Captain Marvel - A Waste of Plastic

jasonmccarley

1 hour ago, TaneleerTivan said:

I think this wave is as good as either black panther wave. That was a great movie so we only complain a little about having to buy 4 movie black panthers for build a figures over the years. At least with captain marvel we only have to buy one. If the movie is great we will gladly buy the other 3 if not that bomber jacket is still pretty awesome im sure we could all find a use for that. 

The Cap Marvel wave is fine,  just kind of oddball to have 2 carols and the inclusion of Grey Gargoyle is pretty random.  I think BP wave 2 has the CM wave beat, aside from having 2 T'Challa figs its a pretty awesome wave imo.  And even with  BP wave 1, at least with the comic figs you got 2 pretty important characters in Namor and Black Bolt, even if they are not the most exciting figures.  Grey Gargoyle is far less of a major character and even with Genis-vell they went with a relatively obscure look for the character rather than his more well-known/popular one (altho he still looks good).  Replace Grey Gargoyle and/or one of the Carols with characters like Quasar,  Super-skrull, Moonstone, comic Ronan (they can just tweak the old version like they did with Ragnarok Ares), and i think people's enthusiasm about this wave would increase quite a bit.  Or  they could've done one of the other Kree Starforce members if they need to replace Carol with an mcu rather than comic figure. 

1 hour ago, TaneleerTivan said:

If I had to have a least favorite wave it would probably be the first infinity war wave. A baf that I had to rebuy iron spider and iron man that we will have to rebuy and a Captain America that I can only hope we get a do over on. I feel like I wasted the most money on that wave

I agree, IW wave 1 was the weakest wave of 2018 imo.  The comic figures were pretty much fine although again not exactly major characters affiliated with the avengers except maybe Taskmaster, but the mcu figs had problems as you noted. 

The second Black Panther wave had the similar issue of asking us to buy two T'Challas, but that's likely because most of the tooling budget went to the BAF and then Killmonger and Klaue. I'm not sure if they held back Shuri for the Endgame wave because she wasn't ready yet or just wasn't financially feasible.

You'd think there was some cheap comic character they could've cobbled together in the meantime. White Tiger wouldn't have been hard to make at all.

BLAPWAK2016006-COV.jpg?auto=format&lossl

7 hours ago, tarot said:

I have delete all the post that are basically arguments on something that this thread is not about. 

I'll say it again. This is a forum about Toys that we enjoy. Keep your political and SJW to out of this. Stick to the subject.

Thank you, and sorry I got carried away.

I think I might change my vote to the second GotGvol2 wave... I couldn't care less for the comic characters, but it gave me pretty much definitive versions for most of the Guardians and all the new tooling for most of the MCU figures was amazing.

5 hours ago, leokearon said:

After seeing the Starfoce Carol review, I wish that was included in the CM wave instead of the bomber jacket version.

I understand that the reuse factor allows them to pump out another variant of CM but it would've been cool if the main CM was combined with the Bomber Jacket version with swappable arms. Starforce Carol as an exclusive fits pretty well IMO and she's loaded with stuff and if Bomber CM is replaced it needs to be someone with minimal stuff to include the BAF pat. My vote would go to getting a Skrull whether it's movie or a comic version.

It should be noted that alot of companies (Not just Hasbro) make tons of figures for a wave, not just what is officially announced. However, they have to make the harsh descision on what should be in a wave and what shouldn't be. Thus the reason I think the like of M'Baku, Killmonger and other were originally made for the first wave but got rejected by some Marketing team.

This can be seen when leaks get reveals (which is also another factor in decide what should be in a wave as they had to change it). If you remember before, during the Civil War line King Cobra and Tigra were supposed to be in that line but got changed out. Same with the MCU Ancient One of the Dr. Strange wave.

18 hours ago, watanabefan said:

You'd think there was some cheap comic character they could've cobbled together in the meantime. White Tiger wouldn't have been hard to make at all.

