Figures in desperate need of a "Vintage" release

ARES410

12 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Given the level of detail and accuracy that we already know they're capable of, even when theyre doing less popular/less known characters, giving him this hand-me-down helmet with a simple paint job, is pure laziness.

Its fairly clear: if Hasbro was selling this repainted emaciated figure alongside a more accurate FA version, the correct version would sell far faster and in greater volume. So why not do it right in the first place?

I think you might hate that body just as much as me :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, michiganjfrog said:

I think you might hate that body just as much as me :biggrin:

LOL I sound like the cranky dude who's waving his fist and telling the kids to stay off his lawn, right? But really, Im just disappointed...we KNOW what a fantastic job they can (and usually) do....wish theyd put forth the effort.

But maybe theyre gonna circle back, and really give the Toybiz version a run for its money?

5 hours ago, Atlantis said:

LOL I sound like the cranky dude who's waving his fist and telling the kids to stay off his lawn, right? But really, Im just disappointed...we KNOW what a fantastic job they can (and usually) do....wish theyd put forth the effort.

But maybe theyre gonna circle back, and really give the Toybiz version a run for its money?

nah lol I get it, they have made some great figures regarding heads,hands and paints..and then they're on that skinny flat body

its only a matter of time im sure before they get around to fixing them

Not sure if this counts as "vintage", but the Iron Man NOW figure they did with the Hulkbuster BAF should be redone, if only to have it more in scale with other figures. I loved the colours on that one; that particular shade of gold really looked great, especially with the red accents on the black armor. Only issue is he's small compared to other Iron Man figures...I'd make the black armor glossy, mold on some ports for the red areas (instead of just deco'ing them), keep the gold paint they used and up his size. But likely wont happen soon, if at all. Probably more of a re-release than a "vintage".

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

Not sure if this counts as "vintage", but the Iron Man NOW figure they did with the Hulkbuster BAF should be redone, if only to have it more in scale with other figures. I loved the colours on that one; that particular shade of gold really looked great, especially with the red accents on the black armor. Only issue is he's small compared to other Iron Man figures...I'd make the black armor glossy, mold on some ports for the red areas (instead of just deco'ing them), keep the gold paint they used and up his size. But likely wont happen soon, if at all. Probably more of a re-release than a "vintage".

Comparison.jpgI'll up the ante and suggest that Hasbro not only needs to upscale the mold but make a completely new sculpt. I ranted extensively about it in another thread, but the TL;DR is that the MCU MK 4 mold they used is inaccurate and the paintjob is the only thing that makes it resemble the Marvel NOW! armor. Hasbro does have a comic-accurate 3D model of the armor lying around, which they have used for 3.75" basic figures as well as some 12" Titan Heroes and a 6" vinyl figure with 4 PoA. They just need to give it Marvel Legends-level of articulation and it'd be done.

1 hour ago, ADour said:

Comparison.jpgI'll up the ante and suggest that Hasbro not only needs to upscale the mold but make a completely new sculpt. I ranted extensively about it in another thread, but the TL;DR is that the MCU MK 4 mold they used is inaccurate and the paintjob is the only thing that makes it resemble the Marvel NOW! armor. Hasbro does have a comic-accurate 3D model of the armor lying around, which they have used for 3.75" basic figures as well as some 12" Titan Heroes and a 6" vinyl figure with 4 PoA. They just need to give it Marvel Legends-level of articulation and it'd be done.

I found your rant to be disturbing. Have you sought help? LOL  JUST KIDDING....you are clearly on point and correct. I still like the figure but would like it even more if they follow your points- this isn't a simple repaint, the mold itself is different (if done correctly). It can be very frustrating when Hasbro does such a great job with attention to detail on some figures, and just phones it in on others.

Just now, Atlantis said:

I found your rant to be disturbing. Have you sought help? LOL  JUST KIDDING....you are clearly on point and correct. I still like the figure but would like it even more if they follow your points- this isn't a simple repaint, the mold itself is different (if done correctly). It can be very frustrating when Hasbro does such a great job with attention to detail on some figures, and just phones it in on others.

You got me there for one second, you meanie.

55 minutes ago, michiganjfrog said:

it could definitely use an entire new mold,  Having iron mans that are too short is a pretty big peeve of mine ( i'm looking at you extremis)

it was nice seeing the mark 85 at a taller height

Extremis.....come on....did they forget there's supposed to be a full grown Man underneath that armor? No way he should be that skinny. Is he Tony Stark or BONY Stark??

On 10/18/2019 at 2:04 AM, Atlantis said:

Extremis.....come on....did they forget there's supposed to be a full grown Man underneath that armor? No way he should be that skinny. Is he Tony Stark or BONY Stark??

Actually when Adi Granov designed the Extermis armour, he pointed out that a lot of artists were drawing Iron Man as if there was no-one inside

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

Actually when Adi Granov designed the Extermis armour, he pointed out that a lot of artists were drawing Iron Man as if there was no-one inside

Which they shouldn't have been doing. The Iron Man armor is not a body stocking, after all. But yes some artists do forget (or just ignore) some fairly basic rules. For example, when Stark is wearing the armor, he really oughtta be at least a few inches taller, a few pounds heavier,  than he would be in street clothes. When Dave Cockrum defined Wolverine's claws as being sheathed inside his forearms, his arms should be thicker than the way a lot of artists (including Dave) would draw him. Also, originally he shouldn't have been able to bend his wrists with his claws extended, but we've seen him do it anyway (yeah, I know theyre now saying the claws extend past the wrist which allows freedom of movement, but if that's so then there's no "locking" mechanism/tendon to keep them braced). So yes artists take some liberties sometimes. But when these guys are made into figure form, somebody ought to be considering that Iron Man shouldn't have twigs for limbs.

19 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Which they shouldn't have been doing. The Iron Man armor is not a body stocking, after all. But yes some artists do forget (or just ignore) some fairly basic rules. For example, when Stark is wearing the armor, he really oughtta be at least a few inches taller, a few pounds heavier,  than he would be in street clothes. When Dave Cockrum defined Wolverine's claws as being sheathed inside his forearms, his arms should be thicker than the way a lot of artists (including Dave) would draw him. Also, originally he shouldn't have been able to bend his wrists with his claws extended, but we've seen him do it anyway (yeah, I know theyre now saying the claws extend past the wrist which allows freedom of movement, but if that's so then there's no "locking" mechanism/tendon to keep them braced). So yes artists take some liberties sometimes. But when these guys are made into figure form, somebody ought to be considering that Iron Man shouldn't have twigs for limbs.

The Iron man armor is form fitting, not clunky armor. If you think the recent 80th anniversary classic 70s armor is twiggy looking, then you're wrong in that assessment. An inch of hgt for the boots & an inch of hgt for helmet padding. So if Stark is 6ft tall, in armor he should be 6'2 max. He's not as tall as Thor who's 6'6 or Cap who's 6'2. Now if you're talking bout MCU armors, l don't collect em so I could give a fudge. 

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

If you think the recent 80th anniversary classic 70s armor is twiggy looking, then you're wrong in that assessment.

We weren't talking about his classic suit. Go back and read the whole thread. We were talking about the Extremis Terrax BAF. The way they did the figure, his arms are just too scrawny to be a man wearing armor, any kind of armor. Even the skinniest person looks a tad bigger if theyre wearing a long sleeve shirt. That's all we were saying. Certainly he isn't as tall as Thor, but then again we never once even brought up Thor. The figure isn't terrible, but it should be redone....it should be at least as robust as the classic armor.

On 10/16/2019 at 3:06 AM, Atlantis said:

Its fairly clear: if Hasbro was selling this repainted emaciated figure alongside a more accurate FA version, the correct version would sell far faster and in greater volume. So why not do it right in the first place?

On 10/11/2019 at 5:09 PM, RAMCAT said:

Yep that's why I had put this head together as soon as we saw that vintage Ant-Man. 😄 👍  

Until we get another classic version, this is my favorite Ant-Man toy. 😉

70C039D1-6828-4E82-B73F-B5E4219885E8.jpeg

I for one am surprised Rogue has not been rereleased as of yet. I was fortunate ENOUGH to find two back in the day but she is a high prices commodity now. I also think Dark Phoenix should get the VINTAGE treatment. 

With the 45th ANNIVERSARY just around the corner....I'm hoping for a GS X-men boxset with STORM, THUNDERBIRD, BANSHEE and rereleased of CYCLOPS, COLOSSUS, NIGHTCRAWLER and WOLVERINE.

