Pleasantly Surprised!

hisDUDENESS9829

Did you ever buy a figure just because it was a great deal?  Or just to finish a BAF?  Did you end up loving that figure?  What’s your story?

Multiple Man would have to be at the top of my list.  I never really cared for the character, but he was a requirement for the Apocalypse BAF.  Once I had him out of the package though, I felt like he was one of the best uses of that buck in a long time.  The color popped and the extra heads look amazing.  I ended up selling off my Gladiator and keeping my Multiple Man from that wave, when I was sure I would do those things in the opposite order.

Its those little gems that every once in a while make it worth a while to step out of one's comfort zone, its happened to me more than a couple of times.

I dont collect MCU/Netflix figures (partly because of lack of space and partly because I know myself and know Id eventually buy most of them so I try to steer away from those figures) I did end up getting the jessica jones figure because a friend showed me his and I just fell in love with the figure.

Deathlock, Typhoid Mary and Lady Deadpool are a couple I can think of that I bought just for the BAF pieces and originaly planned on selling the figures and once I had them in hand I just couldnt let them go.
As for great deals, I ended up getting Bullseye, Darkhawk and Blade on an amazing discount (close to nothing) and the figures ended up being better than I expected.

I have totally done this plenty of times, probably top of this list goes to Paladin whom was the only figure I needed to build Sasquatch, I really didn't want him, but Once I got him and later put that Madcap head on him I loved it.

The other ones were Valkyrie, bought her for 10 bucks, and honestly I fell in love, alot of people don't like that fig but something about how tall she is and just the overall look i really grew to like, The Jackal was another got him for 11 bucks, and it's a nice fig, another one people will think i'm crazy for is Blizzard, I dunno got him for 8 bucks and once he came out of the pack I was down, I actually am a big fan of those masked dudes, I bought Eel when he came out love that fig, Shocker, anyone masked like that so, i realized Blizzard was cool. Also got Odinson Thor for 5 bucks and I like that dude, so fucking bulky and I thought he was lame before I got him out of pack, X-Man Deadpool another one, bought for the BAF piece and I really like him now

27 minutes ago, abnuggler said:

Its those little gems that every once in a while make it worth a while to step out of one's comfort zone, its happened to me more than a couple of times.

I dont collect MCU/Netflix figures (partly because of lack of space and partly because I know myself and know Id eventually buy most of them so I try to steer away from those figures) I did end up getting the jessica jones figure because a friend showed me his and I just fell in love with the figure.

Deathlock, Typhoid Mary and Lady Deadpool are a couple I can think of that I bought just for the BAF pieces and originaly planned on selling the figures and once I had them in hand I just couldnt let them go.
As for great deals, I ended up getting Bullseye, Darkhawk and Blade on an amazing discount (close to nothing) and the figures ended up being better than I expected.

Man that Darkhawk was one of the most wanted figures for me from that Titus wave, I bought that day 1 along with Angela, can't believe Darkhawk wasn't one you thought was amazing from the jump, that figure is great

29 minutes ago, abnuggler said:

I passed on that Blade at $10 and have been kicking myself ever since.  Such a great character design for the figure.  

Deathlok is a fantastic figure too, and Lady Deadpool would be in my “pleasantly surprised” list as well.  I needed her for Sauron, but didn’t know much about her run in the comics, got the figure and ended up reading back through the issues with her and headpool.  Funny how a great figure can really hook you in!

30 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I have totally done this plenty of times, probably top of this list goes to Paladin whom was the only figure I needed to build Sasquatch, I really didn't want him, but Once I got him and later put that Madcap head on him I loved it.

