Captain Marvel - A Waste of Plastic

jasonmccarley

I haven't been jazzed at all about the Captain Marvel figures. I get it that they have to put out waves for the movies, but I have always found Carol Danvers to be super boring. The coolest thing about her is that she had her powers stolen by Rogue. No one is buying this figures and for good reason. What figures has Hasbro made that you felt was a complete waste? I'm also looking at you Cottonmouth...

Cottonmouth? you mean the figure started Hasbro doing the Serpent Society, with now 6 members of? Not a waste of plastic. 

I don't like the term waste of plastic anyway. Just because there is something you don't like doesn't make it a waste of plastic. Someone will like it. 

Also why pick The Capt Marv line? Because you don't like the character. Fine. I can accept that but I don't want you turning into another SJW thread. Or another "these aren't selling". thread. they are pointless and only lead to arguements.

Well kinda yeah, in reality we only needed Green and Regular Cap Marvel, Bomber jacket and Binary versions are too much, they could have put additional Binary/Bomber jacket parts with regular Cap Marvel.  However I do NOT agree with statement that Carol isn't interesting, she has very interesting and even shocking comics story, which points my to my main complaint in regards of that wave: It is shame we didn't get any Comics based Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel figures, especially when people still want original Ms. Marvel that also works with Dark Avengers, Truly missed opportunity. I hope they still do 2 pack of Ms. Marvel vs Dark Ms. Marvel with bunch of alt heads. 

1449312-ms._marvel_042.jpg

3 hours ago, BrockL said:

Lol I agree dude waaay too many capt Marvel figures, like you dont need 3 different capt Marvel figures to make a wave!!! If I had to pick a wasteful figure it has to be that Thanos BAF and alot of the typical heroes in two packs.

That’s partly my point! Soooo many Captain Marvel figures... I guess I don’t mind a couple, a movie and a comic version. My point is that there are plenty of characters that people have been asking for and year after year we get multiple of the same character that just sits on the shelf at target. I have issues with more obscure unpopular character figures too. I have seen just about a million Cottonmouth figures collecting dust and it just makes me wish that other characters could have been made instead.

2 hours ago, SpiderS said:

Well kinda yeah, in reality we only needed Green and Regular Cap Marvel, Bomber jacket and Binary versions are too much, they could have put additional Binary/Bomber jacket parts with regular Cap Marvel.  However I do NOT agree with statement that Carol isn't interesting, she has very interesting and even shocking comics story, which points my to my main complaint in regards of that wave: It is shame we didn't get any Comics based Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel figures, especially when people still want original Ms. Marvel that also works with Dark Avengers, Truly missed opportunity. I hope they still do 2 pack of Ms. Marvel vs Dark Ms. Marvel with bunch of alt heads. 

1449312-ms._marvel_042.jpg

To each their own on whether they think Carol Danvers is interesting, I do appreciate that she led to characters like Rogue and Ms. Marvel (Kamala). I agree with you about the comic version of Captain Marvel though, way better costume with the sash thing she wore.

I think 4 Cap Marvel figs is overkill, but i would say that about just about any character that had 4 nearly identical figures being released around the same time.  That said, individually the figs seem pretty high quality for the price so i wouldn't characterize them as a waste of plastic at all.   

For me, i definitely want the 2 exclusives and will pick up one of the wave figures eventually when one of them drops in price sufficiently. Similarly, if the target exclusive ends up being discounted i'll end up getting a 2nd one to use as Minerva.  

Putting the bomber jacket look in was really dumb. It should have just been an exclusive. Even if for whatever reason a classic Ms. Marvel wasn't in the cards, even an update of the Odin wave Captain Marvel with a new head would've made sense. Or a retail release for that Monica Rambeau from the Toys R Us box set. 

7 hours ago, jasonmccarley said:

Like I said before I don't mind getting one figure for a movie character, but when there are several, and it is for a D-List hero like Carol Danvers and we don't get classic costumes, it tends to annoy me. I see them everywhere... maybe sales will pick up after the movie comes out, but they keep pushing this character like she is the equivalent to Wonder Woman or something, she is not, and I don't think she ever will be.

How popular a character is or is not within comics is more or less irrelevant at this point. We're in an era where Superman got his butt kicked at the box office by Rocket Raccoon and Groot. Comic sales mean nothing in relation to how successful a character can be on film or in wider pop culture.

Yeah, i mean with the Ragnarok wave they threw in not just mcu thor but also jane foster thor and young thor, so it seems weird that they couldn't throw in either a comic Carol, Mar-vell, or Monica figure.  Guess we should be happy we got Genis-vell, at least.  I suppose one difference is that by the time Ragnarok came out, everyone already knew who mcu Thor was from multiple movies... Carol is more of an unknown so maybe hasbro was more worried about people being confused over multiple captain marvels, especially for casuals who might be buying their first figure.   I dunno. Its certainly understandable that target and WM both wanted exclusive versions, but its hard to get why they threw 2 carol figs into the wave itself. Its OK though with that goofy BAF (imo)  I'm just cherry picking the wave anyhow.

