SDCC 2019 Predictions

tarot

It's that time of the year again people. That time of the year where we wait patiently for the biggest event of Action Figure collectors. The San Diego Comic Con is less then a few weeks away so it's time to tell us what you prediction are for Hasbro to reveal.

Now for the new people who don't know what I mean, this is an annual thread where we give our thought and hopes on what we think Hasbro will reveal in the SDCC. Stuff like what what waves we will see in the con and try and see if we turned out to be right.

MY predictions:

• Some more Spider-man legends. Maybe another wave for Far from hom
  • The start of the next X-wave
  • Another Vintage wave, maybe to replace the Avengers line since they haven't any movie confirmed to 2020. (I mean there is movies coming but nothing is confirmed.)
  • A third Avengers: Endgame wave that more then likely will be all MCU.
  • maybe a vintage X-force wave.
  • Confirming some Walgreen exclusive rumours - Moonstar or Super-skrull
  • MAYBE a full Fantastic 4 wave since they got back the full lisence
  • More exclusives
  • Prototypes we don't where theyt will be place.

This time of the year is great!

my predictions:

The rest of the 80 years figures

2 or 3 figures from 2020’s X-Men wave

Classic costumes for characters for the next Vintage wave

I agree, a third Endgame wave

A Fantastic Four full wave

Exclusives (walgreens, amazon)

Ultimate Riders for 2020 

I agree with some new X-Men figures and maybe some more obscure ones now that we look to be finishing the Jim Lee 90's team. Maybe complete the team that first introduced us to Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus. We need Thunderbird, a redo of Banshee, and first appearance Storm.  As well as more Outback X-Men team mates, Rogue, Psylocke, and Longshot. Redos of Pyro and Avalanche!

Spiderman, I hope to see more New Warriors introduced in this line. Another member of the Light Foundation symibyotes. I know I probably misspelled Symbiote.

Vintage Collection, I would like to see a classic Dr Strange make his way out with a comic Falcon.

Villains, Comic Mandarian and some more classic villains.

Another X-Force wave, give us a classic Warpath, Siren, Farrel.

Two Packs, I like the X-Factor Polaris and Havok rumor, I hope its true. Also would like to see an Alpha Flight two pack with Aurora and Northstar, might could make it a 3 pack and sneak Puck in there.

I know I keep saying I will be done after this and that but I probably will keep collecting lol.

There will be 3 X-Men waves next year. They will also include Deadpool, X-Force, X-Factor & Alpha Flight characters. No X-Factor specific wave.

The vintage waves will further be refined into Avengers, X-Men & Spider-Man waves. Be on the lookout for classic Vulture and Falcon.

Avengers waves will continue but will mostly be comic based. Some overlooked MCU characters and First 10 Years repaints will make it into the waves. Possible Captain America and Iron Man specific waves (if Hasbro's smart).

Fantastic Four will return in a big way, possibly with 2 waves. Doom and more In humans will be represented.

With the shortage of MCU properties there will be Agents of SHIELD product. Possibly as comic/television 2 packs.

Robbie Reyes with Hellcharger will be announced as a Fan Channel exclusive

Cannonball and Doppleganger will continue to be the worst figures of 2019.

I'm guessing we'll see confirmation of the rest of the 80th anniversary stuff and the Walgreens Dani Moonstar, and I'm hoping we'll get a peek at a few figures from the first X-Men wave next year. I'm also hoping armoured Psylocke and New Mutants Magik are among them, but prepared to be let down. (: I'd settle for Karma and Chamber.

As much as I love reading all of the predictions , I really always feel like we just can't actually predict anything, it seems like a dream shoot, but with that being said I feel we will see more 80th anniversary stuff , which I think will be like someone else said some 10th anniversary cast aways, and either being in a vintage line or 80th a Comic Falcon, the new rumoured Wal-Greens figs I'm sure will get shown which should be Dani Moonstar, Super Skrull and I wanna say Warpath (I feel he's gonna end up being that way) , Probably see a few new X-Men for 2020 and Spidey stuff (as per usual) , I feel like we are going to see a return of the Mojo BAF or Blob BAF for new X-Men waves, and for Spidey we will see Comic Classic Vulture, Swarm (they know we want this) and maybe Vermin , *shrug* I dunno, I really just want an ALL symbiote wave (ala new Venom wave), or an ALL Chick wave (like the rest of A-Force)

• 2 weeks later...

Upcoming X-themed and Spider-Man waves are a given, and either more 80th Anniversary, MCU 10th, or both. As for MCU television division? I can’t see them producing anything that isn’t tied to the upcoming Disney+ shows. 

I agree that the number of X-waves will likely increase for 2020, possibly to be on par with SM in order to both fill the MCU void and to build momentum for X-Men’s introduction into the MCU; that would be great for me, the self-diagnosed X-phile. However, as mentioned above, a smart way for Hasbro to continue and maintain Avengers interest in the market would be to focus on comic based Cap and IM waves. This could open the door for redos of the 90s IM stuff and so on. 

Heres hoping for a Guido or Nimrod BaF!

6 minutes ago, mako said:

I don't see any appreciable increase in X-waves, at least till the next movie comes out, and according to everyone involved, that won't be for a few years.

There will still be X-Waves no doubt, but I doubt we'll see anything like this year (Caliban Series, Wendigo Series, X-Retro) again for quite a while. The ONLY reason we got those is because of Dark Phoenix and . . . you know how that worked out.

Hopefully it was more because of Disney acquiring Fox and therefore reacquiring the license to the X-Men movies, and less because of Dark Phoenix.

47 minutes ago, mako said:

The ONLY reason we got those is because of Dark Phoenix and . . . you know how that worked out.

I actually saw Dark Phoenix, and you know what? It was good. It was worse than Days of Future Past and Logan, but better than First Class, Apocalypse, and the entire original trilogy. It was neither a masterpiece nor a disappointment. Just like Solo before it, it ended up a failure because nobody went to see it, not because it's not worth seeing.

Regardless, I'd be surprised if either Disney's Fox deal or Dark Phoenix had all that much to do with the quantity of X-products this year. I'd guess it was because the X-Men waves have all sold so well, and they wanted to see if an increase in output was sustainable. And, regardless of the reason for three X-waves this year, the response seems to be overwhelmingly positive, with Beast, Jubilee, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Mr. Sinister, Storm, and Iceman carrying their waves forward with flying colours. Hasbro would be foolish not to keep that fire lit, especially given the relative absence of upcoming Avengers movies.

I tend to disagree with the increase being based on Dark Phoenix. I think there really was an embargo of sorts that has been lifted and we'll see more X-men in the future. 

I am wondering if the Inhumans will be ignored due to their shows failure. I still want the rest of the Royal family. 

I'm hoping for a preview of the Eternals figures but that will probably be in the future (toy fair 2020)

I'm excited to see anything really. I love Marvel Legends!!

The thing is that it takes a really long time to plan a wave. From concept to sculpt to approval to scheduling to hype-building and advertising, wheels are set in motion long before the products release, probably about two years out. Just look at how far ahead we get spoilers. We're finding out now about products releasing at the end of the year, and SDCC will likely preview stuff up to 10 months out. By the time we're seeing this stuff, the time-consuming and strategic work is long done.

When the plans for this year's line-up were finalized, Disney did not own Fox, and likely weren't even yet in talks to own Fox. And with X-waves in May, July, and August, surrounding a movie that released in June, you'd think they were geniuses, except that the movie was pushed back several times, and these waves had to have been planned with the belief that it was going to be out ages ago, possibly a year ago. This is punctuated by the lack of any version of Jean Grey in any of the three waves. Even if she releases in a fan channel exclusive box-set at the end of the year, that doesn't feel like a company planning around capitalizing on Dark Phoenix.

The only thing that makes sense is that early X-waves exceeded expectations and now they're seeing how far they can push it. That might honestly mean next year is a little light, because they wouldn't have had time to harvest this year's data before planning next year's lineup, but I'd bet anything 2021 will be another big year for X-Men fans.

Another thing to think about with X-Men is that the Age of Apocalypse released in 1995 and 1996, which means 2020 and 2021 are the 25th anniversary. I hope Hasbro's brewing something in celebration of one of the most popular storylines and alternate settings in Marvel's history.

I don't know why you guys are asking for more x-waves. I mean isn't 3 waves a year enough? and Yes I do count last year's Deadpool waves as x-waves and this year we have the standard wave, X-force wave and x-vintage. 3 waves a year is enough for me. I mean Spidey is only getting 2 waves a year with maybe a third if they have space. and that is even mentioning all the X-Clusive we get.

My predictions are the following:

• No X-Men Legacy Rogue
  • No X-Factor Investigations Madrox (and definitely not in a three or five pack)
  • No Bradstreet Punisher
  • No Squirrel Girl (again) or if there is it will definitely NOT be her USAvengers look
  • No Enigma
  • No classic Scourge of the Underworld

Or there will be most of these and they will all be Walmart Exclusives.  Basically there will be none of my top wants from the last several years or they will be impossible for me to get.  OPTIMISM!

6 hours ago, Benn said:

Three is plenty. I don't think anyone's asking for more than that, are they? We're just speculating on whether or not that'll keep up.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting or asking that we get more than 3 X-waves, I was just speculating that Hasbro is likely to maintain the levels that have shown this year, and keep X and SM waves on par as mainstays of the line. Tbh, I had failed to realize that 2019 has more X-waves than SM waves, so that may be why my earlier comment seemed confusing. However, I too think 3 X-waves is plenty. Not only would they purge the roster far too quickly with more waves, but I'd fear over-saturation too. 

Dark Phoenix started principal photography Summer 2017 and wrapped Oct 2017 for an original release date of November 2018, so they had plenty of time to plan around that for merchandise, toys etc. If the uptick in the amount of X-waves is based on Dark Phoenix, that would've materialized in 2018, but instead we got 2 Deadpool waves and an X-men wave.

If the director (Simon Kinberg, who wrote X3, Fan4stic and Apocalypse) of that trash movie (sorry I'm an x-men fan, and this hack's "Uncanny" ability to fail upwards really p*$$e$ me off) was in any way competent, that wouldn't have been delayed 1 more time for a total of 3 release dates.

All that said, Hasbro did announce a Dark Phoenix Gamestop exclusive Mighty Muggs. Does anyone else remember that? That thing never came out. Instead, a never-announced Wolverine Muggs never even showed up in stores but went directly to Ross/Winners. Weird.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2019 at 12:06 AM, Benn said:

I'm guessing we'll see confirmation of the rest of the 80th anniversary stuff and the Walgreens Dani Moonstar, and I'm hoping we'll get a peek at a few figures from the first X-Men wave next year. I'm also hoping armoured Psylocke and New Mutants Magik are among them, but prepared to be let down. 🙂 I'd settle for Karma and Chamber.

I did all right with my (admittedly pretty obvious) predictions.