Marvel Legends 6" Marvel Comics 80th Anniversary Fan Channel Exclusives

JayC

39 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Agree....too much Wolverine. At the very least, space him out more. They could have gone with an original Ice Man, or Thunderbird instead. Polaris in the Shi'ar costume, an improved mohawk Storm in the CORRECT body buck (!), even a Snowbird or Destiny figure. Maybe do X-Force wolvie version next year instead.

At least the Wolverine look diferent unlike the armies of MCU Caps and Iron Men. Still one Logan a year would be fine

Boom Boom is the only one of these figures that I plan to get so I'll have to pick up the Wendigo BAF on Ebay. I love those two figure but the rest of the wave is just a re-hash of figures I already have. I won't be crushed if I don't get the Wendigo BAF because still have the last release, but would love to have both.

3 hours ago, Atlantis said:

While I like Wendigo and am so very glad they went with a more accurate colour for him than the prototype, Im not enthused about this line up. Nightcrawler is PERFECT.....definite must-have.....and I have a soft spot for Captain Canuck, I mean Vindicator/Guardian, so he's in too. But the metallic red doesn't appear to be there. Why??  If anyone out there remembers the Randy Bowen busts, he made 2 versions and the metallic one was incredible. The promo shot for the legends figure looked like it was going to be the same. But this scheme looks like a flat, bland cherry colour. And why he has that weird grumpy old man grimace, I don't know. The other figures are just a miss for me ( I never cared for Cannonball anyway, but totally agree that not giving him legs is nuts).

marvel_legends_guardian_figure.jpg

Totally agree. The non Metallic Guardian is a big let-down. Looks like Hasbro cheaped out at the last minute. And yes...that on-the-toilet-straining, old-man face! Sigh. The look seems to be based on the 'grimace of determination' expression that John Byrne used all the time on his characters. But man oh man it doesn't translate to plastic! Or at least the sculptor pushed it too far. A few steps back in the neutral direction would have made it right, plus a bonus head with a gritted teeth expression, ala X-Men 109. Any how, I'm still grateful for it. I've wanted a Guardian figure since I was a kid and I missed the previous TB versions. 

I'm all in for Nightcrawler, but that's about it for me too and this wave. 

5 hours ago, Air-Walker said:

Totally agree. The non Metallic Guardian is a big let-down. Looks like Hasbro cheaped out at the last minute. And yes...that on-the-toilet-straining, old-man face! Sigh. The look seems to be based on the 'grimace of determination' expression that John Byrne used all the time on his characters. But man oh man it doesn't translate to plastic! Or at least the sculptor pushed it too far. A few steps back in the neutral direction would have made it right, plus a bonus head with a gritted teeth expression, ala X-Men 109. Any how, I'm still grateful for it. I've wanted a Guardian figure since I was a kid and I missed the previous TB versions.

I'm still holding out that it might be a light filter issue and he'll be a bit more metallic looking in hand. In reality, at this point I'm just happy He was able to avoid the Bucky Cap mold. They really need to start using this Spider UK mold more often. It really works for this one because the sculpted wrinkles really make it clear he's wearing some sort of suit.

7 hours ago, mako said:

As much as Cannonball not having legs bugs me, what makes it even worse is how poorly executed his "comet-tail" is.

It's not very dynamic, is it? Cannonball's whole thing is rocketing through the air like a . . . wait for it . . . CANNONBALL. This figure looks more like he's just hovering there. Either that or he was smuggling 80 gallons of popcorn butter under his shirt and the bag just broke.

If they had to do it this way, make him the figure without a BAF piece, and give him a flight stand, then make his tail a much longer separate piece, maybe with a curl or two. Something that suggests forward movement.

He's not really rocketing through the air, it's more like he is just taking off

5 hours ago, leokearon said:

He's not really rocketing through the air, it's more like he is just taking off

I think that was the point he was making. It's an entire figure stuck in a static pose based on a split second in time when he's launching himself off the ground. Sure, you can move his arms and head but posing him like he's really using his powers is outta the question. It's just a fail on all fronts. No legs for neutral poses, no blasting tail to represent his power set and as I mentioned before, due to the jacket, his head and arms don't even fully extend forward. Basically he's useless as an action figure cuz there's not any "action" to it whatsoever. Think of the ACBA guys who take the pictures for this forum. There's basically one pic that can be done and pretty much nothing else. Like I said before, if I didn't need the BAF part I would pass this thing like a bad check. 

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:41 AM, Lordtom said:

This has to go down as one of the most disappointing wastes of potential in recent history for ML.  No legs on cannonball should get whoever made that decision fired. Another Vindicator? YAWN! ANOTHER Wolverine that we've already had...twice! Sinister is a pale comparison to the Toybiz version. Nightcrawler is perfection which is why the rest of this line is so baffling. Boom Boom no removable glasses? And Wendigo feels so out of place where it should have been Strong guy. This feels like such a poorly thought out line. 

They could have swapped out (in?) Snowbird for X-Force Wolverine and Shaman or NorthStar/Aurora for Cannonball, considering how universally loathed that figure is. That way people aren't getting Logan fatigue and more of Alpha Flight is getting completed.

9 hours ago, mako said:

EXACTLY!

What's worse though, is Hasbro has worked their tales off to get where they are today. Then they release this!?! Way below their standards.

And I'm pretty sure the BAF piece is the only reason A LOT of people are gonna get this one.

Well they probably put a lot of working into the Blast effect, it just a case of good in theory, bad in practice.

9 hours ago, Atlantis said:

They could have swapped out (in?) Snowbird for X-Force Wolverine and Shaman or NorthStar/Aurora for Cannonball, considering how universally loathed that figure is. That way people aren't getting Logan fatigue and more of Alpha Flight is getting completed.

