Marvel Legends 6" Avengers: Endgame Thanos BAF Wave Overview & Images

JayC

Great review (as always) - thank you.

Is this wave a huge 'Meh', or is it just me? The BAF's a solid okay - much better than I was expecting, actually - but will this be two-packed and re-packed and multi-packed and single-carded ad nauseum for the next 18 months? You bet your ass it will.

I'm also glad that the balance of the wave is towards the comics, rather than the MCU. That's good for me, but for people that prefer MCU-weighted waves, I think this wave will be frustrating and bewildering. Infinity War & Endgame are going to be the alpha and omega of the cinematic universe, and just the quality of the film(s) alone justifies an MCU characters only wave.

I'm a huge (old school) Thunderbolts fan, so glad to finally see Citizen V, but he's a weird fit here, and with no more Thunderbolts imminent (we need a Fixer, Atlas, Jolt & Mach-5 like now!!) he's a strange choice for the first line of Legends from Endgame. As is Hercules. No major complaints here about the new Herc (although he looks too damn small) and he's an established/known character. This one looks pretty damn good.

Living Laser & Nighthawk are clearly here because of Hasbro's 'We made them in 3.75" scale so we HAVE to make multiple use of the molds, even if they'll be warming pegs 'til 2024' policy. These two are in a whole other league of super-obscurity (although I guess in 2019, there's no such thing as an obscure character: if you don't know who character X is, 2 seconds on YouTube, Google or Wiki and you've got as much knowledge as I've got from decades of obsessive comic collecting...). Nighthawk is just weird-looking (hate that damn cape, and yes, I know it's totally faithful to the comics) and while I love the trans-purple body and cool paint detail on LL, I just don't have that much interest.

Of the MCU reps, Ebony Maw looks great & would be one of the few essential MCU characters I'd buy to keep: he's needed for the Black Order. Ronin and Cap though? Hard pass. Could they be any blander or duller? Just disappointing across the board.

When I saw the Legends X-Men: Caliban wave coming out, that was pre-ordered as soon as the carded images were issued...that's two plus months ago. I need that wave! But that's not something I can say here. The first Endgame wave is here NOW & purchasable, and...I just can't be bothered at this point.

And just thinking: they really could have chosen characters that were (a). Well-known, (b). Cooler and (c). Actually relevant to the wave/theme/movie. Like a classic or contemporary comic-based Winter Soldier (we haven't had Bucky in this form since the two pack with Black Widow); a classic (red & white) Falcon; a classic Captain Marvel; a Hulkling, Wiccan, Prodigy or Stature and Squirrel Girl is better known than Nighthawk, Living Laser or Citizen V. And for the villains? Just pick a name.

So, not an epic fail by Hasbro by any means, but a massive, underwhelming missed opportunity? I think so. And wave 2 does not look promising either.

1 hour ago, LandoTucker said:

Is this wave a huge 'Meh', or is it just me? The BAF's a solid okay - much better than I was expecting, actually - but will this be two-packed and re-packed and multi-packed and single-carded ad nauseum for the next 18 months? You bet your ass it will.

I’m actually looking forward to the inevitable re-release of this figure, because I want two of these armored Thanos figures and buying two BAFs is never easy. That’s why I was actually pleased with the BAF/3-pack Thanos from last year, so I could display them in different setups. I definitely can understand why that turns a lot of people off of the initial release though.

1 hour ago, Ironspider428 said:

I’m actually looking forward to the inevitable re-release of this figure, because I want two of these armored Thanos figures and buying two BAFs is never easy. That’s why I was actually pleased with the BAF/3-pack Thanos from last year, so I could display them in different setups. I definitely can understand why that turns a lot of people off of the initial release though.

Certainly can't fault you for that, Ironspider - totally agree actually. Some BAFs you need twice, but buying a wave twice is just nuts. For me, I'd be a happy man if Hasbro trotted the recent Kingpin BAF out again. That way, I can have a full-time Shadow King...

i think you would need Doc Spectrum to have an adequate Squadon Sinister/Supreme, and that's assuming we ignore the Whizzer's different costume. I do agree that Nighthawk does allow the completion of  a Defenders roster though and probably will end up getting him at some point for that reason.  i don't see him being a huge seller, we'll see i guess.

