Marvel Canceling All X-Men Titles And Relaunching Brand With New Event In July

JayC

Marvel Comics will be canceling all their X-Men titles and then plans on relaunching the property yet again starting with two titles called House Of X and Powers Of X in July. These will be penned by Jonathan Hickman. These two titles will last for 12 weeks at which point Marvel will then be launching an entire new universe of X-books, some of which will be of traditional fare, some will carry through on plot points presented in HOX and POX, and some books bring completely new concepts to the X-Universe. Hickman is said to be helming the new untitled flagship title for X-Men at that point.

Of course in the tradition of Marvel, to celebrate this latest X-Reboot, they will be doing a number of variant and incentive covers for the new HOX and POX titles.

Marvel will partner with participating retail stores to host HOUSE OF X #1 LAUNCH PARTIES. In addition to exclusive variant covers, participating retail stores will receive exciting promotional items, including special flower seed packets!

All participating retailers will receive the following incentives as part of the HOUSE OF X #1 PARTY:

· HOUSE OF X #1 PARTY SKETCH VAR (free copy)

· HOUSE OF X FLOWER SEED PACKETS (BUNDLE OF 25) (APR198091)

Retailers who choose to opt into the party will also be able to order the following items:

· HOUSE OF X #1 PARTY VARIANT (MAY190700)

· HOUSE OF X #1 LARRAZ PREMIERE VARIANT (MAY190701)

· HOUSE OF X FLOWER SEED PACKETS (BUNDLE OF 25) (APR198091)

·
Additional offers celebrating HOUSE OF X #1 are available to retailers and do not require a party opt-in to order:

· HOUSE OF X #1 LARRAZ POSTER

· HOUSE OF X #1 (of 6) PICHELLI FLOWER VAR (MAY 190694)

· HOUSE OF X #1 (of 6) CHARACTER DECADES VAR (MAY190695)

· HOUSE OF X #1 (OF 6) MADUREIRA VAR (MAY190696)

· HOUSE OF X #1 (OF 6) NOTO VAR (MAY190697)

· HOUSE OF X #1 (OF 6) COCKRUM HIDDEN GEM VAR (MAY190698)

· HOUSE OF X #1 (OF 6) YOUNG VAR (MAY190699)

· HOUSE OF X #1 (OF 6) BLANK VAR (MAY190702)

· HOUSE OF X #1 (OF 6) HUDDLESTON VAR (MAY190693)

· HOUSE OF X #1 (OF 6) CHRISTOPHER ACTION VAR (MAY190692)

· HOUSE OF X #1 (OF 6) BROOKS CONNECTING VAR (MAY190691)

*Note retailers may also order these promo items individually through Diamond. Check Marvel Mailer/Diamond for details.

Retailers are encouraged to check their Marvel Mailer and Diamond Daily for more information about the HOUSE OF X #1 Launch Party and how to opt-in before Monday, 7/1. Experience the next seminal moment in the history of the X-Men with HOUSE OF X, and head to your local comic shop on July 24th, 2019, to get your hands on HOUSE OF X #1!

HOUSE OF X #1
Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN
Art and Cover by PEPE LARRAZ
On Sale 7/24/19

HOUSEOFX2019001_Noto-var.jpg

HOXPOXSEEDS2019001_2HOX.jpg

HOXPOXSEEDS2019001_2POX.jpg

Honestly this just seems like another Marvel gimmick relaunch to me. IMO if Marvel was serious about getting their X-Titles back on track, they should cancel everything and then just relaunch Uncanny X-Men and X-Men and let those two titles run for like a year before expanding out any additional titles. Really establish a core team and tell some good stories and then expand from there. I know they will never do that cause they couldn't make enough money off of just doing 2 X-Men books, but like I said if they were really serious about getting things on track that or something along those lines would be a better route than this.

1 hour ago, JayC said:

Honestly this just seems like another Marvel gimmick relaunch to me. IMO if Marvel was serious about getting their X-Titles back on track, they should cancel everything and then just relaunch Uncanny X-Men and X-Men and let those two titles run for like a year before expanding out any additional titles. Really establish a core team and tell some good stories and then expand from there. I know they will never do that cause they couldn't make enough money off of just doing 2 X-Men books, but like I said if they were really serious about getting things on track that or something along those lines would be a better route than this.