The other ones were Valkyrie, bought her for 10 bucks, and honestly I fell in love, alot of people don't like that fig but something about how tall she is and just the overall look i really grew to like, The Jackal was another got him for 11 bucks, and it's a nice fig, another one people will think i'm crazy for is Blizzard, I dunno got him for 8 bucks and once he came out of the pack I was down, I actually am a big fan of those masked dudes, I bought Eel when he came out love that fig, Shocker, anyone masked like that so, i realized Blizzard was cool. Also got Odinson Thor for 5 bucks and I like that dude, so fucking bulky and I thought he was lame before I got him out of pack, X-Man Deadpool another one, bought for the BAF piece and I really like him now

Blizzard!  I love that he made your list.  I am a sucker for ice powered villains and his look was so cool (pun intended)

3 minutes ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

Blizzard!  I love that he made your list.  I am a sucker for ice powered villains and his look was so cool (pun intended)

Hahah yeah totally, I mean when you really look at the Blizzard figure it's nice, nice paint scheme, solid buck, simple yet effective, he may be not a huge character but looks aesthetic wise hes awesome, I like alot of figures I think people didn't I mean Top pick for me from that Spider-Man Homecoming wave was fucking Beetle, and I actually went out of my way to get that Lady Beetle (both of which are crazy peg warmers) But F#*$ what rad figs to me

16 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Hahah yeah totally, I mean when you really look at the Blizzard figure it's nice, nice paint scheme, solid buck, simple yet effective, he may be not a huge character but looks aesthetic wise hes awesome, I like alot of figures I think people didn't I mean Top pick for me from that Spider-Man Homecoming wave was fucking Beetle, and I actually went out of my way to get that Lady Beetle (both of which are crazy peg warmers) But F#*$ what rad figs to me

Yeah? Worth the pick up? My Target probably has six on the shelf right now.

19 minutes ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

Yeah? Worth the pick up? My Target probably has six on the shelf right now.

hahha to me they were, I mean I like them both especially side by side.

currently most TRU's have a bazillion Lady Beetle's still :laugh:

I would say most recently vintage wave scarlet spider. I went to GameStop based on rumors that some of their stores had vintage wave 2 in stock, & was looking for Vision. They had all but Hawkeye and Ant-man, & all looked good but that scarlet spider just really popped. I think hasbro did a great job with that wave and it’s too bad more stores didn’t carry it (probably because wave 1 had what, 3 pegwarmers?)

26 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

I would say most recently vintage wave scarlet spider. I went to GameStop based on rumors that some of their stores had vintage wave 2 in stock, & was looking for Vision. They had all but Hawkeye and Ant-man, & all looked good but that scarlet spider just really popped. I think hasbro did a great job with that wave and it’s too bad more stores didn’t carry it (probably because wave 1 had what, 3 pegwarmers?)

I have still yet to see a single wave 2 figure on a peg in my area.  I was really banking on picking up the classic Hawkeye and Scarlet Spidey, but I guess my “modern” one will have to do for now.  

Iron Man and Black Widow warmed hard here, but who was the third from the first wave?

9 hours ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

I have still yet to see a single wave 2 figure on a peg in my area.  I was really banking on picking up the classic Hawkeye and Scarlet Spidey, but I guess my “modern” one will have to do for now.  

Iron Man and Black Widow warmed hard here, but who was the third from the first wave?

Arguably Punisher and Cap both of whom i saw in targets for quite awhile and were available for cheap prices on amazon.  But certainly its debatable. Black widow for sure is the clear "winner" of pegwarming from that wave.  And she's actually not a bad looking figure, i just use the ultimate rider version - my vw widow is still MIC (not that she's really valuable - i just think she looks cool in the retro packaging).

And yeah, i only saw VW 2 that one time.  I feel there must be  huge stockpiles of some of these waves sitting in warehouses somewhere.  I suppose if there's no movie tie-in some of these chains feel like there's no hurry and they can just throw these waves on the pegs whenever.

6 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

Arguably Punisher and Cap both of whom i saw in targets for quite awhile and were available for cheap prices on amazon.  But certainly its debatable. Black widow for sure is the clear "winner" of pegwarming from that wave.  And she's actually not a bad looking figure, i just use the ultimate rider version - my vw widow is still MIC (not that she's really valuable - i just think she looks cool in the retro packaging).

And yeah, i only saw VW 2 that one time.  I feel there must be  huge stockpiles of some of these waves sitting in warehouses somewhere.  I suppose if there's no movie tie-in some of these chains feel like there's no hurry and they can just throw these waves on the pegs whenever.

