Captain Marvel Non-Spoiler Movie Review

JayC

Captain Marvel has a formidable task in front of it: satisfactorily tide MCU fans over until Avengers: Endgame comes out next month. I have to say, it does a pretty good job.

The movie is an origin story introducing the character of Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel (Brie Larson) to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. As far as origin story movies go, I think this is one of the more interesting ones Marvel has done. I do have to warn you comic book purists, it veers from the source material quit a bit and maybe more so than any of the MCU predecessors. It still manages to incorporate a few aspects from the comics, but they changed a lot to fit better with the overall MCU puzzle. I think this is understandable as it does seem to play a significant piece in that puzzle. I will say there was one change made to the source material involving a character that will likely bother some. Without a doubt, this movie communicates power and equality for women, which I think is great and very much in keeping with the original origins of the Carol Danvers character. However this one change I am referring to I don't think was necessary for that message, and I fear will actually detract from it with the possible internet outcry it might cause. I really can’t say more without spoiling the movie. Truthfully, only diehard comic book readers will notice or care, general movie goers likely won't even bat an eye over it.

The movie is fairly action packed and does a good job of balancing the humor with that action. For viewers who remember the nineties, the film offers a playful look back at the decade’s mainstays and technology “advances”. Some familiar faces return for this one including Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Clark Greg as Agent Coulson. Both appear younger thanks to the magic of special effects which were very good overall. Jackson plays well with Larson, and the addition of Goose the Cat will have cat lovers rolling at times. I also really liked Jude Law and his portrayal of Yon-Rogg which I found more interesting here than in the comics.

Other notes include the opening tribute to the late and great Stan Lee who also has one of his final cameos in this movie - which is funny if you know your Stan Lee history. Two after credit scenes are worth the wait - the first one you definitely don’t want to miss.

At the end of the day, I found this movie to be quite enjoyable - even though all I really wanted when I arrived was to be watching Avengers: Endgame. The movie kept me enthralled and makes me want to see Endgame even more. I am sure there might be some comic book purists who won’t be as happy with this one as I am, but I think there will be more who come out of the theater liking this one than not.

GRADE: A-

Let us know your thoughts on it below once you have seen it.

captain_marvel_ver22_xlg__scaled_600.jpg

I won't get to see it until Tuesday (work weekends) but it great to see that this movie is good. 

Also, except for the Mandarin, I don't think I found any change to the MCU that bad if it fits in with that Universe. Yes. I consider the MCU an alternate universe and not the comics.

2 hours ago, tarot said:

I won't get to see it until Tuesday (work weekends) but it great to see that this movie is good. 

Also, except for the Mandarin, I don't think I found any change to the MCU that bad if it fits in with that Universe. Yes. I consider the MCU an alternate universe and not the comics.

I think the alternate universe has been confirmed in the comics by Dr. Strange. I recall seeng a panel on it.

I enjoyed the Mandarin's twist, it's not how I would've done it, but enjoyed it.

After reading this review I'm even more excited to watch it!!

Nice review, thanks. I already noticed they changed the first name of Photon. She is Monica Rambeau in the comics and I believe she was a boat captain instead of a pilot. I wonder if they are integrating her into the MCU also. They made a ML figure of her with a box set months ago. like the way Jude Law got buffed up for this one too. Maybe he will be in other marvel movies. Not overly excited for this one but being a true believer I wont miss it. Thanks

22 minutes ago, silverback said:

Nice review, thanks. I already noticed they changed the first name of Photon. She is Monica Rambeau in the comics and I believe she was a boat captain instead of a pilot. I wonder if they are integrating her into the MCU also. They made a ML figure of her with a box set months ago. like the way Jude Law got buffed up for this one too. Maybe he will be in other marvel movies. Not overly excited for this one but being a true believer I wont miss it. Thanks

Maria Rambeau is Monica's mother. Monica will appear in the movie, as a kid, portrayed by Akira Akbar.

Good review by Jay, though I think from previews alone that the grade may be too high. Surprised there is no mention of Menelsohn's character Talos, in all forms, as I've read in other reviews that he is a shining element of the film.

And I think I've already assessed the change that you assess will be potentially detracting, which I feel aligns to Benning's character...To be clear, I wont be watching this film in theaters thanks to Brie Larsons social commentary. And that's disappointing, because the original trailer had me on the hook.  So for those thinking such responses  are drummed up, or left to the realm of internet trolls...at least for me and several friends I know, its not.  & I think that Benning character related change, if it is the same one Jay identifies, is probably an exacerbation of the new direction of the MCU that is in line with my and others' reasons for not watching in theaters. I fret for things post-Endgame...I think April represents a zenith for this wonderful MCU ride, and I regret it, because it's all gonna fall apart before I get to see a proper A v X blockbuster!

Watched last night and honestly not impressive at all. The hype that they made of this was huge. Even higher than Black Panther and the movie is very weak. Black Panther was like way way better. To much elements putted there to fill some gaps and no other reason. 

They took one of the most classic Marvel characters and made him mediocre. I was very pissed about that. 

The best things of the movie were the soundtrack, especial effects and the cat.

You were two kind. I would give C+. One of the weakest MCU movies storywise. 

Disney pulled another Rey.

Watched it yesterday, and I loved it. It was a fun film with great characters, interesting twists and turns; and the plot featured a couple story beats I didn't expect at all. I'm usually not very hyped by Marvel movies that don't feature a certain Shellhead, but this film delighted me. Watching Carol throughout the climax was satisfying. Carol herself was a great character too. Jovial and irreverent but in her own way, it's not like they made her another Tony Stark or Star-Lord.

I watched it on Thursday and I loved the film! I did not like the change of that one character you mentioned. It don’t need to be changed like that, but I understand why they did it. It wasn’t so major to make me hate the film. I still enjoyed it. I think Brie Larson captures Carol Danvers attitude very well. I like all the little hints and nods they set up for the future of the MCU with this film. Overall it was a good and welcomed addition to the MCU for me. I might even go watch it a second time in theaters, which I don’t usua do. 

Saw it yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it, wouldn't say it was quite as good as Infinity War, Black Panther, or Ragnarok .. more like Ant Man & Wasp, iow fun but didn't blow me away.  Still definitely worth seeing in the theaters, tho.   Thought Talos was an especially enjoyable character, thought Brie was terrific as Carol.  I didn't actually care for the ways this movie tried to be a prequel for the original Avengers movie - too Rogue One in some ways.  I will probably see it once more in the theaters in a week or two.