22 hours ago, Atlantis said:

We weren't talking about his classic suit. Go back and read the whole thread. We were talking about the Extremis Terrax BAF. The way they did the figure, his arms are just too scrawny to be a man wearing armor, any kind of armor. Even the skinniest person looks a tad bigger if theyre wearing a long sleeve shirt. That's all we were saying. Certainly he isn't as tall as Thor, but then again we never once even brought up Thor. The figure isn't terrible, but it should be redone....it should be at least as robust as the classic armor.

My apologies then. I'm not into any MCU Ironman figs so I have no comments related to the more modern versions including the Extremis armor. I'm just hoping & waiting for Hasbro to redo my 2nd favorite IM armor, the Silver Centurian armor! That Toybiz version has not aged well with those long lanky monkey arms.

3 hours ago, Gigantor said:

My apologies then. I'm not into any MCU Ironman figs so I have no comments related to the more modern versions including the Extremis armor. I'm just hoping & waiting for Hasbro to redo my 2nd favorite IM armor, the Silver Centurian armor! That Toybiz version has not aged well with those long lanky monkey arms.

Right but we weren't talking about an MCU figure either. Again, its from the Terrax BAF from years back.

I don't think we have long to wait for Silver Centurian!  I'm expecting that one, plus the promethium armor and maybe the 2020 Arno Stark thing will be out by next year....and keep in mind, "next year" is only about 2 months away!

1 hour ago, michiganjfrog said:

with all these iron man figures ,its pretty crazy that we haven't seen the silver centurion yet.

While I found the buck of the 80 Years Iron Man a tad too big, it doesn't bother me as much as it'd had been a tad too small. I'll be damned if Hasbro doesn't milk the snot out of it. It only needs shoulder pads (and a different headsculpt but not necessarily) and you've got the Stealth Armor, the Silver Centurion will require more tooling, but the base is there. The same for a Neo-Classic redo. This figure can be used as the base for pretty much every one of Iron Man's old suits that use the meshed legs and arms.

18 hours ago, ADour said:

While I found the buck of the 80 Years Iron Man a tad too big, it doesn't bother me as much as it'd had been a tad too small. I'll be damned if Hasbro doesn't milk the snot out of it. It only needs shoulder pads (and a different headsculpt but not necessarily) and you've got the Stealth Armor, the Silver Centurion will require more tooling, but the base is there. The same for a Neo-Classic redo. This figure can be used as the base for pretty much every one of Iron Man's old suits that use the meshed legs and arms.

Tad too big? He;s bout the same exact hgt as the 80th anniv classic Cap, who is 6'2 in the comics, so Stark, who is 6' outta the armor, should gain an additional 2' in hgt taking into account boot sole thickness & helmet space. 80th anniv IM is prefect scale wise.

2 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Tad too big? He;s bout the same exact hgt as the 80th anniv classic Cap, who is 6'2 in the comics, so Stark, who is 6' outta the armor, should gain an additional 2' in hgt taking into account boot sole thickness & helmet space. 80th anniv IM is prefect scale wise.

Don't compare him to the Captain America figure, which is also a tad too big since it stands at 6.5 inches (when, like you said, Cap is 6.2 feet in the comics), compare him to Hasbro's standard body height, like the suited male body, which is 6 inches.

The Classic Iron Man armor is supposed to be an ultra-lightweight skin-tight mesh, and he could wear the chestplate under regular clothes.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:39 PM, ADour said:

Don't compare him to the Captain America figure, which is also a tad too big since it stands at 6.5 inches (when, like you said, Cap is 6.2 feet in the comics), compare him to Hasbro's standard body height, like the suited male body, which is 6 inches.

The Classic Iron Man armor is supposed to be an ultra-lightweight skin-tight mesh, and he could wear the chestplate under regular clothes.

The  Toy Biz ML line skewered toward actual 6 ' scale while the Hasbro ML line is more like 6 1/4' to 6 1/2 ' scale equating to a 6ft character. A 6'6 character such as Thor is gonna scale at 7' tall. So  Hasbro Cap at 6'5 would equate to being 6'2 going by the Hasbro 6' scale.