Yeah, I do remember seeing that Punisher once or twice.  Which is a shame, he was awesome if for the trigger fingers alone.  Never saw Cap in the wild, living in the south that's not a huge surprise though.  The Black Series Archive run seems to be suffering the same fate lately too.  Hopefully that won't mean that I never see Maul or the Scout Trooper on a shelf.  

4 hours ago, Chunkylover said:

I bought the Elektra-Ronin and Forge-Wolverine two-packs for Elektra and Forge. I put the Clint Barton head on the Wolverine body and stand him in as Morph. It’s not a perfect match, but it works. I like that one more than I thought I would.

That. Is. Fantastic.  I bought that Wolvie loose on the bay 10 years ago, superb extras with that one.  Extra Hands and heads.  I'm glad I waited on a Forge though.  Even though the new one is on the Bucky Cap body, it looks pretty good.

20 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Man that Darkhawk was one of the most wanted figures for me from that Titus wave, I bought that day 1 along with Angela, can't believe Darkhawk wasn't one you thought was amazing from the jump, that figure is great

I always liked Darkhawk (specially since I read the comic when I was a kid) but when the figure came out I put him off for a while and just thought I wasnt going to pick him up (at the time I was trying to limit what I bought to just teams I really wanted and was selling stuff I didnt have space for), then came the discounts, saw him and snatched him up imediately and it was worth it.

1 hour ago, abnuggler said:

I always liked Darkhawk (specially since I read the comic when I was a kid) but when the figure came out I put him off for a while and just thought I wasnt going to pick him up (at the time I was trying to limit what I bought to just teams I really wanted and was selling stuff I didnt have space for), then came the discounts, saw him and snatched him up imediately and it was worth it.

Yeah I mean i get the fact that alot of people didn't care or know Darkhawk, but same as you I was a huge fan as a kid, and never stopped thinking he was amazing, as soon as I saw he was coming out I went nuts, It's a really fantastic figure I think, but I also get he doesn't really fit into any teams at this point so for most he's passable

15 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah I mean i get the fact that alot of people didn't care or know Darkhawk, but same as you I was a huge fan as a kid, and never stopped thinking he was amazing, as soon as I saw he was coming out I went nuts, It's a really fantastic figure I think, but I also get he doesn't really fit into any teams at this point so for most he's passable

Yeah I really liked the character since I was a kid and I was excited when it was announced I remember thinking I was without a doubt getting him, then as I said by the time he came out I was selling part of my collection and making it more of just the teams I really wanted to complete so I put off darkhawk just for the fact that I didnt want him to be just standing there all alone, in the end Im glad I picked him up (ended up making a little space in my collection for Marvel Characters that kind of fit together but werent an actual team I call it my " sort of Marvel Knights" display, I have DK, Blade, Taskmaster, Punisher, Moonknight, DD, Bullseye, Elektra and Typoid mary there, the funny thing is most of these figures I either picked up for the baf pieces and ended up really liking them or got them on discount later on)

On a similar note going back to characters who's comics I read when I was a kid and arent real popular in the overall Marvel Universe, I wonder if we'd ever get a SuperPro figure jajaja, I remember I had a couple of his comics back in the day

Darkhawk would qualify as another pleasant surprise for me, initially i was put off by  the wave and only got Angela and Yondu but ended up completing Titus.  I'm only vaguely familiar with the character from some nova issues and i think he was in Avengers Arena?  but he's so cool looking. The Vance Astro figure is another that i didn't find appealing in the 1st photos i saw but i really dig that figure now (wish we had more of that GotG team).  And while i still haven't read any comics with Titus,  i 've really grown to like him.  Still haven't quite come around on Kid Nova, although i like the tiny nova dude he came with.

