Third Avengers Endgame Wave

Crossbones666

1 hour ago, monron999 said:

I'll admit I found IM3 to be better than most did and for the same reason you liked it. It delved more into Stark the character rather than all the glitz and animation of the armor, though there was way too much of that as well. The end fight sequence was a lot like a Michael Bay film. So much going on you couldn't focus any one thing in particular. But in the end there were three things that broke it for me. First, Killian was just so lame and the whole set of powers was clearly just an afterthought they threw in to give him some sort of formidabilty. Second, the one villian they did give some kind of thoughtful backstory to made a complete farce out of a character we were all hoping to see. Third, they made the armors seem like some sort of cheap Halloween cosplay. They were shattering when getting hit by a truck, blowing apart or disentigrating with one punch from the Extremis infected people. It made it look unbelievable that the armor was ever able to take heavy gun fire or a hit from Mjolnir or able to withstand the pressures of flying through the gullet of a giant alien bio-mech beast. Forget about getting caught in the rotors of one of the engines on a helicarrier. In the end it just wound up falling victim to an artsy format that just didn't quite seem right in the midst of the flow of how most of the MCU movies were progressing at that point. And yeah, you're right about Dark World. That's the MCU project we all like to deny ever existed.

I think there are two things to take into consideration regarding that last point; the first corresponds to the MK XLII and the other to the suits of the Iron Legion.

The first one is the level of damage the MK XLII experienced compared to other suits in previous movies and how the suit itself fared. While the previous suits also didn't end their runs in a pristine condition (the MK VI becomes barely operational after the Helicarrier battle and Tony has to jumpstart it in order to get to Stark Tower and change to the MK VII, and the suit "limps" while flying), the MK XLII took most of the physical toll very early on into the movie. It got a missile detonate next to it, it got buried in the bottom of the ocean for several minutes while rubble was crushing it, it got water leak into it, it ran out of battery, and then it crash-landed in Tennessee. All of that, and the suit itself was already somewhat faulty because it was a prototype.

The remaining suits of the Iron Legion are not made of cardboard either. They manage to fight and defeat the Extremis soldiers. However, the Extremis enhanciles are strong as hell, plus they have heat-based powers. They are basically human blowtorches, and just because a blowtorch can cut a piece of metal doesn't mean the metal is inherently "weak."

6 hours ago, ADour said:

I think there are two things to take into consideration regarding that last point; the first corresponds to the MK XLII and the other to the suits of the Iron Legion.

The first one is the level of damage the MK XLII experienced compared to other suits in previous movies and how the suit itself fared. While the previous suits also didn't end their runs in a pristine condition (the MK VI becomes barely operational after the Helicarrier battle and Tony has to jumpstart it in order to get to Stark Tower and change to the MK VII, and the suit "limps" while flying), the MK XLII took most of the physical toll very early on into the movie. It got a missile detonate next to it, it got buried in the bottom of the ocean for several minutes while rubble was crushing it, it got water leak into it, it ran out of battery, and then it crash-landed in Tennessee. All of that, and the suit itself was already somewhat faulty because it was a prototype.

The remaining suits of the Iron Legion are not made of cardboard either. They manage to fight and defeat the Extremis soldiers. However, the Extremis enhanciles are strong as hell, plus they have heat-based powers. They are basically human blowtorches, and just because a blowtorch can cut a piece of metal doesn't mean the metal is inherently "weak."

Yeah, I know all that and yes, they made it clear that the armor fell apart at the "seams" rather than actually shatter, but the overall outward feeling was that the legion was being taken apart almost as easily as IM and WM took out the Hammer drones. Some will argue that was the point and maybe it was but though the story was good all the sequences involving the armies just seemed kinda cheesy to me. The point of the whole story was IM2 was still better, Sam Rockwell as Hammer was a whole hella lot better villain and the Whiplash/Dynamo character was a superior foe and the only character that I can think of from the IM-verse worthy of a figure. Maybe Happy deserves one too seeing as Luis managed to make the cut.

5 minutes ago, monron999 said:

Yeah, I know all that and yes, they made it clear that the armor fell apart at the "seams" rather than actually shatter, but the overall outward feeling was that the legion was being taken apart almost as easily as IM and WM took out the Hammer drones. Some will argue that was the point and maybe it was but though the story was good all the sequences involving the armies just seemed kinda cheesy to me. The point of the whole story was IM2 was still better, Sam Rockwell as Hammer was a whole hella lot better villain and the Whiplash/Dynamo character was a superior foe and the only character that I can think of from the IM-verse worthy of a figure. Maybe Happy deserves one too seeing as Luis managed to make the cut.

I perceived the fight between the Iron Legion and the Extremis soldiers pretty even. The suits were even shown taking down more soldiers than soldiers taking out suits. They were nowhere near close the level of cardboard-ness of the Hammer Drones.