On 2/28/2019 at 8:50 PM, tarot said:

Cottonmouth? you mean the figure started Hasbro doing the Serpent Society, with now 6 members of? Not a waste of plastic. 

I don't like the term waste of plastic anyway. Just because there is something you don't like doesn't make it a waste of plastic. Someone will like it. 

Also why pick The Capt Marv line? Because you don't like the character. Fine. I can accept that but I don't want you turning into another SJW thread. Or another "these aren't selling". thread. they are pointless and only lead to arguements.

Agreed 100% we all like things (ok most of us probably do) that are completely unappealing figures to others........shoot, I was legit excited for a Night Thrasher figure, how people in the world can write THAT sentence?! lol.......it's delightful to live in a time when your favorite MCU character has a real chance to be made into a quality figure sooner or later.

I am gonna have to go with the thought this wave being pretty weak overall. I thought the quality on the MCU ones were not as good as many of their recent MCU waves. I like the Grey Gargoyle figure but I think something like a updated comic Mar-Vel would have been better than Genis-Vel or even better a Quasar figure would have been really cool.

That's the problem with Hasbro and first movie waves. They never put their A-game into them. Look at GOTG Groot wave, Ant-man, Black Panther, dr. Strange etc. Not of them were even good wave just alright waves. 

And there is a good reason for that. Insurance. It's to insure that if the movie flops (hasn't happened yet) they won't lose too much. If the movie does well and get a sequel, the next movie wave will be more focused and have a better selection. The only exception to this was Ant-man and The Wasp but that was only because it came out a just over a month after Infinity war and Hasbro couldn't afford another wave on top of all they had released that year alone. 

LMAO I'll need to screenshot this thread.

5 hours ago, tarot said:

That's the problem with Hasbro and first movie waves. They never put their A-game into them. Look at GOTG Groot wave, Ant-man, Black Panther, dr. Strange etc. Not of them were even good wave just alright waves. 

And there is a good reason for that. Insurance. It's to insure that if the movie flops (hasn't happened yet) they won't lose too much. If the movie does well and get a sequel, the next movie wave will be more focused and have a better selection. The only exception to this was Ant-man and The Wasp but that was only because it came out a just over a month after Infinity war and Hasbro couldn't afford another wave on top of all they had released that year alone. 

I assumed it was also because the first Ant-Man wave sold very poorly. The Ant-Man and Wasp figures for IW didn't move very well either. They seem to be kinda the short straw of the New Avengers characters, unfortunately.

Nothing about Tigra's absence strikes me as particularly conspiratorial. She's had as many figures as most C-list Avengers and X-Men around her general level of popularity, particularly one who likely requires new tooling and sculpt work (since the previous toy with the painted on fur looked pretty crappy). It took what, a decade before they finally did a new Black Knight figure for Infinity War? We'll probably get a new Tigra when they finally make a furry female character body for someone more popular like Wolfsbane. Her and Feral will probably be recycled from it.

1 hour ago, Dodge76 said:

I would take them in their modest looks I suppose. I really would like to have a classic Avengers line up on my shelf. Kazaar and Shanna would make great exclusives either as a two pack or as Walgreens exclusives. Tigra keep hoping to see her pop up in an Avengers line or a vintage line.

There was a Savage Land SDCC box set in 2008

5 hours ago, watanabefan said:

Nothing about Tigra's absence strikes me as particularly conspiratorial. She's had as many figures as most C-list Avengers and X-Men around her general level of popularity, particularly one who likely requires new tooling and sculpt work (since the previous toy with the painted on fur looked pretty crappy). It took what, a decade before they finally did a new Black Knight figure for Infinity War? We'll probably get a new Tigra when they finally make a furry female character body for someone more popular like Wolfsbane. Her and Feral will probably be recycled from it.

I tend to agree with this.  Yes, Tigra would most likely be more "covered up" if she gets a new figure, but i suspect the reason we haven't gotten one yet is that it would require some new tooling /sculpting for the furry bits, combined with the relatively small number of comic-based avengers we get each year (vintage wave 2 aside).  I'd still like a new version, even without the bikini costume... the old version's artic is pretty wonky and it doesn't scale well with more recent MLs imo.  Hopefully she would come with both a snarling/growling head and a pretty,smiling head as i don't want an ugly Tigra lol.

Shanna would probably get a less revealing costume as well were hasbro to make another figure of her. She's such a minor character that i doubt she's on their radar, at least until such time as they get into the savage land in one of the mcu films (which would be AWESOME)

I think this wave is as good as either black panther wave. That was a great movie so we only complain a little about having to buy 4 movie black panthers for build a figures over the years. At least with captain marvel we only have to buy one. If the movie is great we will gladly buy the other 3 if not that bomber jacket is still pretty awesome im sure we could all find a use for that.