45 minutes ago, abnuggler said:

Yeah I really liked the character since I was a kid and I was excited when it was announced I remember thinking I was without a doubt getting him, then as I said by the time he came out I was selling part of my collection and making it more of just the teams I really wanted to complete so I put off darkhawk just for the fact that I didnt want him to be just standing there all alone, in the end Im glad I picked him up (ended up making a little space in my collection for Marvel Characters that kind of fit together but werent an actual team I call it my " sort of Marvel Knights" display, I have DK, Blade, Taskmaster, Punisher, Moonknight, DD, Bullseye, Elektra and Typoid mary there, the funny thing is most of these figures I either picked up for the baf pieces and ended up really liking them or got them on discount later on)

On a similar note going back to characters who's comics I read when I was a kid and arent real popular in the overall Marvel Universe, I wonder if we'd ever get a SuperPro figure jajaja, I remember I had a couple of his comics back in the day

Hahaha i remember Superpro, despite the fact I think he is a totally gone character, he would like really damn cool as a legend, i'd buy that

15 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

Darkhawk would qualify as another pleasant surprise for me, initially i was put off by  the wave and only got Angela and Yondu but ended up completing Titus.  I'm only vaguely familiar with the character from some nova issues and i think he was in Avengers Arena?  but he's so cool looking. The Vance Astro figure is another that i didn't find appealing in the 1st photos i saw but i really dig that figure now (wish we had more of that GotG team).  And while i still haven't read any comics with Titus,  i 've really grown to like him.  Still haven't quite come around on Kid Nova, although i like the tiny nova dude he came with.

I totally passed and still would pass on Vance, just because he is basically way to similar in color scheme and over asthetic as Blizzard, so Blizzard holds a place for me over him, but I get the like cause he does look cool, but that whole white on blue metallic was done enough with cosmic spider being another. I just can't have em all, the looks are too close

51 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

Yondu I would put in the disappointment category.  I was so pumped to have a Michael Rooker figure only to realize that he looks incredibly stupid without the arrow effect in this holster.  You can only really put him in one or two poses that make sense and that is it.  I appreciated the effort that Hasbro put into the concept, but just an arrow without the effect or a trench coat that doesn’t need his hand on it when posing all the time would have been much better.

For me it was Paladin, got him just to put the Mad Cap head on him, Got him cheap and it was nice to finish off Sasquach.  Pretty much the whole Sauron wave was that way for me, Bishop and Omega Red were the only two I would have gotten regardless.  There are usually a few of them per wave that I buy just to get the BAF parts, typically in a Spider-Man themed wave.  Can't think of too many pleasant surprises, maybe the Monster Venom BAF, when I finally got it built I was stunned I had ever thought of skipping it.

1 hour ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

Yondu I would put in the disappointment category.  I was so pumped to have a Michael Rooker figure only to realize that he looks incredibly stupid without the arrow effect in this holster.  You can only really put him in one or two poses that make sense and that is it.  I appreciated the effort that Hasbro put into the concept, but just an arrow without the effect or a trench coat that doesn’t need his hand on it when posing all the time would have been much better.

I agree that the arrow effect was a cool idea that i find hard to pose effectively at times and also that his duster does get in the way of posing (the gotg vol 1 star lord has similar duster issues), i still like that fig though.  iirc it doesn't use the faceprint tech but its still an outstanding head sculpt imo. I thought it was awesome that they included 2 heads with different expressions!! wish hasbro could do that more with the mcu figs.

2 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I totally passed and still would pass on Vance, just because he is basically way to similar in color scheme and over asthetic as Blizzard, so Blizzard holds a place for me over him, but I get the like cause he does look cool, but that whole white on blue metallic was done enough with cosmic spider being another. I just can't have em all, the looks are too close

I hear you, in my case it was cosmic spidey i skipped.  i do like the richer blue on Vance very much compared to Blizzard, but my initial reaction to the figure was the same as yours... another blue metallic & white paint job. 

I will probably end up getting that cosmic spidey sooner or later to use as captain universe.

37 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

I agree that the arrow effect was a cool idea that i find hard to pose effectively at times and also that his duster does get in the way of posing (the gotg vol 1 star lord has similar duster issues), i still like that fig though.  iirc it doesn't use the faceprint tech but its still an outstanding head sculpt imo. I thought it was awesome that they included 2 heads with different expressions!! wish hasbro could do that more with the mcu figs.

The face sculpt is insane.  A better likeness of Rooker than most of the McFarlane Merle figures that have been released.