Captain Marvel - A Waste of Plastic

jasonmccarley

31 minutes ago, ADour said:

The 2008 line did include a version of Iron Monger with a Jeff Bridges head. It was meh in terms of quality but you can still tell it's supposed to be Jeff Bridges.

I figure the contracts include terms about use of likeness that should allow Marvel Studios to use the actors' faces without much issue. I figure that's why we got stuff like the Hot Toys Whiplash with a Mickey Rourke likeness five years after Iron Man 2, with Rourke having left dissatisfied with the studio (or maybe he just greenlit the product for the extra cash that comes from using his likeness).

It probably varies and obviously I don't know for sure but my guess is the bigger actors have enough pull they can maintain their individual likeness rights when they negotiate their contracts. That Hasbro figure didnt really look much like Bridges so they probably could get away with it then but now with the scanning tech they use I doubt that would be the case. As for Hot Toys they often seem to be able to get actor likeness rights where others fail. The Jack Nickolson Joker is a perfect example of that.

On 3/18/2019 at 3:44 PM, ADour said:

Keep telling yourself that, buddy.

lol.jpg

Well I don't know the exact numbers but I can tell you there's some loose math going on there. I work for a fairly large company who belongs to a fairly large conglomerate (think aviation and space) and Disney is doing a major promotion with those companies, basically giving us employees free tickets to that movie and that movie ONLY and also offering discounts for guests and groups. For the 15 years I've worked there they've never given us free anything and any discounted tickets we get are for for general admissions to any movie. I've never seen anything like it before. That means they (Disney) are absorbing 100 percent of the cost of the free tickets and subsidizing the cost of the discounts. I have a friend who is the manager of one of the larger theatres in town and he said they are running this promotion with several companies in town and even certain government facilities. On the books the theatre counts it as revenue and in turn it's reported as earnings regardless of whatever the parent company accrued in losses. Of course I saw it, I mean who doesn't like "free", and i didn't care for it. I just hate that they changed everything about the character and the history of every single thing that led up to her becoming Captain Marvel. They basically made a new character and slapped the Cap Marvel tag on it. Now, before anyone blows a gasket and starts to condemn me for having an opinion, let me just present a simple honest question. Do you think the movie woulda been better if they followed the real backstory a little more closely......? Heh?

1 hour ago, monron999 said:

Do you think the movie woulda been better if they followed the real backstory a little more closely......? Heh?

DISCLAIMER: I haven’t seen the movie yet.  Not out of protest, I just have young kids and going to the movies is tough and usually only happens once every three months or so.

But wasn’t the story from the revamped Captain Marvel comics that came out a couple of years ago?  I think that some creative liberties unfortunately need to be taken when adapting to film nowadays simply due to the fact that it has to feel fresh and honestly some of it probably needed to be updated for our current times.  Some of the most entertaining comic stories of yesteryear simply don’t hold up to what would make a compelling story to mass audiences these days.  As fans, yes we would love to see something close to the source, but there are a lot more casual moviegoers out there than diehard marvel fans and Disney has to pander to them to make a profit.  I’m excited to see the movie at some point, if nothing else for the historical significance.  I didn’t love the story or effects in Wonder Woman, but it was a fun ride.  I imagine this will at least live up to that.  Plus, I’ll watch any Sam Jackson movie at least once.

3 minutes ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

DISCLAIMER: I haven’t seen the movie yet.  Not out of protest, I just have young kids and going to the movies is tough and usually only happens once every three months or so.

But wasn’t the story from the revamped Captain Marvel comics that came out a couple of years ago?  I think that some creative liberties unfortunately need to be taken when adapting to film nowadays simply due to the fact that it has to feel fresh and honestly some of it probably needed to be updated for our current times.  Some of the most entertaining comic stories of yesteryear simply don’t hold up to what would make a compelling story to mass audiences these days.  As fans, yes we would love to see something close to the source, but there are a lot more casual moviegoers out there than diehard marvel fans and Disney has to pander to them to make a profit.  I’m excited to see the movie at some point, if nothing else for the historical significance.  I didn’t love the story or effects in Wonder Woman, but it was a fun ride.  I imagine this will at least live up to that.  Plus, I’ll watch any Sam Jackson movie at least once.

Yes I agree, the current movies do need a bit of change to be more progressive and fresh for new fans. If you'll recall, Captain America did this very well without completely annihilating the origin story. Hope I'm not ruining anything but there is essentially nothing in this movie that has anything to do with Cap Marvel's origin story. Mar-Vell was totally short changed in his/her relevance in the history of the character as was Monica Rambeau as the first and original Earthling and woman to carry the Captain Marvel moniker. Not only did they make changes for modern day consumption, but they completely erased large and important parts of the character's back story. And to what end? Was it actually done to make the story better? The question I was left with afterward was "did these radical changes make the story better or worse?" And in all fairness, in my opinion, it did not improve apon the traditional origin story.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:23 PM, monron999 said:

Yes I agree, the current movies do need a bit of change to be more progressive and fresh for new fans. If you'll recall, Captain America did this very well without completely annihilating the origin story. Hope I'm not ruining anything but there is essentially nothing in this movie that has anything to do with Cap Marvel's origin story. Mar-Vell was totally short changed in his/her relevance in the history of the character as was Monica Rambeau as the first and original Earthling and woman to carry the Captain Marvel moniker. Not only did they make changes for modern day consumption, but they completely erased large and important parts of the character's back story. And to what end? Was it actually done to make the story better? The question I was left with afterward was "did these radical changes make the story better or worse?" And in all fairness, in my opinion, it did not improve apon the traditional origin story.

Finally saw the movie this weekend.  I hear where you are coming from, but I really enjoyed it.  I think the new direction is really intriguing.  I am also really excited that my daughter has pretty powerful new favorite MCU heroine!