I think it was a very deliberate choice on Hasbro's part to do an all-mcu wave, perhaps testing the market to see how it would go over.  I remember hasbro doing a survey last year which suggested options like having no BAF,  having great likenesses for a higher price point for less-great likenesses for a lower price point, etc.   Although i think without all the re-use an all-mcu wave would either have to cut the BAF to keep the price at $20 or raise the price to $25 or something (just speculation on my part, of course).  I think Hasbro is (justifiably) attached to the BAF model since it helps convince people to buy a whole wave including figs they might pass by otherwise.  But then there are rumors that the x-force wave has no BAF so perhaps they are continuing to experiment with wave structures (altho honestly i think it will turn out Wendigo is the BAF for that wave)

Even though I didn't care for the CM figures, the figures themselves look good, as far as the likeness goes. Maybe CM becomes this huge phenom in the same way that BP did. It makes since for Hasbro to take a chance on it, especially since it seems like she will also be a prominent character in End Game as well. Tarot made a great point too, don't know if it was in this thread, but the pattern has always been to release a bunch of movie figures and then we get the comic variants in future waves. It's not totally out of question that they may give us a classic Captain Marvel and maybe even a Marvell. What I'd like to see in the next phase for the MCU is more space stuff. Maybe Nova, and FF, and X-Men with the Shi'ar, and Guardians can all be part of a space epic.

6 hours ago, tarot said:
4 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

I think it was a very deliberate choice on Hasbro's part to do an all-mcu wave, perhaps testing the market to see how it would go over.  I remember hasbro doing a survey last year which suggested options like having no BAF,  having great likenesses for a higher price point for less-great likenesses for a lower price point, etc.   Although i think without all the re-use an all-mcu wave would either have to cut the BAF to keep the price at $20 or raise the price to $25 or something (just speculation on my part, of course).  I think Hasbro is (justifiably) attached to the BAF model since it helps convince people to buy a whole wave including figs they might pass by otherwise.  But then there are rumors that the x-force wave has no BAF so perhaps they are continuing to experiment with wave structures (altho honestly i think it will turn out Wendigo is the BAF for that wave)

It should be noted that alot of companies (Not just Hasbro) make tons of figures for a wave, not just what is officially announced. However, they have to make the harsh descision on what should be in a wave and what shouldn't be. Thus the reason I think the like of M'Baku, Killmonger and other were originally made for the first wave but got rejected by some Marketing team.

This can be seen when leaks get reveals (which is also another factor in decide what should be in a wave as they had to change it). If you remember before, during the Civil War line King Cobra and Tigra were supposed to be in that line but got changed out. Same with the MCU Ancient One of the Dr. Strange wave.

Very true.

I recall there were also several early reports that Skurge was in the Ragnarok wave (even from some fairly reputable leaks that got literally everyone else in that series correct).

6 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

I don't have a problem with all movie waves, even if the forego the BAF to offset the costs of pretty much having to do all new sculpts per figure. M'Baku was not so big that he needed a BAF, but I think he just got the call by default cuz he was the largest figure. Additionally, I think the strong sales of the 10 years Hulk vs. Hulkbuster 2 pack (I never was able to get my hands on one) proves that people are willing to pay a premium price for the larger figures in the MCU line. I think the thing retailed for $70, making them $35 each. Beats the hell outta paying $100 for a 3 times repainted Sentinel and a redeco'd Old Man Logan. I think they woulda done CM as a full movie wave, but for lack of characters in a new franchise. As it is, the comic figures seem like just an afterthought in these movie heavy waves. Seriously, I don't think throwing us a few little scraps like Genis-Vell and Grey Gargoyle convinced anyone from the non-MCU crowd to do anything more than cherry pick the wave. Im not non-MCU per se, and I do pick up most new characters that come out, but I don't need a Cap America, Iron Man or Star Lord in EVERY MCU wave. On the flip side I would expect fair treatment in the all comic lines and expect the fact that there is so much re-use in those lines the BAF incentive would stay intact. And for every MCU line there should be at least one comic based line. Preferably multiples, just fr the sheer fact that there's such a vast backlog of source material to work with. Plus the the profit that can be made from waves that can re-use existing molds so often would only help to eleviate some of the costs to do all unique sculpts for the movie waves.

17 hours ago, Venenor said:

I understand that the reuse factor allows them to pump out another variant of CM but it would've been cool if the main CM was combined with the Bomber Jacket version with swappable arms. Starforce Carol as an exclusive fits pretty well IMO and she's loaded with stuff and if Bomber CM is replaced it needs to be someone with minimal stuff to include the BAF pat. My vote would go to getting a Skrull whether it's movie or a comic version.

Yeah, they should have merged the two wave Carols together.

