Legends 2018 vs 2019 (so far).. which is better?

bashpics99

After thinking that there was no way Hasbro could top its 2018 product, i find myself questioning that assumption based on their output so far in 2019.  

IIRC (and please correct me if I'm wrong)... at this time in 2018, released figures were:

• Black Panther Wave
  • Lizard Wave
  • Deadpool Wave 1
  • Infinity War wave 1
  • Exclusives:  WM Pink Panther, WG Medusa (?),  Shuri-Klaw 2-pack

For 2019, so far we've got:

• Black Panther Wave 2
  • Kingpin Wave
  • Captain Marvel wave
  • Endgame wave 1
  • Exclusives:  Loki-Corvus 2-pack,  TG Starforce Marvel,  WG Mystique

Since the amount of product is roughly comparable here on April 4th, interested in hearing which set of figures you think is better.

Obviously its a very subjective question, and feel free to compare relevant waves too (e.g., Lizard wave vs Kingpin wave).  I'll put my thoughts in a subsequent post.

Its a very tough  but i think i still give the edge to 2018.

To me, the lizard wave was better than Kingpin wave in terms of character selection although i think both have great looking BAFs.  Mysterio, Spider-Punk, and Gwenpool were all figures i really liked, and Noir was cool as well.  None of the Kingpin wave characters were really must-have for me, altho i like the 2 i got (Puma and Sable).

BP wave 2 edges out BP wave 1 for me, since i really liked the movie characters and their designs.  One T'Challa too many but otherwise happy with wave 2.  With wave 1 i didn't bother getting Iron Man and the comic figures, while welcome additions to the collection, didn't really excite me very much.  M'Baku is also a superior BAF to Okoye imo although its not a huge difference.

DP wave 1 beats Cap Marvel wave imo, even though most of the figs in that DP wave went on to pegwarm hard.  Still, i liked all the figs except Paladin and dug the BAF.  the Cap Marvel wave had 1 too many Carols and i didn't really feel the BAF.  I could quibble about the choice to inlcude Grey Gargoyle as opposed to another cosmic character but he's still a nice character to get a figure for.

Endgame wave 1 vs Infinity War wave 1 is close to a wash for me, but i think Endgame gets the nod because I'm more excited about Hercules than any of the comic figs from IW wave 1, and similarly i'm more pumped about Maw than Proxima.  Both BAFs seem like they could've been better.

For Exclusives, I've gotta give it to 2019.  Mystique was a must-get figure for me, as was Starforce Carol and the Corvus 2-pack.  While i did get Pink Panther and Medusa last year they really aren't quite on the same level (altho i do like how Pink Panther glows under black light)

Pre-Caliban Wave, the answer is easily 2018.  Lizard vs. Kingpin waves all the Kingpin wave has is a better BAF (sadly).  Avengers waves, 2018 has the better assortment of figures, 2019 the better BAF, so slight edge to 2018 there.  Deadpool wave vs. Captain Marvel wave, DP had the better BAF, and neither assortment was to my liking.  

6 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

Pre-Caliban Wave, the answer is easily 2018.  Lizard vs. Kingpin waves all the Kingpin wave has is a better BAF (sadly).  Avengers waves, 2018 has the better assortment of figures, 2019 the better BAF, so slight edge to 2018 there.  Deadpool wave vs. Captain Marvel wave, DP had the better BAF, and neither assortment was to my liking.  

I remember when they announced the Deadpool wave lineup.  I was incredibly excited.  I couldn’t believe that they were pumping out so many definite looks for characters we have needed for a while in one wave.  It’s hard to believe that Hasbro has cranked it up to 11 since then but they absolutely have.

21 hours ago, hisDUDENESS9829 said:

I remember when they announced the Deadpool wave lineup.  I was incredibly excited.  I couldn’t believe that they were pumping out so many definite looks for characters we have needed for a while in one wave.  It’s hard to believe that Hasbro has cranked it up to 11 since then but they absolutely have.

I could definitely get behind what they're doing, but DP isn't really for me, I only really need one or two looks for him.  There's no denying that that wave is stronger than Captain Marvel's wave by a lot.

43 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

I could definitely get behind what they're doing, but DP isn't really for me, I only really need one or two looks for him.  There's no denying that that wave is stronger than Captain Marvel's wave by a lot.

The high points there are the Nick Fury and Grey Gargoyle for me, and I haven’t still picked them up.  It just seems like Hasbro is dropped the heavy hitters later in the year this year because they didn’t want collectors to burnout before all of the Endgame stuff dropped.

Definitely, Grey Gargoyle was my first pick up from that wave.  From there the only other figure I've gotten is the MCU Captain Marvel.  Fury is a good figure, but I'm waiting on him for now.

So far 2018 was a better year, but only so far, we still have yet to see all of the 2019 BAFs and unannounced figs so it's hard to say but that being said the Lizard wave alone was a sure hit for me as soon as I saw it I wanted all the figs and the BAF, this Spider-Man wave I could care less about the BAF and don't want a new Symbiote SM or Puma (why have Puma when you have Sabretooth?.. he's like a lacking version), Wanted that DP wave Sasquatch BAF was a must have and every fig in that minus Paladin was great (IMO), the first Avengers wave crushed this Endgame wave hands down, and so far the second wave isn't touching that second IF wave (a few duds in those waves but Malekith and a terrible head scult Cap, The 2nd Spider-Man wave was way better then what we know about the Far from Home wave so far, plus we had Sauron BAF which was the best ML to date, and Monster venom BAF (which was a no question builds for me) both those waves had a few duds I.E. X-Men DP, and re-releasing Carny and Venom (but at least Carnage was a nice update for a hard to find fig), an awesome Apocalypse wave , despite this caliban wave is really stand out (which is a clear 2019 win, since I want all those figs minus Weapon X and Forge really) plus we had an Amazing Vintage wave 2, but hey it's just the beginning there is alot of stuff I am looking forward to this year and so much we don't yet know