Inquiry: Sanding and priming tips

BooyakabungaBuzz

I'm hoping to paint my first custom soon. Can anyone recommend any resources (step-by-step list, or video) for sanding and painting?

Specifically, I'm hoping to get some advice on what grade grit of sandpaper to use for each step. In regard to painting: What specific primer should I use? What is an efficient airbrushing tool (brand/model/etc)?

I've picked up some "Model Master" acrylic paints from my local Hobby Lobby, but my application technique (dry brush on unsanded, unprimed figures) is coming out too "streaky" and/or too "globby."

Additionally, if you can point me to another thread on this forum where these issues might have already been discussed, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing your insight and experience!

Yep.  Soap and water.  Figures frequently still have mold release on them and painting over that can be a huge pain.  A good thorough scrub with dishwashing soap (don't use handsoap) and an old toothbrush and a VERY thorough rinse with plain old water should do the trick.

You might want to thin your paint a little bit too (water should work for that), but definitely wash them first.

I'll wash them and try thinning my paint. I really appreciate the advice, Satam. Thanks for your input.

Another issue that I've encountered is flaking of the paint (mostly at joints where moving parts make contact, but also on non-moving surfaces that make contact with external forces (i.e. the figure falling, a fingernail accidentally scratching the paint, etc). Is there a reliable "finishing" method of applying a clear coat or otherwise transparent protective surface?

22 hours ago, KabutoRyder said:

Any tip on how to easily be able to open bottles of Model Master paints? I have a set I use but after I use them a couple times, its like they get stuck and it takes an act of God to open the bottle again.

Hmm, I've yet to encounter this problem with my jars of paint. I've only owned them for a few months, though. During which time I've probably only dipped into each jar once, definitely no more than twice.

Maybe you could fill a dropper with some isopropyl alcohol and squeeze a few drops around the base of the caps while the jar is upside-down? Let the alcohol work its way in and try to turn the caps then.

Or brush some acetone under the edge of caps and try to work them loose?

If the caps to my paint jars ever seize up and I manage to work them loose, I'll post my method here. Good luck!

56 minutes ago, BooyakabungaBuzz said:

Hmm, I've yet to encounter this problem with my jars of paint. I've only owned them for a few months, though. During which time I've probably only dipped into each jar once, definitely no more than twice.

Maybe you could fill a dropper with some isopropyl alcohol and squeeze a few drops around the base of the caps while the jar is upside-down? Let the alcohol work its way in and try to turn the caps then.

Or brush some acetone under the edge of caps and try to work them loose?

If the caps to my paint jars ever seize up and I manage to work them loose, I'll post my method here. Good luck!

thanks. i like the model master paints, but I bought a couple citadel ones with the pop tops and i may switch to those just for the tops alone, lol

1 minute ago, KabutoRyder said:

thanks. i like the model master paints, but I bought a couple citadel ones with the pop tops and i may switch to those just for the tops alone, lol

I was just watching some process videos on Punker_Mike's YouTube channel for a few of his custom figures. He uses citadel paints, too. Do you mind if I ask where you got that brand?

On 1/30/2019 at 4:46 PM, KabutoRyder said:

Any tip on how to easily be able to open bottles of Model Master paints? I have a set I use but after I use them a couple times, its like they get stuck and it takes an act of God to open the bottle again.

Run hot water on the lid for several minutes.  The metal lid expands and the glass bottle does not.  I also use one of those universal size jar openers.