13 hours ago, monron999 said:

I don't have a problem with all movie waves, even if the forego the BAF to offset the costs of pretty much having to do all new sculpts per figure. M'Baku was not so big that he needed a BAF, but I think he just got the call by default cuz he was the largest figure. Additionally, I think the strong sales of the 10 years Hulk vs. Hulkbuster 2 pack (I never was able to get my hands on one) proves that people are willing to pay a premium price for the larger figures in the MCU line. I think the thing retailed for $70, making them $35 each. Beats the hell outta paying $100 for a 3 times repainted Sentinel and a redeco'd Old Man Logan. I think they woulda done CM as a full movie wave, but for lack of characters in a new franchise. As it is, the comic figures seem like just an afterthought in these movie heavy waves. Seriously, I don't think throwing us a few little scraps like Genis-Vell and Grey Gargoyle convinced anyone from the non-MCU crowd to do anything more than cherry pick the wave. Im not non-MCU per se, and I do pick up most new characters that come out, but I don't need a Cap America, Iron Man or Star Lord in EVERY MCU wave. On the flip side I would expect fair treatment in the all comic lines and expect the fact that there is so much re-use in those lines the BAF incentive would stay intact. And for every MCU line there should be at least one comic based line. Preferably multiples, just fr the sheer fact that there's such a vast backlog of source material to work with. Plus the the profit that can be made from waves that can re-use existing molds so often would only help to eleviate some of the costs to do all unique sculpts for the movie waves.

I agree with most of this.  I liked getting the Cull BAF but i'd rather hasbro just forgo a BAF iin mcu waves f its gonna be 'regular-sized' like Mantis, Okoye, and (to an extent) M'Baku, just charge me a few more bucks for the figs in the wave and i can cherry pick. (this would also solve the problem of not wanting to buy a Cap or Star-lord in every wave).  I do think this would hurt Hasbro's bottom line as they of course want us to buy the whole wave .  I also agree that it seems like the x- and spider-waves get more figures with new parts/tooling involved than comic figs in the mcu waves (makes sense since the new parts/tooling are going to the mcu figs in those waves instead)  and also that with the mcu waves the comic characters seem to be chosen based as much on who can be cobbled together with reused parts rather than whether the character has a strong association to the wave's theme. Still, i was pretty happy with 2018's mcu wave comic characters despite all this so i guess i'm part of the problem lol. I do like Hasbro re-releasing sdcc exclusives to make them easier for most of us to get.

As far as that Hulkbuster 2-pack, went to my local Target yesterday and they had a bunch in stock ,still at full price.  I think some of it is Target being stubborn about marking that set down, i mean its a cool 2-pack but so were the other 10th anniv sets and they were all marked down at one point or another.

I do wonder if the big retailers like WM, Target would carry comic Avengers waves and the like.  Even the spidey waves seem to only show up randomly in mine (although amazingly my WM did get the kingpin wave in a couple of days ago), and they don't seem to be carrying vintage wave 2 at all, so I wonder if an avengers wave would be something we would only be able to find at Gamestop, comic stores, or online. Of course, that's largely based on my anecdotal experience so maybe i'm overestimating how much of an issue this would be.

5 hours ago, monron999 said:

Ya, that was a total screw job. Cap didn't come with a BAF part anyway. Shoulda just loaded it with the swap parts and dumped the 2nd Cap altogether.

Indeed, and just swap the BAF parts between the 6 figures, like give Carol the head and GG the arm. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

Now that people have seen the movie, I am seeing them be bought a little more frequently from my surrounding stores. Maybe we will see the sales pick up.  I am having a hard time finding a Nick Fury though, he seems to be flying off the shelves.

That's generally the case with Movie lines, it is hard to get excited about characters you don't know.

Still after seeing the movie, the Bomber Carol is even lamer given it's a look she has for about 1 scene

46 minutes ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

With extra arms?  I don't think Hasbro has done that yet have they?  I know that Juggs in the 80th line is rumored to come with them but he would be the first, and he was a BAF so I can see how that would work.  

Marvel legends Nico had an extra arm.

The Captain Marvel movie wave is pretty much a very lame wave with multiple figures of the same character & a phoned in BAF that looks like it actually got pulled from the Marvel kiddie based line & tossed in the wave as a last minute decision. Movie really isn't doing as great as some of you are making it out to be & I'll be giving it a redbox rental as $1.50 is bout as much as I'll waste on it. Just got Grey Gargoyle for my Zemo led Master of evil team. Bout the best figure in that weak wave imo.  How some of you want a "bomber jacket" version of her is beyond me. What's so special bout that?  This was a perfect wave to have given us classic comic versions of Ms Marvel, Quasar, Super Skrull, Starfox, not multiple versions of the same character. Oh well, Hasbro saved me a ton of $$ for those great 80th anniv comic based figs.