Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tarot

Infamous Iron Man and Emma Frost

Recommended Posts

I'm surprised that people are giving out about Infamous Iron Man and Emma Frost being modern version. I mean do you guys not know Hasbro? They always do the modern version first before doing the classic version. Look at Taskmaster, Cyclops, Thor, Iron Man, Cap, Vision, Ant-man, Cable, Colossus, Namor, Magneto, Sabretooth, etc. and that not even including the character that had movie figure and then a comic figure.

I get that you lot want the classic version but hasbro does the modern version to get NEW collectors into the hobbie. They'll get to the classic stuff eventually. Deep Breaths.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're absolutely right Tarot. People simply need to review the history. They would rather whine 1st. Take Storm for example; We recently got Ms Mohawk. What version of the character came before that? What version of the character did the staff at Hasbro themselves ask which color would we prefer (I think we're getting a running change personally)? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I feel its only a matter of time till a classic Dr. Doom drops. I might pick up the Infamous one up in Walgreens if its on the shelve. Not going to pay outrageous prices on Ebay though or through their site on shipping. Emma Frost is just a pass entirely. I hate that body mold they chose for her. I have the classic white one from Wolverine Legends Puck BAF wave anyways. I just wished she came with her cape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dodge76 said:

Yeah, I feel its only a matter of time till a classic Dr. Doom drops. I might pick up the Infamous one up in Walgreens if its on the shelve. Not going to pay outrageous prices on Ebay though or through their site on shipping. Emma Frost is just a pass entirely. I hate that body mold they chose for her. I have the classic white one from Wolverine Legends Puck BAF wave anyways. I just wished she came with her cape.

That costume they used for the Puck wave one doesn't actually use a cape. It's from the San Francisco / Utopia period where is wore that, without the cap.

The one that coming was done for 2 reasons mainly. 1. It's to go with the Renegade Cyclops and Magik figure (white and black Mags should be coming soon) and 2. I think Hasbro just want to give us something different since she had a white costume twice. They did the same for Mags. Gave us something different instead of repeating the same version..................again.

But yeah. Emma Frost is one of the few character that has admitted she had a boob job done on her so having her as flatter then she should be goes against the character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind Infamous Iron man (though I would prefer a Superior Iron Man) or Black Emma. My only problem with using "modern" costumes is that sometimes (due to the nature of making figures) the costume is not the current one anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tarot said:

 

I get that you lot want the classic version but hasbro does the modern version to get NEW collectors into the hobbie. They'll get to the classic stuff eventually. Deep Breaths.

 

While I'm sure there is some truth to this, i think hasbro also knows that many of us (myself included, at times), while hoping for a classic version eventually, will shell out for a modern version now for a variety of reasons:  wanting a placeholder to fill a spot in the collection,  impatience about wanting to shoot pics with so-and-so character NOW, a bird in the hand worth two in the bush, etc.... and many of us  will shell out AGAIN when the classic version eventually comes around, so Hasbro ends up getting us to buy 2 figs.   If you came out with the classic version first, i'm sure that not as many of us would bother with the modern version.  Can't fault Hasbro, they aren't going to leave money on the table.  And of course, sometimes you can come to really appreciate the modern versions even if you thought you'd like classic (the Black & red magneto and DD both come to mind for me - i don't really feel like i need classic versions of either now). Colossus on the other hand....

Back on topic, both of these figs are passes for me, so the only WG fig I'm worried about at the moment is Mystique.  Could change my mind about Emma but i'll stick with ToyBiz Doom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will scoop up that Emma if she ends up getting a Black Queen head or any other interesting pack-ins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leokearon said:

I don't mind Infamous Iron man (though I would prefer a Superior Iron Man) or Black Emma. My only problem with using "modern" costumes is that sometimes (due to the nature of making figures) the costume is not the current one anymore. 