"Universally loathed" is a bit overstated.  I still plan to get the figure and I'm sure many other collectors will as well (and that likely  includes some of the loudest complainers).  That said, given that Wendigo is the BAF, another alpha flight member in the wave would've been nice, especially Snowbird.

I take it as a given at this point that every x-wave will have either a Logan or X-23 figure in some form.  When's the last time an x-wave didn't have a wolverine figure? Anyways while i feel like i have enough wolvies,  he is the most popular x-man, so if including him helps convince retailers to keep stocking the x-waves in toy aisles, i'm OK with it. 

59 minutes ago, tarot said:

i don't know why people are complaining. you know they will re-release him with legs at some point. hasbro take complaints and use them to make a profit.

You answered your question in the same phrase. It's because they WILL most likely do another one with legs later. And yes, we'll all have to shell out another $20+ to get it, just like we always do, when they coulda/shoulda just got it right the first time. Also, as Hasbro tends to veer away from doing straight redo's of previous figures, it will most likely be a different version of the character and the fans of the original X-Force character will be out of luck yet again. The second part of your statement backs up the case for "complaining" even more. If no one ever complains, how the hell else are they supposed to have the input to change things later to make said profit? Can't respond if you don't have anything to respond to.

54 minutes ago, jdgi said:

People will always complain, I think it’s great the way they did Cannonball and Hasbro is doing good

Also, what you both are referring to as complaining can also be perceived as honest criticism. Looking back, most of our comments were fair and factual. I don't see anyone that just berated the thing out of true hatred for the figure or the character. We all just seemed to point out legitimate flaws about what basically turns out to be a statue masquerading as an action figure. And no one ever said Hasbro isn't doing good. Ever since the launch of the Infinite line I think we can all agree that our opinion on how Hasbro is handling ML has been overwhelmingly positive. It's when you're doing a good job and get us accustomed to a certain standard that we're used to, that something like this Cannonball figure is such a disappointment to the fans. A lot of us dislike this figure, maybe some will even hate it, but I've yet to see anyone completely write off Hasbro based on this, and a few other poor attempts.

I always love when someone tries to kill a discussion with this same old "mice drop". We should make a betting pool as to how many pages a thread will go before someone breaks out with the inevitable "why is everyone always complaining" crack. I'll put up the prize outta pocket.

I don't mind criticism. In fact I agree with most of what people are complaining. I display my figure in static poses since I don't have room so having him with legs is my ideal figure. 

What I don't agree with is this notion that if a few hate it, we all hate it. It's the same as saying, "why is this character in this wave when no one wanted him?" It's my most hated pet peeves of figure collecting when we get a new character and people whine about him being in it.

But like many people are saying, the figure itself actually looks fantastic. I don't think anyone will disagree with that. But it was poorly executed and it's most likely the fault of the bean counters. 

as for the wolverine figure, yes we have waaaayy too many Wolverines (heck this figure make me think the one that rumor in the 3-pack is Astonishing Wolverine.) But I have come to accept that Wolverine (and Spidey or MCU figures) are a necessary evil.

If i had to swap out figure, I would have swap out the Wolverine and put in some X-force related like Warpath. I'd leave the Cannonball though.

as a matter of fact, people complaining about the figures has lead to some good things. The prime example of this that always come to mind, is when we got a Animated Taskmaster. Expect for the Udon head, that figure was complained about not being the Classic version. Not a year or two later, Hasbro released a classic version. 

3 hours ago, tarot said:

i don't know why people are complaining. you know they will re-release him with legs at some point. hasbro take complaints and use them to make a profit.

People are allowed to complain if they aren't happy with a product. Also will there be another Cannonball with legs? Maybe but it isn't a guarantee

30 minutes ago, tarot said:

Just thinking about it there, if they are revealing (or putting stuff up for pre-order, god only knows what they have prepare for Saturdays reveal at SDCC. 

Note that the first 3 days may not reveal much but don't count Hasbro out until the Saturday.

Hopefully they will have new stuff and haven't spoiled it before then

I understand why people are complaining, perhaps I was to general in my last post. They could have added the legs, they went the other way, probably for costs reasons, what I don’t understand is why when there is a figure like this Cannonball that doesn’t meet all of the expectations, we (as collectors) tend to minimize what Hasbro has been doing all this time, we are getting a lot of characters, improvements and new ones, and they don’t seem to be ending any time soon. This is great for us!

2 hours ago, mako said:

Because its a terrible figure? Because Hasbro is asking us to spend adult collector line money on what is essentially a figure from one of the el-cheapo kiddie lines? Because as loyal Hasbro consumers we have the right/responsibility to complain when we see something we don't like? Because this is the internet on a slow news day, and if we didn't complain this place would be dead and you. me, and everybody else here would be forced to go out and do something constructive?

You remind me of an old friend. He had the same bitter-ish humor and asked lots of questions answering ones that were never asked. Good times.

16 hours ago, tarot said:

I think the "at some point" is very important. The J wave Storm was very sought after, it sold out in a wink and hasn't been seen since. That was released 5 years or so ago....Guardian/Vindicator was first done about 10 years ago. A lot of collectors just get tired of waiting that long, lose interest, and rightly refuse to pay jacked-up prices (I've seen that Storm go for $240.00 and up). Not sure we can count on lines getting completed- there's no completed Alpha Flight or (original) Guardians of the Galaxy teams. Also, we have seen Hasbro do some outstanding work, so if they're gonna make Cannonball with legs, why not just do that now, instead of putting out this mess? Personally don't care for the character, but I do want the figures to be as accurate as possible (I did a long rant about how sloppily the Vision was done), especially when we know Hasbro can do great things (Rogue, Omega Red, Mysterio, Sauron).