Destin Daniel Cretton To Helm Marvel's 'Shang-Chi'

Outsiders

Destin Daniel Cretton has been picked up by Marvel Studios to helm the Shang-Chi project.  The project will feature the studio's first Asian lead and is based on the classic character known for his martial arts prowess.  The script is being penned by Wonder Woman 1984 screenwriter Dave Callaham and will update the character for modern audiences. Marvel is said to be planning on assembling a largely Asian-American and Asian cast for this feature.

Shang-Chi first appeared in 1973’s Special Marvel Edition No. 15 and was created by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin.  The character being born in China to a Chinese father and a white American mother was trained as a martial artist assassin by his father, the infamous pulp villain Fu Manchu, but later became a hero after rebelling against his father's ways. Shang-Chi was a hit character in the '70s, and recently saw a revival as a member of The Avengers during  2012’s Marvel Now! Publishing event.

Marvel head Kevin Feige is producing, with Marvel’s Louis D'Esposito, Victoria Alonso, and Jonathan Schwartz executive producing.

Source: THR

Shang_Chi_Marvel.jpg

44 minutes ago, tarot said:

I know it's been said before, but this is the perfect way to bring the Netflix character into the MCU proper. I can see Iron Fist showing up.

I have to say, I wasn't interested at all until you said IF could show up. Fingers crossed.

Well, is this "project" supposed to be a movie or a series similar to the Netflix shows? I heard a while back that it was supposed to be a full length movie. I personally don't think a movie would fly as well as a series. I've read that the 2 year hold is not binding under the case that Netflix cancelled the projects, basically abandoning the properties. It was more of a non-compete clause in case Marvel wanted to entertain a bid by a competing network or wanted to try to profit themselves from a project Netflix developed. Assuming Marvel does develop these shows it would be with a soft reboot at the very least (so long to the best actor to ever play DD). Either way there's a number of other properties they could develop along side Shang Chi if the hold were to still apply to the Netflix shows. They could do a Moon Knight or maybe a Blade (that contract has to have expired by now) or Darkhawk or Silver Sable or even the original Squadron Supreme. What's Mockingbird been doing since leaving Agents of SHIELD? Would anyone else be interested in a US Agent series? I know some of those are pretty obscure, but DC's Black Lightning seems to be doing okay

Shang-chi was like the Marvel version of Bruce Lee, not the backstory just the image. I agree that it would probably get more mileage as a series instead of a movie. And Mockingbird has been playing a Starfleet commander on the Orville Monron, guess she's gotta pay her bills.

9 hours ago, silverback said:

And Mockingbird has been playing a Starfleet commander on the Orville Monron, guess she's gotta pay her bills.

Lol, I knew someone was gonna bite on that one. While I'll admit it will be hard to top Adrianne Palicki's portrayal of the character, I'm sure there's more than a few young athletic actresses that would be chomping at the bit to play the part. Also, she's awesome on The Orville.

I also think that Adrianne Palicki would have been a better choice for the role of Captain Marvel, she is taller and more athletic looking. And she is great on the Orville, liked her on Agents of Shield too. I'm sure Marvel can find her a better gig.