Those feelings are best suited for the previous relaunch, in which they just had an ensemble team of writers and made the title weekly for 10 issues. This time they've wooed Jonathan frikin' Hickman back to Marvel to write the book. This shows they're being serious this time.

I think this is awesome news.

I kind of knew something was on the horizon since Blue/Gold/Red all ended.  The way editorial stepped in and changed the plans that the writers of those books had at the end, said they had a certain direction they were heading in.  Then Disassembled happened, which was leading the X-Men to their darkest days (as seen in Uncanny now) and Age of X-Man.  So, POX and HOX must spin right out of how Age of X-Man and Uncanny end and then give us a new direction for the line.  I'm really hopeful it'll be good.  I didn't read Hickman's Fantastic Four (though I know it's seen as a great run on the book), but I did read his Avengers run and I really had a hard time reading that book when he was on it.  I found it very confusing and I couldn't understand a lot of what was going on, plus there were SOOOO many characters in the book, so I'm hoping I don't feel the same way about his X-Men.

Haven’t bought any new comics in a couple of years but Hickman on X-men is definitely enticing as I liked his FF and Avengers runs as well as Secret Wars. That said, no guarantee that his success on other titles automatically implies his X-run will be a success as others have tried and failed (Brubaker comes to mind). 

As far as starting over with number 1, it’s annoying but hey, blame the fans as it does seem to provide a (temporary) sales boost. Doesn’t bother me much since I’ve only bought trades (or borrowed from the library) in recent years. What really turns me off are the annual or even semi-annual  “events” that disrupt the flow of the monthly titles while being lackluster at best and , at worst, are awful AND tend to throw heroes’  previous characterizations out the window.

15 hours ago, ADour said:

Those feelings are best suited for the previous relaunch, in which they just had an ensemble team of writers and made the title weekly for 10 issues. This time they've wooed Jonathan frikin' Hickman back to Marvel to write the book. This shows they're being serious this time.

They've not done what I was suggesting since forever. 50 million x-titles with characters and stories all over the place which is what this basically sounds like this will end up being not only gets confusing, it's impractical with the cost of comics these days and also just flat our boring IMO. As for Hickman, my only exposure to him was with his Avengers run which I thought was god awful so sorry if I don't share your excitement there.

2 hours ago, JayC said:

They've not done what I was suggesting since forever. 50 million x-titles with characters and stories all over the place which is what this basically sounds like this will end up being not only gets confusing, it's impractical with the cost of comics these days and also just flat our boring IMO. As for Hickman, my only exposure to him was with his Avengers run which I thought was god awful so sorry if I don't share your excitement there.

I loved Hickman's Avengers, it was different and really gave the Avengers a grand scale. 

Still as I said, unless some big chances happen with the X-men, it doesn't matter who writes them

7 hours ago, JayC said:

From the looks of it, they are doing what you suggested. Instead of "X-Men" and "Uncanny X-Men," the titles are called "House of X" and "Power of X." This relaunch is cutting the entirety of the X-books to only two titles. They're even ending tangential spin-offs like X-Force. As for Hickman, he isn't my favorite writer either, but I can see that his return to Marvel after four years is something big. I think it even shows the level of trust they're putting on this project that the two books have rather odd names like "House of X" and "Power of X" instead of anything more much more marketable.

5 hours ago, ADour said:

From the looks of it, they are doing what you suggested. Instead of "X-Men" and "Uncanny X-Men," the titles are called "House of X" and "Power of X." This relaunch is cutting the entirety of the X-books to only two titles. They're even ending tangential spin-offs like X-Force. As for Hickman, he isn't my favorite writer either, but I can see that his return to Marvel after four years is something big. I think it even shows the level of trust they're putting on this project that the two books have rather odd names like "House of X" and "Power of X" instead of anything more much more marketable.

House of X and Powers of X will run for 6 issues each every two weeks, we will get 12 issues in total, THEN we will get the relaunch, with different titles, and Hickman will write the flagship title, I expect it to be Uncanny X-Men.

