What's up with the X-Force wave

monron999

8 hours ago, Jboom said:

I bet xforce doesn’t have a baf and comes on vintage card backs like the old style figs. We’ll get fantomex, wolvie, bone breaker, wolfsbane, and warpath 

Unfortunately that looks like it's going to be the case,  but if it is, expect the assortment to be all repaints along the style Rektangular predicted in his video. They may be able to coble some kinda Fantomex together with his old head sculpt and the Maddrox buck formula, but Wolfsbane and Warpath are probably not gonna happen. Again, what a waist of endless possibilities. Although I'm all for a new X-Force Wolvie and maybe a Psylocke with a new (better) head sculpt, the rest of the cast can pound salt.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:02 PM, monron999 said:

I love the way you think my friend. Looks like you're fairly new on these forums so you might not know I'm the biggest Strong Guy honk in these posts and I've been calling his BAF for like 3 years only to get my heart broken by Warlock, Sauron (who was an awesome BAF) and most recently and most humiliatingly, Caliban (again, WTF?).

Kinda new.  I've been on the TNI forums since 2012 and only realized Marvelous News had its own separate boards this fall.  Not really sure how it took that long.

Based on the other X-Force characters that have released in the last few years, I'd be surprised if they didn't pull this wave mostly or entirely from the classic Liefield era (to go with Shatterstar and Cable) and either of Wolverine's gray/black teams (to go with Deadpool, Domino, and X-23). This all assumes this is a proper wave, not a vintage collection, because frankly I'm not even sure how they'd pull off an X-Force vintage wave yet, without resorting to some pretty old sculpts, but here are my thoughts.

Boom Boom, Cannonball, and Warpath all seem pretty safe bets because they're classic team members who are also part of the current team. I'd guess Wolverine and Wolfsbane are the mostly likely black-ops representatives (or maybe Fantomex), though Deathlok and Psylocke repaints would be pretty easy too.

As far as villains, the classic X-Force picks are Deadpool, Stryfe, the Brotherhood, or the MLF. Deadpool has too many recent variants already and his classic costume is covered, Stryfe has a relatively recent figure, and the MLF is pretty damn obscure (although Zero or Forearm could happen?), so I'd bet money on someone from the Brotherhood to go along with the recent Sauron figure. Toad seems likely, but Blob would also make a great BAF.

Otherwise, both Spiral and X-Man feel like relatively possible tangential characters. Spiral is especially interesting because she fills a villain slot, but was also a member (kind of) of Storm's X-Force.

So... Boom Boom, Cannonball, Spiral, Toad, Warpath, Wolfsbane, and Wolverine with a Blob build-a-figure seems like a solid and possible wave.

If it's a vintage wave, I guess it would have to be some combination of Cable, Deadpool, Deathlok, Domino, Psylocke, Shatterstar, Stryfe, and X-23, which would be pretty unexciting, as most of those are still pretty widely available. Archangel's too big, and Wolverine would need new boots, so he's actually pretty unlikely.

17 hours ago, Benn said:

If it's a vintage wave, I guess it would have to be some combination of Cable, Deadpool, Deathlok, Domino, Psylocke, Shatterstar, Stryfe, and X-23, which would be pretty unexciting, as most of those are still pretty widely available.

The Domino we got was very unexciting to begin with. 90s Domino is where it's at!

And just because it's a vintage wave doesn't necessarily mean they will stick strictly to the formula they've used for the 2 vintage waves we got.

That's true. The rumour, last I heard, is that it's a "regular" wave without a build-a-figure (bummed as I'd be for no BAF, since it's the perfect opportunity to update the Blob). There's also a rumoured X-Men vintage wave, so I think people are just speculatively combining the two rumours. That could turn out to be really sensible, but I'd be surprised if the vintage wave deviated too far from Colossus, Cyclops, Magneto, Psylocke, Rogue, and Wolverine, in one form or another.

I'd be really hyped on Cannonball if it included some sort of attachment to cover his legs and simulate blasting, but that would be pretty big for an accessory. I don't know how likely it is. I guess it's possible in the absence of a BAF?

I'm mostly just hoping for Spiral (however unlikely) and gray Wolverine, honestly, though.

1 hour ago, Benn said:

I'd be really hyped on Cannonball if it included some sort of attachment to cover his legs and simulate blasting, but that would be pretty big for an accessory. I don't know how likely it is. I guess it's possible in the absence of a BAF?