I would personally argue that figures of modern costumes coming out when they're no longer relevant is another of Hasbro's faults. I know that there is a process behind making figures, but if you compare Marvel Legends to DC Multiverse, I'm kinda jealous of how quick Mattel is (was?) to make topical DC figures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both are a pass.  Not mad about that either.  With all the stuff from last weekend my wallet can use all the help it can get.  They both look like great figures as far as representing those costumes goes, but I never liked either costume in the comics, so I'm passing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish Iron Doom would've come out when it was relevant, but I'm still going to get it. I loved redeemed Doom and it's a nice addition to my display (I was going to say "my Iron Man display" but it's redundant since I mostly only collect Iron Man figures).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should mention this but I'm not just talking bout the figures, they are just the 2 in the latest figure that people whine about not having a classic version, when they have been released before. Hasbro is trying to give us something different guys besides doing the same thing again.

it would be like doing the classic spidey on different molds and nothing but classic spidey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tarot said:

I should mention this but I'm not just talking bout the figures, they are just the 2 in the latest figure that people whine about not having a classic version, when they have been released before. Hasbro is trying to give us something different guys besides doing the same thing again.

it would be like doing the classic spidey on different molds and nothing but classic spidey.

But how long as it been, since the classic versions have been released...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ADour said:

I would personally argue that figures of modern costumes coming out when they're no longer relevant is another of Hasbro's faults. I know that there is a process behind making figures, but if you compare Marvel Legends to DC Multiverse, I'm kinda jealous of how quick Mattel is (was?) to make topical DC figures.

Yeah, it is annoying to have a toy of a costume, that they aren't wearing anymore. Look at Laura's Wolverine costume (glad to have btw) but by the time they released it, LOgan was back and she wasn't even wearing that costume anymore. Yet the 3.75 inch line did get one out in time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tarot said:

I should mention this but I'm not just talking bout the figures, they are just the 2 in the latest figure that people whine about not having a classic version, when they have been released before. Hasbro is trying to give us something different guys besides doing the same thing again.

it would be like doing the classic spidey on different molds and nothing but classic spidey.

It's just par for the course with Hasbro. There's just so much source material and so much cosplay in the Marvel Universe some things they do make total sense and then sometimes its like they just throw a dart and go with that one. I do understand the logic for Emma though, I pretty much called the black suit when rumblings started. Two white Emma's have already been done, poorly and plain at best, but they've been done. They weren't about to do what amounts to a 2nd redo (yet). I'm more upset by the sculpt than anything. If you can't get a little more risque (if you can even call it that, it's just her body type) with an exclusive, then where else? That Doom is just an obvious cheap cash grab, though I'm sure a more traditional version will be on it's way eventualy. It looks like the cape is pretty much Doom-specific. The character itself is just as poorly thought out and neither of them interests me. Not to say no one's excited for it, but the general consensus seems to be "meh!". From initial outlook, the figures gonna be a pass for me, but I'll reserve final judgement till product hits the floor. If it ends up looking "cool" enough, which they almost always do, I'm sure I'll scrape up the funds to take it home and bag & store it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, leokearon said:

Yeah, it is annoying to have a toy of a costume, that they aren't wearing anymore. Look at Laura's Wolverine costume (glad to have btw) but by the time they released it, LOgan was back and she wasn't even wearing that costume anymore. Yet the 3.75 inch line did get one out in time.

I personally feel this with Iron Man (and I think he's a good example of this issue). He initially wore the Extremis Armor between 2004-2009. Hasbro released a figure for it in 2012. He wore the Bleeding Edge Armor between 2010-2012. Hasbro released its figure in 2013. He wore the Marvel NOW! armor between 2012-2014. Hasbro released its (half-assed) figure in 2015. He wore the Deep-Space Armor in 2013. Hasbro released its figure in 2014. He wore the Model-Prime Armor between 2015-2016. Hasbro released its figure in 2018. And now Doom was Iron Man between 2016-2018 and Hasbro is releasing his figure in 2019.

