Captain Marvel - A Waste of Plastic

jasonmccarley

13 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

The Captain Marvel movie wave is pretty much a very lame wave with multiple figures of the same character & a phoned in BAF that looks like it actually got pulled from the Marvel kiddie based line & tossed in the wave as a last minute decision. Movie really isn't doing as great as some of you are making it out to be & I'll be giving it a redbox rental as $1.50 is bout as much as I'll waste on it. Just got Grey Gargoyle for my Zemo led Master of evil team. Bout the best figure in that weak wave imo.  How some of you want a "bomber jacket" version of her is beyond me. What's so special bout that?  This was a perfect wave to have given us classic comic versions of Ms Marvel, Quasar, Super Skrull, Starfox, not multiple versions of the same character. Oh well, Hasbro saved me a ton of $$ for those great 80th anniv comic based figs.

Most of the wave choices makes sense, we have four main characters, a comic character that has to do with Captain marvel and a BAF which is to do with the Kree. The only oddities are the bomber Carol and Grey Gargoyle (Since he isn't really a Carol foe)

15 hours ago, ADour said:

Keep telling yourself that, buddy.

lol.jpg

It helps when Disney itself is buying up most of the tix. It's 2nd week numbers took a huge plunge as well. Also read many reviews by actual comic fans of Captain Marvel  that saw the movie & not reviewers that only know of the MCU & never heard of CM, & they had very negative things to say about the movie. I tend to take what actual Marvel fans with actual knowledge of the history of the character say over those of non Marvel fans & those that only know about the past decade of MCU movies.

3 hours ago, leokearon said:

Most of the wave choices makes sense, we have four main characters, a comic character that has to do with Captain marvel and a BAF which is to do with the Kree. The only oddities are the bomber Carol and Grey Gargoyle (Since he isn't really a Carol foe)

Maybe not, but they did throw down back when she was an Avenger during the good ol days of comics.

Grey Gargoyle vs Ms Marvel.jpg

3 hours ago, Gmen4ever said:

It helps when Disney itself is buying up most of the tix. 

Yeah, I guess Disney just forgot to do that with A Wrinkle in Time. Or Solo. Or The Nutcracker. Or the last Pirates of the Caribbean. Or Tomorrowland. Or Mary Poppins Returns. Or really any recent movie they've done that isn't Marvel, Star Wars or a remake of a popular 90s animated flick. Or hell, Ant-Man and the Wasp from this same franchise.

It's 2nd week numbers took a huge plunge as well.

They actually didn't.

"In fact, only six of the 20 other MCU films have featured a smaller drop.

Black Panther has the smallest drop of the shared cinematic universe, dropping just 44% between first and second weekends. Between the Ryan Coogler-helmed movie and Captain Marvel are Thor (47.2%), Iron Man (48.1%), Doctor Strange (49.5%), The Avengers (50.3%), and Thor: Ragnarok (53.5%). Believe it or not, Spider-Man's first solo flick set in the universe (Spider-Man: Homecoming) features the biggest drop between the first two weekends, with a whopping 62.2% decrease after its opening weekend."

So it had the same second week decrease as notorious flop Avengers: Infinity War. Lol.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:03 AM, Gmen4ever said:

It helps when Disney itself is buying up most of the tix. It's 2nd week numbers took a huge plunge as well. Also read many reviews by actual comic fans of Captain Marvel  that saw the movie & not reviewers that only know of the MCU & never heard of CM, & they had very negative things to say about the movie. I tend to take what actual Marvel fans with actual knowledge of the history of the character say over those of non Marvel fans & those that only know about the past decade of MCU movies.

Like watanabefan pointed out, all movies have a relatively big drop after the second weekend. And Captain Marvel's was 55%, which happens to be one of the smallest decreases of any MCU movie.

I'm sorry but I can't take seriously somebody that claims Disney buys tickets for their own movie. That's next-level "shoving your head in the sand" tactics.

