Jump to content

Rumor Report - Complete Lineup For Marvel Legends X-Force And Vintage X-Men Waves


JayC
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, monron999 said:

Ehh, it's good enough to represent Colossus in the "Jim Lee" X-men line up. If anyone remembers, Sylvestri's Outback Colossus had no shirt and wore only trunks and a belt, giving him the appearance of, more or less, a metallic Zangief. One of Lee's first priorities was to redress the entire team and put him back into more traditional attire. His costume did also change a few times during Lee's run but for the most part it always pretty much resembled his All New X-Men uniform.

I'm not gonna nitpick too much about Colossus, but I sure as hell have a problem with the whole "no legs thing" with Cannonball. I think they did bank on the fact that the demand had been high enough that most fans would be willing to sacrifice the legs. That's ridiculous though, if the effect was so important why didn't they make it where it looks like he's flying through the sky at a rapid rate to really represent his powers? I'm sure most of us could figure out a way to suspend him in our displays even if they didn't include an action stand and if kids are really playing with the figure it sure looks funny when they are pretending that he's flying through the air with that awkward flat base that was clearly made for display only. It's pretty much useless to anyone who doesn't want to pose him in this perpetual "just blasting off" pose and I don't ever remember seeing him in the comics using his power to just hover a few feet of the ground. If I didn't want the BAF so badly I could easily pass on this figure altogether. This "power effect" was a misfire either way and I'll go ahead and slot this guy's place in the Bag-N-Store part of my ML universe. At least till they get him right. It's just a sad thing all around.

Hasbro thinks Marvel Legends fans have no imagination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, tarot said:

The only difference between the two is a slight artist interpretation. It like saying the byrne tiger stripe is a different costume to the one jim lee drew. Same costume different artist.

But yes it does annoy me when they call it jim lee when it was only most of women and cyclops he designed as the rest kept or returned to older costumes

58625880_10157308352962459_2465990438327156736_n.thumb.jpg.5be4ab60f9781a3708afc738c34e9cc9.jpg58384295_10157308352917459_4583454451066470400_n.thumb.jpg.5ad444b2c6dd6f63a387062716b80ec2.jpg58381409_10157308352872459_3316664146442846208_o.thumb.jpg.4119ac4cb87662cc8d37ada0f2e75b57.jpg58654719_10157308352942459_4489317486721761280_o.thumb.jpg.27c75d4200d2e3a8db48b3ed530fd819.jpg58711623_10157308352717459_256503817808379904_o.thumb.jpg.189a48a370cb03c0bf45260b357751d6.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The differences go deeper than an artist's interpretation, and here's the break down as I see it: The 2-pack figure has the same pointed shoulders, wrist gauntlets, boots with yellow tops and three black marks, and belt as the Cockrum design. (Although the belt buckle has an "X" in the middle instead of a circular shape).

The 90's version has squared shoulders and boot tops, an "X" belt buckle with cylinders wrapping around his belt, and the wrist gauntlets are segmented. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, joenubb said:

58625880_10157308352962459_2465990438327156736_n.thumb.jpg.5be4ab60f9781a3708afc738c34e9cc9.jpg58384295_10157308352917459_4583454451066470400_n.thumb.jpg.5ad444b2c6dd6f63a387062716b80ec2.jpg58381409_10157308352872459_3316664146442846208_o.thumb.jpg.4119ac4cb87662cc8d37ada0f2e75b57.jpg58654719_10157308352942459_4489317486721761280_o.thumb.jpg.27c75d4200d2e3a8db48b3ed530fd819.jpg58711623_10157308352717459_256503817808379904_o.thumb.jpg.189a48a370cb03c0bf45260b357751d6.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The differences go deeper than an artist's interpretation, and here's the break down as I see it: The 2-pack figure has the same pointed shoulders, wrist gauntlets, boots with yellow tops and three black marks, and belt as the Cockrum design. (Although the belt buckle has an "X" in the middle instead of a circular shape).

The 90's version has squared shoulders and boot tops, an "X" belt buckle with cylinders wrapping around his belt, and the wrist gauntlets are segmented. 

Quite frankly...I'm just happy for a new COLOSSUS...the X-belt does not bother me a bit. He looks enough like a Byrne/Cockrum version to get a pass to my 70's X-shelf. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Starlord67 said:

Quite frankly...I'm just happy for a new COLOSSUS...the X-belt does not bother me a bit. He looks enough like a Byrne/Cockrum version to get a pass to my 70's X-shelf. 

I'm in complete agreement, brother! I grew up reading Classic X-Men so this is the perfect Colossus for me. The "X" belt does irritate my OCD a little, but not even close enough for this to be a real problem for me.

With the classic TRU Cyke we got two years ago, the tiger stripe Wolverine from last year, and that we're getting this classic Colossus and Nightcrawler this year, I am so friggin' excited! Now can we please get a Cockrum style Storm?!?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, joenubb said:

I'm in complete agreement, brother! I grew up reading Classic X-Men so this is the perfect Colossus for me. The "X" belt does irritate my OCD a little, but not even close enough for this to be a real problem for me.

With the classic TRU Cyke we got two years ago, the tiger stripe Wolverine from last year, and that we're getting this classic Colossus and Nightcrawler this year, I am so friggin' excited! Now can we please get a Cockrum style Storm?!?!

Oh man I've been wanting a Classic Storm for so long!! I want a Thunderbird and a new Banshee as well. I started reading X-men since issue 113. My family helped me get most of the back issues for Christmas and birthdays when I was a teen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This might be the first vintage wave I buy the whole assortment for.   MIGHT skip Cyclops but I like the rest.

