Marvel Canceling All X-Men Titles And Relaunching Brand With New Event In July

JayC

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

"secondary" mutation? Wonder why Cyke hasn't actually gown 1 single eye then? Or why hasn't Colossus mutated further? Nah, just bad writing imo & writers not respecting the source material & making their own changes to everything just for the heck of it. My Iceman figure will always just be good ol Bobby Drake & make ice sleds & freeze people/stuff.

Plenty of mutants have had secondary mutations explained within the books. Emma Frost wasn't always able to turn to diamond, for example. It's a really old concept. Your personal preference is fine, but you're dissing on something that happened around 30 years ago. It's a bit late man.

4 minutes ago, monron999 said:

Yup, he actually wore an inhibitor belt for a while in X-Factor.

I always refer to that as his "Intercontinental Champion" look

20190804_221106.jpg

18 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

Plenty of mutants have had secondary mutations explained within the books. Emma Frost wasn't always able to turn to diamond, for example. It's a really old concept. Your personal preference is fine, but you're dissing on something that happened around 30 years ago. It's a bit late man.

30 yrs ago he couldn't turn into water vapor &  dissolve into a puddle of water & want not. I have those comics from back in his X-factor days & him having to wear an inhibitor belt to control his ice powers, had zero issues with that. His body was a normal & just his skin could turn into ice, I don't believe that his internal organs shifted to ice as well.

28 minutes ago, ADour said:

That's not a reason a writer can't expand on a character's powers. "It doesn't make it right"... And what is it that makes it not right, personal preference? Iceman's powers have been upped since the 90s, so these complaints are coming in a bit late.

But could he do back then in the 60s-70s-80s & 90s what current writers now have him capable of doing is the question?

But could he do back then in the 60s-70s-80s & 90s what current writers now have him capable of doing is the question?

You gotta understand though, man. Aside from every writer having to put their own "flavor" into their favorite characters, people, even normal people grow into and evolve in their abilities as they age. To make a stupid analogy, Michael Jordan had athletic talent but he wasn't even a starter on his high school basketball team, but he developed his abilities to get into college and eventually the NBA and become a superstar. He even evolved further through his career to change from what many considered a selfish showboat to one of the best and most motivating teammates of all times. Things change. Cyclops powers haven't changed much, but his beliefs and methods towards the human race have evolved immensely. Everything is relative. 

I don't understand the question since there's nothing to it besides answering "No," and it doesn't prove anything. Plus, he could do this kind of stuff in the 90s, considering his powers have been upped for over 20 years.

Iceman is powerful but the term Omega Class mutant to me really refers to those with powers that unchecked could destroy the Earth. When the term was first used that was the level of mutant it was used for. Now maybe that has changed or been redefined but it's still what I think of when I see it used and as powerful as Iceman is I dont really think of him being in that category level.

Anyway back on main subject, I read Power Of X #1 and that was not very good. The cost of both these comics is ridiculous but I at least enjoyed the story on House of X. Power of X seemed pretty pointless.

15 minutes ago, JayC said:

Iceman is powerful but the term Omega Class mutant to me really refers to those with powers that unchecked could destroy the Earth. When the term was first used that was the level of mutant it was used for. Now maybe that has changed or been redefined but it's still what I think of when I see it used and as powerful as Iceman is I dont really think of him being in that category level.

From what I've read, mostly the reason why Iceman doesn't appear as powerful is because he doesn't believe he's that powerful. That's why he appears to lose his powers on M-Day, but turns out he was repressing them out of the fear and belief of not being enough to be an X-Man. It's a beautiful, human flaw that made me relate to him a lot growing up.

27 minutes ago, JayC said:

Anyway back on main subject, I read Power Of X #1 and that was not very good. The cost of both these comics is ridiculous but I at least enjoyed the story on House of X. Power of X seemed pretty pointless.

I think they did change/alter the definition of being an Omega level mutant. I read somewhere online that the new definition is if that particular mutant is the most powerful with his or her's given power set. Since Iceman is the most powerful with ice abilities he's an Omega level mutant. So for example, by that definition, Polaris will never be an Omega level mutant because Magneto is the Omega level mutant when it comes to magnetism. Personally I don't like this new definition.

58 minutes ago, Emnems80 said:

I think they did change/alter the definition of being an Omega level mutant. I read somewhere online that the new definition is if that particular mutant is the most powerful with his or her's given power set. Since Iceman is the most powerful with ice abilities he's an Omega level mutant. So for example, by that definition, Polaris will never be an Omega level mutant because Magneto is the Omega level mutant when it comes to magnetism. Personally I don't like this new definition.

That's kinda dumb, cuz though many mutants share similar abilities rarely do they have the same exact power set. You could expand apon that in so many directions it's almost altogether pointless. And what of these secondary mutations someone mentioned earlier? Polaris and Magneto have almost identical powers, but Polaris does have a secondary mutation that appears when her magnetic powers are suppressed. As far as I know Magneto (the real Magneto) has no such mutation. Even if he did have a secondary I doubt it would be the same exact one. So does that mean they are two distinct power sets in which case they could both be the Omega? If not, are the powers close enough that they can be considered the same and graded against each other, and if so who makes that determination? It's so convoluted. I always thought Omega level was one whose power could have massive globe changing affect should they lose control. It's been prominently said that Iceman has massive levels of power if he were ever to lose control of it basically causing a chain reaction that would freeze the Earths atmosphere. Kinda the backwards case with Johnny Storm. Consequently this is the reason he might seem at times like he's not all that powerful at all, as he's always fighting for control, holding himself back. Kind of a double edged sword, all the power in the world to do almost anything you want, yet to dangerous to even know how far you can push it before tragedy.

43 minutes ago, monron999 said:

all the power in the world to do almost anything you want, yet to dangerous to even know how far you can push it before tragedy

Plus, Thor did warn Bobby not to break loose lest he wanted to face him in the First Class mini series. There was a flashforward panel where Bobby turned into an Ice Giant monster that froze all of Midgard, IIRC.

3 minutes ago, Starlord67 said:

Not to change the subject but is anybody else irritated about the "NEW" Captain Britain?  I don't want to spoil anything but I really liked BRIAN BRADDOCK as the good CAPTAIN.

If you mean the arab lady, that was from an alternate universe during that secret wars. Not the main cap brit. Brian is still cap brit in the main timeline and she had her own identity, excalibur ( essentially because she weilds the sword)

On 8/4/2019 at 10:34 PM, Gigantor said:

Yes, he could do some of it in the 80s and 90s, and it was made clear by Emma Frost in the early 90s that he was capable of a lot more than he was actually doing. In the 60s and 70s, when he was a teenager, his skill set was definitely weaker. That's pretty organic writing, whether you like it or not. He's been a known omega-level mutant since the term appeared, and a major part of his character for half his history has been slowly coming to terms with the magnitude of his power level.

22 hours ago, Starlord67 said:

Not to change the subject but is anybody else irritated about the "NEW" Captain Britain?  I don't want to spoil anything but I really liked BRIAN BRADDOCK as the good CAPTAIN.

I think the new Captain Britain has plenty going on as a character without this change, and didn't need the new role, but honestly it's not even the first time they've taken up this particular mantle. It's whatever. Marauders and New Mutants definitely have my attention.