6 hours ago, ADour said:

I perceived the fight between the Iron Legion and the Extremis soldiers pretty even. The suits were even shown taking down more soldiers than soldiers taking out suits. They were nowhere near close the level of cardboard-ness of the Hammer Drones.

The hammer drones were ridiculous.  Some putty dummy (or whatever the footsoldiers were called in Power Rangers) level of bad.  

3 hours ago, ADour said:

Well, they were meant to be cannon fodder to just wreck havoc and wear Iron Man down until Whiplash arrived with his upgraded armor.

I guess I never picked up on that.  I just felt like Whiplash was hoping they would damage WM and IM bad enough and Whiplash was going to come in and finish them off, but your point makes more sense haha

1 hour ago, G_Blade said:

I would love an MCU Batroc, but if there is only one figure... it HAS to be Quicksilver. I want Wanda to have her brother back!

P.S. Doy ou guys think it will be an ALL MCU figures series? I'm hoping for Pepper Potts as RESCUE and such...

Hard to tell.  BP did an all MCU run and it’s sold pretty well, but Hasbro will probably put in one or two comic figures to try to maximize the potential for the wave.

5 hours ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

Agreed.  The tiger stripe camo Air Force one would look incredible in figure form.  I had s couple of the smaller scaled ones from the mainline when they did them and always felt like they would look good scaled up.

Same here. Also speaking of army builders we have no Chitauri  or Outriders

5 hours ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

Supposedly there are a couple of secret 80th anniversary sets that are still yet to be announced.  Maybe we will see something close to this in the future seeing as we have Siff already.

and it would go well with the 80th Thor

12 hours ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

I'm still not sold on that Thor.  I am not a fan of figures without an ab crunch unless they are larger figures (like Doc Ock) and every Thor has that same odd separation and no ab crunch.  I don't understand the mentality.  

If you ask Hasbro they would probably mention cost or experimentation (like they did in the 3.75 line.  Or they are just lazy

51 minutes ago, mako said:

I'm sorry, have you seen all the stuff Hasbro is putting out this year? And that's just their Marvel stuff. Then there's Transformers, Star Wars, Power Rangers, and Overwatch. Does that really sound like a "lazy" company.

Then again, armchair quarterbacking is the easiest thing in the world.

I know all the great stuff they are doing, but they have used things like cost and experimentation to justify cutting some corners like they did with the 3.75 line and I don't what the same thing to start happening with ML or their other products

To be fair, I really don't see any of those other lines reaching the scale that Marvel has lately.  Transformers might simply due to their fanbase, but I see PR flailing with all of the obscure figures they are already in the process of releasing.  Also, do we see Overwatch being a thing 5 years down the road?  

I don't think we will see any cost cutting with the Legends in the near future, but if the other lines don't do well, I can see how Hasbro would have to pivot and look to recoup those loses in other lines.  

9 minutes ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

To be fair, I really don't see any of those other lines reaching the scale that Marvel has lately.  Transformers might simply due to their fanbase, but I see PR flailing with all of the obscure figures they are already in the process of releasing.  Also, do we see Overwatch being a thing 5 years down the road?  

I don't think we will see any cost cutting with the Legends in the near future, but if the other lines don't do well, I can see how Hasbro would have to pivot and look to recoup those loses in other lines.  

TF is always a strong brand and the newest figures have really upped their game. Star Wars should bounce back with three ranges planned for this years Force Friday

I hardly call the PR lightning collection being full of obscure characters having some of the most popular rangers and their biggest villain along with the most recent rangers.

Hopefully there won't be any cost cutting but some of the recent figures having less articulation and accessories brings back bad memories of the demise of the 3.75" Line.

16 minutes ago, leokearon said:

TF is always a strong brand and the newest figures have really upped their game. Star Wars should bounce back with three ranges planned for this years Force Friday

I hardly call the PR lightning collection being full of obscure characters having some of the most popular rangers and their biggest villain along with the most recent rangers.

Hopefully there won't be any cost cutting but some of the recent figures having less articulation and accessories brings back bad memories of the demise of the 3.75" Line.

The villains revealed for PR aren't obscure, but there is a blue dog faced Ranger?  I can't imagine that guy doing well at retail.  

Star Wars should bounce back.  The recent "prequel" wave of Black Series is already selling pretty well minus maybe Laura Dern.  

Maybe I just don't know enough about the other properties, but I imagine that I am not in the minority there...

1 minute ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

The villains revealed for PR aren't obscure, but there is a blue dog faced Ranger?  I can't imagine that guy doing well at retail.  

Star Wars should bounce back.  The recent "prequel" wave of Black Series is already selling pretty well minus maybe Laura Dern.  

Maybe I just don't know enough about the other properties, but I imagine that I am not in the minority there...

Doggie Cruger's SPD Shadow Ranger is a very popular Ranger, so, so far so good with the Lightning Collection