Sign in to follow this  
tarot

Hasbro's Marvel License After 2020?

As people may not know, Hasbro's license for Marvel (and Star Wars) is supposed to be up for 2020. While I have no doubt that they will renew the license before then, is anyone else getting worried that they have not announce the renewal yet. I mean the last time they renew the license was 2 year before they were supposed to be up. 

There is also the fact that they have been buying many licenses like Power Rangers and Overide, indicating that they are prepare for they eventual loss of the License. There is also the fact that Mattel's president has indicated that he is looking to purchase those license (hahahahaha, fat chance Mattel. Disney already refuse to renew their old licence with you don't think they will work with you again). 

Am I the only one worried? Do you think 2019 might be the last year of Marvel Legends?

1 hour ago, tarot said:

As people may not know, Hasbro's license for Marvel (and Star Wars) is supposed to be up for 2020. While I have no doubt that they will renew the license before then, is anyone else getting worried that they have not announce the renewal yet. I mean the last time they renew the license was 2 year before they were supposed to be up. 

There is also the fact that they have been buying many licenses like Power Rangers and Overide, indicating that they are prepare for they eventual loss of the License. There is also the fact that Mattel's president has indicated that he is looking to purchase those license (hahahahaha, fat chance Mattel. Disney already refuse to renew their old licence with you don't think they will work with you again). 

Am I the only one worried? Do you think 2019 might be the last year of Marvel Legends?

While yes, I do find that a bit concerning that they haven't renewed yet and it's only a year away, I think Hasbro would be crazy not to renew the licences.  The Marvel license alone has to be extremely lucrative, and then you add in the Star Wars license, probably the two biggest pop-culture/collectibles licenses out there.  I am a little worried, but thinking on it, I'd say it's pretty safe Hasbro will renew them.   

I'm confident they'll renew it. They're hitting all the right spots, even if it's getting increasingly hard to financially keep up with all the releases. If they're getting them out there, they must be selling; and selling that amount of figures, a lot of which are blink and you'll miss them, must be good business. That's only speaking for the ML 6", there's also the basic lines and the props. I'd be more worried about Star Wars' unsteady distribution (where I'm at we haven't gotten any new figures since TLJ), but they seem to be doing ok everywhere else.

I have no doubt that they'll renew the license.

The Marvel and Star Wars products are one the most lucrative in Hasbro's portfolio.

I seriously doubt they will give up/lose the two most successful licences and as long as Disney are happy, Hasbro will keep the licences. Of course it doesn't help that Mattel are eying at least Star Wars after what happened between them and DC

Sure, their license expires in 2020, but if it hadn't been for what's going down at Mattel, I doubt anybody would even have questioned it.

Hasbro and Marvel have shared a long and successful relationship (the main benefit of a company that actually knows what they're doing). With industry numbers being down across the board, I doubt either side is willing to take the risk of cashing in that golden ticket.

12 minutes ago, ADour said:

I'm a bit out of the loop. What's been going on between Mattel and DC?

They lost the license to spin master

3 hours ago, tarot said:

They lost the license to spin master

Ouch. Should I be worried for DC fans considering I didn't know what Spin Master was until a Google search ago?

The rumor I've been hearing is that Spinmasters will be doing the more "Child Oriented" action figure lines. Whether that be rebooting the 4 inch line or doing a 6 inch limited articulation line similar to what Hasbro's been doing with their non-Legends line. The DC Multiverse will be designated as an "Adult Collection" (or some such) and will remain with Mattel as they have made vast improvements to the line and should be showing more upcoming figures at Toy Fair 2019 and an official announcement should be made no later than SDCC 2019. Of course there's been no formal comment in that regard and any correspondence with any online personalities have been vague at best, but some supposed "people in the know" claim to have contacts that have informed them. Now, as I said, it's all just rumor at this point, but based on Mattel's recent work on the line and product that has been shown up to this point, it kinda makes sense to me.

That being said, I'm also fairly confident Hasbro and Marvel will renew their agreement as it's been pretty damn successful to this point with the Avengers franchises and it wouldn't make sense for them not to at least try to cash in on the future the MCU holds when the X-Men and FF franchises take over.