I'm mostly just hoping for Spiral (however unlikely) and gray Wolverine, honestly, though.

What costume of Sam's are you hoping for? I know it's highly-unlikely but I'm partial to his Uncanny X-men costume when Joe Mad was drawing the books. Cannonball's costume during the Onslaught arc, similar to Cyclops' blue and yellow Jim Lee costume.

4 hours ago, KabutoRyder said:

All I want is a new Warpath so I don't have to try and sell a kidney to buy the old 6 inch one floating around out there.

lol ok i did a quick ebay check and you arent' kidding! although is it me? or is the 5" one, from 1992 Toy Biz, a better face and body sculpt despite the less detail??

52 minutes ago, enzosaurusrex said:

What costume of Sam's are you hoping for? I know it's highly-unlikely but I'm partial to his Uncanny X-men costume when Joe Mad was drawing the books. Cannonball's costume during the Onslaught arc, similar to Cyclops' blue and yellow Jim Lee costume.

I feel like it would almost certainly be the purple costume from early X-Force, but I'd prefer the black and white costume from later Uncanny X-Men, or just a New Mutants uniform. That Madureira costume would be sweet too, though.

2 hours ago, Benn said:

I feel like it would almost certainly be the purple costume from early X-Force, but I'd prefer the black and white costume from later Uncanny X-Men, or just a New Mutants uniform. That Madureira costume would be sweet too, though.

I personally think the Purple costume is the definitive Cannonball look but they did one in a 2 pack with Domino I believe way back in the day and even though it was terrible (at least by today's standards) we know Hasbro is not too keen on doing straight redos, regardless of how poorly done they were, so I'm betting if he gets done (and I have a strong feeling, as you all seem to) he'll most likely be done in his more modern black or blue leather (which could easily converted from Ghost Rider) or Hasbro could go total cop out (which they've been known to do at times) and do his minimalistic New Mutants uniform, which a lot of collectors might appreciate as an army builder. Even include a Cypher swap head maybe.

49 minutes ago, tarot said:

Speaking of X-force or rather one of the only New Mutant NOT to join the X-force a new screen shot of a Walgreen computer indicates that we might finally be getting the Dani Moonstar figure. I hope she comes with alternate heads so we can make other members.

that would be cool although often Dani often has a unique belt and fringes on her boots, so i guess it depends on what comic look they go with (although i'm sure the belt would be an easy enough issue to deal with).  A Rahne head would be a great inclusion although usually she is shown as a little shorter than Dani iirc (not a deal-breaker or anything).   

I'll probably pick her up either way.  I do find it odd that WG would shift from FF figures to female mutants.  I know that x-characters are generally popular but anecdotally i feel like the female comic characters are the ones most likely to pegwarm (i'm thinking of my last trip to WM where all they had were a bunch of gwenpools and songbirds, plus one Ms Marvel and one Proxima), although there are certainly exceptions to that rule.  That's WG's problem though and i'm definitely glad they are providing us a way to get some of these characters.  

Hopefully Cannonball or Sunspot are in the works. I'd like a powered-up Magma figure too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 5:52 PM, Benn said:

So... Boom Boom, Cannonball, Spiral, Toad, Warpath, Wolfsbane, and Wolverine with a Blob build-a-figure seems like a solid and possible wave.

Looks like I'm two for seven so far, and practically everyone guessed Boom Boom and Cannonball, so that's not saying much. With five figures revealed, there's still room for one or two more figures on my list to make it, but I'm muuuuch less confident. I expected them to play a little loose with various X-Force eras, but I should've expected "X-Force" to mean "X-Men with a minor X-Force subtheme", a'la the second Deadpool wave. I guess Age of Apocalypse Nightcrawler was on X-Force for a little while. Heh.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:56 AM, RAMCAT said:

And just because it's a vintage wave doesn't necessarily mean they will stick strictly to the formula they've used for the 2 vintage waves we got.

Man, credit where credit is due. You said this, and I thought "obviously they'll stick to that formula", but you nailed it. Wolverine, Cyclops, and Dazzler are probably 90%+ retooled parts, but they're still presented in a much newer way than I would've believed likely, and I'd be surprised to learn that Silver Samurai's not mostly a new sculpt.

I wonder why they opted to do a Vintage X-men wave. As a 5" Toybiz collector I think they look rad but I'm essentially paying the same price as a regular ML figure but without a BAF piece.

In my neck of the woods, the first Vintage wave didn't sell that well. They were eventually put on clearance at London Drugs.