Disney And Marvel Say Goodbye Hasbro And Hello Mattel

JayC

2 hours ago, JayC said:
2020 is shaping up to be a year of change for the toy industry. Back in February it was reported that Mattel who for years had been the master toy license holder for DC Comics based toys would be handing things off to Spinmaster and McFarlane Toys starting next year.

Well the DC Comic toy license isn't the only license changing hands at the end of this year. It so happens that both the Marvel and Star Wars toy license which Hasbro has been running for many years now are also coming to conclusion. While no official announcements have yet to be be made about the future of Marvel and Star Wars, most including ourselves expected them to remain at Hasbro, however it appears we all ASSumed wrong, at least for Marvel.

We have learned that in a surprising move Mattel made a bid for the Marvel license that Disney apparently just could not refuse. Likely this was in response to the loss of the DC license.

We talked with Marvel Legends creator Jesse Falcon who currently works for Marvel and Disney who told us the following.

This won't be the first time Mattel has made Marvel Comics based figures. Back in the 80's they made a line of action figures called Secret Wars, which tied into Marvel Comics' first big comic crossover event.

According to sources at Mattel we have learned that former Toy Biz and Hasbro employee David Vonner who now hangs his hat at Mattel, and has quit a bit of experience working on Marvel Comic figures will be heading things up there for the Marvel brand. While 6" figures will continue under Mattel, there are also plans to bring back a new series of highly articulated 4" figures as well. The 6" figures will likely be done with a similar DC Multiverse design style, and the new 4" figures will be very reminiscent to those of Hasbro's old Marvel Universe line which Vonner originally headed.

What will happen with the Star Wars license remains a mystery, but we will likely hear more on that at this month's Star Wars: Celebration convention, so stay-tuned. Oh and by the way, today is April 1, and you know what that means right?

1 of 1

OMG I was totally ready to explode I was almost loosing my mind.... Good one mate.....

LOL, I had pretty much forgot today was April Fool's day until I saw this. You had me for like 30 seconds, then I realized what was going on and had to check the date on my Fitbit. For that few seconds my heart actually skipped a few beats. Now I'm just waiting for Wmart to email me and say my Loki & Corvus 2 pack has been cancelled.

I knew this was an april fools joke, but seriously dont put the idea out to the world with the license running out soon one never knows, and even though I dont see a reason Disney wouldnt renew their license agreement with hasbro, it could happen that they went with another company like mattel and that in my opinion would be a huge step back