Aldryff

Hasbro has surprised me quite a few times since taking over. Spending over 100 dollars to complete a wave was not something I ever sought out to do yet here I am head over heels for the Apocalypse wave. This wave while not perfect stood out a lot to me. What wave(s) that YOU yourself have completed stand out? What is your Wave Above All? 

I would have to agree with the Apocalypse wave. If the Caliban wave would have had ANY other BAF than Caliban it woulda edged out all the others, and here's how I quantify that. I do collect entire waves, but not all. If I do complere the BAF then I include it in the strength of the wave. If I like a BAF I will purchase a figure I don't necessarily want. Every wave I completed that I can remember has included a figure I don't want but the BAF interested me enough to compromise a purchase. In the Apocalypse wave not only did I want every figure, a wanted the BAF as well. In the Caliban wave, for the first time ever I will complete a wave in spite of the BAF. Hence, Apocalypse wave edges out Caliban wave.

I'm the worst type of collector-y collector, so I get all X-Men products (including Deadpool) starting with the Infinite relaunch, regardless of my feelings on the individual figures. That said, the overall quality (of characters, not necessarily figures) and consistency of the X-Men waves definitely seems higher than the average Legends wave. The only figures I've really groaned when getting were: Deadpool in underwear, Deadpool in X-Men outfit, Gladiator, Lady Deadpool, Paladin, and the upcoming Weapon X figure. So, I guess that makes Juggernaut my favourite wave so far. Apocalypse and Caliban are both amazing too, and contain some individual choices that I like better than some of those that came with Juggernaut, but Gladiator and Weapon X just don't do anything for me, so I have to give it to Jugs.

The Warlock and Sauron waves were weird. In the case of the former, I like every included character (no groaners), but the only ones I was really excited to get were Colossus and Warlock. In the case of the latter, I was legitimately excited by half the wave, and couldn't stop groaning about the other half. Sauron was definitely worth the price of three more tedious Deadpools, though.

My collection is complete from the Juggernaut wave through to Mystique, but I still technically need to fill in the Jubilee wave and All-New X-Men box set (grumble, grumble), and I'm still trying to work out what to do about that. I'm trying to convince myself that the Jubilee wave doesn't count, despite kinda wanting Cyclops, Jubilee, and Storm, and thinking it's pretty unlikely any of those characters will get redone in those costumes. I actually really like Cyke and Storm's Marvel Now looks, but I can't pay those sorts of prices, don't really care too much about Stryfe, and don't care for the Wolverine or Magneto sculpts (both of which will be redone in those costumes).

I'm a Spider-Man collector above all, so last summer's Sp//dr wave really did it for me.  The BAF wasn't terribly desirable but the entire wave was such a great one for Spidey collectors that it overshadowed how much I didn't want the BAF.  The Lizard BAF wave and Homecoming Waves also stood out to me for their character selection, but not necessarily as strong a selection as the Sp//dr wave.  

Alternately the second Deadpool wave also was a favorite, but that was entirely for Sauron, I couldn't have cared less about the figures.    

Of the X-wave my pick is the Warlock wave. There was just so many wanted figures in that we have been asking for.

For Spidey wave I have to go for the Rhino wave just for the variety in it. 

As for the Avengers (that include Cap, Dr. Strangeetc) I have to go for the Red Onslaught wave.

GOTG is the Titus wave.

You probably see a pattern here. I like waves that has a variety of New, Updates and Obscure characters, even if the BAF is unknown as long as it's a new character.

The Juggernaut wave for me already wins for having a Rogue figure. But it was a Rogue figure that was near perfect which made it all the better (the moving straps were kinda a downer). Then it also had a great Wolvie, The rest of the wave is fine, they're not the be-all-end-all of each character but it did add characters to my shelf that I didn't have a version of at that time. Phoenix, Iceman, Kitty, Havok, Deadpool and Cable. I still prefer Select Juggernaut but the two-pack Juggs with Colossus with the battle-damaged head is a huge improvement.

I'll agree that the Apoc wave was quite awesome, especially in terms of character selection.  Loved getting a bunch of major x-villains in one wave. It was the only wave i preordered a case for in 2018, despite having to get two tiger-stripe wolverines.  

For me, though, as someone who likes the mcu figs in addition to comic figs, IW wave 2 was an equally great wave.  The four mcu figures all had awesome likenesses to the actors they were modeled after,  black knight was a great comic figure and even though people grumble about re-released Malekith i thought he made a nice addition to the set.  My only quibbles with that wave are the lack of a shrunken wasp accessory with Hope and the inaccuracy of the BAF, but neither of those nitpicks really bug me much.  Of course, for non-mcu collectors i could see this wave being a dud.

So far, my favorite wave of 2019 (aside from the 80th anniv stuff) is the M'Baku wave,  although i'm not a fan of having two t'challa figures in the same wave.  the other 4 figs in the wave (as well as the BAF) are pretty awesome imo despite a lot of re-used parts for some of the figs. I'm just not that blown away by the character selections for the Kree Sentry and Kingpin waves, although for the most part the figures are well-executed. I'll still end up getting a bunch of figures from those waves eventually, although for now i just have silver sable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

personally I think the greatest wave of all was Vintage Wave 1, amazing packaging, amazing characters, beautiful comic accurate classic designs, that's the above all wave.

every other wayve has had duds or a dud in it, no matter how great a wave we got some duds, but that being said Lizard BAF wave won it for me, because I trully liked every figure in that wave despite Lasher being on the wrong buck therefore being to scrawny, it was good enough since we even got a Lasher fig i feel bad for complaining everything else was great