I should consider myself lucky that Tony has gone back to the Extremis Armor, otherwise I wouldn't have a topical Iron Man action figure (though Hasbro could redo the Extremis figure).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys really need to chill out with this "Moonstone buck" madness (not specifically addressed at you KiloinNorcal, nor any other particular poster). It's making it really hard for me to enjoy posting on this forum, and I can't be the only one. I can only imagine how much worse it must be for women. I get it. Emma Frost was a weird choice for such a heavy chest de-emphasis, but this isn't the first thread I've had to abandon for incessant complaining about female proportions.

Different artists have portrayed every woman and man in the Marvel universe in different ways, and the 90s in general was a bastion of absurd-looking balloon chests that have largely been toned down since. There has been no consistency in the comics and there's no consistency in real life. Not every woman has a physique like that Moonstone figure, and it would be ludicrous pandering for them to use that frame for every female character. Because these action figures are portrayals of characters.

This particular figure portrays Emma during a particular era. Go back and look at Bachalo's illustrations during that era. It's a pretty accurate take on the body he was drawing. It's totally fine to like that Moonstone body. It's a great sculpt, but it would make no sense whatsoever to use it for every female character. (Again, I acknowledge that isn't what was said here, but I've seen it explicitly stated elsewhere, and I'm just tired of reading over and over "should've been Moonstone"; this is just the post that finally triggered a rant.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though I collect X-men exclusively, this figure is a pass for me (maybe I'll wait til she goes on sale/clearance). Aside from the costume choice, it's a fairly weak face/hair sculpt as well. I do wonder what they'll add in the box though (considering she doesn't come with a BAF part). Perhaps a completely different extra head/hair sculpt (not just a different facial expression). I can see them giving her half-diamond-transformed forearms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tarot said:

I should mention this but I'm not just talking bout the figures, they are just the 2 in the latest figure that people whine about not having a classic version, when they have been released before. Hasbro is trying to give us something different guys besides doing the same thing again.

it would be like doing the classic spidey on different molds and nothing but classic spidey.

I feel the same way about Hercules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Benn said:

You guys really need to chill out with this "Moonstone buck" madness (not specifically addressed at you KiloinNorcal, nor any other particular poster). It's making it really hard for me to enjoy posting on this forum, and I can't be the only one. I can only imagine how much worse it must be for women. I get it. Emma Frost was a weird choice for such a heavy chest de-emphasis, but this isn't the first thread I've had to abandon for incessant complaining about female proportions.

Different artists have portrayed every woman and man in the Marvel universe in different ways, and the 90s in general was a bastion of absurd-looking balloon chests that have largely been toned down since. There has been no consistency in the comics and there's no consistency in real life. Not every woman has a physique like that Moonstone figure, and it would be ludicrous pandering for them to use that frame for every female character. Because these action figures are portrayals of characters.

This particular figure portrays Emma during a particular era. Go back and look at Bachalo's illustrations during that era. It's a pretty accurate take on the body he was drawing. It's totally fine to like that Moonstone body. It's a great sculpt, but it would make no sense whatsoever to use it for every female character. (Again, I acknowledge that isn't what was said here, but I've seen it explicitly stated elsewhere, and I'm just tired of reading over and over "should've been Moonstone"; this is just the post that finally triggered a rant.)

