Dark Phoenix & Cyclops 2-Pack

BradMan

Has there been any word or rumor on the Toys R Us exclusive Dark Phoenix and Cyclops set being re-released through other online retailers like previous Toys R Us sets?  

With the “Dark Phoenix” movie coming out in June and no Jean Grey/Phoenix figures in either the Caliban or X-Force wave it would seem like a no-brainer to make these sets more widely available.

Of course, a Walgreens Jim Lee Jean Grey rerelease or redo wouldn’t hurt either...

11 hours ago, BradMan said:

Has there been any word or rumor on the Toys R Us exclusive Dark Phoenix and Cyclops set being re-released through other online retailers like previous Toys R Us sets?  

With the “Dark Phoenix” movie coming out in June and no Jean Grey/Phoenix figures in either the Caliban or X-Force wave it would seem like a no-brainer to make these sets more widely available.

Of course, a Walgreens Jim Lee Jean Grey rerelease or redo wouldn’t hurt either...

It’s definitely possible but I wouldn’t hold my breath on it either. Also, i don’t think Dark Pheonix or New Mutants will see the light of day now that Disney has the rights. It makes less than zero sense for Disney to allow them to come out and since both films have been delayed multiple times (even after release dates and trailers showing the dates have been aired), I think they are being shelved. Obviously at some point in the not too distant future, Disney is going to relaunch the X-Men brand so it would be counter-intuitive to that process to let these movies comes out and it’s zero skin off their back since they didn’t need produce the movies. Just my opinion.

Those two movies are happening. They just put out a brand new Dark Phoenix trailer in the last 36 hours, and both have long since been filmed. What makes less sense than putting out two movies from a franchise you intend to reboot is canning two finished movies and never seeing a dime of return on them. Dark Phoenix was ludicrously expensive to make, after reshoots, wasn't it? I heard estimates that indicate it'll actually end up being virtually impossible to turn a profit on it, so I imagine taking a total bath on it would be pretty devastating.

2 hours ago, Benn said:

Those two movies are happening. They just put out a brand new Dark Phoenix trailer in the last 36 hours, and both have long since been filmed. What makes less sense than putting out two movies from a franchise you intend to reboot is canning two finished movies and never seeing a dime of return on them. Dark Phoenix was ludicrously expensive to make, after reshoots, wasn't it? I heard estimates that indicate it'll actually end up being virtually impossible to turn a profit on it, so I imagine taking a total bath on it would be pretty devastating.

Did they really just release a new trailer for Pheonix lol? I genuinely had no idea. I guess that’s a roundabout way of demonstrating my interest in the movie. With that being said, I would just about bet actual money that New Mutants does not come out, at least not in theaters. I could be wrong about that and that’s fine but that’s still my belief.

A couple things on the movies as a whole though:

1. From what I read regarding the details on the Fox acquisition  (I literally read everything I could find) is that Disney did not spend a dollar on producing those movies so in just the raw technical sense of it, they shouldn’t be in a position of losing any $ at all, if they did not actually release them. Of course, the complexity of this deal is very intensive and the 1000% full story on this acquisition with every single detail in every form, has not been released to the public and is most likely and unsurprisingly, privileged internal company info. 

2. Conversely, from what I was able to glean, is that fox still makes all of the revenue to any releases they produced, if they were in production before the acquisition, should said films come out. This then should also include X-Force but probably not Deadpool 3 since that’s still in conceptual stages and not even in pre-production since that comes after X-Force.

If the above is all true, then Disney doesn’t really lose any money but not releasing a movie they inherited and they also don’t stand to make much in the way of actual profit if they do release said film(s). 

If I was Bob Iger and Kevin Feige however, I would shelve Pheonix and New Mutants. We all know it is nothing short of a GUARANTEE that Disney will reboot and rebrand the X-Men & F4, in due time when they feel it is right and they will most likely due so in their own unique way/flavor, that would most likely derive from the MCU formula (think long term picture deal contracts with actors for starters). If the MCU is any indication, the odds are more in their favor of succeeding than failing with regards to the reboot. I will say however it will be very, very strange seeing someone playing Wolverine that is not Hugh Jackman but at least he went out with a bang with Logan so mad props to him and his legacy/contributions to X-Men. 

Whatever Disney decides to do, they will do it carefully and with much pragmatism, that much is for sure.

20 hours ago, BradMan said:

Oh, that would absolutely thrill me if they would! I wanted this 2 pack from the moment I first saw it and I struck out every single time I tried to order it. Apparently, the bottom line was just that TRU never sold it within a 100 miles of me and they would never ship it to me either. So frustrating! By the time I realized that no, really, I just was NOT going to be able to get it for anything even close to MSRP, it had gone sky high in the aftermarket. :sad: A re-release would be fantastic, especially if they set it back to MSRP (dream big, right? :wink: ).

5 hours ago, CobraSaboteur87 said:

Did they really just release a new trailer for Pheonix lol? I genuinely had no idea. I guess that’s a roundabout way of demonstrating my interest in the movie. With that being said, I would just about bet actual money that New Mutants does not come out, at least not in theaters. I could be wrong about that and that’s fine but that’s still my belief.

I think you're right that New Mutants will likely not get a theatrical release. I haven't really read much about the acquisition at all, so I can't really attribute motivation to anything, I guess, but my understanding was Disney had more or less committed to the release of Dark Phoenix and New Mutants and the cancellation of everything else (Gambit, X-Force, etc.).

3 hours ago, Benn said:

Back on topic, though, good luck to everyone on the two-pack! I got lucky last month and found one for MSRP on craigslist, so they're definitely out there!

Congrats on the score!

Regarding the movies, I guess we will all just have to wait and see lol. As far as X-Force, that’s definitely a go however as it’s in pre-production currently. Deadpool 3 will also happen and Disney recently said (probably to quell concerns) that they are committed to the Deadpool franchise and the content of the movies. If I had to guess, X-Force will be a larger budget affair and might be PG-13 but Deadpool 3 will be R.

As far as Gambit is concerned, lol I don’t think the Disney purchase is really effecting it one way or another as that movie was never coming out (imo) and has been in development turmoil for years, with writers and directors leaving and what not. Guess we will have to wait and see of course but for me personally, I just don’t (never did) see that project happening, at least not for a long, long, long time lol.

On 2/28/2019 at 6:18 AM, BradMan said:

I could see hasbro re-releasing this set as an exclusive for another store to tie it up with the movie. Jim Lee Jean redo seems to me like it could be one of the 2 figures that havent been revealed from the X-Men Vintage Wave