's got nothing on Wolverine and Deadpool. Its like they feel a Wolverine MUST be included or something. Id love to see the comic version of original Ms Marvel, and also a Dave Cockrum Binary!

6 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Really?? She's got nothing on Wolverine and Deadpool. Its like they feel a Wolverine MUST be included or something. Id love to see the comic version of original Ms Marvel, and also a Dave Cockrum Binary!

Yeah, but MCU Carol had four figures in about a month and they were basically the same figure with some different bits.

4 minutes ago, leokearon said:

Yeah, but MCU Carol had four figures in about a month and they were basically the same figure with some different bits.

yeah I can see that. Must be why I only got one of the MCU Captain Marvel figures. The best of the line up was Genis-Vell. Hope to see a comic Captain Marvel wave with original Mar-Vell, plus first appearance Mar-Vell, plus Genis (all from the toybiz line). Add original Ms. Marvel and Binary, and you got a winner.

I'm sure Hasbro will be fine on the Marvel front.  They've been doing well with that license, so I don't see Disney pulling it unless Hasbro doesn't even bother to try to renew it (which seems highly unlikely).

I'd be a lot more concerned about Hasbro's Star Wars license.  But even then it seems unlikely they'll lose it.  I don't see Disney risking that property with a significantly smaller company, which means Mattel is practically the only other competitor and well...Mattel ain't exactly known for their boys action figure lines for a reason, and Jurassic World/Park just bombed if the massive amount of stock on clearance around my area is any indication.

As we all know, the upcoming Captain America "vintage" wave will include:

• Cap with different heads, sculpted chain mail
  • Falcon (classic red/white outfit with wings) & articulated Red Wing
  • Nomad (original 70s version)
  • Moonstone (original)
  • Viper/Madame Hydra
  • Deadly Nightshade (didn't see THAT one coming, didja)

BAF= either Dr Faustus (make some more use of that Kingpin mold) OR the Super Adaptoid!

Ok....I can dream....

It’s an interesting thought, but I severely doubt it. With how much money, recognition, and popularity they’re getting from Marvel Legends and Star Wars I seriously doubt it. I also desperately want them to renew the license for Marvel especially since that’s where most of my figures come from, as I’m sure many others would agree.

On 6/17/2019 at 1:19 PM, Jmacq1 said:

I'd be a lot more concerned about Hasbro's Star Wars license.

I'm just not sure what they're doing with the Black Series. Those figures are mostly great, but there's so much lost opportunity and so many dubious choices. I get that they need to dedicate spots to characters from the new movies, but it seems like there are a lot of classic characters still missing and a lot of weird filler characters slipping in. I'm sure Dr. Aphra is a great comic, but where are the Ewoks?

47 minutes ago, Benn said:

I'm just not sure what they're doing with the Black Series. Those figures are mostly great, but there's so much lost opportunity and so many dubious choices. I get that they need to dedicate spots to characters from the new movies, but it seems like there are a lot of classic characters still missing and a lot of weird filler characters slipping in. I'm sure Dr. Aphra is a great comic, but where are the Ewoks?

Ehn.  I think a lot of people would prefer buying a Dr. Aphra to Ewoks (and particularly Triple Zero and BeeTee, who even if you don't know who they are look cool in a "Hey!  It's evil C-3P0 and R2-D2!" sort of way).  Also it's probably better to get a Dr. Aphra (and friends) out now while the character is still relatively popular than to wait 10 or 15 years until they've gotten all the major movie characters done but people have forgotten about that old comic.  But yeah, given that Hasbro releases way less Black Series stuff over a given year than they do Marvel does it's gonna take the Black Series a loooong time to catch up either way. 

But that slow-walk might be by design.  If they cranked out Black Series like they do Marvel Legends most of the "must haves" would be done in two or three years and then the black series would be reduced to what the 3.75" series has been for years:  Super-obscure background characters that only the hardest of hardcores care about and incrementally-different re-releases of the same characters over and over again, with the occasional EU figure sprinkled in.  Keeping it down to a slow and steady stream rather than a firehose might be their plan to keep the line running longer.  To say nothing of the fact that tooling costs are a big deal and a lot of characters they have yet to do require significant new tooling.