Question of the Month: Hasbro and MCU accurate

tarot

IMHO, While I do understand that Hasbro has to get these figure out in time for the movie in order to sell them to children, seeing the figure they have done in the 10th Anniversary and 10th Years lines,not to mention the ones from the Black Panther wave 2 and ones from the recent Endgame waves and exclusives like the Ebony Maw, Corvus Glaive and Shuri, show that if they had waited for a bit and made them later, the figure will not only look accurate but be waaaaayyy better then they had a right to be.

It depends for me, I'm mostly a comic collector but Hasbro's MCU figures are some of their best in terms of new sculpts, details, etc. I'm cool with waiting in order to get the most accurate representation of the movie character and not something based on a concept art that didn't make the final cut of the film. I also don't like them to wait too much because sometimes the hype dies down and I lose interest in figures based on the movie. 

I would say yes as far as MLs go, but that's without having any idea about whether BP wave 2 sold well or not.  Also, I think collectors have shown they are willing to shell out money for a "good enough" version of the character and then buy the same character again 6 mo. to a year later if they think the newer figure is more accurate or wears a costume more to their liking  (some examples:  mcu Thanos,  comic Magneto,  comic Colossus, debatably the new Doom figure).   So I'm not sure its in Hasbro's best interest to delay.  

I do think for the lines more oriented towards younger kids (basic line, 12" line) they could still time the release of the toys to coincide with the movie's release.  Altho honestly I've seen lots of those at WM and Target, they don't seem to be flying off the shelves like Ebony Maw and Ronin are (Cap is a different story)

Also,  both IW wave 1 and Endgame wave 1 seemed to suffer from the need to avoid having the toys spoil the movie, which in turn resulted in pretty weak waves (imo) as far as the mcu figures were concerned.    BP, Capt Marvel, and Far from Home don't seem to have the same problems.

Judging from how low the figures have gone on Amazon, BP Wave 2 seems to have been a dismal seller.

While personally I would prefer movie-accurate figures, I realize it's an impossibility to change the entire marketing scheme for that purpose.  The whole point is having the figures on-shelves while the movie is out, so that kids (or whoever) can go see the movie, and then go to the store and demand Mommy or Daddy to get them.  Cutting out the free marketing that the movies provide would likely result in entire waves rotting on pegs even more than they already do.  Sure, collectors would still buy what they're gonna buy, but you almost completely kill the "casual" market because by the time they hit shelves their attention has already moved on to something else.

53 minutes ago, Jmacq1 said:

Judging from how low the figures have gone on Amazon, BP Wave 2 seems to have been a dismal seller.

While personally I would prefer movie-accurate figures, I realize it's an impossibility to change the entire marketing scheme for that purpose.  The whole point is having the figures on-shelves while the movie is out, so that kids (or whoever) can go see the movie, and then go to the store and demand Mommy or Daddy to get them.  Cutting out the free marketing that the movies provide would likely result in entire waves rotting on pegs even more than they already do.  Sure, collectors would still buy what they're gonna buy, but you almost completely kill the "casual" market because by the time they hit shelves their attention has already moved on to something else.

I would love to see more accurate MCU figs, but like you said it doesn't work for their marketing plan, but for instance I really wish we would have gotten the Quantum suits in the accurate colors, you know they had made those toys months before they knew what the actual color was going to be and was based soley on artist protype art rather then the real movie outfits to get the ball rolling. I for one am not even huge on buying the movie figs anyways so I'm not that hurt by it all together.

Definitely wait, the lead up wave can be an all comic wave if they still want to pump out x number of waves per year and per theme.  The best example of why Hasbro should wait is the Black Order and especially Thanos himself.  Half of the Black Order looks amazing, and the other half only look okay from a MCU accuracy standpoint, it makes me wonder how great they could have been if they had waited.  But then there's Thanos...that original release was, is, and will always be atrocious.  To follow on it's heals by a matter of months with a better, more accurate version in the 10 Years line was almost like a slap in the face, considering that the Infinity War Wave 1 was pretty weak overall.  I finally broke down and got the 10 Years Thanos, but it still stings a bit, and I think it would have made Hasbro look better to fans and collectors if they had just waited and done it right the first time.  And yes, I get that it's a marketing thing to appeal to the kids when these figures show up alongside the movie, but on the flip side there aren't many kids that are going to get $120 in action figures to build the first Thanos, when they don't know who half of the characters are.

I'm confused which option is 'yes' and which option is 'no'. You asked a multiple choice question, not yes-or-no. (:

Personally, I'd always rather the figures be more accurate than timely, but I think that's far more clearly not an option for Hasbro than even my wish that the movie line and comics line be divorced from one another.