1 hour ago, jdgi said:

House of X and Powers of X will run for 6 issues each every two weeks, we will get 12 issues in total, THEN we will get the relaunch, with different titles, and Hickman will write the flagship title, I expect it to be Uncanny X-Men.

Yeah, I know. However, House and Powers are the beginning of the relaunch, or rather the first phase, so what comes next is equally important, but it's just the second phase.

• 2 months later...

Anyone pick up the first issue of House of X? Wasn't a bad start of a story though not worth the $6 it cost. Someone will have to catch me up to date on how so many dead characters are back in the land of the living including Prof X who last I knew was dead and had his brain incorporated into the Red Skull.

Also they released a list of Omega Level mutants in the issue. Was surprised to see Iceman and Storm listed on there. I know they are powerful but never thought of them on the same power level as Magneto, Franklin Richards, or Phoenix.

11 minutes ago, JayC said:

Anyone pick up the first issue of House of X? Wasn't a bad start of a story though not worth the $6 it cost. Someone will have to catch me up to date on how so many dead characters are back in the land of the living including Prof X who last I knew was dead and had his brain incorporated into the Red Skull.

Also they released a list of Omega Level mutants in the issue. Was surprised to see Iceman and Storm listed on there. I know they are powerful but never thought of them on the same power level as Magneto, Franklin Richards, or Phoenix.

I haven't read anything in a looooong time, but last I knew Iceman's been Omega for a long time now. Since it's not quite cryokinesis but thermokinesis and he can turn to all 3 states of matter, teleport in water, and reform after being evaporated.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:46 PM, memocromatico said:

I haven't read anything in a looooong time, but last I knew Iceman's been Omega for a long time now. Since it's not quite cryokinesis but thermokinesis and he can turn to all 3 states of matter, teleport in water, and reform after being evaporated.

Wow, these writers have gone way overboard on altering Iceman's power set. I was fine with him being able to just freeze things, make ice sleds, shoot icicles. He is not an omega level mutant. That's a slap in the face to those that truly rate that classification such as Magneto & Phoenix.  How many re-launches of the titles does this make now, 5-6?

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

Wow, these writers have gone way overboard on altering Iceman's power set. I was fine with him being able to just freeze things, make ice sleds, shoot icicles. He is not an omega level mutant. That's a slap in the face to those that truly rate that classification such as Magneto & Phoenix.  How many re-launches of the titles does this make now, 5-6?

IMO it made sense since his secondary mutation turned him into "organic ice" and not just ice armor. If he IS ice, and ice melts into water, and water evaporates... why couldn't him? It's been that way for a long time, like the 90's probably. It all started with Emma Frost taking over his body and making his powers do things he didn't think he could. 

"secondary" mutation? Wonder why Cyke hasn't actually gown 1 single eye then? Or why hasn't Colossus mutated further? Nah, just bad writing imo & writers not respecting the source material & making their own changes to everything just for the heck of it. My Iceman figure will always just be good ol Bobby Drake & make ice sleds & freeze people/stuff.

28 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

"secondary" mutation? Wonder why Cyke hasn't actually gown 1 single eye then? Or why hasn't Colossus mutated further? Nah, just bad writing imo & writers not respecting the source material & making their own changes to everything just for the heck of it. My Iceman figure will always just be good ol Bobby Drake & make ice sleds & freeze people/stuff.

Writers make the source material, and can alter characters as they see fit. If writers didn't go around developing or expanding on characters' powers, Superman would still be leaping high instead of flying.

2 hours ago, Gigantor said:

This panel is from 1989. He's been a mega power for a long time now.

20190804_215148.jpg

14 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

That may be so but in many cases, it doesn't make it right to mess with characters origins/powers,, if it ain't broke, it doesn't need fixing. Maybe instead of altering/changing characters power sets, they should just focus on making a good story that utilizes that characters powers/abilities.

That's not a reason a writer can't expand on a character's powers. "It doesn't make it right"... And what is it that makes it not right, personal preference? Iceman's powers have been upped since the 90s, so these complaints are coming in a bit late.