 

X-Force wave is kind of a weird assortment, but I'm not complaining.  Cannonball I could skip (have the old version) but since I'll be buying the rest, may as well complete the BAF (even if I may just end up flipping him since I prefer the old Hulk Classics Wendigo).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2019 at 5:23 PM, bashpics99 said:

People have been fussing about this since ToyFair back in February.  I believe that the Hasbro rep told the fwoosh guys that the budget didn't allow for both blast effect and legs so since they couldn't include both they went with blast effect.  Guess we'll have to wait and see whether this figure sells poorly as a result (i suspect a lot of the folks complaining about him will still end up buying him and then continue to complain about it... which, hey, that's their right).   It doesn't bother me personally since i would probably pose him with the blast effect 90% of the time even if he came with legs... but then i'm not really a huge Cannonball fan to begin with, just glad to get some more new mutants to team up with Warlock and Magik.

The X-force wave is shaping up to potentially be my favorite wave of the year (80th anniv stuff aside), as all 6 characters have at least some appeal for me.  The Vintage wave also seems pretty nice; currently my only must-have is Silver Samurai but I would probably get Storm and Ice-Man. Might end up grabbing Dazzler too.  

I suspect if he sells well it'll be for completionist reasons or through having to buy the whole case. Not sure if a casual buyer would want. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2019 at 12:53 PM, Hogun said:

I got rid of the Punk Rock Storm figure because she made me feel uncomfortable. So, I'm hoping they'll release a Storm without the mohawk.

I'm really confused. What made you feel uncomfortable? It's my personal favourite look for the character, and while I understand it's not most people's, I'm having a hard time working out how it would cause you actual discomfort.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The real travesty with Cannonball is not the missing legs, but the proportions of the blast field, which doesn't even look big enough to contain the mass of his legs. It really should have been a hollow attachment that went over his legs, even if it had to be sold separately somehow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Benn said:

The real travesty with Cannonball is not the missing legs, but the proportions of the blast field, which doesn't even look big enough to contain the mass of his legs. It really should have been a hollow attachment that went over his legs, even if it had to be sold separately somehow.

Toy Biz did a Hydro Man with either hollow leg effect (TAS line) or detectable water spout legs (Spider-Man 6 inch line), It's surprising Hasbro could do one of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2019 at 12:53 PM, Hogun said:

I got rid of the Punk Rock Storm figure because she made me feel uncomfortable. So, I'm hoping they'll release a Storm without the mohawk.

 

15 hours ago, Benn said:

I'm really confused. What made you feel uncomfortable? It's my personal favourite look for the character, and while I understand it's not most people's, I'm having a hard time working out how it would cause you actual discomfort.

Yeah i'm confused too.  But a poster on the fwoosh said they passed on buying mohawk Storm because "she shows too much cleavage", so go figure. To each his own.

On topic, definitely excited to see what version of Storm is coming, either 90s or FA would be great, although i have the older black costume 90s version and imo it holds up pretty well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tarot said:

what I want most from this storm is not the costume but a head sculpt showing off her blue eyes. I mean we always get the powered up head but never one with her blue eyes.

Good call! I'd love to see an alternate head showing her blue eyes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 12:32 PM, MonsterChris said:

I don't know if anyone is calling it that except for the fans.  Maybe Hasbro has and I missed it though.

I'm pretty stoked on almost all of these!  Storm and Iceman would be very welcome if true!  Not really much interest in the X-Force Wolverine, but that's a me thing, not a him thing.  Nightcrawler looks fine (except for the rigid tail - come on!) but probably not good enough to bump his Toybiz predecessor off the shelf the way that many of the Hasbro redos have been lately.

I hope hope hope we get an alternate head for Wendigo somewhere down the line.  The one we're getting right now looks great and it's cool to see the modern interpretations getting love, but I'd like something a little closer to the John Byrne / Georges Baptiste incarnation.  Bet we'll see a lot of mods using the old Hulk wave head on the new BAF body.

Hasbro actually refers to it as the X-Force wave, its not a fanmade name. This theme started out as Deadpool but I guess they ran out of Deadpool figures so now they call it X-Force.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2019 at 9:38 AM, Lordtom said:

I suspect if he sells well it'll be for completionist reasons or through having to buy the whole case. Not sure if a casual buyer would want. 

I will get it but it would have been nice if it included legs. Yeah Toy Biz did a Hydro Man back in the day with a similar gimmick and it was kinda annoying. The updated Hasbro one even without regular arms is much nicer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2019 at 10:24 PM, joenubb said:

@RecklessEndangerment @Starlord67 You're both right, and I'm surprised how many people have mistaken the Cockrum/Byrne version as the Jim Lee design. I do hope that Hasbro gets around to it one day but I'm excited to get the classic Colossus.

So the term "Jim Lee" style is a fan made designation, Hasbro doesn't officially refer to any of their figures as Jim Lee style. The new Colossus as several other recent X-Men figures have been lumped in with the likes of Cyclops and Jean Grey because they look close enough to how they appeared in the X-Men books around the time Jim Lee was working on X-Men to work. This new Colossus isn't an exact match to Jim Lee's art but it much closer than the previous one Hasbro did and if people plan on having a Jim Lee X-Men figure shelf on display I guarantee this is the Colossus figure they will use unless they choose to go with an older Toy Biz one. Jim Lee is a much more household name than Cockrum or most other comic book artists that have worked on these characters over the years and probably helped influence these designs in one way or the other. It's not meant to be an insult to any particular artist, just an easier way to reference what people are interested in seeing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE