'X-Men' Producer Lauren Shuler Donner On 'Gambit', 'Wolverine', 'New Mutants' & 'X-Men' Franchise Under Disney

Outsiders

Deadline has the opportunity to sit down with X-Men producer Lauren Shuler Donner during TCA and questioned her about Marvel's Kevin Feige, the Gambit movie and the New Mutants movie.

Shuler Donner knows that handing the X-Men franchise to Disney and Marvel’s Kevin Feige is in good hands.

“Kevin (Feige) and I started the first movie, he worked for me, he has a great story sense when it comes to weaving each world together, I trust him and I trust where he will take it,” said Shuler Donner.

As for the Gambit movie with Channing Tatum; its final result will be determined by the new Disney Marvel when it comes to fruition. The film is currently not bubbling in development. There’s no director attached to the pic even though Fox has it dated for March 13th, 2020.

As for Marvel characters, Shuler Donner says that there’s been some thoughts about a new Wolverine down the road.

"It’s all in Disney’s playground and they get to decide,” said the producer.

Will she be sticking around with the X-Men franchise once Disney takes control?

“I don’t know, I don’t think so, certainly in name credit, it’s up to Kevin (Feige),” said Shuler Donner, “I don’t know what Kevin is thinking, I think he’s still dealing with the wealth of characters and trying to make sense of it all.”

Shuler Donner hoped to clear up the rumors of New Mutants heading to Hulu, Shuler Donner, who yielded production oversee of the project to Simon Kinberg, says that she’s “hopeful” that the teen-horror pic will receive a theatrical release. The pic is currently scheduled to hit theaters on August 2nd.

“They worked hard on it,” said Shuler Donner about the film’s production team, “I want to see it released (theatrically), I’d hate to see it thrown at Hulu.”

Lauren-Shuler-Donner.jpg

13 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Shuler Donner hoped to clear up the rumors of New Mutants heading to Hulu, Shuler Donner, who yielded production oversee of the project to Simon Kinberg, says that she’s “hopeful” that the teen-horror pic will receive a theatrical release. The pic is currently scheduled to hit theaters on August 2nd.

“They worked hard on it,” said Shuler Donner about the film’s production team, “I want to see it released (theatrically), I’d hate to see it thrown at Hulu

Ouch, that does make it sound like this probably will never be see theaters.  I'm guessing that in anticipation of this movie, Hasbro must have had some comic-based new mutant figures planned, hopefully we will still see some of those.  I know that Dani is supposed to be coming but hoping for Cannonball, Wolfsbane, Sunspot as well.  Magma would be nice too.

1 minute ago, KabutoRyder said:

Gambit can't hold his own movie and he def does not need to be played by Channing Tatum

well they used to say the same thing about Iron Man, Thor and Cap. No one thought they would be as successful as they were and then there was the whole thing with RDJ being a recovering addict. Not saying they should keep Tatum on the project (in my opinion they should boot him off) but like I said use the Gambit to hard reboot the franchise. They could even introduce the new Rogue and stuff. Then they can do other X-men Characters, like Wolverine and Storm and then do the X-men. Worked for the lesser Avengers, it can work for others.