Also, I happen to be an actual Marvel fan (whatever that's supposed to amount for) and I really liked the movie. It wasn't perfect, but it was a blast.

Before we go into another arguement thread that will make me delete a load of post, I just want to point out that the term "Actual Marvel Fan" is not accepted as an counterpoint in this forum. We all got into Marvel in various ways, via the comic, cartoons, games, figure or Movie. There is no one true form of actual Marvel Fan so if anyone uses that as an argument, they will be given a warning.

Got Talos off amazon when he was briefly marked down to $15.  Probably my favorite character from the movie although they could've given him a few accessories (a half transforming head would've been nice).   Now that i have one piece of Kree Sentry i'll probably start obsessing about completing him though lol.   I would say this wave is kind of in the middle so far in 2019 -  i like it more than the kingpin wave but less than m'baku wave... but to be fair none of these waves is a homerun with me. 

If it were up to me, i'd replace Kree Sentry with a Super-skrull BAF with swappable arms (like the Sandman or Absorbing man BAFs).  I'd swap out Carbomb  for one of the following: Moonstone, Quasar (either Wendell or Phyla-vell), Moondragon, comic Ronan,  Mar-vell,  Ms. Marvel.  Personally i' m not a huge fan of getting Fury in a wave of cosmic characters but fine.  Grey Gargoyle is an odd inclusion but fine.  I do like Genis-vell, Yon-Rogg, Talos, and the other mcu Captain Marvel figure in the wave. 

20 hours ago, tarot said:

Before we go into another arguement thread that will make me delete a load of post, I just want to point out that the term "Actual Marvel Fan" is not accepted as an counterpoint in this forum. We all got into Marvel in various ways, via the comic, cartoons, games, figure or Movie. There is no one true form of actual Marvel Fan so if anyone uses that as an argument, they will be given a warning.

Yeah exactly. What makes someone a fan? How long they’ve been a fan? What medium they started out in the fandom? Or how much they truly and genuinely enjoy something? For me it’s the latter. 

I never understood people trying to say I’m a better fan than you are or what not. Because they watch more movies or read more comics. We’re all just here to have fun right? Let’s just be glad we have a place for fans to get together. 

11 minutes ago, Falls22 said:

Yeah exactly. What makes someone a fan? How long they’ve been a fan? What medium they started out in the fandom? Or how much they truly and genuinely enjoy something? For me it’s the latter. 

I never understood people trying to say I’m a better fan than you are or what not. Because they watch more movies or read more comics. We’re all just here to have fun right? Let’s just be glad we have a place for fans to get together. 

You're absolutely right. We ARE all here to have fun. I, myself have never used the term "actual Marvel fan", but I DO make the distinction between "Marvel & "MCU" fan (I say "Marvel instead of "comic"). I never come off trying to say Marvel (or comic) fans are "better" or deserving of some form of entitlement, but I DO call out those MCU fans that think THEY do.  Here's the problem (I have) ; If we're ALL here to "have fun", then why is it we read here all the time "They should just make the entire wave movie figures" or "Why isn't the entire wave movie figures?" Yes every once in the while we may read some "Marvel fan" saying that in reverse, but that person is quickly told if that were the case, the line probably would've gone under years ago, and this is usually said BY fellow Marvel fans. It's the MCU fans that usually show a lack of respect for the plain and simple facts; there are more than just MCU fans trying to "have fun" for one. 2nd ( and most important) if there were no Marvel characters, there wouldn't even be any Actors in Cos...errr MCU characters. This goes beyond forums. There are several YouTubers who review ML figs and ALWAYS say "I'm not interested in the comic figures" or "They should just make the waves entirely movie figures". The other thing that gets on "Marvel" fans' nerves is the incessant whining about there never being enough MCU figures when the fact is Hasbro has increased the number of MCU figures per wave incrementally every year for the past 3 to 4. My problem is YES, we're all here to have fun, but one faction seemingly doesn't care (or more importantly respect) about the other. I don't have to say which one I'm talking about. 

