Oscars Nominations Are Out And Black Panther Is Nominated For Best Picture

JayC

The 91st Academy Awards Oscar nominations have been revealed and for the first time, a super hero movie has been nominated for the category of Best Picture with Marvel Studio's Black Panther movie.

It will be going up against the likes of "BlacKkKlansman", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "The Favourite", "Green Book", "Roma", "A Star Is Born" and "Vice".

Black Panther has also been nominated for Best Production Design, Costume Design, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, and Original Score.

Sony's "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" is also up for Best Animated Film and Avengers: Infinity War is up for Best Visual Effects.

The ceremony will be held on February 24, 2019.

Black-Panther-Poster__scaled_600.jpg

Sure it is groundbreaking for a Super Hero movie make it to the Oscars. But to me this movie is not the best. Infinity War is way way better.  Even Ragnarok is better. The best MCU movies besides these two were Civil War and Winter Soldier. Black Panther is a great movie, the cinematography is nice, but the CGI is not that good and overall it doesn't makes it a bests picture nominee. The people had other reasons to put it there. We all know it.  Since when it was released people were already talking that this was going to happen. Politics has overwhelmed everything and now all must be about making some sort of stand. Has to be politically charged and so on. Again, good movie, I enjoyed a lot, but just doesn't deserve a nomination. 

Yeah, I don't think BP should win for Best Picture. Its nice that it was nominated (and frankly probably deserves to be there more than the Freddie Mercury biopic) but even in a relatively weak field like this year's nominees , it seems like a stretch.  Certainly it should win in some of the other categories, costume design in particular.

Black Panther was a better-crafted film than Infinity War, especially as a stand-alone film. Infinity War was great payoff, but Black Panther is excellent, with or without the context of previous MCU films. To me, Black Panther may be the best-made MCU film (I think the first GOTG might still be my favorite). The acting, music, costumes, etc. all came together so well. I think it deserves the nomination- I'm just disappointed that neither Chadwick Boseman nor Michael B. Jordan were nominated.