Marvel Legends 6" X-Men Caliban Wave Packaged Images

JayC

Lol, you cats are going way back. I do have that Rogue and that Caliban and I cherish them both. 

To be clear, I'm not a hater of Caliban in any way. He's just what I consider a "floater" in the entire Marvel Universe. There's just nothing solid or concrete about him. They've never really given him much of a back story. No one still really knows what his powers are. His size varies ridiculously. I know many characters' size really depends on the artist but after his initial power boost he was roughly about the size of Sabretooth but now, with no apparent change to his story or power set, other than temporary powers while serving as a horseman, he's suddenly a Hulk size character with still fairly unformidable abilities. If he'd been a single card figure in correct scale I woulda been super happy about it but this was a poor choice of character and inaccurate representation as a BAF. Especially since this figure seems to be based on his classic appearance wearing his original red & white uniform instead of his more modern appearance where his portrayed as much larger. If your gonna go for specific time sensitive looks of character at least get the stats correct.

I think the frustrating thing about Caliban, in addition to those you've mentioned in your post, is that IMO there's so many other BAF-sized characters that are worthy of this spot. After the "first" BAF Juggernaut from the Rogue wave, came Warlock from the Cyclops wave, then Apocalypse from the Psylocke wave (I feel like I'm missing other "X-men" Wave BAFs), throw in Sasquatch and Sauron and yet there's still other X-verse characters they could've done. Caliban would be way down on that list. Even then my preference is the thin Morlock version.  

I think the one-two punch of *this* Caliban and *that* Wendigo for this year is doubly head-scratching. It's not like Hasbro didn't have enough time make new moulds for the much-requested Strong Guy to make his debut here. Instead we get a character that reuses their big buck with no new pieces and a reuse of the Sasquatch buck.

But I can't complain too much since we're close to getting definitive versions of the Jim Lee era X-men. Avengers fans still don't have good comic-versions of Falcon and even their Captain America isn't perfect.

In a way the MCU's X-menless universe kinda benefitted the Marvel Legend X-men comic fans in that regard.

The BAF is a total pass for me and I am ok with that. I am just really happy that Hasbro did not make Beast the BAF like everyone was cheering for at SDCC. I can get him as a single packed figure along with Gambit which are going to be the main two I will be getting. Forge and Jubilee are also on my list with Blink being a maybe. My days of collecting these are coming to a close rather I like it or not. I have other priorities staring me in the face now. I would like to finish my collection off with these guys so I am really happy with the character selections this time around. I was pretty dissappointed with the selection of the last wave. I would have preferred a Jim Lee 90's Storm over the one we got. Gladiator was a pass for me and Magneto could have been better. Psylocke was an upgrade from the SDCC X-Force version but they should have just did a blue body version of her that came with both a black hair version and a purple hair version both in the package. Sabertooth was the star of the wave along with tiger striped Wolverine.

Now if I can manage to get a Nightcrawler, 90's Jim Lee Storm (rumored as coming), Colossus in his classic outfit, I will be happy to call my collection complete. Banshee, Longshot, and 80's Dazzler would be pretty sweet as well.

4 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

Totally not dissing Power Slammers Rogue! I loved that thing!

I've actually been trying to buy a Spat and Grovel fig off ebay. I'd like to think they (Spat especially) can fit in with Legends (?)

Anyways to try to go back on topic, I'm really not a fan of the darker furs on Beast especially on his hands.

Being Toy Biz, the issue is scale: they're a bit on the very, very small side (Spat is kinda half of Spider-Ham). That said, Grovel would certainly fit with 3.75" or 6" modern era Legends, and as long as you don't mind that, you'll get a kick out of these: great detail and paintwork on both.

And doing likewise, with Beast, it's okay...closer to animated 1990's Beast. Plus, the likelihood of a second/redeco Beast is high - as with last year's mostly repainted Toy Biz/retro Legends wave (loved Wasp, Vision and Scarlet Spider) I think Beast V2 will show up in the 'Classic X-Men' line. Maybe labcoat, maybe new head, maybe Dark Beast, but wouldn't bet on anything other than new paint.

Classic Nimrod got passed over for...Caliban? Thanks for saving me more $$ Hasbro. I'll just be looking to get Beast, Gambit, Forge loose & maybe snag Weapon X Wolvy later on. Adding the extra Reaver head was cool but not on that DL buck. An actual EE exclusive comic accurate Reavers boxset with LD & a battle damaged Wolvy woulda been the ticket!

Im definitely looking forward to most of these. Caliban is pretty much a pass for me unless I get the others for super cheap. My major grabs are Beast, Jubes and Gambito. I want Forge eventually and possibly Blink further down the line. Weapon X looks good but yet again Hasbro cant make a decent unmasked Wolverine head but its a welcome inclusion for those that enjoy it. Really nice addition for the extra reavers head for skullbuster as well. You can tell Hasbro is really trying to sell that balance and poseability that the Toybiz Beast was well known for. 

Seriously this one of the best waves. I would only dismiss Skullbuster, The only good thing about it is that rpobably charatcers related to him will come next.  I can't wait for a Lady Deathstrike. 

About the BAF I think that they could have done Mr Sinister. But I also think that this one is coming very soon. 

The Caliban looks somewhat better in that new batch of images.

Here's to hoping the removable sunglasses that comes with the extra Jubilee head can be worn on top of her head/hair. It's sortof a nit-pick but I actually kinda wish the second head had a different hairstyle like a bob-cut similar to her Generation X/Chris Bachalo days.

That extra Reese head looks really cool (and unique) with its see-thru helmet.

Blink is so purty :)

I really need all the figures in this wave (except for skullbuster, not really intrested in him but probably will end up picking him up on clearance just to complete calliban), Weapon X is looking nice, though what is up with hasbro and logan headsculpts, the unhelmeted head is not looking that great (it doesnt matter Ill end up posing him with the helmet anyway, more iconic that way) Ill probably end up repainting the wires too not only does the candy red color look too toyish, all 3 being the same color is kind of offputting, should have been different colors (greens and oranges in there, they also seem a little thick)

Great series! Definitely looking forward to Beast, Jubilee, and Gambit the most but this whole set looks solid. I do have to echo everyone on this thread complaining about Hasbro's Logan head sculpts. Considering how well the rest of their X-men line is looking it's disappointing that they've only given us the weird flat-faced low-brow cartoony Logan face and now this awkward attempt at a Barry Windsor-Smith styled Weapon X head. It's like they're trolling us because they know Wolverine figures sell. Hopefully, when they do get it right, they keep it on the same peg setup as the rest of these figures for easy swapping.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:33 PM, enzosaurusrex said:

Here's a question for y'all: If you only had enough money TODAY for three figures and this shows up at your local store TODAY, which three would you pick? Let's say they had the full case, so 2 Gambits in store.

beast is the one i really, really want from this wave.  Choosing 2 from the rest I'd probably go with Jubilee and Blink.   The only figure that doesn't appeal to me at all is Forge.. and I'm pretty 'meh' on the Caliban BAF although i'm sure in hand he's pretty cool.  I was on a marvel hiatus during the 90s so I don't actually know a lot about most of these characters, but they are visually appealing enough that if i saw any of them on sale for say under $15 down the line, i wouldn't hesitate to pick them up (except maybe Forge)