Well i don't think the Moonstone buck argument is going anywhere soon. First off, it's a completely legit argument many of us have feelings on. You are correct that the body type doesnt apply to every character and I don't think that's what @KiloinNorcal or anyone else was saying at all, but it is appropriate for this one. Also, I doubt anyone else fully agrees with the entire Bachalo argument, but it's as easy as a Google search either way. He does draw the females very thin, but as many artists do, he still tends to draw the female upper torso larger in comparison to their frame. Applying your logic the figure should be made with a Kate Bishop base and a Moonstone upper torso. That's beside the point though. I dont think anyone making the argument is "boobie crazy", but the majority feel like accuracy is important, and aside from what one particular artist's interpretation of Emma is, the "standard" and "regular" appearance is right in line with our argument or if you prefer "complaints". As far as the female opinion, I think you'll find they're not quite a thin skinned as CNN will have you believe. Don't go fooling yourself, all true female comic fans I know would put as much emphasis on accuracy as the rest of us, and you might be surprised as to how many female fans have chimed in on this issue already. Secondly, we just like the mystery surrounding the Moonstone buck and it's disappearance and it's a source of constant speculative discussion. It is the superior buck as far as stability and size and balance and the fact that it has been effectively phased out is both unfortunate and frustrating because, as previously mentioned, it still applies to many characters.

So in closing, it's been great having all the new blood in these forums and it's been great getting to know and interact with you. Like many others, you have great input and opinions as well, but if the so called complaints on this issue and, I assume others like it, are so traumatizing that you'd rather pick up your ball and go home rather than engage in friendly discourse, then in the famous words of Curly Bill Brocius from one of the greatest western of all times, "Well......bye.".

Cuz we're all pretty damn opinionated 'round these parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to add that emma frost is onenof the few character to admit she has had plastic surgery, including breat implants. And she is proud of that. To not give her a curvy body goes against the character altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes "It should have been on Moostone body" is getting super annoying, I agree, I'm personally guilty of that, but it's still true.  We talking about Superheroes, Elektra, Psylocke, Black Widow, heroes that are known to have extensive training and muscles mass, it isn't even about butts or boobs, check how skinny are legs on vintage wave Black Widow, Silver Sable and Elektra. It just doesn't fit them. Spider-girl, Spider gwen, X23, MJ sure I don't want them on Moonstone. Check every big toy reviewer be it Shartimus, Anthony or anyone else, they all say body Hasbro is making all their females look too skinny. P.S. Bachahlo has utra stylized art style, it just weird to take his art for proportions.  Even promo art for vintage Black Widow has different leg proportions than figure. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 04.43.26.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, monron999 said:

Well i don't think the Moonstone buck argument is going anywhere soon. First off, it's a completely legit argument many of us have feelings on. You are correct that the body type doesnt apply to every character and I don't think that's what @KiloinNorcal or anyone else was saying at all, but it is appropriate for this one. Also, I doubt anyone else fully agrees with the entire Bachalo argument, but it's as easy as a Google search either way. He does draw the females very thin, but as many artists do, he still tends to draw the female upper torso larger in comparison to their frame. Applying your logic the figure should be made with a Kate Bishop base and a Moonstone upper torso. That's beside the point though. I dont think anyone making the argument is "boobie crazy", but the majority feel like accuracy is important, and aside from what one particular artist's interpretation of Emma is, the "standard" and "regular" appearance is right in line with our argument or if you prefer "complaints". As far as the female opinion, I think you'll find they're not quite a thin skinned as CNN will have you believe. Don't go fooling yourself, all true female comic fans I know would put as much emphasis on accuracy as the rest of us, and you might be surprised as to how many female fans have chimed in on this issue already. Secondly, we just like the mystery surrounding the Moonstone buck and it's disappearance and it's a source of constant speculative discussion. It is the superior buck as far as stability and size and balance and the fact that it has been effectively phased out is both unfortunate and frustrating because, as previously mentioned, it still applies to many characters.

So in closing, it's been great having all the new blood in these forums and it's been great getting to know and interact with you. Like many others, you have great input and opinions as well, but if the so called complaints on this issue and, I assume others like it, are so traumatizing that you'd rather pick up your ball and go home rather than engage in friendly discourse, then in the famous words of Curly Bill Brocius from one of the greatest western of all times, "Well......bye.".

Cuz we're all pretty damn opinionated 'round these parts.

Good Job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...







Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE