Rep system?

Plasticfrogforemost

Hi, all

New to the forum and kinda new to the community. I’m starting to look for dedicated platforms like this one geared towards the toy/collectibles community. A lot of influencers have made a name for themselves using other platforms like YouTube and IG. I think forums like this one present a similar opportunity via a different route. 

I think a cumulative rep-point/like system per post would help distinguish quality active members in this forum. Just a suggestion. Thanks!

On 4/1/2019 at 3:26 AM, leokearon said:

I'm not sure a rep system is a good idea. I was a mod on another board and all people did was use it to boost each other's rep or bash people they didn't like, so we got rid of it.

The rep system that's over on the Toy News International forums doesn't seem to be a problem, and I don't think you can neg people, either. People seem to use it pretty responsibly over there.

6 hours ago, Satam said:

The rep system that's over on the Toy News International forums doesn't seem to be a problem, and I don't think you can neg people, either. People seem to use it pretty responsibly over there.

It depends on the people I guess.

I like the idea (I am also on Reddit and the upvote/downvote system is okay) but I would be worried that it could create sort of a mob mentality.  I’ve seen it in some subreddits and in Facebook groups where it can actually discourage productive conversation because people are afraid to be downvoted into oblivion.

On 4/9/2019 at 12:11 AM, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

I like the idea (I am also on Reddit and the upvote/downvote system is okay) but I would be worried that it could create sort of a mob mentality.  I’ve seen it in some subreddits and in Facebook groups where it can actually discourage productive conversation because people are afraid to be downvoted into oblivion.

There are no downvotes as far as I can tell on the Toy News International forums.  Just "like," "Ha ha," "Sad," and "Thanks," and I think they all add a positive.  If it's done over here, I'd want it to be the same.

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

How does this function? I just now noticed my own Rep (1) and given that I hadn't seen it before lead me to do a little searching and find this thread. So, how does one gain rep exactly? If this information is elsewhere and I'm a dolt and didn't see it, my apologies in advance.

It's a simple reaction button on your every post. If somebody reacts to your post, you'd get a +1 rep. That's pretty much it. I guess posting things that people react to positively is the only way to gain it. But I don't think it should really be your purpose, just the conversation alone is mostly encouraging, even if you disagree

3 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

It's a simple reaction button on your every post. If somebody reacts to your post, you'd get a +1 rep. That's pretty much it. I guess posting things that people react to positively is the only way to gain it. But I don't think it should really be your purpose, just the conversation alone is mostly encouraging, even if you disagree

Look at that, I'm participating!

Thanks for the info!

I agree tho, that I simply enjoy the conversation and seeing it thrive often regardless of what it is or how I agree or disagree with it. I suppose this Rep system is cool tho, and unless you're a jerk I doubt it's anything to worry about.

8 minutes ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

Look at that, I'm participating!

Thanks for the info!

I agree tho, that I simply enjoy the conversation and seeing it thrive often regardless of what it is or how I agree or disagree with it. I suppose this Rep system is cool tho, and unless you're a jerk I doubt it's anything to worry about.

There doesn't seem to be any way to NEG anyone, so the very worst a jerk can do is say something jerky, which is what they tend to do anyway.

• 1 year later...

What's the point of receiving notification that someone reacted to a post, if we can't see what that specific reaction was?  And going along with that, what's the point of having "Thanks," "Ha Ha," "Confused," "Sad," and "Like" if no one can see which reaction it was except for, apparently, the person who reacted? 

• 3 months later...
On 1/8/2021 at 3:06 PM, Satam said:

What's the point of receiving notification that someone reacted to a post, if we can't see what that specific reaction was?  And going along with that, what's the point of having "Thanks," "Ha Ha," "Confused," "Sad," and "Like" if no one can see which reaction it was except for, apparently, the person who reacted? 

Seriously, this $#!% is annoying. It actually looks like everyone can see the reaction except for the person who receives it. The hell? It can't be that hard to tweak the rep system here so it works like it does over on the Toy News forums, right?