PS: And before someone says (in whiny voice) "the comic fans do that too" , I already covered that. It's NOT an opening to go tit for tat.

40 minutes ago, Falls22 said:

Exactly. Some people take all this stuff way too seriously.

38 minutes ago, leokearon said:

Shame they didn't add Comic Mar-Vell, with maybe alt Genis-Vell head

I just think it's weird all around that there wasn't a more classic, iconic Ms Marvel and Mar-Vell released alongside the wave and exclusives. Would've sworn we'd get either by now. But the year isn't over so I'm still hopeful. I mean.... it's gotta happen! Maybe SDCC.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:42 AM, jasonmccarley said:

That’s partly my point! Soooo many Captain Marvel figures... I guess I don’t mind a couple, a movie and a comic version. My point is that there are plenty of characters that people have been asking for and year after year we get multiple of the same character that just sits on the shelf at target. I have issues with more obscure unpopular character figures too. I have seen just about a million Cottonmouth figures collecting dust and it just makes me wish that other characters could have been made instead.

The character selection for this wave was just lackluster altogether. The movie figs were just ok, the normal Captain Marvel being my personal favorite, and Talos left much to be desired. I don’t even remember if Cap wore the bomber jacket with her suit on in the film. All the other captain marvel figures, except for the Starforce one due to its new paint job, are literally the same figure with new accessories. I know it’s a stretch but it would have been better (and probably cheaper too) if she just came packaged with all of those various accessories like her binary powers and the jacket. That way the roster could still be filled with better characters (like ahem an original Ms Marvel or comic Mar-Vell). Also wasn’t a fan of the Kree sentry, kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel with that idea in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, Double0Joe27 said:

The character selection for this wave was just lackluster altogether. The movie figs were just ok, the normal Captain Marvel being my personal favorite, and Talos left much to be desired. I don’t even remember if Cap wore the bomber jacket with her suit on in the film. All the other captain marvel figures, except for the Starforce one due to its new paint job, are literally the same figure with new accessories. I know it’s a stretch but it would have been better (and probably cheaper too) if she just came packaged with all of those various accessories like her binary powers and the jacket. That way the roster could still be filled with better characters (like ahem an original Ms Marvel or comic Mar-Vell). Also wasn’t a fan of the Kree sentry, kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel with that idea in my opinion. 

The Kree Sentry isn't scrapping the bottom of the barrel, given it was what introduced us to the Kree and they have fought numerous heroes. Doomsday Man would have been scrapping the bottom of the barrel

20 hours ago, Rukkdeez said:

You're absolutely right. We ARE all here to have fun. I, myself have never used the term "actual Marvel fan", but I DO make the distinction between "Marvel & "MCU" fan (I say "Marvel instead of "comic"). I never come off trying to say Marvel (or comic) fans are "better" or deserving of some form of entitlement, but I DO call out those MCU fans that think THEY do.  Here's the problem (I have) ; If we're ALL here to "have fun", then why is it we read here all the time "They should just make the entire wave movie figures" or "Why isn't the entire wave movie figures?" Yes every once in the while we may read some "Marvel fan" saying that in reverse, but that person is quickly told if that were the case, the line probably would've gone under years ago, and this is usually said BY fellow Marvel fans. It's the MCU fans that usually show a lack of respect for the plain and simple facts; there are more than just MCU fans trying to "have fun" for one. 2nd ( and most important) if there were no Marvel characters, there wouldn't even be any Actors in Cos...errr MCU characters. This goes beyond forums. There are several YouTubers who review ML figs and ALWAYS say "I'm not interested in the comic figures" or "They should just make the waves entirely movie figures". The other thing that gets on "Marvel" fans' nerves is the incessant whining about there never being enough MCU figures when the fact is Hasbro has increased the number of MCU figures per wave incrementally every year for the past 3 to 4. My problem is YES, we're all here to have fun, but one faction seemingly doesn't care (or more importantly respect) about the other. I don't have to say which one I'm talking about. 