I am so stealing the diorama idea of Citizen V arresting Baron Zemo!....and lord do I love that Ronin costume, Hot Toys cannot unveil their Endgame figures soon enough.....this is a great wave, I really appreciate the diversity Hasbro captured in their character selection.

8 hours ago, LandoTucker said:

When I saw the Legends X-Men: Caliban wave coming out, that was pre-ordered as soon as the carded images were issued...that's two plus months ago. I need that wave! But that's not something I can say here. The first Endgame wave is here NOW & purchasable, and...I just can't be bothered at this point..

I agree 100%.  As much as I dig that Herc figure, I definitely won’t be picking him up for quite a while.  The X-Men waves are absolutely killer, and good waves seem much less exciting in comparison 

I hope folks really like this wave, because I'm betting we'll be seeing plenty of it rotting on pegs for the next year or so.

Don't mistake me, I mostly like the wave quite a bit, personally, but a lot of the comic-based figures seem to linger on pegs a long time.  (I think Hercules will sell well...but the rest of the comic figures in this set likely pegwarm pretty hard).

Only reason that comic based figs may "rot" on the pegs is due to the fanbase only  knowing of characters due to the MCU & not the comics. Doesn't make the comic based figures bad figures, just the ignorance of the MCU based fanbase that causes them to stay on the pegs.  I personally am only getting Herc & Nighthawk as the choice of Living Laser design  they went with is awful looking & features no head articulation. Classic Living Laser is what I wanted, not that lite brite thing.

Living Laser 1.jpg

LivingLaser.jpg

Living-Laser-2.gif

at least hasbro are giving us new, sometimes requested character that are probably probably the only versions we are going to get. If this was any other company they would just slot in another comic Spider-man/Iron man/Cap/Wolverine etc.

for this wave alone we get Herc in his modern costume to go with the Cap Falc, Lady Thor, Modern Viz and Parker Industries Spider for the post Civil war II Avengers. (Just need Red Wasp for that).

Since Songbird won the last fan poll by a long shot they gave us Citizen V for the Thunderbolts.

Nighthawk has been requested by Defenders fans since the Toybiz days so he got made.

And Living Lazer has also been requested as he is one of Iron Man's most frequent foes (not the version some people wanted but I'll take it.)

throw in the obvious MCU figure and this wave marks off alot of Fan Requests.

1 hour ago, tarot said:

at least hasbro are giving us new, sometimes requested character that are probably probably the only versions we are going to get. If this was any other company they would just slot in another comic Spider-man/Iron man/Cap/Wolverine etc.

Or another MCU Cap/Iron man oh wait.... Still I like the comic figures and this wave has a good selection, the only comic figure that doesn't excite me is Nighthawk and that's because I'm not a big Defender fan.

I definitely appreciate getting new characters in these waves, whether i plan on getting each one or not, and feel that even with heavy re-use these figures are generally quite well-executed versions of the characters.   i can understand why mcu-only collectors who want to build thanos might be annoyed at the wave having not just 4 comic figs, but 4 comic figs that don't have much relevance to endgame.  Not a problem for me since i collect both but i do think that its fairer to collectors when the BAF is in line with the majority of figures in the wave, the Cap Marvel wave was the same in reverse since you had 4 mcu figs and a comic BAF, but at least in that case all but grey gargoyle felt relevant.  

On 3/25/2019 at 1:17 PM, bashpics99 said:

I definitely appreciate getting new characters in these waves, whether i plan on getting each one or not, and feel that even with heavy re-use these figures are generally quite well-executed versions of the characters.   i can understand why mcu-only collectors who want to build thanos might be annoyed at the wave having not just 4 comic figs, but 4 comic figs that don't have much relevance to endgame.  Not a problem for me since i collect both but i do think that its fairer to collectors when the BAF is in line with the majority of figures in the wave, the Cap Marvel wave was the same in reverse since you had 4 mcu figs and a comic BAF, but at least in that case all but grey gargoyle felt relevant.  

"Perfectly balanced, as all things should be"

I agree though.  It feels like they are doing a better job at giving both sides of the fandom their due, but I agree that we need to see more focus in the waves on theme.  All in all though, Hasbro is doing some great stuff.  I am super excited to be throwing money away on these little plastic people!