PS: And before someone says (in whiny voice) "the comic fans do that too" , I already covered that. It's NOT an opening to go tit for tat.

I would venture to say, the fact that they're actually doing a Luis figure pretty much illustrates the fact that MCU figures get more than ample representation in ML. For some reason, until last year Yellowjacket and Crossbones were inexplicably absent but they fixed that as well. In fact, the only glaring ommision I can see from the ML MCU universe line up is Destoyer which comes from the Thor movies, which have a history of getting ignored anyway. Also, in would say it's a shame they haven't done the Collector yet, but they already did his creepy, wormy pedo brother.

3 hours ago, monron999 said:

I would venture to say, the fact that they're actually doing a Luis figure pretty much illustrates the fact that MCU figures get more than ample representation in ML. For some reason, until last year Yellowjacket and Crossbones were inexplicably absent but they fixed that as well. In fact, the only glaring ommision I can see from the ML MCU universe line up is Destoyer which comes from the Thor movies, which have a history of getting ignored anyway. Also, in would say it's a shame they haven't done the Collector yet, but they already did his creepy, wormy pedo brother.

I don't collect MCU, but I would love a Jeff Bridges as Obidiah Stane figure (for obvious reasons).

16 minutes ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

I don't collect MCU, but I would love a Jeff Bridges as Obidiah Stane figure (for obvious reasons).

They've done an Iron Monger figure before but an actual Jeff Bridges figure my guess would run into problems due to likeness rights. I think the same goes for figures based on other mega stars like Michael Douglas and Robert Redford and such.

I would assume the price to pay for some such rights would probably exceed the value of making the actual "normal" figures they would be required for. I mean a Tony Stark figure is one thing but I'm not too optimistic about how well an MCU Obediah Stane, Aldridge Killian, Alexander Pierce, Justin Hammer or Hank Pym would do outside the non collector fan base. I can't imagine some kid asking his parents for one of these figures, nor could I imagine many of those parents breaking down and schilling out $20+ for some Plain Jane dude in a suit. Personally I'd love a Sam Rockwell (guy's freakin' hilarious) Justin Hammer and I would love a Hank Pym to go with my Tony Stark, even though the time line between the 2 long time frienemies is so messed up in the MCU, but that's pretty much delving into collector only territory.

32 minutes ago, JayC said:

They've done an Iron Monger figure before but an actual Jeff Bridges figure my guess would run into problems due to likeness rights. I think the same goes for figures based on other mega stars like Michael Douglas and Robert Redford and such.

The 2008 line did include a version of Iron Monger with a Jeff Bridges head. It was meh in terms of quality but you can still tell it's supposed to be Jeff Bridges.

I figure the contracts include terms about use of likeness that should allow Marvel Studios to use the actors' faces without much issue. I figure that's why we got stuff like the Hot Toys Whiplash with a Mickey Rourke likeness five years after Iron Man 2, with Rourke having left dissatisfied with the studio (or maybe he just greenlit the product for the extra cash that comes from using his likeness).

31 minutes ago, ADour said:

The 2008 line did include a version of Iron Monger with a Jeff Bridges head. It was meh in terms of quality but you can still tell it's supposed to be Jeff Bridges.

I figure the contracts include terms about use of likeness that should allow Marvel Studios to use the actors' faces without much issue. I figure that's why we got stuff like the Hot Toys Whiplash with a Mickey Rourke likeness five years after Iron Man 2, with Rourke having left dissatisfied with the studio (or maybe he just greenlit the product for the extra cash that comes from using his likeness).

Yeah, Jeff is pretty easy going too.  I wonder if he has even been approached for something like that.  He doesn't strike me as a guy that would shut something like that down.